• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

9/11 Memory Thread

Kermit

the Frog
american-flag.jpg

I think it would be cool if we all shared, as a community, our experiences on that day. Where we were at when we heard the news and how we felt about it. I'll start.

I was in 6th grade and I believe I was in a typing class. I heard rumors being spread in the hall between classes about the event and when I arrived at my next class we were notified. Many kids began to get scared mostly because they were kids and didn't know how to react to a situation like this. I recall many parents pulling their kids out of school. My teacher had a brother who worked at the World Trade Center. I never found out if he was one of the ones who died or not.​

I just remember the penetration of innocence on that day. I mean, we were only sixth graders and I didn't know how to take the news that many people had died during an attack on our country. It was something new that I had not faced before. I would definitely attribute this to one of my first "grown-up" moments that i experienced.

I was a pre-school wandering about my day not really caring what happended while watching my parents go crazy wondering if my uncle who worked next to the twin towers was ok.

honestley I dont remember much since it didnt affect me much.

I was disappointed when I found out the towers didn't do a Ric Flair flop.

I was actually in New York on that day in school. It was hell trying to get back home because the there was understandably a ton of panic on the transit systems. My aunt couldn't catch a train and had to walk across the Queensboro Bridge. You'd usually see the twin towers but it was replaced by them being burned to the ground.

I think I did a lot of growing up since then and my perspective of the world changed greatly. I guess you could say I lost my innocence that day. It's one of those moments that will stick with you forever and you'll be telling your grandchildren years from now.

I've stated several times that one of the few times I've seen my Dad cry was on 9/11. It truly was a horrific attack and the amount of times I've seen that building collapse it still pulls at my heart strings.

The UK lost more people in 9/11 than any country outside of the USA. 46 countriews (not including the terrorist countries) lost citizens that day. We lost more in 9/11 than 7/7.

Buckingham palace just after the attacks:

The UK lost more people in 9/11 than any country outside of the USA. 46 countriews (not including the terrorist countries) lost citizens that day. We lost more in 9/11 than 7/7.

This is one of the things that people forget. There were more than just Americans who were affected by the attacks.

I was in 6th grade and some kid was running down the halls saying "Someone crashed planes into the World Trade Center!" my first thought was "what's the World Trade Center?". They didn't let us out early or anything, we just went about our day as usual.

When I went home my mom was watching it on the news and trying to call my brother, who was actually working in the first tower and my Aunt who lived near by at the time. Luckily my brother made it out alright because he was working on the second floor, so he got out pretty early. It caused him a lot of psychological stress, he had just finished his time in the Marines and he said what made him lose it the most was seeing people jump out of the higher floors and landing next to him. He had to go to a psychologist for several months after that and he says he occasionally still has nightmares.

I myself was too young and didn't know enough about the world and life for it to hit me in any traumatic or emotional way at the time. I feel bad saying this but at the time I was more mad that every TV station for the next week only played the news than that it actually happened. A pretty selfish thing way to think looking back but what did I know?

R.I.P. to all that lost their lives.

I grew up in Queens, NY. From my house in Howard Beach, Queens you could see the Twin Towers. I had just awoke and showered and gone upstairs to say good morning to my grandfather and grandmother. We believed the first tower was an accident. Maybe an errant plane had gone off course; perhaps a pilot had fallen asleep my grandmother deduced. Then the second plane and we knew. We just knew. At that point, panic set in around the city. I actually called my boss and he decided we would open for business. On my way to work and all traffic had stopped. The world stopped. Life - stopped. It looked akin to a scene from Independence Day when people just stood outside their cars staring at the billowing smoke from across the tiny Howard Beach bridge into the city. How many places on Earth can be referred to as "the city"? How grand in stature must a city be to have earned that title?

I can't sit here and say I volunteered at the WTC, but what I did do was encounter several people who had to walk over the Brooklyn and 59th Street (Queensborough) bridge and gave them rides home since they didn't have their vehicles. All of them were covered in debris and soot. Two I remember were actually employees in the WTC.

New Yorkers, we are a proud bunch. We believe in our city. Most of us treat where we are from like a badge of honor; as if it were a nationality or ethnicity. We're not Italians or Americans or anything else. We're New Yorkers. That should sum it up. It's as if the culture of the city was sewn into the fabric of who are are. September 11th just reaffirmed that pride in our city. No city or group of people could've responded the way New York did. I was and still am proud to be from New York, but never more than on that day.

I just took my wife and three children to see the new Freedom Tower at One World Trade and explained to them the significance. Explained to them that daddy was here and saw it all and would tell them again some day about those brave men and women who died so other's could be afforded the opportunity to live. Those brave FDNY and NYPD soldiers who gave their lives. It has become somewhat of a slogan or "catchphrase" but it's appropriate -- Never Forget. I never will.

This next bit isn't a joke. I was just about in primary school when it happened and the other kids started talking about it. I remember saying something like 'it won't affect us though because it's in America?'. Not sure why that was my first thought or why it came out so insensitive but, hey, I was only 10.

The day after, I saw the newspaper's with 10 page articles on the incident and I somewhat revised my priorities about what went down. There is a half hour video of someone close to the buildings filming from their window on youtube and it really puts you there. I don't know if I would've coped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back