U2 vs INXS

• U2

• INXS

Results are only viewable after voting.

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone

3rd Round 80's Region Match

#4 U2 vs #36 INXS

Please take into account the entire body of work of the artists, their mark on the music industry and/or society as a whole, their influence on other artists, lyrics, music, etc. If you have not already done so, please review the rules of the tournament and the Wrestlezone Forums. Have fun! PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU VOTE FOR THE BAND YOU INTEND TO VOTE FOR! MOVING FORWARD, IF YOU CLICK THE WRONG BAND, YOUR VOTE WILL HAVE TO STAND!

This is a tough call.
A very tough decision indeed.

I don't think theres another band that can boast an impressive thirty years with a dozen studio albums with such insane levels of sucess and critical acclaim, and a frontman as iconic as Bono or Michael Hutchence.

You could not find two bands so evenly matched.
On one hand theres the greatest band (at least top three) ever to come out of Australia. A band so good, that even after the biggest setback any band could possibly have, they bounced back with a new lead singer and carried on their sucess. Not a lot of bands could do this and INXS have proved that their talent did not come from Hutchence alone.
On the other hand. Although INXS rock more than U2. The Irish boys have consistantly churned out great music since day one. A slower and deeper band than INXS, U2 are no strangers to rocking out infront of a huge crowd. In fact both sides have done their fair share of live tours and charitable appearances.

I really am not sure who to vote for, Bono is annoying, and Hutchence does kick ass, plus J.Ds pretty good too. But theres still no way i could make the call to go against U2 just yet. Talent like that can not be ignored.

I'm gonna wait to vote in this one. Maybe someone could make a passionate argument and convince me.

I am not sure how tough this is.

INXS was a decent but (IMO) forgettable New Wave band from the 80's who produced one true "hit" and a few decent songs.

U2 is Ireland's greatest contribution to rock music, and have not only influenced other bands, but also politicans, people, voters, etc. U2's music is so deep and complex, they try so many different styles and sounds, and when they want to be political, they hit hard and don't look back.

Compare "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me" to "New Year's Day." You'd almost think the songs were from different artists. Both were hit singles from U2, but each had a totally unique sound,

Now look at "She Moves in Mysterious Ways" and "Sunday, Bloody Sunday." Again, two totally opposite sides of the musical spectrum, but both worthy hit singles. Phenominal.

Also, after their run in the 80's INXS largely disappeared. U2 has hung around an is STILL putting out #1 records and songs in 2007. Vertigo was a HUGE hit in the US, and their collaboration with a resurging Green Day on "The Saints are Coming" was epic.

U2 in a LANDSLIDE.

I don't know,
Writing INXS off so easy would be a big mistake. You've got to remember that INXS have crossed the Pacific barrier, which not many bands can do, and if you lived on the south side of the equator, then this argument could be the other way up. I'd like to get an Aussie point of view on this one. *Sparky! get here!

I've got to admit i am a fan of U2, and 4 out of the 6 songs that you mentioned were undenyably brilliant examples of a great band, but calling INXS a one hit wonder (or somethink like that), i completely disagree, Suicide blonde, Elegantly Wasted and New Sensation were as great as anything they ever wrote. Even J.Ds song Pretty Vegas was a good one.

but calling INXS a one hit wonder (or somethink like that), i completely disagree, Suicide blonde, Elegantly Wasted and New Sensation were as great as anything they ever wrote. Even J.Ds song Pretty Vegas was a good one.

You have to remember the difference between a "good or great song" and a "hit song." But as it turns out, you may very well be right about this one. I just looked up INXS's singles, and the list is both exhaustive and impressive. I didn't expect so much US success from INXS outside of "Need You Tonight" which was a #1 hit in the US. "Suicide Blonde" did do quite well in the US as well, along with "Devil Inside." Not quite where "Need You Tonight" was, but respectable. In Aussieland they were revered.

But U2 had 58 singles. Nearly half of them hit #1 in Ireland, far more than INXS did in Austrailia. Vertigo, Hold Me Thrill Me, Discotheque, Staring at the Sun, One, Mysterious Ways, The Fly, With or Without You, Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, and Desire all went #1 in the US as well. In the U.K., Desire, The Fly, Discotheque, Beautiful Day, Take Me To The Clouds Above, Vertigo, and Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own all hit #1. How many other bands have so many #1 hits in so many countries!?

I will say it now. U2 shouldn't just crush INXS - they have a damn good shot at winning the 80's Bracket outright. I'd pick them over Metallica in a heartbeat.

Ok ok, that is a fair point, This is one of those times where I occasionaly agree with you.
I am actually ver impressed that you went and did some extra research.
And to be honest, i struggled to think of that many INXS singles where like you said, U2 have 58, and are more of a global and diverse band.
Ive spent the last few minutes trying to think of an answer to your question and im finding it hard.

As much as I hate Bono, it is impossible not to respect and admire what he has achieved. May i also point out, that the band have also been known to switch instruments and Bono has also stepped aside to let the other band members sing. This is truely a talented band.

U2 could win the whole competition you say? That sounds hard to argue at this point. I have a cd in my bedroom, which took me a long time to create, it is a compilation of all my favourite U2 songs all on one disk. That is major compliment to those Irish boys, they should feel privellaged, I've only ever done that with two other bands.... Oasis and the Stone Roses....... speaking of which....... Nah, on second thaughts I'll write it tomorrow.

Either way. U2 can take this one.

U2 in my mind, should do no worse than finish 2nd behind the Beatles in the entire tournament. These guys have been so successful for so long, influenced so many other musicians, and could have the first Rock and Roll frontman Nobel Peace prize winner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back