• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

80's & 90's: Intercontinental title a world title?

I would have to say this, the brand split is what screwed everything up. The titles are now being passed around like a blunt laced with dust. Seriously, everybody seems to have a title reign of some sort at one time or another. They have begun to get rid of some titles that really did not hold any prestige. The WWE did combine the tag titles (and I still wonder if they are just going to ever make a WWE World Tag Team Championship belt instead of the stupid unified title with both belts still) and the cruiserweight title is out of the picture. The ECW title has also become extinct as the brand no longer exists (and McMahons version of it did not make any sense anyway) The light heavyweight title was a joke and needed to be removed from the day it started. Anyway, if the WWE combined the brands all belts will have more prestige, but the problem would be only half the people would get their chance to hold the title of their choice, and the belts might then even be getting passed around faster.

I think that the intercontinental title back in the day was more prestigious than the world title is now. WWE has messed up alot with their title prestige especially IC. from the titles inception in 79 up until 1995 when it started to fade out there are 19 hall of fame type of wrestlers.there were only 21 champions in that 24 year period, now from 96 until now there have been only about 12 hall of fame caliber wrestler to hold the belt and many of them were far past their prime with the longest title reign being 265 days long thats nothing to brag about compared to the 454 back in the golden era of the title. there have been several 0 day title reigns in the modern era of the belt which does absolutely nothing for prestige except make it go down WWE needs to put the belt on one guy whos going to treat it like his baby and defend it at every opporutunity he gets. The elimination of brand splits can also help all the titles in prestige by combining belts together because it really serves no purpose to have two belts that are meant for the same purpose.

I think whatever main event title that is on Smackdown has taken the place of the IC title. I know due to the draft sometime those titles swap, but whatever title is on that show is the IC title of today. I mean look at Jack Swagger. If the IC title meant something that is what title he would be holding right now. If he was on Raw he wouldn't be the champion.

Also kind of a side note but still connected. All the titles don't mean as much as they use to. I just started watching wrestling again and all of a sudden they said Triple H was a like 13 time champion, Edge was a 9 time champion. When I stopped watching wrestling Edge was a 0 time champion and that was only like 8 years ago. None of the titles mean as much as they use to.

I've felt for a long time that because WWE has so many titles that the US and IC should be featured as a main event on tv. Only once in the company history has the IC main evented on a ppv and I certainly don't expect that. On the weekly tv show however, that's something else. The old NWA used their tv title in the same manner and it became very prestigous since guys like Dusty, Arn Anderson, Sting, Tully Blanchard and Jake Roberts all had it. I think the same idea would help those two belts.

What they really should do is Unified the WWE and World Heavyweight Title again and have the champ be on both brands and then make the US and IC title both mean something.

It would be a smart idea. Plus then they could have their golden boy John Cena boost the Smackdown Rating for the big switch to SyFy

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back