• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

2012's Summer Breakout Stars

Trill Co$by

Believes in The Shield!
In the past few years we've seen countless stars in WWE become the "Breakout star" of the Summer. Some of them went on to become a long time investment while others went on to become just that, a Summer Star. To name a few who've started as Summer Breakouts we have Dolph Ziggler, Zack Ryder, The Miz, R-Truth, CM Punk, Wade Barrett, Daniel Bryan, Christian, and Mark Henry... again, just to name a few.

With WrestleMania days away, I'm sure that WWE is already starting to look at names such as Cody Rhodes, David Otunga, Brodus Clay, and maybe even Justin Gabriel (who knows) as potential stars that they can launch in their next levels.

But my question is, who do you see as the top two Summer Breakout Stars this year, and why?

For me, I'm going to give the red ball of fire to 1. David Otunga and 2. Cody Rhodes. I'll start with David Otunga.

Ever since his appearance on NXT Season 1, WWE has never had nothing to do for David Otunga. Whether he was the guy running rapid on NXT with sheer dominance, impressing a lot of people who only knew him as Jennifer Hudson's husband to the days of being number two in Nexus to even becoming the legal adviser and team captain of Team Johnny... WWE has always had Otunga in their eyes in recent years. To me, they've just been looking to see what he's capable of and he's proven that he fits in WWE. He's got ring work that matters in WWE and his ability to carry himself on the microphone is definitely there. I personally believe that David Otunga can become a serious contender in 2012.

And now for Cody Rhodes.

Much like with Otunga, WWE in recent years has had nothing but good booking for Cody Rhodes. They started him off strong in his debut by putting him in a rivalry with Orton, which later set him in line for a World tag title reign with Hardcore Bob Holly. From there, came the infamous Legacy where he again amounted to another world tag title reign and even joined forces with DiBiase to have a decent tag team feud against the likes of DX. After the fall of Legacy, Cody seemingly floated around Smackdown until the spark of Smoke and Mirrors and the Dashing One was born.

Since the start of Dashing Cody Rhodes, we've seen him take on numerous of gimmick changes that many people wouldn't have been able to pull off, but Rhodes managed to do so. He's been put into high profile feuds with the likes of Sheamus, Randy Orton, Booker T, and now Big Show. WWE has already tested the interest level of Rhodes against former world champions, so it would stand to reason that by this Summer, Rhodes could be seeing his break into the main event.

So those are my two picks, what about yours?

Ziggler, Barrett and Punk.

I think Punk will rise even higher, by 2013 he will be at the pinnacle of WWE an Wrestling in general, I honestly think the best is still yet to come, he just hasn't been thrown in the ring with the right people until now, It starts with Jericho.

I think Rhodes will become a star in the fall or early next year, maybe a Royal Rumble Winner, I think he will hold the IC Title for a LONG time. Maybe till like SummerSlam or even Survivor Series.

Ziggler and Barrett are my breakout stars,

Punk is just someone who I think will help one or both of them,

Or Orton will help Barrett if he remains on Smackdown.

None, because none of the people on the roster who aren't already stars have the potential to be stars. People like Ziggler have proven time and again that they have absolutely no personality & need others to get them any type of reaction from the crowd. On top of that, creative has lost the ability to create stars. That's why they needed to bring back The Rock to headline the biggest show of the year & they are in talks with Brock Lesnar. That's also why there are rumors of an Austin/Punk match for the next Wrestlemania. The company has to rely on past stars to generate any kind of excitement because the current roster can't cut it. One of the guys you've mentioned may win a title, but that won't make them stars. Their reign will be utterly forgettable.

Just what is the definition of breakout star? I do not consider a guy winning a MITB or winning a world title to be a breakout star if he was a flop at the end. (jack swagger, cm punk first and second title reign)

i think cody rhodes might have some potential. Of all the young talents offered in the wwe, he does have good mic skill and can perform in the ring. And hes not one of these guys who is pushed to the moon and back down to earth. I think cody rhodes lack humour in his promo because they are funny. I think it will get him over. I like his promo about using big show as a verb and clamining him as the reverse undertaker. He still needs to discover his promo style because i still thinks hes a bit unnatural on the mic.

Alberto Del Rio : The guy is absolutely brilliant and one of the best talents WWE has signed since 2009. Alberto Del Rio is a great wrestler with great charisma and his wrestling style is great. His character is absolutely brilliant.

Drew McIntyre : Drew should have won some world titles by now but WWE dropped the ball on him in 2011. Hope they build Drew McIntyre as a main-event star and he wins some titles this year.

None, because none of the people on the roster who aren't already stars have the potential to be stars. People like Ziggler have proven time and again that they have absolutely no personality & need others to get them any type of reaction from the crowd. On top of that, creative has lost the ability to create stars. That's why they needed to bring back The Rock to headline the biggest show of the year & they are in talks with Brock Lesnar. That's also why there are rumors of an Austin/Punk match for the next Wrestlemania. The company has to rely on past stars to generate any kind of excitement because the current roster can't cut it. One of the guys you've mentioned may win a title, but that won't make them stars. Their reign will be utterly forgettable.

Totally agree with you. When was the last time you see a trend where people get excited to see a dolph ziggler vs daniel bryan or sheamus vs dolph ziggler in the future i understand having a top guy like austin or lesnar to compete is exciting but if there is no body in the current roster that can create a fraction of the excitement similar to austin/punk, then it really shows the lack of star power the current roster have.

The IWC loves the topic of pushing young talent and criticize old stars for stealing their spot light. However, if they were given the option to select between wade barrette vs undertaker and austin vs punk for wrestlemania, im pretty sure the answer is obvious.

Star power >>>>>> In ring talent. Who would you take if you were the booker for the wwe, danile bryan or batista?

Im gonna get IWC heat for saying this but at the end of the day, it is the truth.

It'll either be Barrett or Ziggler. I think this Summer will be the time that Barrett finally wins the big one though, as he'll be back from injury around there, have a great return, and start getting back to doing what he was on the verge of doing before dislocating his elbow.

EDIT: As long as he changes his damn theme music.

I see Cody Rhodes to walk out of SummerSlam as WHC and Ziggler with the WWE title. but I also think Barrett will be a star by Summer and have MITB

I'll be looking out for Dolph Ziggler, Sheamus, Wade Barrett and Cody Rhodes. I feel these are the 4 superstars that either with the right program or the correct push, something great will happen. Barrett minus the injury was on his way very much so. Cody with this whole IC title reign is very much on the brink. Despite that I personally feel his 'record breaking reign' has been a joke, it has given him a couple good programs because of it. I still believe Ziggler if allowed to work on his promo skills could be the next CM Punk. His matches are great. WWE has to let him develop his mic skills in order for him to be taken to that next level. If he's always depending on Vikki in a time where wrestling skill isn't everything then he will remain mid card at best. Sheamus has great things coming his way. I'd like to see more emotion from his character. Not any heel change or that non sense but just some emotion as he comes off a little plain for some reason. Wrestlemania should be a great indication as to where he stands after his match with Bryan. He had an overall weaker program but is working with one of the best in ring workers. If he can have a good match then I have high hopes.

Off the top of my head, I'm going with Wade Barrett as a definite break out star if he's able to return from his injury in time. According to stuff I've read, he was originally scheduled to win the MITB match at WrestleMania. The fact that he was unable to compete at WM was the primary reason that WWE scrapped the MITB match. Last I read, again if he's able to return in time, is to win MITB and feud with CM Punk later this year.

I see things getting back on track with Dolph Ziggler as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Ziggler went back to SD! and found himself in the WHC picture. It boggles my mind that someone actually tries to say Ziggler has no personality. Ziggler has improved by leaps and bounds on the mic, has worked hard to establish some presence as a character and has delivered a few really good promos. I can't say I'm surprised, however, as wrestlers who are elevated and put in the spotlight in WWE always have critics coming out of the woodwork. It's kind of a right of passage among WWE stars.

I'm predicting also that Drew McIntyre will start to come into his own. McIntyre is someone else that's really improved his overall game quite a bit. He's better in the ring, he's gotten solid at showing emotion with his body language and facial expressions. I can't really say anything about him on the mic as we haven't really heard much out of him in forever. But, I doubt he's gotten any worse.

Yea I agree with some of the fans...I don't believe the current roster can cut it. This is the reason why WWE is looking outside the company for past stars to generate revenue. They need to make new stars and fast.

Sorry but I don't see guys like Cody Rhodes, Dolph Ziggler, Jack Swagger, or Wade Barrett really being anything more than mid-carders.

WWE needs to build new young stars and fast.....ie- joe henning, ted debiase, ryback, derrick bateman etc

Cody Rhodes will be Heavyweight Champ and Dolph Ziggler will be WWE champ before 2012 is over. Wade Barrett will continue to rise once he's back from injury too.

None of the current guys in WWE have the it factor to be big stars. Not Cody Rhodes, not Ziggler, not Wade, the biggest stars in the next year will be Cena, Rock, maybe Lesner, HHH, Taker, HBK, Austin, Jericho, and which ever legend manages to get into the spot light - maybe Flair might have a big summer, maybe Sting will do something big, or Hogan might get his face back out there, maybe Warrior will used in the HOF and wwe tv or Jake the Snake. Whatever it is all of these guys have more charisma and will instantly be bigger stars than any mid card guy in WWE at the moment.

None of the current guys in WWE have the it factor to be big stars. Not Cody Rhodes, not Ziggler, not Wade, the biggest stars in the next year will be Cena, Rock, maybe Lesner, HHH, Taker, HBK, Austin, Jericho, and which ever legend manages to get into the spot light - maybe Flair might have a big summer, maybe Sting will do something big, or Hogan might get his face back out there, maybe Warrior will used in the HOF and wwe tv or Jake the Snake. Whatever it is all of these guys have more charisma and will instantly be bigger stars than any mid card guy in WWE at the moment.

That WWE needs to train them. So they can get better & have as much charisma as these guys. You can't honestly expect half those guys you listed carrying the load after WM, right?

signing Brock Lesnar is a sign WWE are not going to push too hard with Barrett or Ziggler. Barrett was supposed to win MITB this year, injury caused the whole gimmick to be scrapped. Barrett has big plans for him, he will feature on the B Grade show Smackdown. He will be kept away from Cena/Tensai and Lesnar/Rock Im sure on Raw

I could see WM 29 card consisting 40 or 50% of people not even on the roster or currently not being utilized. Punk, Cena, Bryan, Shaemus, Miz , Orton , Barrett will all be there for sure but this is going to be a big shakeup year for the roster and it's about damn time Kofi, Cody, Tyson, D Mc and Santino all need major pushes or it's a waste. I'd be surprised to see hhh, taker, HBK, Austin , Kane , attitude era stars involved at all by then. Rock, who knows, he would be a big draw still but I kind of hope he's done after this unless he gets a program with Orton or Brock

My two would be Hornswoggle and The Great Kahli. They will rule the tag division and become the next dominant force in the WWE due to the size different (I mean come on how are going to fight a tall bastard then switch to a small bastard in a tag team match its just to confusing)

Ziggler (Best in ring Skills in the WWE I believe, Now if he could totally overhaul his mic work)
Wade Barrett.....Think he would have had something special at Mania if not for injuries
Cody Rhodes....BEST Build-Up WWE has offered in a loooooong time
Jack Swagger....In reality, he has it all. Has to be a lifetime heel, can't picture it working any other way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back