2012-13 NCAA Football Thread

Megatron

Justin Verlander > You
Use this thread here to discuss the upcoming NCAA Football season. Post predictions, recruiting news, coaching news, thoughts, etc. I'll give my preseason top 10 (since 25 is way too much) and MSU predictions later on, but just to gloat at how awesome I am:

So yeah 10-2 (7-1 in Big 10) would be another great season, obviously. Would it be enough to make a BCS game, doubtful, unless we made the Big 10 Championship game and won it (which would make me dance around in circles forever). However, we'd earn another New Years Day bowl, more then likely against an SEC team, which has been another hurdle for us to overcome.

I don't think these are OTT expectations, either. This team proved last year they could make that next step and get some big wins. Now they'll have to do it with some expectations on hand (preseason ranking, possible favorite in our division according to some). If they meet these predictions I have, not only will this be another memorable team, but these guys will be a real force to be reckoned with (and could take OSU's spot for a bit with the possible problems they may be receiving although they're clear atm). This team excites me. I knew last years team had talent to get 9-10 wins but had to figure out how to close out games late. Last year they did a great job in doing that. This year, they have to keep it going and show last year wasn't a fluke. These are all of Dantonio's recruits (as was last year), and the system he has is looking great. Double digit wins for two straight years? Oh hell yes.

BCS National Championship: Alabama over Oklahoma
Rose Bowl: Oregon over Wisconsin

Just call me NOSTRADAMUS! :worship: only time that smiley will ever be acceptable

So yeah, 31 days and counting!!!!!!!

Silas Redd is leaving Penn State and joining the USC Trojans.

Redd is the most high profile Nittany Lions football player to leave the program after the school in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse scandal.

Redd is eligible to transfer immediately without sitting out a season after Penn State was hit with unprecedented sanctions two weeks ago, including a four-year bowl ban. Several Penn State players, including linebacker Michael Mauti and defensive lineman Jordan Hill, said last week they are staying. Redd was not among that group.

"We welcome Silas Redd to the Trojan Family," USC athletic director Pat Haden said in a statement. "He is an outstanding student and athlete. When the NCAA presented the option to transfer, Silas and his family put a lot of thought and research into making this decision.

"At USC, we've seen both sides of this issue, having lost a number of players to transfer due to our NCAA sanctions in 2010. But Lane Kiffin and his coaches would not be doing their job if they did not try to improve our team every single day. There is a specific need here for a player like Silas Redd, so Lane and our coaches recruited him within the guidelines set up in this instance by the NCAA."

Quite a coup here by Kiffin and the Trojans. RB was their one real question mark and Redd should more than fill in that hole. I think it's pretty clear they're gonna be the preseason #1 and are a legit threat to taking the SEC's throne. Let's hope for their sake they don't fuck it up by losing to a Washington State or Arizona. They got all the pieces to do damage now, especially with their offense ahead of most of the teams featured in the SEC (only Arkansas and Georgia have anything in the ballpark and both are a well notch below USCs).

The Trojans do look like a legitimate threat (as they should) to win the Pac-12 and possibly the national title. The toughest opponents in their conference is Oregon and maybe Washington. Picking up Silas Redd is a huge boost to the backfield, and they still have Lee and Woods at WR. My concern is if the defense will be better this year.

1 LSU (18) 0-0 1403
2 Alabama (20) 0-0 1399
3 USC (19) 0-0 1388
4 Oklahoma 0-0 1276
5 Oregon 0-0 1258
6 Georgia 0-0 1061
7 Florida State 0-0 1055
8 Michigan 0-0 1023
9 South Carolina 0-0 981
10 Arkansas 0-0 948
11 West Virginia 0-0 833
12 Wisconsin 0-0 743
13 Michigan State 0-0 717
14 Clemson 0-0 598
15 Texas 0-0 549
16 Nebraska 0-0 501
17 TCU 0-0 499
18 Stanford 0-0 497
19 Oklahoma State 0-0 476
20 Virginia Tech 0-0 461
21 Kansas State 0-0 398
22 Boise State 0-0 271
23 Florida 0-0 250
24 Notre Dame 0-0 166
25 Auburn 0-0 66

Others receiving votes: Washington 64, Louisville 46, Georgia Tech 35, Cincinnati 32, Texas A&M 28, Baylor 23, Utah 22, Mississippi State 21, SOUFLA 12, NCSTATE 11, Louisiana Tech 10, Brigham Young 10, Virginia 9, Houston 7, Southern Miss 6, Rutgers 5, UCF 5, Tennessee 3, Missouri 3, FLAINTL 3, Northern Illinois 2, TEXASTECH 1

First preseason poll of the year has come out and as expected, LSU-Alabama-USC are your top 3. I don't think that's how I would've slotted them, but I digress. I'm a bit disappointed that UM's ranked so highly after filling up on a favorable schedule, but I figure that is to build more hype to the Bama/UM matchup week 1. Another surprise of mine is that Wisconsin is ranked just ahead of MSU. I know they still have Montee Ball, but MSU is returning 9 of 11 starters off a top 10 defense, a well experienced O-Line, and a potential NFL draftee in RB Le'Veon Bell. UW will likely end up winning their division anyhow since the two real threats (PSU and OSU) aren't eligible this year, but I still think MSU will feature the better team.

As for MSU, that's about where I'd slot them, maybe a spot or two higher. I've seen some places rate them as low as the early 20's and some place them as high as in the top 10. Lot's of disparity for these guys. Should Maxwell come out and manage the game well and they take care of Boise and ND in the first month at home (which isn't entirely impossible since they've been really good at home in the Dantonio era) they'll likely be moved into the top 10 ranking.

A team outside of the top 10 that I think could be a legitimate threat is the Clemson Tigers. I love the Tajh Boyd/Sammy Watkins connection and if they can get by the @FSU matchup week 4 they could end the season with only a loss or two.

Any thoughts on the preseason top 25? Someone slighted too much? Someone overrated? Someone that will surprise that's lower ranked? Someone that will disappoint that's a top 10? How's your team ranked?

5 SEC teams in the Top 10 seems a bit ridiculous to me. I can understand Alabama and LSU. I'm still pissed that Arkansas got as high as it did last year when they got blown out by both Alabama and LSU. Georgia and South Carolina played nobody in-conference worth a damn. Georgia avoided playing Alabama, Arkansas, and LSU. South Carolina only played one ranked SEC team in the Razorbacks.

I don't see how Florida State is ranked as high as they are. I don't know much about their team this year but #7 seems way too high for me. I would move down Georgia, Arkansas, South Carolina, and Florida State and move West Virginia, Michigan State, and Wisconsin up.

We're now only 3 weeks away, so I'll give out an arbitrary top 5 list. Here's my top 5 non-conference games of 2012.

5. Notre Dame at Oklahoma - ND has a hell of a difficult schedule here, while OU is expected to be in pretty good position even with some of its injury problems. A somewhat weird placement in the middle of the season for OU, if ND is to live up to its potential this could be a resume building win for the Sooners.
4. Georgia Tech at Georgia - A potential speedbump for the Bulldogs late in the year when they may be playing with only a loss on their schedule. While the Dawgs should win this one, the triple option is no fun to prepare for and should Georgia come down to the end of the year with a 10-1 record they could be looking at a BCS berth on the line.
3. Boise State at Michigan State - A bit of bias by myself here, but it really is one of the marquee games of the week one slate. How will Boise respond after losing it's top QB in it's history? Likewise for MSU. Will MSU's defense, specifically William Gholston and Anthony Rashad White, play like they did in the Outback Bowl against Georgia? While I do think State will take care of the Broncos at home by 10-14 points, they better take care of them early and keep them from having a chance to pull out some trick plays near the end.
2. South Carolina at Clemson - Another late season game that could potentially have some BCS meaning. I'm digging Clemson as a sleeper contender and So. Carolina, while I don't think will win their division, is returning Marcus Lattimore and a star-studded defense. Plus it's a rivalry game, and that always adds to the intensity.
1. Alabama vs. Michigan - While this is certainly no LSU/Oregon, it's normally the first game people will talk about in big games for 2012. This may look like me just being a Michigan hater, but I don't like their chances at all in this game. The Wolverines feasted on a weak schedule last year and only went .500 in road games (with this essentially being one in JerryWorld) while Alabama is still the reigning national champions and Nick Saban is the best coach in the NCAA. If Michigan manages to keep this game in the single digits in the 4th quarter I'll be surprised. I just don't like Michigan at all in this game, and it's not because I'm a MSU fan. This is just about the worst possible matchup you can have to start the year for them. In another 2 years this would be a great matchup, but not in 2012. I'd expect something like 31-13 or the like.

I'll list my top 5 biggest disappointments, top 5 sleepers, then my bcs game predictions
Disappointments:
1 USC- depth will get them, I see at least two losses (how everyone is overlooking the depth issues is beyond me)
2 Clemson- Dabo is not a very good coach, the wheels will come off starting with a loss to Auburn. With the talent on this team and their schedule a really good coach would have them playing in the BCS title game.
3. OKL.ST- very talented team, I think Gundy is a great coach and knows how to sell that program but they loose their best receiver and go from a 28 yr old qb to a true frosh in a much deeper Big 12
4. Georgia- Have a top all 11 returning from a sick "D" but there are major off the field issues in Athens and their run game will be non-existent without Crowell and an inexperienced O-line. They may still win 8 or 9 but that will be a bust this year
5. Alabama- Won't win the national title which equals a bust

Top 5 Sleepers
1. Auburn- This team is loaded with talent. Every player that will see the field for them this year was a heralded recruit, they get all their major games at home, return 17 starters. It all depends on the new qb
2. Nebraska- I feel they are underrated with 16 returning starters, a prolific backfield and they get Wisconsin and Michigan at home. I have already placed a $50 bet on them winning the national title at 30/1 odds
3. Georgia Tech- Don't sleep on this team, their defense will finally be good enough to win them some games under Paul Johnson. Look for them to win the ACC Coastal (will beat VT week 1)
4. Pittsburgh- They will have the best two RB's in the Big East, a senior qb and stout defense (for big east standards). They will probably win the big east and stumble at least once in conference and a tough non-conf game vs V.T. but if they catch all the breaks could go undefeated but that still won't likely be enough to get to the national title game
5. Missouri- James Franklin (qb) is a beast and if they beat Geaorgia in week 2 they may be able to navigate their way to an SEC East crown in their first year in the SEC. The SEC isn't used to to an offensive attack they will bring to the table.
BCS Predictions
Rose Bowl: Oregon (11-2) Vs. Michigan St (10-2)
Orange Bowl: FSU (12-1) Vs. Pittsburgh (9-3)
Sugar Bowl: Auburn (10-2) Vs. West Virginia (10-2)
Fiesta Bowl: Oklahoma (11-1) Vs. USC (10-3)
National Title: LSU (12-1) Vs. Nebraska (13-0)
LSU will curb-stomp Nebraska for the title (will be very similar to the beat down Neb gave Florida for the title in 95).

Side note: Marcus Lattimore will win the Hiesman after a very consistent season which leads his team to an SEC East title

Nebraska? No disrespect, but they are about the 4th or 5th best team in the Big 10 (behind both the Michigans and UW for sure, OSU debatable with a new system change). Taylor Martinez has reportedly improved his mechanics and was hurt last year but is still flawed as a thrower. Add that with the loss of Carl Pelini, I see their ceiling being 10 wins. I don't see them beating MSU at home or winning the division for that matter.

Nebraskas toughest games will be at OSU and Mich St for sure, but those aren't unbearable tasks. The Big 10 is awful this year. I only see three teams on the rise, OSU, Mich and Wisconsin. Neb and Mich St are peaking right now, which is why I see them as the class of the Big 10. Mich St does have back to back road games @ Mich & Wisconsin before getting Neb at home so I like that to help Nebs chances to win that game, plus Neb ran Mich St last year, but I agree Mich St is the best chance to beat Neb this year because they are the only team in the Big 10 with a legit defense. I also think the trip to UCLA in week 2 is a dangerous game for them. Point is I think Neb is the best team with the fewest obstacles to have to overcome this year to get to the title game

Ugh, I was almost done posting my MSU predictions when my computer decided to go and go back a page and delete all my work. I'm not gonna try and remember everything I said, so I'll do some bullets to sum it up

-State will win all 7 home games. While that's a bold prediction, I don't think Boise will have acclimated themselves enough before week 1, ND hasn't done well in MSU in their recent trips, OSU will need at least a year under Meyer, EMU is a gimme, Iowa and NW are middle pack teams that could cause fits but don't have the talent of MSU, and Nebraska will be thrown off by the MSU crowd and won't be ready for an angry MSU team.
-4-1 on the road. CMU and Indiana are gimmes, Minnesota could cause fits for a half but I don't see them holding on late especially if MSU has a title game berth on the line, and I find UM overrated even though I think they'll be a better team with a worse record compared to their team from last year. The Spartans D has had Denards number and I still think they need another year of Hoke's recruits to get in and become a big threat. It'll likely be a single digit game, but MSU's defense is the best unit out of the 4 in the game (MSU offense/defense, UM offense/defense) and by then the offense will have caught it's stride.
-As for the loss, I think it's about due Bucky Badger will return the favor and knock MSU off at home. Assuming I'm right about the first 8 games, MSU will likely be in top 5 territory and this would be one of their 3 final tests before the year is over (vs. Nebraska, Big 10 championship game are the others). I've seen UW knock off a #1 OSU at home just a few years ago, and while this game is a 3:30 start (thankfully) the power of homefield is what makes this game for the Badgers.

So that's 11-1 on the year, with the lone blemish coming at Wisconsin. Were MSU's bye to be placed a bit more conveniently (say after the Michigan game, instead of after 10 straight games) I might've pushed them undefeated. But UM and UW back to back on the road is tough and a let down likely would be due. Still, good enough for another division title and Big 10 Championship game berth, likely against the Badgers again. Unlike last year, the roles are switched and MSU is the one to win the title game, sealing their first Big 10 Championship outright since 1990 and their first Rose Bowl in a while (with an outside chance at a national championship game should enough teams fall, which I doubt). Then following the end of the year, MSU loses a few big names (Adams, Gholston early entry, Anthony Rashad White, I believe Chris Norman) on defense but returns a nice offense to begin the 2013 season top 10 ranked and is a dark horse national title candidate due to their much easier schedule (no OSU or UW, UM at home).

Well since we are within 4 days of the college season officially starting (and 5 before MSU begins!) I may as well throw out some predictions here. Join in all you guys want to.

ACC - Florida State over VT
Big 10 - Michigan State over Wisconsin
Big East - Louisville
Big 12 - Texas
Pac 12 - USC over Oregon
SEC - Alabama over Georgia

C-USA - Houston over Southern Miss
MAC - Ohio over NIU
MWC - Boise State
Sun Belt - Arkansas State
WAC - Idaho

National Championship: USC over Alabama
Rose Bowl: MSU over Oregon
Sugar Bowl: LSU over Oklahoma
Fiesta Bowl: Texas over Wisconsin
Orange Bowl: Florida State over Louisville

Heisman: 1. Matt Barkley
2. Marcus Lattimore
3. Montee Ball

ACC: Clemson
Big 10: Wisconsin
Big 12: Oklahoma
Big East: South Florida
Pac 12: USC
SEC: Georgia

National Championship: Oklahoma over Georgia
Rose Bowl: USC over Wisconsin
Orange Bowl: South Florida over Clemson
Sugar Bowl: Alabama over Michigan State
Fiesta Bowl: TCU over Oregon

Heisman
1. Montee Ball
2. Matt Barkley
3. Tyler Wilson

Looks like there's a few Mich St fans on this thread. I'm assuming you guys don't want Michigan to beat Bama, but I've got some pretty good sources (from AL) that Eddy Lacy is 50% and Dee Hart can't be trusted to be on the field because he doesn't know the plays and can't pass protect, which leaves Bamas only run option as TJ Yieldon (#1 rb last yr) but true frosh regardless. I've also heard that Bama coaches are extremely concerned about the depth on the d'line right now. Very good chance Michigan wins, very very good chance they cover, if your a betting man take the mayonnaise and blue.

Looks like there's a few Mich St fans on this thread. I'm assuming you guys don't want Michigan to beat Bama, but I've got some pretty good sources (from AL) that Eddy Lacy is 50% and Dee Hart can't be trusted to be on the field because he doesn't know the plays and can't pass protect, which leaves Bamas only run option as TJ Yieldon (#1 rb last yr) but true frosh regardless. I've also heard that Bama coaches are extremely concerned about the depth on the d'line right now. Very good chance Michigan wins, very very good chance they cover, if your a betting man take the mayonnaise and blue.

I just saw this, but even if I did see it before I wouldn't have taken your advice. Sorry, but Bama just reloads every year and will be right in the thick of the National Title hunt yet again this year. Combine that with the fact that UM was not only overrated about 10 spots too high, but that they were breaking in some new faces on D and are still playing with a majority of RichRods recruits (which isn't good to see on D) I never really thought UM would give Bama a game. I was thinking somewhere along a 31-14 lines, but Bama did me 10 better.

Now with most of the top 25 done playing (aside from Louisville and VT) here's my top 11 (just to be different) after week 1.

1. Alabama - even though UM should've been closer ranked to 25 than to 1, it was still one of the better tests you'll see a team give itself in OOC play. The D is still stacked and the O can follow the lead of their great O line. They'll likely stay here for a few weeks at worst.
2. USC - While Hawaii isn't anything great, they are my national title favorites and they made quick business of Norm Chows crew.
3. LSU - North Texas isn't anything special, but their talent is right up there with Bama and USC. They're partially living off of preseason hype for now.
4. Oregon - Same as LSU, only more talented on O and less talented on D. They'll probably be in the neighborhood of 60 PPG this year. Hopefully they can stay undefeated until that showdown against USC late in the year.
5. Florida State - Yet another good performance against a scrub, but they have a very manageable schedule and might actually live up to the hype for once.
6. Clemson - This is a team that can derail FSU's national title hopes though. I was thoroughly impressed with their win over Auburn despite no Sammy Watkins. The O shouldn't have much problem scoring and the D will only have to bend and not break for them to be good.
7. South Carolina - Cocky's D was as good as advertised against Vanderbilt, but they will need a little more from Connor Shaw (who did get banged up, so he gets a slight pass) in the bigger games if they wanna make it back to the SEC Championship game.
8. Michigan State - My Spartans take the spot of the Wolverines in the rankings, and I do believe it's justified after taking down a still dangerous-yet-depleted Boise State team. The D wasn't really responsible for any of the points allowed (a pick 6 and two drives that already started well into MSU territory) and LeVeon Bell had a game that brought back memories to the Javon Ringer era. While it's always nice to pick up a win, especially against a team that isn't Little Sisters of the Poor like 1/2 the top 25 seemed to play this weekend. The passing game will get its feet under itself soon (and Maxwell did well in the 2nd half, fwiw) so hopefully they don't ware Bell out by Week 8 like they seemed to do with Ringer when he was the everydown back. It's fine for one week, obviously, but against teams like CMU, EMU, and IU (3 of their next 5 opponents) I'd like to see his touches limited and some reps given to guys who need in-game reps (aka Passing game).
9. Georgia - They didn't do anything wrong, per se, but they did allow Buffalo to score 23 and it was 24-16 going into the 4th. I'm not worried about Georgia's D, but you can't put them ahead of teams that have actually beaten solid teams. They aren't that good. They'll have their shot next week against Mizzou in Missouri's SEC opener to make some noise, though.
10. West Virginia - Yes, they can score points. Yes, Geno Smith is a dark-horse Heisman contender. Still, let's see what they do against a team with a defense like Texas.
11. Texas - Kinda the anti-WVU that they have a talented D but some major questions on O, it seems a bit fitting that they're paired with each other. We won't know much about the Longhorns until the 29th and 6th when they play OSU and WVU back to back. Until then, I'll be a bit cautious with respect to their ranking.

Some notables missing - Oklahoma, Arkansas

Why no OU? Simple - UTEP gave them a fight for pretty much the whole game, and the 24-7 game made the game seem like a bigger blowout than it actually was. UTEP left at least 9 points on the board (3 missed FGs) and Landry Jones doesn't look impressive at all without his favorite target Ryan Broyles off in the NFL. As for Arkansas, it's a combination of not playing a good team and not being too highly on their bandwagon before with John L. Smith at the helm. Trust me, I spent 3ish years watching this guy find new ways to lose games each and every week. While he has much more talent at Arkansas than he ever did at MSU, I have no doubts he'll find a way to screw up a win here or there against a team that they should likely beat (against an Auburn, Miss. St, or A&M most likely).

As a Michigan fan I'm content with their start to the season. I knew they were going to get run by Alabama. I would have liked to see the defense play better against Air Force but that's a team with 41 wins over the last 5 seasons so they were far from an easy opponent. Yesterday they finally got an easy game against UMass and played great on both sides of the ball for a 63-13 victory.

Denard has been good this season and about what I expected. He is a very inaccurate passer and will have his fair share of interceptions but he may be the most talented runner in the country and is the best option we have at qb. The receiving group is very inexperienced but they continue to improve every week. Devin Funchess has a bright future at tight end. He is a true freshmen with a tremendous combination of size and athleticism. Devin Gardner has also been impressive making a smooth transition from qb to receiver.

They have a tough match up against Notre Dame next week on the road but it is a game they are capable of winning. Then they get a bye week before starting the Big Ten schedule. The Big Ten is having a down season so the conference is very winnable for Michigan. Wisconsin has looked like shit on offense, Iowa has looked like shit on both sides of the ball, Northwestern and Purdue are Northwestern and Purdue, Nebraska is very inconsistent, Ohio State can't play in the post season, and Michigan State has absolutely no passing game. The conference is completely up for grabs and I like Michigan's chances. The keys for them are for Denard to be smart with the football and for the young defense to continue to progress.

..seems as if the previous posters above me have connections to michigan, i was born in detroit.....

anyways....

Michigan is having a down year. It was expected though. The kind of season Michigan had in 2011 was a solid year which ended when they came out of nowhere and got a BCS big to face Virginia Tech in the sugar bowl. Expectations were high coming into this season after having a solid year. Things didn't turn out so well at the start, getting humiliated by Alabama. Won the next couple of games before losing to Notre Dame. Michigan isn't out yet, they still can win their division and get to the Big 10 championship but they'll need to win out the rest of the way. I think Michigan State, and Ohio State games will determine how Michigan prepares for the stretch of the remainder of their season and how they'll prepare for the future with denard leaving after this season. Can't say im disappointed in Michigan, they lost alot of guys and are still developing under Brady Hoke. Michigan has a solid recruiting class for 2013 so hopefully they'll be solid in years to come.

My Wolverines finally broke their losing streak against MSU and I couldn't be any happier with how it all went down. Brady Hoke is getting U of M back to playing Michigan football sooner then even I expected. He has only been the head coach for a year and a half and they have already transformed the defense from a liability to the strength of the team. I knew the defense would eventually get back to elite status under this regime but not this quick. The best part of all of this is that it's only the beginning. Hoke and his staff have recruited tremendously and have a top 5 class coming in next year including a 5 star, pro style qb prospect in Shane Morris. Michigan is now the favorite to win the Big Ten this year and I could very easily see them winning out. At the end of the day their only losses are to #1 ranked Alabama on a neutral field and #5 ranked Notre Dame on the road (a game they should have won). I can live with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back