2011: The Year of the Comeback

CM Steel

A REAL American
Since the youth movement isn't going the way the WWE had hoped. The E has brought back some of wrestlings biggest names back to the WWE this year.

Royal Rumble: Kevin Nash & Booker T.

Stone Cold Steve Austin & Trish Stratus: Plugging & Pumping WWE Tough Enough.

THE ROCK: Hosting Wrestlemania 27

Mick Foley: RAW in Boston

Bill Goldberg was suppose to return to be inducted into the WWE hall of fame. But he declined the offer.

So what do you think of the impact & progress of the Superstars of the past returning to the WWE? And will we see more names be brought next year besides Chris Jericho & the Undertaker?

WWE's Youth Movement isn't a success because they started to bring in new talent all together. Firstly they should should have brought some new guys to the roster make them face Established stars so they can get over with the fans but they brought them all together to the main roster and the people who were watching because of the established stars stopped watching. Too much young guys came in 2010 nearly 90% of the roster was young green guys which nobody knew. Suppose a guy who was watching Batista Vs. Undertaker 2007 stopped watching and then started watching again in 2010 and what did he get ? Nobody - A Vs. Nobody-B. How is he supposed to get intrested in 2 guys whom nobody knows ?

2011 was better when it started around Wrestlemania time then started to get boring as SummerSlam approached. Survivor Series was a good ppv though but not what I thought.

I think the WWE is in a good place right now. For me anyway it is much better now that it has been for quite some time and although it still has many areas that need improving (tag team division being just one) I see a bright near future if everything is done proper. Some of the younger wrestlers may not have gone the way the WWE had hoped and a few have been released that I think had a lot going for them but we do have a bunch of great young talent that are future stars in the making and developing as we speak... Dolph Ziggler, Cody Rhodes, Wade Barrett, Sheamus, The Miz etc. Also in CM Punk the WWE now has an alternative to Cena and Orton as a top star of the company and Punk himself is still developing.

I have no problem with some past names coming in and being involved in storylines here and there. I like it and aslong as they don't overshadow the young talent and prevent or hinder the future stars of the WWE climbing the ladder (which they don't right now) I like seeing old faces that I used to watch when I was younger.

It's still hit and miss but a lot more hit than it was not so long ago. The tag team division does need more time..both spent on it by the WWE and time given to develop by us fans. The storylines need to begiven more time to develop than they currently do but I see that improving with feuds like Wade Barrett and Randy Orton. A few other aspects need improving, ironing out and for me I would like to see a better mix of gimmicky wrestlers and good technicial wrestlers...and less MMA, UFC or just bland characters. I see more potential now than I have for a very long time and the fact we have seen plenty of wrestlers make comebacks is good for me personally... like I said as long as they don't step on the up and comers who have what it takes to be future stars I have no problem. The limits on what can be said, shown on TV has been relaxed and I have been entertained quite a bit since just before Wrestlemania. Yeah, it's far from perfect or as good as it could be but over time I hope it turns out the way it really could if all developed right.

I think right now at present there is enough of a gap for these old names to come in and fill up without hindering anything.

I would imagine WWE is disappointed that their legends movement hasn't brought a lot of the old viewers back on a full-time basis. Yes, having the Rock for last year's Wrestlemania brought some big numbers for the PPV (which presumes that Rock alone had a lot to do with it) but if the company's efforts were aimed at re-capturing folks who were fans back in the Attitude Era......it hasn't, judging by the flat ratings for the regular TV programs.

Of course, when it comes to the Rock, why should the old fans re-join? He's only there for brief periods of time. In fact, the company is smart for extending his appearances over two PPVs, rather than use him just for one appearance that targets one specific date. What they've done with Rock is working.

More disappointing is that Nash and Booker haven't translated to higher response. They're around a lot more often than Rock, Austin or Stratus and I would imagine the company hoped to bring back a lot of the old fans by using these guys to evoke the old memories.

All in all, I think bringing back the legends is good in theory, but not so good if the desired result was more people watching the regularly scheduled programs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back