• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

2010 Olympics Gold Medal Men's Ice Hockey: Canada v. United States

Mr. TM

Throwing a tantrum
flag-main_full-399x300.jpg

Final

CAN 3-2 USA

Vancouver (AFP) - Sunday's Olympic hockey final will renew the intense border-war rivalry between Canada and the United States, one that pits teammate against teammate and turns Hollywood heroes into box-office poison.

Canada's National Hockey League stars booked a berth in the gold medal game Friday with a 3-2 victory over Slovakia while the Americans routed Finland 6-1 to set up the North American showdown for Olympic gold.

"It will be huge," US forward Patrick Kane said. "That's what everybody wants to see."

US forward Ryan Kesler likes his chances against NHL Vancouver Canucks teammate Roberto Luongo, the Canadian goaltender who denied another Canucks teammate, Pavol Demitra, in the dying seconds to defeat Slovakia.

"He's a great goaltender," Kesler said. "I have a couple (ideas on how to beat him). I won't tell you (what). It's for a gold medal."

"It's always a great game when it's the USA," Luongo said. "We will have a lot of fun."

A 5-3 victory in the preliminary round was the first by the Americans over Canada at the Olympics in 50 years, but it will take a repeat for the unbeaten US stars to claim their first Olympic crown since the 1980 "Miracle on Ice".

"It's a pretty great rivalry game," Canada star Sidney Crosby said. "The first game was very intense. I expect it at the same level if not more because we're playing for a gold medal."

US actor Vince Vaughn, wearing a USA jersey, found out how intense. He was jeered by a Canadian-filled crowd at the US victory when asked about a US-Canada matchup on the arena videoscreen.

"We already settled that once," he said. "I like our chances."

Canadians, who are 10-3-3 against US men in the Olympics, took Olympic gold in 2002 at Salt Lake City by beating the US men in the final and would love to repeat the feat on home ice, especially after the earlier loss.

"Definitely we wanted to play them again," Canada goals leader Jarome Iginla said. "We know the rivalry is there. Now we have them again. It's pretty exciting."

The Americans have scored first in all five of their Olympic games and have never trailed but Canada has the highest-scoring offence in the tournament.

"We out-chanced them in the first game. We've got to keep doing the same thing," Iginla said. "We're finding more ways to score goals as the tournament goes on. We're getting more chances."

But Canada must solve the hottest Olympic goaltender in Ryan Miller, who stopped 42 shots in the US triumph over Canada, a victory that proved the Americans were a true title threat and that Canada needed some major changes.

"That definitely helped us. Maybe it even helped them, woke them up a little bit," Miller said. "Maybe that game was the biggest game for both of us."

Until the next one, that is.

[thread=59428]Olympics Thread[/thread]

[thread=100957]vBookie[/thread]​

Canada's in deep shit having to face a team with history such as this:

[YOUTUBE]s23Us1bCFyU[/YOUTUBE]

But yeah... I'll most likely tune in for this. Hopefully it's a good game.

I should be here, unless I'm sleeping. Either way, my DVR is set and it shall be an epic game.

May the best team win, and I'll be the unpatriotic douche cheering for Canada.:lmao:

Canada's in deep shit having to face a team with history such as this:

[YOUTUBE]s23Us1bCFyU[/YOUTUBE]

But yeah... I'll most likely tune in for this. Hopefully it's a good game.

I hate you :(, I just had to listen to that whole song because I wanted to watch the video and the Missus heard the miley song and it had to stay on even after I had had enough. :(

I'm not a fan of hockey don't think I will be watching

Hockey - Canadians would die for it, and Americans don't give a damn about it.

And yet, we're still better at it. At least for right now.

Yep. Canadians once again letting their Nationalist pride and markhood for "their sport"-- hockey, take over. I bet they were moping around every day since their loss to the States in the last game, while the people in the States didn't even really acknowledge it or give it a second's thought since then.

As Sly said, the American people couldn't care less, but there is no doubt that every single Canadian will have their eyes glued to the TV set so they can "triumph" over the United States, so they have one more reason to mark out over being Canadian. After all, that is such a big deal to them, when in reality, we could care less about it in the States. It just means nothing to us, regardless if we win or lose.

Yep. Canadians once again letting their Nationalist pride and markhood for "their sport"-- hockey, take over. I bet they were moping around every day since their loss to the States in the last game, while the people in the States didn't even really acknowledge it or give it a second's thought since then.

As Sly said, the American people couldn't care less, but there is no doubt that every single Canadian will have their eyes glued to the TV set so they can "triumph" over the United States, so they have one more reason to mark out over being Canadian. After all, that is such a big deal to them, when in reality, we could care less about it in the States. It just means nothing to us, regardless if we win or lose.

troll

I'm watching this on NBC...and apparently the play-by-play man thinks I'm blind, as he is announcing EVERYTHING that is going on in the game...and it's ridiculous.

Terrible announcing. Someone needs to tell him to call the game, not detail the game.

I'm watching this on NBC...and apparently the play-by-play man thinks I'm blind, as he is announcing EVERYTHING that is going on in the game...and it's ridiculous.

Terrible announcing. Someone needs to tell him to call the game, not detail the game.

I can't stand watching NBC hockey. Close captioning is more exciting

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back