20 Years Ago

The Brain

King Of The Ring
On September 4, 1995 WCW Monday Nitro debuted. Share your favorite Nitro memories here.

I was always a very loyal WWF guy so I never took pleasure in WCW's success. I have to admit though that getting Lex Luger for the very first episode was quite a moment. It was just so unexpected and immediately set the tone for what WCW wanted Nitro to be.

20 years ago I was 2 years old... The only wrestling matches I watched were between the toy in my right hand and the toy in my left hand.

My favorite WCW memory was probably watching Lex Luger take the championship away from Hogan on Nitro. That was the first main event I actually got to stay up for. other than that it was Goldberg Hogan where Goldberg took the title. All of my memories is of Hulk losing the title.

I grew up watching WCW from 1995-1999. My friends and I were all loyal fans until the product started going downhill, even noticeable to us kids. Many hours were spent watching Nitro, roughhousing, and playing NWO/WCW Revenge.

While I did watch a bit of WWE throughout 1997 and 1998, I did not become a loyal fan of their product until 2001. And seeing allot of the old WCW guys on the WWE show helped ease that transition.

Since I wasn't alive when Nitro was active, I don't have too many memories of the show other than what I've seen on the Network or Youtube.

Because of this, I'll go with Lex Luger's debut. It's probably not the best, but from what I've seen that's my favorite.

WWF's production values always crushed WCW's, with one exception - Nitro's awesome opening:

[youtube]s3Pw20uiz3k[/youtube]

Raw's opening will always have the greater nostalgic pull for me but Nitro had a great opening.

It used to be so much fun to be a wrestling fan, these days if NXT isn't delivering then you pretty much just settle for whatever filler the WWE cranked out that week. Ring of Honor is on point sometimes, but it's not the same for those of us who grew up on the greatest feud in pro-wrestling history.

WCW had access to the virtually limitless bank account of Ted Turner, and was allowed to broadcast Nitro on TNT three times a week. On Monday nights I could watch RAW, take a nap, and catch a Nitro repeat late at night. They were both desperately manufacturing shows that were trying to one-up each other, and yet fans really didn't have to choose one show or the other.

I was getting all the awesome mayhem of the Hart-Michaels feud where fans of the US and Canada were giving different reactions, and the chaos of Sting tearing his way through the nWo with a baseball bat and sorcery.

Nitro made the WWE have to turn up their creative output, and the fans were getting PPV quality content on a weekly basis. The WWE kept their big matches on PPV, but they still had some amazing developments on tv.

This was back in the days of VHS, and I had countless tapes of RAW and Nitro filled to their six hour max.

My favorite Nitro moment is likely the favorite moment of most of us on here; when Scott Hall showed up to interrupt a match and blew the roof off the place. We didn't have the internet at that time, we weren't kept up to date on contract signings or whatever. For all we could possibly verify at the time, the WWF had had enough and finally sent over someone to disrupt WCW. Over on Raw the WWF introduced some guy named Richard Bogner (I believe) as Razor Ramon, and really gunked up their own programming in a doomed attempt at reinventing the character. This was a magical time for WCW because they couldn't fail and the WWF couldn't win. Again; through this entire saga I didn't have to choose a show.

I'm a little biased since I was in attendance for it, but my favorite was Luger winning the title from Hogan. I've been to hundreds of wrestling events but I think the pop he got for that maybe the loudest that I've been apart of. Of course he ended up dropping the title right back so it was essentially meaningless but at the time it was awesome.

My memory of WCW is when I was at my Grandmas and it was on channel 5. Sat down for my tea and she told me she was going to put wrestling on. She puts on WCW and I see some guy named Booker T doing a 'Rock Bottom' then spinning around. I was not impressed and never watched it again.

My memory of WCW is when I was at my Grandmas and it was on channel 5. Sat down for my tea and she told me she was going to put wrestling on. She puts on WCW and I see some guy named Booker T doing a 'Rock Bottom' then spinning around. I was not impressed and never watched it again.

With added pow symbols.

I was more a WCW guy than I was a WWF guy back then. My favorite Nitro memory was Goldberg's win over Hogan for the title. For teenage me, it was WCW prevailing over WWE once and for all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back