1997 WWF Invasion Of The ECW

ShinobiMusashi

Getting Noticed By Management
I was digging around Youtube today, and I stumbled across the single greatest storyline in ECW history.

I remember living through this, but it didn't really gel until recently that all of this stuff was connected(mostly only got to see ECW in bits and pieces through mail order tapes back in the day).

I'm talking about the 1997 WWF Invasion.

ECW's entire 1997 revolved around this angle. It started on Monday Night Raw in February when ECW invaded the show due to a challenge from Lawler. This helped ECW's first pay per view become a major success for them.

The angle only got better at their first pay per view in April, and it ended at their "Wrestlemania" The November To Remember. It featured some really great performances from Jerry Lawler, and Rick Rude, and it had a World Title riegn for the late Bam Bam Bigelow(his only one).

It spread across 3 different federations, ECW, WWF, and USWA.

It all built up to the matches at the November To Remember with Shane Douglas vs Bam Bam Bigelow, RVD vs Tommy Dreamer, and Sabu vs The Sandman in a TLC match. There was also plans for a Sabu & RVD vs Dreamer & Sandman tag match at Summerslam, but for whatever reasons it was scrapped.

Highly underrated storyline with so many great moments(See Rude's comeback on the ECW crowd for chanting "You Fuck Chyna!") all leading up to ECW's biggest show up to that point. A show that broke their attendance records.

I think this angle is the reason for ECW's success. This angle really shot them into a national spotlight, and helped them make the transition to being a pay per view federation.

Here are the pivitol moments from this angle, including the stuff on Raw, and USWA:

[youtube]p0ifoViYw8c[/youtube]

This is where it all started, right here on Raw.

[youtube]QA__uH0P0UM[/youtube]

RVD gave a worked shoot after his match at Barely Legal about almost being left off of the pay per view. He said that after his match with Storm he was "Worth More money here, and I'm worth more money elsewhere!"

After the Sabu vs Taz match later in the evening, RVD attacked Taz. Taz's manager Bill Alfonso turned on him, and aligned with RVD & Sabu.

[youtube]l-UealwXerk[/youtube]

Then the shit hits the fan, right when ECW loses Raven to WCW.

[youtube]M0ifgf9Qsmk[/youtube]

Mr. Monday Night is born.

[youtube]8tsbKqhPgmU[/youtube]

[youtube]wW9slrI03ho[/youtube]

[youtube]7op0jsXDfjE[/youtube]

Enter Rick Rude.

[youtube]F4tB43G5-6o[/youtube]

Dreamer went to Lawler's own backyard to challenge him(Lawler owned USWA).

[youtube]vFwdlAhlTOg[/youtube]

Sabu was repping WWF in this match against the ECW legend. Dreamer & RVD run in, and Sabu wins the ECW title.

[youtube]w_AdzQ0cw1w[/youtube]

Dreamer vs Lawler blowoff at ECW's second ever pay per view, Hardcore Heaven.

[youtube]bUad7WBW8Dg[/youtube]

This was my personal favorite moment of the storyline. It was supposed to be RVD & Fonzie vs Dreamer & Beulah. RVD & Sabu injure Dreamer before the match.

RVD cuts one of his all time best promos telling everyone he is too good for stupid gimmick matches. RVD leaves "The ****e" to Fonzie, and she kicks his fucking ass!:lol:

Great moment.

[youtube]yLxQNt0Xir4[/youtube]

One of the all time greatest ECW moments ever with Bigelow & Rude at their best.

[youtube]N1zpeElk1Lw[/youtube]

Blowoff of Dreamer vs RVD in a ECW vs WWF Flag match at November to Remember.

[youtube]F39QBaubVNg[/youtube]

Franchise wins his title back in his hometown in front of the biggest crowd in ECW history up to that point.

This angle helped ECW stay alive past 97. Without it, I think their pay per view would have failed, and they would have went out of bussiness(they were already running in the red).

Questions:

1: Why did Vince/WWE do this for ECW?

2: How awesome would an angle like this be today with TNA/ROH etc.?

I think this is absolutely the second best Invasion in pro wrestling history, and RVD's work as a heel during it is highly underrated.

Vince McMahon stated on the Rise and Fall of ECW DVD that looking back on it, he doesn't recollect exactly why he chose to help ECW, he did a lot more than allow them on his programming, he also promoted their shows, plugged their Pay-Per-Views, at the time of the "invasion" he sold ECW merchandise at WWE events, financially supported them at one stage and even allowed them an entire episode of Monday Night RAW to put on their show for the WWE audience. He said that although he can't remember the exact reason for doing it, it was probably because he liked competition and that he wanted the business as a whole to prosper.

I don't think It'd be that good of an angle today, because it wouldn't really work. The 1990's was a much different time in the wrestling industry and this entire angle was new and exciting, although I'm certain there'd be a buzz if a slew of TNA or Ring of Honor competitors raided the WWE for a couple months, it just wouldn't have the same effects. Despite ECW's "regional"-esq status at the time they'd a number of known stars, WWE fanbase of today wouldn't know much about TNA or Ring of Honor, only those who truly have an interest in wrestling would truly take to the angle.

Wow..... Did you not see the rise and fall of ecw dvd???? Vince spoke on this and said why he did it.For one, it was due to him raiding ecw for some of their talent. Also, look at it this way, if he didn't help them out, ECW would have folded much sooner, then alot of those guys may have never been seen outside of ECW

In the end, ECW basically became a minor league system for the WWF. I think Vince saw that he needed to do something drastic to beat WCW, and in 1997 the beginnings of the Attitude Era were stirring, thanks in very large part to ECW and its ideologies. ECW got exposure they could only ever dream of without Vince McMahon, and the WWF (a couple years later) got talent like RVD, the Dudleyz, Tazz and others. Anyone can see Paul Heyman has a very unique mind for the business, and even Vince seemingly conceded that.

In short, Vince wanted to make his product more adult, more shocking and more...extreme. And what better way to do that then to cross promote with the land of the Extreme? It was a calculated risk to defeat WCW and as history shows us, it worked out exactly how it needed to.

Almost forgot about this:

[youtube]xSqQux7kwEg[/youtube]

It didn't end at the November To Remember. Lance Wright brought in a second wave from the WWF with Brakkus & Droz. They fueded with Taz in Dec 97/Jan 98.

Taz came out of the other end of the WWF Invasion as THE MAN in ECW.

Edit: Doug Furnas & Phil Lafon were a part of the Invasion at some point as well.

On a semi-related note(talent exchange), there was Terry Funk's Wrestlefest show in 97.

This wasn't an official ECW show, but it was put together by the ECW crew. Paul Heyman even honored Funk with a lifetime ECW World Championship belt.

The event was even available on ECW home video, I remember seeing commercials for it during Hardcore TV.

They had Mankind, and even the WWF Champion at the time Bret Hart on the card.

[youtube]28IsNi9am9s[/youtube]

[youtube]s7FqCavNjSA[/youtube]

That last vid is dedicated to everyone that gave me red rep for my "Bret should have went to ECW" thread earlier this year. Red Rep is for schoolgirls.

On a semi-related note(talent exchange), there was Terry Funk's Wrestlefest show in 97.

This wasn't an official ECW show, but it was put together by the ECW crew. Paul Heyman even honored Funk with a lifetime ECW World Championship belt.

The event was even available on ECW home video, I remember seeing commercials for it during Hardcore TV.

They had Mankind, and even the WWF Champion at the time Bret Hart on the card.

[youtube]28IsNi9am9s[/youtube]

[youtube]s7FqCavNjSA[/youtube]

That last vid is dedicated to everyone that gave me red rep for my "Bret should have went to ECW" thread earlier this year. Red Rep is for schoolgirls.

hmm the Hart vs Funk match was actually for Terry Funks supposedretirement match, Bret wrestled the match as a favour to Funk and even offered for Funk to win, Funk didnt think anybody would believe he could beat the WWE Championin his lastc match. Point is, THIS WAS NOT AN ECW match, was not sanctioned by ECW, WAS NOT PART OF THEIR COMPANY. How anybody could think it was deserves the red reps.

hmm the Hart vs Funk match was actually for Terry Funks supposedretirement match, Bret wrestled the match as a favour to Funk and even offered for Funk to win, Funk didnt think anybody would believe he could beat the WWE Championin his lastc match. Point is, THIS WAS NOT AN ECW match, was not sanctioned by ECW, WAS NOT PART OF THEIR COMPANY. How anybody could think it was deserves the red reps.

Oh shit. Here we go with the trademark Wrestlezone schoolgirl shit starters.

Say whatever the fuck you want dude, but this show was put together by ECW. It was an "Unofficial" ECW show, but it was still an ECW show.

Bret wasn't there for ECW, he was there for Funk. I'll give you that.

Have you seen the event? Paul Heyman gives Funk an honorary lifetime ECW championship right before this match with Bret. Joey Styles did the commentary. Balls Mahoney, The Sandman, Tommy Dreamer, Shane Douglas, Rob Van Damn, Sabu were all on the card(plus FMW Wrestlers). Taz even defended the ECW TV championship against Chris Candido.

ECW owned the rights to the video footage. If this wan't an ECW show HOW THE FUCK DID THEY GET THE RIGHTS TO THE VIDEO FOOTAGE????????

The only reason why Heyman didn't call this an ECW show was out of respect for Terry Funk.

Every now and then, wrestling has great ideas that change the business for the better. The ECW "invasion" back in 1997 was one of those ideas. It had alot of great moments and McMahon helped establish the major consistent competition that WWF would have throughout the Monday Night Wars[since WCW was widely inconsistent]. And although ECW only had a small percentage of a loyal fanbase, alot of great moments and memories came from this very invasion storyline.

It's just a shame that WWE screwed up all the opportunities to live up to past ECW standards with their brand. One Night Stand was a good way to celebrate that until they revamped ECW into ECWWE. Though I did enjoy the nostalgia effect of the ECW originals until they left and WWE started using ECW as a testing ground for future stars and stopped using ECW for what it was; violent, addictive, and WRESTLING. Thanks for reminding me how great this was. Compare the 1997 invasion to the WCW/ECW "alliance" invasion of 2001. No comparision whatso ever!

Every now and then, wrestling has great ideas that change the business for the better. The ECW "invasion" back in 1997 was one of those ideas. It had alot of great moments and McMahon helped establish the major consistent competition that WWF would have throughout the Monday Night Wars[since WCW was widely inconsistent]. And although ECW only had a small percentage of a loyal fanbase, alot of great moments and memories came from this very invasion storyline.

It's just a shame that WWE screwed up all the opportunities to live up to past ECW standards with their brand. One Night Stand was a good way to celebrate that until they revamped ECW into ECWWE. Though I did enjoy the nostalgia effect of the ECW originals until they left and WWE started using ECW as a testing ground for future stars and stopped using ECW for what it was; violent, addictive, and WRESTLING. Thanks for reminding me how great this was. Compare the 1997 invasion to the WCW/ECW "alliance" invasion of 2001. No comparision whatso ever!

WWE revamped ECW into ECWWE because that's what SYFY wanted. Just like with WCW networks wanted WWE not WCW or ECW unless they were neutered. When WCW folded networks didn't want the WCW name at all. The E tried to get WCW a show but NO ONE wanted it at all.

But people really don't understand how much money Vince gave to ECW/Heyman. If it wasn't for that money ECW would have folded a lot earlier.

To answer the questions...

1- Vince is not a total bastard that people like to say he is. Plus it doesn't hurt that him and Paul have always had a decent relationship. Unlike Bischoff who Heyman hated and probably still dislikes today.

But at the time it was beneficial to both. Vince wanted to go a little more extreme with his product and ECW was running in the red. They each got what they needed from the crossover.

2-I don't think the angle of TNA/ROH is anywhere near as big as WWF/ECW was. ECW was bigger and alot more well known that ROH and the WWF was a lot bigger than TNA is now. I don't see a TNA/ROH angle generating much of anything right now.

The whole angle was pretty kick ass though. I couldn't believe when it actually went down.

It had alot of great moments and McMahon helped establish the major consistent competition that WWF would have throughout the Monday Night Wars[since WCW was widely inconsistent].

Hahahahaha!

ECW...hold on while I gather myself.

ECW was the "major consistent competition" for the WWF? Ho ho ho!

ECW never put a dent in the WWF. If WCW hadn't come along and started whipping the WWF in the Monday Night Wars, Vince would still be doing double taped episodes of garbage men wrestling hockey goalies.

I think the reason why Vince did help was to cover up his tracks...he stole ideas from ECW.
watch this:suspic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xebT4HQKDI

He knew ECW would go down even if he helped them because his company was huge while ECW was in a bingo hall(not much of a problem though)
He didn't help it that much either. The biggest thing he did was this invasion. If he was so concerned, he would have put in so many ideas and given so much money and ECW would still be going today. Why do you think he bought in a rubbish version of ECW on to syfy and replaced it with NXT!

Now ROH and TNA...
If they have something like this done it will be good for a while only. I don't think the huge fame will last after a storyline like the invasion. TNA might be a bit better if something like this went down but I don't think it's worth putiing the effort into ROH. It just wouldn't work, IMO, they are no competition to WWE or TNA, because the storylined are not that big, the product itself is nothing but the talent they're is great.

I want to listen to other ppls opinions on this because I know ppl might respond and red rep this. You may change my mind.

Hahahahaha!

ECW...hold on while I gather myself.

ECW was the "major consistent competition" for the WWF? Ho ho ho!

ECW never put a dent in the WWF. If WCW hadn't come along and started whipping the WWF in the Monday Night Wars, Vince would still be doing double taped episodes of garbage men wrestling hockey goalies.

I think you put entirely too much faith in WCW. While I will admit that WCW had alot of great moments, they were far from consistently good. Which was why I mentioned ECW was the "major consistent competition" for the WWF. And yes, the Godfather had ho,ho, hoes!:lol:

Despite whatever problems ECW might've had, their shows were consistently good and sometimes bordering on great. I'd say WCW wasn't consistent when guys like Disco Inferno & Alex Wright were given anything close to a decent push or considerable airtime.

Last but, not least, WWF would be doing "double taped episodes of garbage men wrestling hockey goalies"? Really? Because WCW had something almost as bad, David freakin' Arquette as their world champion. At least ECW never sank to that level of desperation and kept their title prestigious. Neither did WWF, for that matter. It's obvious you are a WCW mark and that's fine. Just don't try to sell everyone that ECW was so bad. Because at times, it was ten times better than anything WCW ever attempted. Which was why WCW & WWF stole ideas, talents, storylines, etc from ECW. That tells a much better story than my words could. And exactly how many times has WWE attempted to resurrect WCW? Compare that to how many incarnations there have been of ECW. Nuff said......

I think you put entirely too much faith in WCW. While I will admit that WCW had alot of great moments, they were far from consistently good. Which was why I mentioned ECW was the "major consistent competition" for the WWF. And yes, the Godfather had ho,ho, hoes!:lol:

Despite whatever problems ECW might've had, their shows were consistently good and sometimes bordering on great. I'd say WCW wasn't consistent when guys like Disco Inferno & Alex Wright were given anything close to a decent push or considerable airtime.

Last but, not least, WWF would be doing "double taped episodes of garbage men wrestling hockey goalies"? Really? Because WCW had something almost as bad, David freakin' Arquette as their world champion. At least ECW never sank to that level of desperation and kept their title prestigious. Neither did WWF, for that matter. It's obvious you are a WCW mark and that's fine. Just don't try to sell everyone that ECW was so bad. Because at times, it was ten times better than anything WCW ever attempted. Which was why WCW & WWF stole ideas, talents, storylines, etc from ECW. That tells a much better story than my words could. And exactly how many times has WWE attempted to resurrect WCW? Compare that to how many incarnations there have been of ECW. Nuff said......

You misunderstand me. I never said ECW was bad, I said it was never competition for the WWF. And it wasn't. As for the David Arquette as world champion thing, yes it was bad. Who denies that? It was at the end of the life for WCW and was done by a company desperate for attention after ratings had collapsed. Who defends it?

As far as WCW revives, there was a never a need for a revive as all the active workers from WCW were still working for major promotions. I wonder why the majority of ECW workers can't get work without a resurrection ppv while the majority of WCW workers managed to stay employed...

Lastly, I enjoyed ECW and WCW both. I hate to come across as someone who hates on ECW as I don't. I loved ECW. I hate Vince McMahon wrestling. My comment was in jest and was meant to point out that ECW never competed with the WWF. They never drew significant ratings, they never sold significant ppv numbers, they never sold merchandise at a high level, they never sold out significant arenas, etc. They just weren't competition. I'll add that anyone who says ECW was consistently great, or always great, or anything like that, must be limited in their viewing to compilation DVDs or best ofs. ECW had a TON of junk.

Just stumbled upon a related video that I never knew existed:

[youtube]5sEaJUBvSpU[/youtube]

Easily one of my favorite storylines of all time. God I love 1997 WWF.

Shane Douglas sucks.

And that's all that needs to be said, but since I don't want to be flagged for spam, I can go into more detail.

Shane Douglas can't draw a dime, he's a piss poor worker, has a piss poor attitude about everything, and he collaborated in desecrating the NWA Worlds Heavyweight title. The man spit on everything that came before him because he sucked so hard and blamed his lack of being pushed on Ric Flair. Also, his time in the WWF was awful... and he couldn't stay clean long enough to sign a long term contract.

Shane Douglas. Sucked.

Just stumbled upon a related video that I never knew existed:

[youtube]5sEaJUBvSpU[/youtube]

Easily one of my favorite storylines of all time. God I love 1997 WWF.

So weird to see Vince calm and cool in the video. Today's Vince would have been flipping out

Wasn't the summerslam that year going to have a Sandman/Dreamer vs Dudley Boys match?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back