Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
The Wrestlezone Movie Tournament, 1970's Bracket;
Round 1, Match -2

Taxi Driver

Taxi_20Driver_20f.jpeg

Vs.
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory​
144197~Willy-Wonka-the-Chocolate-Factory-Posters.jpg

I think that this matchup asks the immortal question to end all questions. Do people prefer teenage ****es over oompa loompas? That question will be answered in this thread.

I am going Taxi Driver here. I love Roald Dahl books, but they were never violent enough for me. This is the movie that made kids scared of Robert DeNiro, launched the illustrious career of Jodie Foster, inspired a presidential assassination attempt, and made it just a little more interesting to ride a cab. Willy Wonka inspired acid trips. Enough said, Taxi Driver it is.

"Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" is a lot of fun and a classic in its own right, but its no where near being the classic "Taxi Driver" is.

De Niro is unbelievable in "Taxi Driver". Unbefuckinglievable. He makes this movie what it is. While Jodie Foster and Harvey Keitel give great performances as well, it's De Niro's unbelievable ride to insanity that makes this film the classic that it is.

There aren't many movies I will vote over "Taxi Driver", and "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" certainly isn't close to being one of them, but that movie does deserve some credit. Most kiddy films from that era are fucking unbearable to sit through, but "Willy Wonka" still holds up to this day. But still... it's nothing compared to "Taxi Driver".

I love Willy Wonka. It's easily another great Cult Classic. I think it may tend to get a little more love then it deserves, but it's still a great flick. It's campy, and a tad bid annoying, but that is good from time to time. I think it is a far superior film to the crapfest that was Tim Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate factory. All taht being said, Taxi Driver is simply a superior movie. I don't agree that it should be the #2 movie in the 70's bracket, but it's a topic for another thread.

Taxi Driver all the way. Simply a fantastic movie. Willy Wonka is a classic. I loved it as a kid, and used to watch it all the time. That being said, Deniro is a GOD among men. He was amazing in this film. Just like Willy Wonka is a classic the same can be said about Taxi Driver and then some. Great Film, superb acting. WHAT? "You talking to me?"

I'll take Papa's OCW finisher here. Wonka is cool to say the least. It's visually stunning and is a mind trip to beat all mind trips. Rold Dahl's book is done great justice and Gene Wilder is freaking creepy here, but you're up against De f'ing Niro for crying out loud. Taxi Driver is a trip inside the mind of a man who is slipping into madness. With Jodie Foster in there as well, Mr. Wonka's Factory is closed for business.

Willy Wonka, I feel, suffers from rose-colored glasses. If you were a kid when you saw it (even though you may have been a kid years and years after it was created), you tend to like the film more than you would if you were just seeing it for the first time AFTER your childhood. I wasn't one of the people that saw Willy Wonka while I was a child. I saw it when I was a teenager. So to me, it fell flat. I'm sure its audience is justified in enjoying it, but I felt no sort of magical butterflies in my stomach by viewing it.

I also viewed Taxi Driver for the first time as a teenager. The grit of the film is part of its charm but it also makes it difficult to watch. I certainly wouldn't classify Taxi Driver as a film you just pop in when you're bored. Though, that's not necessarily a bad thing as not all films are to be taken so lightly. Both films have made their stamps on pop culture, and although Willy Wonka may be the more popularized of the two, I feel the R-rated bias is part of the reasoning behind that.

Taxi Driver.

I don't think a childhood is complete without watching Willy Wanka and the Chocolate Factory. Now that there is a remake, I am saddened to know that kids wont be watching the original anymore. That said, I don't think amny people will be voting for this movie in today's round. Not against Taxi driver. The movie is too good. Robert De Niro is a Movie making master. His movies always do well from his superb acting, and this is another example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back