• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

11 new NXT recruits; only 4 are American

Article Link

Nick Paglino posted the following to the main page:

Nick Paglino said:
WWE has issued the following press release:

WWE® PERFORMANCE CENTER WELCOMES NEW CLASS OF RECRUITS

STAMFORD, Conn., April 13, 2015 – WWE (NYSE: WWE) today announced that a new, international class of 11 recruits, including former collegiate athletes, bodybuilders and talent from the independent wrestling circuit, from seven countries have begun training at the WWE Performance Center in Orlando, Florida. The WWE Performance Center is the home of NXT®, the developmental division for WWE. With seven training rings, a world-class strength and conditioning program and cutting-edge edit and production facilities, the Performance Center will allow the new class to hone their skills through a comprehensive program that includes in-ring training, physical preparedness and character development.

“The global reach of WWE is reflected in the diversity of this class of NXT recruits,” said Paul “Triple H” Levesque, WWE Executive Vice President, Talent, Live Events & Creative. “Talent is the most important natural resource we have, and these individuals will have every opportunity to hone their skills and fulfill their dream of becoming a WWE Superstar or Diva at the WWE Performance Center.”

The new NXT class includes:

Australia:

Cassie McIntosh (Born in Sydney, resides in Melbourne, Australia) – Trained with Pro Wrestling Alliance in Sydney since 2011. In 2012, was trained by Lance Storm, a former WWE Superstar who now runs the Storm Wrestling Academy. Proficient in dance and acrobatics.

Jessica McKay (Sydney, Australia) – Since 2008, has trained with Pro Wrestling Alliance in Sydney, as well as Ring of Honor.

Canada:

Nhooph Al-Areebi (Toronto, Ontario, Canada) – Trained with Squared Circle since 2011 and was a member of the Toronto Circus School from 2008-2012. Also trained in rhythmic gymnastics. Speaks English and Arabic.

Germany:

Axel Tischer (Dresdan, Germany) – Trained with GWF Wrestling in Berlin since 2006. Served in the German Army from 2005-2007, achieving the rank of Private First Class.

Mexico:

Oscar Vasquez (Ciudad Juarez, Mexico) – Trained in Juarez in Lucha Libre style of wrestling. Worked with CWF Mid-Atlantic. Dual citizen of Mexico and the U.S.

Serbia:

Radomir Petkovic (Belgrade, Serbia) – European Vice Champion at the 2010 European Wrestling Championships and was a two-time bronze medalist at 2009 Mediterranean Games in Greco-Roman and Freestyle. Speaks Russian and English.

United Kingdom:

Peter Howard (Exeter, England) – Played collegiate Rugby in the UK and was a regional Discus Champion.

United States:

Kenneth Crawford (Chicago, Illinois/Anson County, North Carolina) – Served in the US Marine Corps for four years and accumulated a perfect 300 score in the United States Marine Corps Physical Fitness Test. Holds the North Carolina South Piedmont and Anson High School records in the 200 meter, 400 meter and 4 X 4 relay. Anson High School Athlete of the Year in 2007.

Thomas Kingdon (Traverse City, Michigan) – Competed in Amateur Bodybuilding and won the Super Heavy Weight Class at the 2013 NPC Central States Competition.

Sesugh Uhaa (Atlanta, Georgia) – High School Soccer, Football and Track & Field star. Began training in 2009 and worked for Dragon Gate USA.

Levis Valenzuela Jr. (Durham, North Carolina) – Trained with CWF Mid-Atlantic in 2013. Proficient in dance and won various awards for collegiate ballroom dancing. Holds a Bachelor of Arts in Criminal Justice from UNC Charlotte. Grew up in the United States, lived in South Korea from 2011-2013 and speaks Spanish.

The new class will join a group of 55 men and women training out of the state-of-the-art, 26,000 square-foot WWE Performance Center. The venue offers a full training experience with real time feedback from WWE coaches, trainers and doctors, giving performers the resources they need to develop their talent both athletically and creatively. Additionally, recruits will be immersed in WWE’s Professional Development program that focuses on four key pillars of development – Life Skills, Education, Wellness and Career Success.

Both the Ozzies are girls, one trained by Lance Storm, which is interesting. Do you think this is an exciting new bunch or, while these guys all sound talented, do you think WWE is trying to fulfill some sort of quota?

I'm certainly pleased to see a lot of people from all over. I don't recall any other Serbian wrestlers for example. An Arabic-speaking wrestler always gives me hope for "Hassan Second Coming" as well.

Hopefully they don't give the German ex-Army guy a horribly offensive gimmick.

(Mind you, 55 people is a LOT to potentially get FE'd before we ever see them.)

An Arabic-speaking wrestler always gives me hope for "Hassan Second Coming" as well.

I doubt they'll give a woman that gimmick. Also, speaking Arabic ≠ good for a terrorist gimmick. Just ask this guy:
Sami-Zayn.png

I remember hearing somewhere that they really don't want to FE people as they are investing resources into them so they'll get them into a position somewhere in the company so they get a return on an investment.

Would lol hard at nazi gimmick, but obviously never going to happen. Definitely wont see, or a second coming of hassan, that kind of thing down in next but who fucking knows what vince will do to them when(if) he calls them up to the main roster, still pissed at the changes made to the Ascension & a little at the changes to Neville.

NXT is part of the WWE Network. WWE is failing to get the subscribers it wants/needs. Overseas results haven't been so great. Bringing anonymous Americans does not bring in domestic subscribers so they are trying to bring in foreigners in hope of bringing in more foreign subscribers.

NXT is part of the WWE Network. WWE is failing to get the subscribers it wants/needs. Overseas results haven't been so great. Bringing anonymous Americans does not bring in domestic subscribers so they are trying to bring in foreigners in hope of bringing in more foreign subscribers.

I was thinking it's more of the common Hiring process done by most businesses these days. Hire more than you think you'll need under the idea that you'll have deal with firing a few as well as having those few people leave due to other issues. I really don't see a problem with this.

I am, however, interested in seeing what the two new women can put on in the ring. Hopefully they get something better than the Ol' Blue Pants treatment... though it worked out great for Ol' Blue Pants.

I doubt they'll give a woman that gimmick

Let me dream, Thriller! Let me dream!

GSB said:

While this, yeah probably is true, I think it's a good sign for some more diversity. I mean it's probably a better reason for a cash grab than most.

But then again how many of us watch because there's a guy there from where we live? I watched wrestling before Mason Ryan, and I'm pretty sure Maffew of Botchamania watched before Neville. Does national identity really pull in that many more viewers?

Cool to see Jessie McKay finally get signed to WWE. Saw her a couple of times at PWA in her early years (I think) and she was pretty good then. Haven't kept up but good to see she got the spot she's always wanted.

Never heard of Cassie McIntosh though.

EDIT: Oh, it's KC Cassidy. Right, silly me.

Both the Aussie girls I know personally from training with them in PWA. Both are very good especial Jessica McKay who had. Part in training me I worked with her in the ring occasionally, she is awesome. KC Cassidy was with them before but located to Melbourne to MCW and did quite well there.

Does national identity really pull in that many more viewers?

Maybe. But you don't know unless you try. Yao Ming made the NBA a ton of new money from China that they would otherwise never see. There is a guy from Latvia who made the NHL All Star Game this year due to Latvians showing interest in him despite the fact that he is on the worst team in the league and wasn't really producing on an All Star level. I think WWE is making small investments in these guys in hope of local press gives them free press in those countries and that nationalistic pride gives them new customers that were never interested in fake wrestling and John Cena.

6 out of 7 of these signings may end up being losses but the 1 that hits can make up for the rest and then some.

But don't get me wrong. I am not saying these signings are just for their nationality it just helps when WWE is so focused on selling their network to people who may not be familiar with their product (via NXT).

I really liked Levis Valenzuela's charisma - he was featured in an NXT tryout video from the WWE but I'm having trouble finding it - but he's probably who I'm most excited about, just from his promo skills look and size. Very cool to see an Afro-Latino male on tv.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back