Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
super-mario-kart.jpg

Mario takes on Sackboy as one of the early favourites clashes with a game that Sony is taking to the bank. Can it take on the fearsome might of Super Mario Kart and come out on the other side?

discountedgame-256px-little_big_planet_cover2.jpg

Super Mario Kart all the way. Granted it had some things wrong with it that got fixed in later entries of the series, but it was a blast to play and great for its time. Little Big Planet or Mario Kart? Easy choice for me because Super Mario Kart is better in terms of gameplay, music, and just all around more enjoyable.

LittleBigPlanet 2 is the game that never ends.

The designers of LBP say that your only limit is your imagination. They're right. The levels and games created in LittleBigPlanet 2 already are simply staggering. I went through a playthrough of several random LBP2 levels yesterday, to introduce Mozz to the game, and the variety is unbelievable. They ranged from First Person Shooters to dungeon-crawlers, to clever and challenging platformers, to fighters, to racing games, to an absolutely stunning piece of gaming art called The Machine That Feeds On Our Dreams. You can create anything in LittleBigPlanet 2. Anything. LBP1 may have provided the promise, but LBP2 delivered the goods.

Every day, more and more levels are being made, and some of them are simply astounding. If you think there are limitations in the editor, the community designers have already busted through them. If you think something can't be done, it's like the community wants to specifically prove you wrong.

Single player? Multiplayer? LBP2 is great at both. The game's story mode features humorous cutscenes and some charming and brilliant levels of its own, and the single-player-only levels in the Community can engross you as much as any other game in the tourney. Try giving In Pursuit Of The Meddling Magpie or Steel City a try and tell me that these aren't GOTY contenders by themselves. And not only are these levels fun in a bun, the entire game becomes exponentially better when playing with a friend, online or offline, designing levels or playing them.

This game has the most replay value of any game, ever, because it literally does not end. There is always new content of all types being generated every second. It will excite and mystify you like no other game.

Super Mario Kart is a mascot racer. It's one done right, and it's fun, but it really is just that. I love Mario, but LBP2 can do racers as well, along with millions of other kinds of levels and games. One spin through the best levels that normal people have created on LBP2 and your mouth will be left hanging open in awe of the genius that some of these designers possess.

Oh, did I forget to mention that it's also incredibly fun?

Super Mario Kart just can't compete.

Mario Kart wins this hands down. Easily the most fun racer I've ever played and still highly enjoyable even now.
Little Big Planet is just a platformer with some extra bells and whistles. It's only as good as your imagination and mine is rubbish, so this is an easy choice.

Little Big Planet is just a platformer with some extra bells and whistles. It's only as good as your imagination and mine is rubbish, so this is an easy choice.

You're wrong, though. The limit isn't your imagination - It's others' imagination. You can spend an eternity playing games and levels that other people have made. You aren't required to make anything if you don't want to.

Also, LittleBigPlanet 1 may have been a platformer with some bells and whistles added, but LittleBigPlanet 2 is so much more. No longer are creators limited to platform levels, LittleBigPlanet 2 can make any sort of game, from an RPG to a point-and-click to a top-down beat-em-up, to a racing game, and more.

Lee said in the Mario Kart 64 thread that to judge a sequel he looks back and sees what it improves. Well, let's see what LittleBigPlanet 2 improves from LittleBigPlanet 1:
  • A full-blown story mode featuring characters and cutscenes.
  • Ability to create cutscenes and full movies for your games and levels.
  • A music sequencer, which means custom music for your games.
  • AI Sackbots which can be used for gameplay or storytelling purposes.
  • The Controllinator, which maps the controller buttons to anything you could want, thus making it possible to create any kind of game.
  • A completely overhauled Logic system, allowing for more interactions and easier design.
  • More costumes, more materials, more music, and more puzzles.
  • Complete compatibility with LBP1, meaning that everything done in that can be transferred over and any LBP1 level can be played in LBP2, which gave us over a million levels off the bat.
  • Sharper and more dynamic graphics and textures, improving LBP1's already stunning charm.
  • Power-ups for use in levels, such as the Grappling Hook or Grabbinator, both of which add a whole new dynamic to the platforming sections of levels.
  • ...And more.

And all of this adds up to the Community being filled with millions of levels and games of every genre, of all different atmospheres and styles. Whether it's silly fun like trying to blow up your friend, a puzzler like Tetris, a pixel-perfect remake of the first dungeon in Legend of Zelda, or a first-person corridor crawler, LBP2 has something for everyone.

LBP2 is so much more than "a platformer with bells and whistles". It is a hub of creativity that could conceivably last you forever.

I'm gonna have to go with LBP2 here. If it were Mario Kart 64 or newer, it might have taken some thought. But it's not, and LBP2 if just miles ahead of the origional kart racer. Plus, as others said, LBP2 never really ends.

You two are sick fucks for putting these against each other. If I had a heart, it would be torn.

Had to go with super mario cart. Too much fun, too many good times, stands the test of time too well. You could bust that fucker out at a party TODAY and have a ball.

Its also a synonym I use for sex IE "Im inviting that girl over to play mario kart tonight" soooo I pretty much have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back