(1) Steve Austin vs. (4) Lou Thesz Round 4

Discussion in 'General WZ Tournament Discussion' started by Natural Selection, May 9, 2012.

1. Natural Selection

Natural Selection InfoWarrior

This could be the most compelling match up in the fourth round

Thoughts?

2. Thom

Thom Hello there!

That regardless of how good any arguments for Thesz may be, Stone Cold will inevitably go through.

3. Natural Selection

Is there any stipulation that would favor Thesz so greatly that the Austin blinders are forced to be removed?

4. Thom

Thom Hello there!

I couldn't say, I only know as much about Thesz as I have read to be honest, he was way before my time. That said, I'm sure it's much the same for a lot of other people, they know Austin as one of the greatest of all time, and because he's against an "old-school" wrestler, they're not going to think about it, most people will just go with what they're familiar with.

I'm not saying it should go either way, I'm in no way saying Austin doesn't deserve it, but because he's so big, many will probably disregard Thesz entirely, it's sad, but most likely true, that's just how these things go. That said, he's got this far, so who's to say he won't go on? Me, apparently, although I could be surprised.

5. Loveless

Loveless A Life In Monochrome

It could be a submission match and Austin would still win by 40 votes. Thesz hasn't a chance in hell against the delusional populist voters.

6. The Brain

The Brain King Of The Ring

Let's not forget about Austin's awesome Lou Thesz Press. Does Thesz have anything like that in his arsenal?

Danger Burger and Dowdsy McDowds like this.
  7. Danger Burger

Danger Burger Thread Killer

Whoah there man, relax!! Whether you like it or not, there is a strong arguement to be made for austin, he's not te kind of person you can just fob off as a footnote, even compared to thesz. Both were higly influential, possible as popular as each other, and both phenomenal wrestlers! Voting for austin doesnt automatically title you as a delusional populist voter, have a bit of respect for your peers man!

I think a Pure Rules match would obviously be in Thesz favour, austin tends to rely on those fists a bit often, and though he was a great wrestler (before injuries and jada jada), he could not match thesz if it came down to that, especially with thesz inventing half the moves austin knows!!

Anything hardcore would suit austin, but other than maybe an ultimate submission i dont see any favouring either too heavily! Anything requiring grappling suits thesz, anything which allows you to bang your oponent with something (HIAC?) would suit austin!

8. FlexAmerican Dynamite

FlexAmerican Dynamite RIP Cooper's Title Reign

I think he's still mad about Hart getting beaten by Punk. Which in my view is one of the best upsets of the tournament. Anyway I think Austin vs Thesz should be a interesting match. Do I do think most people are going to vote for Austin because he's Austin.

9. Hulk Hogan's Brother

Hulk Hogan's Brother Stop asking me what I'm gonna do!!!

Ultimate submission or something will undoubtedly favor Thesz but I will vote Austin in a hardcore environment.

10. SD619

SD619 Getting Noticed By Management

Whatever be the stipulation, there is no way that Thesz will get more votes than Austin.

I'm really looking forward to Glegarin's posts regarding the match.

11. Remix

Remix Is a thin rope

Steve Austin will win this match even if it took place under rules stating that "Steve Austin must start this match with his hands cuffed and bound with rope. Also Lou Thesz has paid of the referee to ensure a victory. As such he is not subject to any rules causing him to get counted out, DQed amd the Ref will always count his pins fast and Austin's slow. And Austin pre-match drink were spiked with Rohypnol."

Diet Soda likes this.
  12. Mr. Artistic guy

Mr. Artistic guy Better Off This Way

Gelgarin.

I'd vote Thesz in a submission orientated environment.

13. Gelgarin

Gelgarin Gentleman of the Old School

As I understand it there is a considerably higher chance of Thesz drawing a gimmick that quite clearly favours his opponent. Unlike everyone else who has gone up against one of my old school guys; Stone Cold is actually relevent, and even I'm going to feel inclined to vote for him if we draw a match that revolved around brawling with chairs.

On the one-in-four chance that we get 60 minute iron man though... heads will be cracked. Thesz'll still lose of course; as I have now mentioned sixteen times since the tournament began: people are stupid.

14. Blue Chipper

Blue Chipper Shapeshifting Humanoid

Austin is my favorite wrestler. I can be swayed. And by swayed, I mean a semi-lengthy pro-Thesz Gelg post will be suitably sufficient in deterring my voting behavior.

15. Remix

Remix Is a thin rope

You'll be surprised how many idiots don't read the posts in the discussion thread.

16. Little Jerry Lawler

Little Jerry Lawler Sigmund Freud On Ritalin And Roids

Never been an Austin fan so take that for what it's worth.

17. Natural Selection

I agree anything submission or pure rules based should favor Thesz by quite a bit. If its HIAC or anything hardcore oriented then there is no chance in hell the masses vote Thesz. Depending on the stipulation Austin could be sent packing. Seriously doubt it though.

18. justinsayne

justinsayne Cody Rhodes is an excellant

I thought this round we went to the KOTR style shit, where the next two matches are in the same night. No gimmick matches.

Also I could see Thesz getting a few votes in this, even *gasp* possibly winning.

19. JGlass

JGlass Unregistered User

No, the final 2 matches are KOTR style... I think. We still have another round of gimmick matches.

20. Nate DaMac

Nate DaMac Fuck erbody but me

Yup. When we get down to the final 8, we go into KOTR style. Not sure if the Finals are part of it, though.