Zdeno Chara Hit

hatehabsforever

Staff member
For those of you fellow NHL enthusiasts, I am sure most of you have seen the Zdeno Chara hit on Max Pacioretty in the Bruins/Canadiens game from last Tuesday night.

Pacioretty has a fractured vertebrae, and had to be hospitalized, although he has since been released. Chara will not face any disciplinary action from the NHL whatsoever. No fine, no suspension, no punishment from the League. Now the matter is apparently being investigated by the police in terms of potential criminal action.

Personally I think it is ludicrous for this matter to be reviewed by the police. It should be handled by the disciplinary panels of the NHL. He should have received a penalty (which he did) but I do not feel the matter warranted additional discipline. Wrong place at the wrong time. If the check happened 5 feet in either direction, it would be an academic point not even worthy of a penalty. I cannot imagine at the pace the NHL is played that anyone could suggest that Chara deliberately guided the guy into the turnbuckle on purpose.

Thoughts?

After seeing the Multiple replays, I am inclined to agree. It really didn't seem like it was even a particularly violent check, it was just one of those freak things. I am a fan of neither team, just an unbiased observer. Sometimes people get seriously injured on the same kind of play another would bounce back from 99 times out of 100. I don't mean this to sound flippant, but sometimes shit really does happen.

Christ the police are getting involved?! What the fuck? Something tells me conspiracy because it was Bruins and Canadiens. Chara did not intent to injure. This isn't fucking Todd Bertuzzi punching someone in the back of the head. It's one of those freak plays that was really bad. If it was on the regular boards it would have been a clean hit. Chara isn't a bad guy, and it was something that just you know, happened. It could happen to anybody in that situation. Those stanchions can hurt anyone.

It was a dirty hit, and for those of you who missed it...:
[YOUTUBE]Fa0LUmShklY[/YOUTUBE]

Do I think the guy should get suspended? Of course, maybe 5-7 games, because that was a dirty hit, no matter the outcome of it, but should there really be criminal examination?Of course not, shit happens it's a contact sport, and what Air Canada is saying about the hit is completely unnecessary.

Also, if the shit Chris Simon used to pull, and that didn't get Air Canada's attention, or get legal attention(I know the hit on Ryan Hollweg did, but I don't think the Ruutu one did), than this shouldn't even be talked about. Here are the Simon hits:
[YOUTUBE]esETGHljQi4[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]3hKeVb_G-PI[/YOUTUBE]

Bottom line, Chara should get 5-7 games max, and no criminal charges against him,it's really not as bad as some people think.

Chara should not be prosecuted for any criminal offense, that's simply ridiculous. What happens on the ice, or the field, or the court, or whatever, should stay within the realm of the game and be regulated by it. Within reason, of course.

He should not be fined or suspended either, and I was glad to hear that there was no further discipline. Hockey is a physical game which comes with inherent risks of injuries, if you are not prepared to accept it, you should play poker or darts. While the injury was pretty horrific looking, and no one ever wants to see any guy (even a hab ;) ) get carried off the ice on a stretcher, there was simply no intent to injure. It is a fast paced game, and Chara was simply running him off the play. If he had done so a couple of feet in either direction, it would have been a normal physical body check and that would be that. This was a case of bad luck, a case of the contact unfortunately occurring in the wrong place. There is no way that Chara could have possibly run the guy into the turnbuckle on purpose.

It was a dirty hit, and for those of you who missed it...:
[YOUTUBE]Fa0LUmShklY[/YOUTUBE]

Do I think the guy should get suspended? Of course, maybe 5-7 games, because that was a dirty hit, no matter the outcome of it, but should there really be criminal examination?Of course not, shit happens it's a contact sport, and what Air Canada is saying about the hit is completely unnecessary.

Bottom line, Chara should get 5-7 games max, and no criminal charges against him,it's really not as bad as some people think.

Explain to me how it was a dirty hit. I saw the replay about 10 times on SportsCenter before this and watched the replay you posted another five times. I see nothing dirty about it. Because it was accidentally into a stanchion? If that's the reason then how about any of the fluke hits I've seen where people have been checked while the bench door was open and they clip the corner of the door? It was a clean play and if it had been a hit on the boards nothing would have happened. Chara did what any defensemen would have in that situation, and bad luck is what screwed over Pacioretty. No further punishment necessary.

It was not a fucking dirty hit, it was as clean as you can get, if he hits him a couple feet sooner or later than he did, we wouldn't even be discussing this, it was just unfortunate timing, the game of hockey moves very fast, and Chara was just trying to get hit on the guy and put him in the boards, unfortunately the hit happened right in that little section that separates the two benches (which is something the NHL could look into adjusting in the off season, and likely will) Chara clearly had no intent to injure the other player, Chara received 5:00 minute interference penalty, and was ejected from the game, so it's not like he's getting off scott free anyway, the league knows that hockey is a fast paced game with a lot of hitting, as a result injuries are gonna sometimes happen, we can't go around punishing every player every time a freak incident happens to injure a player

AS for the police getting involved, clearly that just shows the the Mtl PD has nothing better to do with there time, the incident happened in the confines of the game, it's up to the league to handle any disciplinary action that is needed, which in this case was taken care of with the 5 min major and removing of Chara from the game

Bottom line is "The Best" is obviously a Canadiens fan. only people who are making a big deal about this ARE Canadien fans.

this is proof that French-Canadians are the biggest crybaby whiners on the planet...

getting police involved
a major airline involved
their government involved

i have even seen people threaten Chara online....but lets be real french-canadians would never step toe to toe with Chara, the are FRENCH-Canadians...and like history has show us the French always throw in the white flag.

I didn't think it was dirty at all. It was just a case of the wrong place at the wrong time. It just seems like Chara caught Pacioretty in the wrong place and the ice sent him flying into that wall area. Certainly a scary and dangerous play but I don't believe Chara meant to send him into the boards at that angle. I wouldn't complain with a suspension but I also don't believe that Chara is a dirty player for that hit at all. Hockey is a rough sport and injuries happen. I just chalk that up as a freak injury.

The Best, you want to know what a truly dirty hit looks like? go find the video of Claude Lemieux's cheap shot on Kris Draper. THAT is what a dirty hit looks like.

Bottom line is "The Best" is obviously a Canadiens fan. only people who are making a big deal about this ARE Canadien fans.
I'm actually a Senators fan(which is actually worse), and i wasn't making a big deal out of it, I said he should get a fews games just because he could have paralyzed the guy.

this is proof that French-Canadians are the biggest crybaby whiners on the planet...
Pacioretty is American.............
getting police involved
a major airline involved
their government involved
From what I read/saw I dont remember the government getting involved, I might be wrong, but I don't remember anything about the government getting into this.
i have even seen people threaten Chara online....but lets be real french-canadians would never step toe to toe with Chara, the are FRENCH-Canadians...and like history has show us the French always throw in the white flag.
:lmao: I'm not threatening Chara i meant to say it wasn't as dirty as it played off to be, I like Chara, he put in four great seasons with Ottawa, and I think he's still one of the most elite defense man in the league, with a fucking hard ass slap shot.

I'm actually a Senators fan(which is actually worse), and i wasn't making a big deal out of it, I said he should get a fews games just because he could have paralyzed the guy.

I would agree with you if it looked like he had even the slightest intent to injure the other guy, how ever he was clearly just trying to deliver a clean hit into the boards, had he hit him a half second sooner or later than he did, the other guy would be fine right now

For those of you fellow NHL enthusiasts, I am sure most of you have seen the Zdeno Chara hit on Max Pacioretty in the Bruins/Canadiens game from last Tuesday night.

Pacioretty has a fractured vertebrae, and had to be hospitalized, although he has since been released. Chara will not face any disciplinary action from the NHL whatsoever. No fine, no suspension, no punishment from the League. Now the matter is apparently being investigated by the police in terms of potential criminal action.

Personally I think it is ludicrous for this matter to be reviewed by the police. It should be handled by the disciplinary panels of the NHL. He should have received a penalty (which he did) but I do not feel the matter warranted additional discipline. Wrong place at the wrong time. If the check happened 5 feet in either direction, it would be an academic point not even worthy of a penalty. I cannot imagine at the pace the NHL is played that anyone could suggest that Chara deliberately guided the guy into the turnbuckle on purpose.

Thoughts?

Chara absolutely should be suspended.

Wrong place/wrong time is not an excuse for what happened.

It's like driving your car while texting, if you cause an accident while distracted/acting recklessly, you are responsible for any and all consequences of your actions. This is a legal concept called implied intent. The puck was 30 feet away therefore the original hit was illegal. Chara therefore assumed any/all consequences of his actions. Chara's illegal hit (interference is a penalty) meant that he had implied intent that made him responsible for all of the injuries Max Pax suffered.

Yeah, this is sort of garbage. Chara isn't a dirty player and doesn't have a track record of illegal hits. It was just bad timing and the stanchion happened to be there. Unfortunate circumstances, but people need to remember that Chara is also about 5-6" taller than most players and engaging him in risky areas isn't a wise idea. Leverage and momentum will carry you.

Also, I think classifying all French-Canadians as *****es is a rather ignorant thing to say. I'd love to see you go 3 rounds with Georges St. Pierre. I'm quite certain I know who I'd pick to look like the pussy in that fight.

I saw the hit, and one would think that Chara's actions were of the same vein as that of Todd Bertuzzi's on Steve Moore. But this wasn't an after the play cheap shot from behind. It wasn't even a borderline hit, let alone dirty. For the police to be involved is ludicrous here.

One of the things Ive read about the stry is that its just a way for the locals to back off. Apprently the switchboards at headquarters in Montreal have been inundated with calls rom said locals for the police to go after Chara for the hit.

The big difference between past hits that have launched criminal investigations and this one(Does Marty McSorley swinging his stick at Donald Brashear come to mind?) is intent. From anyone whose watched the video, Chara wasn't intentionally setting out to hurt Pacioretty. Its a shame Pacioretty got hurt, but the league was right in not suspending or fining Chara. I understand Pacioretty feeling wronged("I feel disgust towards this league", he said), but you and I would too if your career was on the fritz. Even with the public outcry in Montreal amongst those pissants doesn't change the fact that it's absurd for the police to launch an investigation against Chara.

Anyway, the only way this thing sees the light of day in a courtroom is if Pacioretty himelf decides to press charges against Chara. But even if he did, I think he'ld be laughd out of court. Both men were playing the puck, and Chara was doing what great defenseman do and finishing his check. It's a shame this happened, but for anyone to watch the video and claim "dirty hit, suspend him, or Pacioretty should press charges" knows little about hockey. I was pissed as hell when David Steckel hit Crosby and he's still out, but there were no repercussions from the league, and rightfully so. It was a clean hit. So was this one, so it needs left well enough alone. I feel for Pacioretty, but its an unforunte situation, not a criminal one.

While I do think it was a clean hit, I find it amusing that a Bruins fan is going around trying to talk this out as if they're completely unbiased. Don't worry, you have nothing to fear as long as you guys stay Bettman's diamond franchise.

Chara wasn't acting recklessly, nor was he distracted. He was attempting to push Pacioretty off of the play. This happens countless times a game. Just so happens that at this time it was in the wrong spot. Chara has no history of illegal hits, or dirty play. It was an unfortunate accident. He was punished by being ejected from the remainder of the game, and that should be it. I guess we should turn Hockey into a pussy sport saying there is no more checking because there is a chance somebody can get injured. There have been much worse dirty, illegal, and intentional hits than this that have gotten less attention.

This isn't fucking Todd Bertuzzi punching someone in the back of the head. It's one of those freak plays that was really bad. If it was on the regular boards it would have been a clean hit. Chara isn't a bad guy, and it was something that just you know, happened. It could happen to anybody in that situation. Those stanchions can hurt anyone.

I totally agree with him, Chara is not bad, i think that is an common accident in this situation...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back