Your Preferred Survivor Series Format

The Brain

King Of The Ring
This year marks the 25th annual Survivor Series. Besides WrestleMania it is WWE’s longest running pay per view. Over the years Survivor Series has been presented under a few different formats. For the first two years the entire card consisted of five on five elimination matches. The next two years it was changed to four on four including a grand match of survival in 1990 in which the survivors of all the matches faced off in another match at the end of the night. 1991 was the first year a singles match took place at WWE’s fall classic. There were the usual elimination matches plus a world title match. 1992’s version was just an ordinary ppv without the elimination matches. The mid 90s presented a mix of elimination matches with a few singles two or three singles matches. In 1998 the world title was vacant so a one night tournament was held at Survivor Series to crown a new champion. Since then it has mostly been a mix of elimination matches and regular matches with a couple exceptions. Which is your preferred format for the Survivor Series?

Every year many people here (myself included) hope WWE books mostly elimination matches. This is probably done more for feelings of nostalgia than anything else, and with the number of ppvs of the schedule these days there is nothing wrong with that. While I like the elimination matches I think we are definitely well past the point of the card being exclusive to them. The first few years of Survivor Series had a special feel to them because you had practically the entire roster on one show and many different combinations of interaction with them. For years now we’ve seen the majority of the roster just about every week on free tv so putting them all on one ppv together has certainly lost its luster. That doesn’t mean elimination matches need to face elimination themselves. We all love the nostalgic feeling and seeing these matches gives us a nice feeling of tradition. I like the general format of mixing some elimination matches with other matches but I think the other matches should be more than ordinary.

I would like to see a combination of 1995 and 2003. The portion I’d like to see from 1995 is the wild card match. This was an elimination match where teams were drafted at random (kayfabe) and wrestlers who were usually rivals had to coexist for that night. I’m surprised this was only done once in all these years. As for 2003 that may not seem any different than other events over the years but I like the idea of the matches that aren’t elimination matches having some other gimmick along with a big main event. In 2003 we had two big elimination matches, an ambulance match, a buried alive match, and a bigger than ordinary main event. I thought that was an event fitting of the name Survivor Series. The only problem is gimmicks have their own schedule now. Hell in a Cell and TLC have their own ppvs and Extreme Rules is a night of gimmicks. Despite that I would like to see Survivor Series have a little more effort put into it. It used to be the big four ppvs and I think Survivor Series is a distant fourth now as it’s fallen far behind the other three in terms of anticipation and performance. Honestly the only thing keeping Survivor Series in the big four is its longevity as I know many people look forward to Night of Champions or MITB more than Survivor Series.

How would you like to see Survivor Series booked going forward? Keep in mind this does not have to be a commitment set in stone. If something unusual occurs like in 1998 so be it. By the way, I’d also like to see the event moved back around Thanksgiving. Either Thanksgiving night or the night before or after would be nice. I know that’s not going to happen but I think it would make the event feel more special.

Id like:

A divas 5 v 5 match (only because they have to be on every show)
A Raw 5 v 5 match
A Smackdown 5 v 5 match
A Raw v. Smackdown 5 v 5 match (since they got rid of bragging rights)

Plus the two world title matches.

Thats 6 matches using atleast 34 superstars and 10 divas.

Id also like to see A Old School/Hall Of Famers/Legends vs. The Future/Today Superstars 5 v 5 match each Survivor Series, just to add a little excitement and great storylines- buildups.

I loved the 1990 format you mentioned, it had i think five 4vs4 elimination matches with all the survivors moving on to a final match, it really tied the whole event together .But honestly I don't know how well that would hold up today...all the champions were on teams with only bragging rights on the line and no titles. Doubt it would ever go back to that.

The tournament in 1998 was cool too, but i think that the KotR should really be filling that role. To me the best bet would be a Wargames or Lethal Lottery type of setup. Those were always entertaining and could provide something we haven't seen in a while.

I also am in favor of the thanksgiving tradition returning:)

I'm all for a traditional 4 on 4 or 5 on 5 Survivor Series match. However, I would like to see certain things come back like as someone mentioned previously, the wild card format. Also, I don't know if anyone would wanna see this again but does anyone remember the "Grand Finale" Survivor Series match format from 1990? For those who don't remember, the teams were made up of any of the surviving wrestlers from the previous elimination matches and they go at it. I would also like to see something that has never been done before (to my knowledge) and that is to have either the WWE Champion or World Heavyweight Champion captain one team, and the number one contender captain the other team. The championship would be put on the line, and the winning team's captain would win not only the match itself but the championship as well.

I agree with Brain about how 2003 was cool for having those two gimmick matches thrown in, along with a huge main event between HHH and Goldberg. I would pretty much base my preferred format off of that.

1. Basic opening match, perhaps for the IC title
2. 5 on 5 match featuring lower/midcarders
3. World Heavyweight Championship match
4. 5 on 5 match featuring the divas
5. Gimmick\Hardcore match, possibly doubling as a title match
6. 5 on 5 match featuring midcarders\upper midcarders
7. Main event 5 on 5 match (in this year's case, the one with Rock/Cena)

I do have to admit I primarily like the idea of a mixture of the elimination matches, and the singles matches. Tag team wrestling has never truly been a big thing for me, and most likely never will. However, with Survivor Series originally being about the whole tag team aspect, it's a needed thing to be featured for it to truly be a proper Survivor Series.

A few elimination matches, and a focus on specific title matches (Preferably the world titles, and maybe a mid-card championship match that has been building for a while, or has the momentum to stand out at this particular pay per view), that is probably how I'd rather see Survivor Series booked, mostly because it gives a bit for everyone.

Every year I want to see matches such as The classic elimination match, but it needs to be for a reason. For example, SS 2003 the Smackdown match was to further Brock and Kurt's rivalry and the teams were hand picked by them. Then the Raw match was for Stone Cold's job.

Next I would like to see at least one Scramble match. I think it fits the PPV well because the winner has to survive the match as the champ.

Also the last man standing match should make an apearence.

Survivor Series... The number three PPV in the WWE...

1) Tag Title match to start the show. If you want to regain prestige and respect in the Tag Team division, then the belts must be defended on your bigger PPV's. Being a survivor concept, a Tag Team Turmoil match would be ideal.
2) Diva's match. Nothing special, no frills, probably only a five minute affair, but put them on the card.
3) Singles match. There's usually a one-on-one grudge match on PPV, where no belts are at stake. Put them on the line here.
4) Mid card belt match. The US title is completely irrelevant at this point, so it would be the Intercontinental title on the line.
5) WHC match. It has lost a lot of relevancy over the last couple of years, even being the opening contest at Wrestlemania just passed. Give it the fifth spot.
6) The traditional five-on-five survivor series elimination match.
7) The WWE championship match. It is the premier title in WWE, and it deserves top billing on every WWE PPV.

*Only exception is that in 2011, the traditional five-on-five match may be of ridiculous storyline importance, so much so that it bumps up to be the main event.

The Survivor Series concept is kinda dated. Wrestling on TV has evolved to the point where a 4 on 4 match isn't the attraction it used to be.

But if the booking is good it could still be effective.

I guess I'm open to any combination of matches as long as they are booked properly.

I like the combination of single matches and the traditional elimination matches. However I would prefer to see 1 good tag team match to 3 mediocre ones. I think they should have the Smackdown vs Raw trophy match at survivor series every year. Also I hate the idea of Rock & Cena teaming together. They should each be a coach for a team but not be involved in the match.

I'd like to see the following format for the Survivor series:

A midcard 5 on 5 Elimination Tag Match,

A Divas Battle Royal with the winner facing the Divas Champion at the next Pay-Per-View,

A USC. or an INC. Match,

A 20 Minute Scramble Match for the WHC., which would include the WHC. and 4 TOP Contenders,

A Top Card 5 on 5 Survivor Series Elimination Match. ( Possibly Raw vs. Smackdown, for a free pick from the losers roster to join the winning roster. Cena and Orton immune from this pick.

And, Finishing up with a WWEC. Match. ( Possibly a 30 minute Iron Man Match, with sudden death rules if it ends in a tie.)

I'm a sucker for Survivor Series Elimination Matches as long as there are good stories behind them. Like to further feuds. For example, SS 2001 with the Alliance vs WWF angle, SS 2003 with Austin's job on the line, SS 2004 with Control of RAW on the line, and of course SS 2005 with RAW vs SmackDown.

I just don't like random guys being thrown together at the last minute and also, Elimination Matches don't seem to last long anymore. Elimination matches are like 13 minutes long when they should be 20+ at least.

I would have:

Opening match for a mid card feud for maybe the IC Title or US Title

5 on 5 Divas Elimination Match

Another mid card match

5 on 5 RAW Elimination Match

5 on 5 SmackDown Elimination match

World Championship Match

WWE Championship Match

With enough superstars on both rosters, it could work.

Also, we can't have RAW vs SmackDown every year. Bragging Rights tried it, but it will never have the story that the 2005 storyline had. I personally hated Bragging Rights, but that's another issue for another time.

note the name survivor series. how can u be a survivor in a series when its a one fall one on one match? bring back the 4 on 4 or 5 on 5 elimination matches with captains picking their teams. it brings up interesting possibilites of teamates and allows for a sudden face or heel turn with a drop of a hat(ala john cena when lesnar and angle both wanted cena) if they want to throw in a championship title match, so be it, but make it a championship scramble match or a 4 way dnace single elimination match or something. that way their are survivors and everymatch is a series living up to the name of the ppv. or even throw in a war games match

First: I didn't like the 1998 edition, it was basically King of the Ring at a different PPV, so (to pull this point on topic) I would NEVER use the 1998 for the Survivor Series PPV.

Now more on topic:

2 4 on 4 Survivor Series matchups featuring pairs of tag teams vs pairs of tag teams
the winning teams (4 winners from Match A and 4 Winners from Match B) face each other later on that night, the winners of those matches are guaranteed to be part of a triple threat tag team title match at the December PPV. This makes tag team wrestling relevant at a PPV. This is 3 matches right here, the first 2 would open the show, then the finals would be the Second to last match.

A Tag Title Match: keeping with the team of teamwork being important, have a tag title match

Main Event: Raw vs SmackDown 6 vs 6 match: the Singles Male Champions would be the team captains. Each Champion would pick 2 other members of his brand's team to make it 6 vs 6 elimination. To add some fun to this match, the winning team would all get bonuses in the forms of:

World Champion: Names the stipulation of his next title defense
Mid Card Champion: Names the stipulation of his next title defense
Recruits: One on one matches to determine which one will get number one contendership for the champion that recruited them, losers however are guaranteed a consolation prize, they will enter the Royal Rumble at the number of their choosing (to determine who picks first, they will have a match at the next PPV)

Losing Team:
Champions: must let their next challenger determine the match type, and their next opponents are named by their counterpart on the winning team.
Recruits: if a Recruit lasts longer than his champion, he faces the champion for the title (if all recruits survive longer, it's 2 triple threat matches) if a recruit is eliminated before his champion, he cannot compete in the Royal Rumble OR Elimination Chamber match.

This somewhat complex form should allow for drama and all.

2 other midcard matches: Divas title match

Fan's choice match: Fans vote for 5 superstars to face 5 "legends" give a list of 15 or so other superstars and 10 workable legends, 5 highest vote totals win. In order to guarantee legit voting, announce the results on the last SmackDown before the PPV and open the voting after the October PPV.

By my count that's

3 matches to choose number 1 contender for tag titles
total: 1 hour

1 tag title match: 20 minutes

1 divas match: 5 minutes

1 fan's choice match: 15 minutes

1 Raw V SD match: 1 hour

That's 2 hours 40 minutes, have 10-15 minutes for other segments, and you've got a PPV just under 3 hours.

I like the combination of single matches and the traditional elimination matches. However I would prefer to see 1 good tag team match to 3 mediocre ones. I think they should have the Smackdown vs Raw trophy match at survivor series every year. Also I hate the idea of Rock & Cena teaming together. They should each be a coach for a team but not be involved in the match.

I agree, Better have 1 actual good and planned 1 where you dish everything out. If you have like 3 in the same night then after the first or second it kinda lost it's flavor then when your set for the big elimination match of the night the fans are already tired of 5 on5.

I always preferred the old formats. 1987-1994 (with the exception of 1992 which had mostly singles matches). 87-89 were my favorites. I used to love the "tag team" elimination matches, they were always great. Nowadays all the ppv's are the same with the exception of Rumble and Mania. I can't stand the current ppv lineup with 12+ events per year. Doesn't make anything special anymore.

I always liked the Survivor Series PPV with only Survivor Series matches. My favorite format was the 1990 Survivor Series. If I were to redo this format today I’d go with 4 5-on-5 Survivor Series matches and a Grand Finale Match of Survival.

Raw Face Mid-Carders vs. Raw Heel Mid-Carders

Smackdown Face Mid-Carders vs. Smackdown Heel Mid-Carders

Raw Face Main Event vs. Raw Heel Main Event
The WWE Champion and the United States Champion are in this match.

Smackdown Face Main Event vs. Smackdown Heel Main Event
The World Champion and the Intercontinental Champion are in this match.

Raw Survivors vs. Smackdown Survivors.
The winners from the Survivors from the first four matches face of in a Grand Finale Match of Survival. I know what you’re thinking…we’re going to see John Cena vs. Randy Orton at the end!! HAHA!!

By the way, no Title matches. That's about half an hour per match for the first four and a whole hour for the Main Event.

I miss the good old days when there was more emphasis placed on the traditional Survivor Series elimination matches. The PPV still needs the two world title matches but other than that it could be nothing but elimimation matches. No pointless filler matches. The midcarders can have elimination matches one for Raw's midcard and one for Smackdown's. The divas can have one. Then perhaps a Smackdown VS Raw themed elimination match too, the part I miss the most from Bragging Rights.

WWE Championship match
World Heavyweight Championship match
Raw elimination match (US Champion is a team captain)
Smackdown elimination (IC Champion is a team captain)
Raw VS Smackdown elimination for brand Bragging Rights
Divas elimination match (Divas Champion is a team captain)

This format would work well for the card because much like the Royal Rumble, the emphasis could be taken away from the world title matches and placed onto the traditional elimination matches. The brand Bragging Rights match could close the show, especially if it featured only main eventers or upper card level guys.

I always preferred the old formats. 1987-1994 (with the exception of 1992 which had mostly singles matches). 87-89 were my favorites. I used to love the "tag team" elimination matches, they were always great. Nowadays all the ppv's are the same with the exception of Rumble and Mania. I can't stand the current ppv lineup with 12+ events per year. Doesn't make anything special anymore.

You read my mind. The 10 man tag team elimination matches from 87 and 88 are my favorite matches of all time.

In 1987 it was The Bulldogs, Strike Force, Young Stallions, Rougeus, Killer Bees vs Demolition, Hart Foundation, Bolsheviks, Islanders, Dream Team.

I loved the finish to this match with the Killer Bees putting on the masks and fooling the referee. Also, the Young Stallions have one of the most underrated themes in wretling history. It was meant to be used for the Hart Foundation. Jimmy Hart sang it. The lyrics were tailor made for Bret and Anvil but the song was so good that the WWF was afraid it would actually get the then heel Hart Foundation over as faces with the fans, so the song was given to the stallions instead. Good song, but it never really fit them.

In 1988 it was Powers of Pain, Bulldogs, Hart Foundation, Rockers, Stallions vs Demoltiion, Brain Busters, Rougeaus, Bolsheviks and Conquistadors. This is where Demolition dumped Mr.Fuji and became faces. I must have watched this match a thousand times as a kid. Demolition will always be superior to LOD. I don't care what anybody says. They werent ripoffs. Powers of Pain on the other hand were a direct Road Warrior ripoff. Demolition took what LOD was doing and perfected it, no different than Ric Flair did with Buddy Rogers gimmick. Demolitions ring attire was cooler, there entrance was cooler, and that theme song is still the most kickass riff in wrestling history.

The tag team division was so deep back then that teams that were considered B teams would be tag team champions nowadays or even back in the 90's. Today you would be lucky to find even one team that even comes close to the caliber of any of the teams in these two matches. In fact, the depth of the tag division didn't stop with the teams involved in these matches. Bushwhackers, Twin Towers, and a number of other teams could have been added. To think that there was actually a time where the tag division was so deep that they actually had leftover teams when creating a 10 man tag match with 5 teams on each side. Today you'd have to pad that list pretty heavily to get it up to 10.

I have been a Huge Fan of the Survivor Series since it began in 1987 and for the fact that it has evolved through the years. I like the Elimination Matches with some Singles for the 2 World Titles or even a IC,US,Tag,or Divas one thrown in. Im looking forward to the 25th Anniversary of the PPV as it should be a fun Survivor Series.

It's funny that my top favourite Survivor Series PPV is the Survivor Series without the elimination matches, 1998. 2002 comes in as my second fave which didn't really have any elimination matches either except for Jeff Hardy & The Dudleys vs. 3 Minute Warning in a Tables match. 2003 comes in as my third fave although I may do some thinking about if I should swap 2002 & 2003 around cause 2003 is beginning to look better to me at this very moment right now.

Anyway, I'd pick a mixture of the first two Survivor Series' with the 90's & 2003. The only matches are 5 on 5 Survivor Series' matches along with the "Grand Finale" Survival match and matches based on "surviving". Example:

1) 5 Smackdown faces vs. 5 Smackdown heels
2) Championship Scramble for IC, US or one of the other mid-card belts
3) 5 Raw faces vs. 5 Raw heels
4) Last Man Standing for the WWE Championship
5) Divas Survivor Series match
6) Raw winners vs. Smackdown winners
7) Ambulance match for the World Heavyweight Championship

I'm crossing my fingers hoping that the WWE titleholder is in a Survivor Series match. I'd like to see them run SS without title matches, and truly emphasize the 5v5 matches.

As others have said...

all you need is proper booking and build. They've done a great job building for........

potentially ONE 5v5 match. Cmon, WWE.

Then again, Vickie Guerrero's stable vs Air Boom & others could work quite nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back