Your Musical Rite-Of-Passage?

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I would think that everyone has had one of these. That moment when your musical tastes were shaped forever and you knew that no music would ever just be “OK” any more. This was the moment that music began to make sense and you were fully on board with that idea.

For me, it came a few years ago. My Mum and Dad were separated and my step-dad came into the fold. Not only was he so into Rock music that he had long hair down his back, but he would never stop talking about music and how rock music had changed the world. Every rock band that walked the face of the Earth should pay tribute to the bands who had come before them and in particular, it was one ban whom he referenced constantly... Metallica.

Now, the idea of this thread is not to tell tales of how you came to like Metallica, or any other band for that matter. The idea behind this thread is to tell other when you became a follower of music. Music is everywhere. It is on the public transport that you use to get to your work. It is playing when you get there and it will be playing when you watch TV. Like it or not, music defines who we are and what we feel. The power that music can harness would frighten you and this thread is designed for you guys to tell us when the moment was that you realised that music would never be the same again in your mind. Post the video/song/story that accompanies this rite of passage too.

For me, it all comes back to this story about my step dad. We drove a banged up car and the only thing that was working in it was the cassette player,. Luckily, the only cassette that seemed to work in it was a mix tape of Metallica. I would be lying if I said that I liked it at a very young age. However, when I grew up and musical tastes were beginning to shape who I was, one song became very prominent in my head. In Scotland, Metallica have a fan base but you will find it hard to find a lot of people who were my age that were interested. However, this one song made me who I was in relation to music. It fashioned my liking of music and that song is Enter Sandman.

The raw emotion that runs through every stroke of the guitar's strings make me shiver with joy. This song is unrivalled in every sense of the word. The feeling of it, the grandeur! Everything about this song speaks to me and when I was at the age of 12/13, when music was becoming a huge part of my life, this song was so important.

But what about you? What are your stories?

I would think that everyone has had one of these. That moment when your musical tastes were shaped forever and you knew that no music would ever just be “OK” any more. This was the moment that music began to make sense and you were fully on board with that idea.

I like to think I've had a few of these moments in musical life, especially in the last 6 years of my life.

In Highschool I had absolutely no musical identity, which stems from listening to whatever was on the radio, or whatever the parents where listening to. I was no different that your run of the mill Highschool kid who was just listening to what everyone else was listening to; partially because I was trying to fit in, and partially because I never really looked at music as anything special. I couldn't really relate to the music I was listening to, and I had no motivation to discover music that I could relate to.

It wasn't until the very end of my senior year that I started to establish my own musical identity, my best friend was really diggin' the Franz Ferdinand song "Take Me Out" and decided to get the cd, and within a few weeks it was the only thing we where listening to. I remember having a real connection to this cd, and for the first time in my life the music is more than just music, it's something much better, something more powerful, something that can invoke emotion and push all the right buttons, something I can count on and something I can always fall back on.

The door to infinite musical delights had finally been opened, and I had no plans of ever looking back. This was my first example of stepping outside the generic circle of music that many of us tend to fall into, I was listening to music because I liked it, not because some radio station told me it was good or because everyone else thought it was good.

Franz Ferdinand changed everything I knew about music, and opened that door to endless musical possibilities, a door that has kept me distracted for over six years, a door that changed my life for the better.

When I was a senior in college(2001/02, Im old:rolleyes:), both my roommate and myself had an extensive music collection. We had very similar tastes, and even wound up buying alot of the same music. Well, between semesters, he had a family emergency, and wound up moving back home. With it, by purpose or not, he took our entire music collection with him. I was literally out of about 100 CD's, and had to start over.

I didnt want to buy the same old stuff, so I started trading in my old video games and eventually my video game system to buy music. The guy at the music store was very knowledgeable in terms of music, and introduced me to alot of albums by bands I was familar with and liked, but didnt know of their previous discography. I had been listening to a steady diet of Bush, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Live, Pearl Jam, and Staind at the time, so anything different was entirely foreign to me. I wasn't even aware of sub-genres within the same music industry. So as I headed back to the store another week, he informed me of a CD that had just been traded in, and he highly recommended. What he produced was Morning View by Incubus. I had never heard of the band, but upon his recommendation, I gave them a shot. One particular song stuck with me, over and over.

Wish You Were Here- Incubus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp9S_QirwhQ

I was so overexposed to the played out genre of the depressed, whining musician that these guys were a refreshing change of pace. My girlfriend(now wife) went to another school, in Indiana, so we saw each other only in the summer and on holiday breaks, so this was a song that we connected through, and music became one of the things that we enjoy together most now.

I never thought one song could so change my perspective on music. I found the lyrics intelligent, and hopeful. It was one of those songs that both through the music and the emotions displayed, I became tolerant of other genre's other then just "grunge rock", and has shaped the taste of the music I listen to today. You're as likely to find me listening to a singer like Regina Spektor as you are to Breaking Benjamin, mostly because of my finding Incubus. I was no longer stuck in a genre of music, and found enjoyment in listening to a variety of music that I had neglected in the past because of it's label.

Talib Kweli was the artist. When I bought his album "Quality" on a whim, I assumed it'd have a few songs that I'd be into and hopefully, it wouldn't be a total waste of time.

Boy, was I surprised. He was just incredible lyrically. Still, to this day, one of the best rappers I have ever heard. From "Get By" to "Good To You."

Not only did it shape my taste, but also how I wrote when I decide to get a little aggression out. He's just an incredible rapper. A weird rhythm and some solid production team. Just, incredible.

Lines like... "Even if your conditions are critical, and you're livin' is miserable, your position is pivotal, I ain't bullshittin' you." The layers are syllables that rhyme are incredible and the lines have some depth to them as well.

How he beautifully mentions hard ships and pains in this country, while still keeping the song musical and interesting.

I see a place where little boys and little girls, are shells in the ocean, not knowin' they own pearls.
No one to hold 'em while they growin', livin' moment to moment without a care in the whole world.
If I could help it, I will just how it is, and I may say some things that they don't like to hear.
I know it, that people lie, peope kneel, people die, people heal, people steal and people shed tears.
What's real, blood spills, gun kills, sun still, riiiise.
Above me, trust me, it must be, mornin', tiiiime.
Wake up, mistakes up, everybody wants the cake up to break up, with the crew.
But when the karma comes back, it's too late to make up some excuse.

Incredible.

So many quotable lines. A rapper with great lyricism and an understanding of how to structure a song. And some depth. Incredible.

Ahhh I am starting to understand the idea behind this thread now.

For me, I was the same as everyone else back in the early days of high school, just listening to whatever was on the radio, and didnt really have any connection to any particular type of music, although I knew I liked guitaring from listening to my parents Queen- Greatest Hits cd many times.

However, there was one song that when I first heard it, I felt a connection to it, it was the first real rock song that I got in to, and even better was the fact that my parents HATED it haha.

This was when I realised that there was music out there that I felt a connection with, and was something I wanted to hear more of. From this point onwards I started buying rock music magazines, and watching Kerrang! TV on Sky.

And you know where I first heard this song?? WWE as The Undertaker's theme music. After the first time I heard it, I tracked it down as being a Kid Rock song, and got the album the next week.

And the song, my friends, is American Bad Ass

[YOUTUBE]mt84J7U75e0[/YOUTUBE]

Hearing this led to me listening to Metallica too, as it uses the riff from "Sad But True"

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back