Your Fallback Game

Mac Attack

I'm neat.
I've just been in a Media Hub mood lately and so I'm going to continue that up with another thread today.

As video gamers I know for a fact that we all have those days where we're not entirely sure what game we want to play or what system we want to put or time into, and ultimately pick that Fallback game which never fails to give us the pleasure and video game enjoyment that we've been wanting. It's usually not the most recent, or the most prolific videogame but it's that game that no matter how many times we've played it, it just can't get boring and is something new every time we try it. Now not to be confused with our nostalgic throwback game (Ocarina of Time for Me) this is a game where when we're unsure we choose this one. And without further ado my Fallback game for when I'm extremely tossed up.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 is my go to game. I love starting a single player galactic conquest and adapting my army for any battle. It's a very fun, fast paced, and unpredictable game. It's not the graphically most brilliant game, nor is it the most advanced systems of playing a game, but it's an older, fun game which involves strategy and the ability to aim extremely well. I enjoy it because it blends successfully the Star Wars universe with a simple shooter game. Sure you occasionally can control a Jedi, but at the end of the day it's a laid back Star Wars themed shooter which is beyond awesome. It may not be the most talked about game, but it's the game where when all else fails you simply fallback to it.

But what's yours?

I have several.

Final Fantasy (usually 1, 4, 6, or 7)
Usually when I am bored but have NO clue what game to play.... I will find myself wondering if I'm in the mood to begin a new quest in any of the oldschool Final Fantasy games. I have played the older titles countless times so more often than not this take care of the boredom. If I do not have as much time on my hands or in the rare chance that none of the oldschool FF's sound good, I move further down the list.

Goldeneye
Infinite ammo + any gun + invincible + stress or boredom = No more stress or boredom. Usually anyway.

Smash Bros Brawl
With so many characters, so many items, and so many stages.... A few rounds of randomly selected characters fighting on randomly selected stages can often be a fun way to deal with the boredom.

Mario Kart Wii
I used to love sitting down for a round of every single track one after another in this game. If I have the time to spare, I still do sometimes. It has proven to be rather effective in fixing the boredom issue if I am unsure of what to play.

Super Mario Bros 3
If none of the previously listed games sound like something I feel like doing, this ends up being the fallback to my fallback. Something about this game never gets old and I've been known to finish the NES version, and move on to the Allstars version if still bored, and finish both in the same day before.

Tetris
If I have exhausted every single other option, I resort to Tetris. I could play it endlessly for hours upon hours or even for multiple days and never get tired of it. I like to listen to the Smash Bros Brawl version of the main theme while playing. That makes it all the more epic. Now if only I could break my personal high score from back in 2008.... This topic makes me want to try again tonight after work!

Put me down for Battlefront II also.

My favorite parts of the game are when they allow you to play with a Jedi for a limited amount of time (my favorite is Mace Windu) every now and then, because it breaks up the monotony of choosing the different classes of Clone Troopers.

I suck at the flying stages, though. And it took me a while to perfect the pain in the ass technique of using the harpoon and tow cables to bring down the AT-AT walkers on Hoth. Also, it took me a while to get past the stage on Kashyyyk, where you have to defend the Wookie base/power generator, when you're heavily out numbered. Ran through every class of Clone Trooper trying to get past it, until I came up with a strategy to get it done with the Trooper, who carries the rocket launcher. Before that I was blown up before I had chance to step out of my respawning spot, or I was blown up by a tank or thermal detonator, without having a real chance to do anything.

Honorable mentions for X-Men Legends II: Rise Of Apocalypse, Star Wars Racer Revenge, and Call Of Duty II: Big Red One, because I enjoyed the WWII settings more than the current stuff.

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. Still as addictive today as it was way back when I got it. While newer games from the Sid Meier family have surpassed it in many ways, there's a certain charm to SMAC that I can't shake. Since it's on my laptop it's great to travel with, and time melts away while I play it. Kills time without killing braincells. Perfect go to game.

Mine is Madden.
I'm almost always up for playing a football game. I can't think of a time when I've played it that I've gotten bored playing it.
If for some weird reason I decide not to play Madden I'll play a 2K NBA game or an NHL game.
Sports games are always a fallback for me.

Mine was Ni No Kuni until I did everything you could possibly do in it and got to the point where grinding levels for my bunch of bananas became a bit repetitive, so now I guess it's back to kingdom hearts 1. It's my favourite game of all time for a reason, and that's because I can play that game to death and it will still be fun. Everything about the game makes me want to keep playing it and never stop. The colosseum challenges are always there, begging me to beat them again and again and the synthesis of the ultima weapon always seems so close but always a couple of extremely rare drops away..
It also helps that I can beat the game without dying on expert in one sitting if I try hard enough so if I ever feel like starting a new save I've got something to do for the day..
Kingdom hearts 1. Great game.

After almost a year of having Xcom enemy unknown sitting in a drawer in the plastic unopened I finally started playing it today, it's pretty fun with the levelling of the people in the squad mechanic, so that might become my fallback if it can keep up its goodness. The stupid stuff like naming everyone in the barracks names from the east/west college football sketch on key and peele, or giving them hilarious hair colours and naming everyone "meatball" just give me so much joy that I might never get bored of it :p

For years it was the classic PC game Championship Manager 1997-98. I must have spent several thousand hours playing that over the years! It was before these management games became overly complicated (planning indiviudal training schedules for players etc), and was just simple, fun and easy to play!

I used to have this on in the background while I was revising for all my GCSE's, A-Levels, and University exams, so it helped to make revision more bearable!

Even though I had multiple games saves on there, the one I played mostly had me as Manchester Utd manager and I had reached season 35, before getting a message that told me I had reached the maximum memory that the game could hold and I had to stop playing. I actually was so disappointed!

I wish I still had that game.

I have a few depending or whether or not I have some friends over and if we need to kill time.

Super Smash Bros. Melee: Me and one of my close friends used to play it very competitively back in the day,we still play it pretty much whenever we feel like there's nothing else to do. Simple for other people we know to pick up and play, yet can be technical as hell. Extremely fun either way.

Fallout 3: Quite possibly one of Bethesda's best games and universes ever (I've always been a fan of Fallout over TES). Different builds to test out on your character, immersive world with lot's of paths and decisions to take, and it has pretty damn good music as well.

Osu!: A rhythm game that's free to play on PC, you download custom tracks or tracks of songs that are popular (from gaming,television,radio, etc.) and play either by yourself or with friends via netplay. Different difficulties make it easy for anyone to play, fun and addicting.

League of Legends: I might get some flack for this one, but it's honestly one of the most fun games I've payed in a while, while the community can be toxic as hell sometimes, the overall gameplay and diverse roster of characters make this game a pretty easy option when you're not sure what you want to play or do.

This is an awesome thread by the way.

I have 3:
1.Any Call of Duty Game- Even when im not in a video game mood I can just put these games in and have a blast. They are fun online and always something new from match to match.

2. Here Comes the Pain- Ive never had a boring moment with this game. Still best wrestling game and always cool to put in the old PS2

3. Star Wars Battle Front 2- Just like the OP this game never gets old. So much to do that and so fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back