X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Y 2 Jake

Slightly Autistic
Praise be, glory and hallelujah! The long-mooted and long-awaited (at least by us) Wolverine movie finally has a start date for shooting - this November - and a director - Tsotsi's Gavin Hood. With star Hugh Jackman and writer David Benioff already onboard, it looks like ol' Adamantium Claws' spin-off movie is a reality after all.

The story is set to be an origins tale, about How Logan Got Unbreakable Metal Called Adamantium Welded To His Skeleton, drawing on recent Weapon X graphic novels and some of the Frank Miller touches from Wolvie's own spin-off comic as well - although according to rumour, there's a 'Nam flashback but none of the Japanese stuff.

Reading between the lines, characters we might reasonably expect to see returning are Brian Cox' General Stryker (possibly played by a younger actor to allow for the difference in age) and Tyler Mane's Sabertooth. Comic fans may also feel comfortable in guessing that names like Silverfox and John Wraith are also likely to come into play - but we couldn't possibly comment.

The film is set to start in November for a 2008 release, which could mean we see Wolverine as early as this time next year (if they go at an X-Men: The Last Stand shooting and post-production pace, at least). Which is good news for comic fans, good news for vest manufacturers and very good news for makes of superhold hairspray. Roll on next year!

I was never a big Wolverine fan growing up but the movies opened a door to him for me. My cousins were big fans of his comics so I've read some of them. But I can't say I'm really excited about this movie. I frankly don't really care.

And I hope I read that wrong but if Frank Miller is going to be anywhere near this film I'm going to be pissed.

I couldn't care either. I'm a Batman only comic fan. Frank Millers great though. Fuck Wolverine I want a Bludhaven film. Gambit is the only X-Men character I'm intrested in.

Gambit and Cyclops were my two favorite X-men. And they never did Gamnit and I doubt they will, and the totally downplayed Cyclops throughout the films, which sucks.

Frank Miller's so incredibly overrated it's ridiculous. Other than the unique way they were filmed and drawn, Sin City was possibly one of the worst movies of all time. And now they're going on star power in order to keep the series afloat. It's kind of sad really.

Believe it or not I haven't seen 300 yet and I'm sure I'll like it cause it's about Greeks, but anyway I'll save judgment until I see it.

I stand my ground on Sin City though. one of the worst movies ever.

I liked Sin City. But when you read all the books and watch the film you realise that all the storys are the same. A lot of it is purley style. But I still find them entertaining. I missed most of 300 I believe I was hungover.

I never saw 300, but I'd agree with Jake on this one, Sin City was a great flick. I've never seen any modern film (aside from The Good German) come so close to old-school exploition film-noir. Great, great stuff for me. Anything remotely involving Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez is going to be amazing anyways. Why do you think it's overrated Prax, I mean it's not supposed to be some five star classic, it's supposed to be a trashy and fun popcorn movie and it suceeded amazingly well at that.

I never saw 300, but I'd agree with Jake on this one, Sin City was a great flick. I've never seen any modern film (aside from The Good German) come so close to old-school exploition film-noir. Great, great stuff for me. Anything remotely involving Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez is going to be amazing anyways. Why do you think it's overrated Prax, I mean it's not supposed to be some five star classic, it's supposed to be a trashy and fun popcorn movie and it suceeded amazingly well at that.

I disagree, it wasn't meant to be a trashy popcorn flick, when it came out everyone was praising it as being cinematic genius, when it reality all it was was a stylishly filmed pile of crap. The story was horrendous, the characters were made out of cardboard, even if it was a trash film, which it wasn't, at least not on purpose. They spent loads of money on it and hired every actor imaginable in order to cover up its obvious flaws as a film and then marketed it like it was incredible, and people bought it cause it was filmed funny.

This thread has a much needed bump right here.

So right now, the story seems to be the Origin story of Wolverine and his weapon X roots. The films cast is shaping up to be pretty bad ass. As far as comic book characters go, Wolverine and Batman are the two with the most depth to them to make absolutely amazing movies with.

The Weapon X program has so many fascinating characters to go along with it, that this movie could be one of the best comic book movies.

So confirmed so far are
Wolverine: Hugh Jackman
William Striker: Liev Schreiber

Rumored
Sabretooth(Confirmed Character): Gerard Butler (The dude from 300).
Deadpool (Ryan Reynolds)
Silverfox (Natalie Portman)
Plus Gambit has been rumored to be in this movie as well.

I can definitely see this movie being just packed with tons of stuff. Gambit works because his origin story is surrounded by Sabretooth and Mr. Sinister, so that's not just throwing a character in there. Reynolds in my mind would play Deadpool perfectly. I'm really looking forward to this movie if this stuff comes true.

This thread has a much needed bump right here.

So right now, the story seems to be the Origin story of Wolverine and his weapon X roots. The films cast is shaping up to be pretty bad ass. As far as comic book characters go, Wolverine and Batman are the two with the most depth to them to make absolutely amazing movies with.

The Weapon X program has so many fascinating characters to go along with it, that this movie could be one of the best comic book movies.

So confirmed so far are
Wolverine: Hugh Jackman
William Striker: Liev Schreiber

Rumored
Sabretooth(Confirmed Character): Gerard Butler (The dude from 300).
Deadpool (Ryan Reynolds)
Silverfox (Natalie Portman)
Plus Gambit has been rumored to be in this movie as well.

I can definitely see this movie being just packed with tons of stuff. Gambit works because his origin story is surrounded by Sabretooth and Mr. Sinister, so that's not just throwing a character in there. Reynolds in my mind would play Deadpool perfectly. I'm really looking forward to this movie if this stuff comes true.

Looks like htis is developing into a great movie something as a wolverine fan i cant wait to see, he has a tattered past and would love to see how this gets adapted into the big screen and reynolds as deadpool man that would be perfect!

Deadpool Would be awesome thouh I would rather see a purely Deadpool movie by itself just as a service just to comic book fans. but how can they have Gambit it doesn't fit the Wolverine Timeline since he is worked out to be born in the late 1800s. Yeah the late 1800s making him one of the oldest Mutants in the Marvel Universe. But Ryan Reynolds is also rumoured to be playing The Flash in the Justice League Movie, combined with the fact that he has already played a character that is in the main Marvel Universe in Hannibal King.

Well apparently the Reynolds/Flash talks are off. I thought he would do okay in that roll, but from what I've read that's all fallen through. They are planning on a Deadpool movie, and I guess what better way to do it then to use Marvel's (arguably) 2nd most popular character as a launching pad.

As far as Gambit, I'm not sure how they would do that, unless they aren't planning on making any more X-Men movies, and this would be the only way to do it. They've already fucked up the regular X-Men story beyond repair. Gambit's whole origin story is surrounded with Mr. Sinister, and Sabretooth. I would rather he not be in the movie.

I think a movie surrounding Weapon X, Sabretooth, Silver Fox, Deadpool, Maverick and Striker is sufficient enough. The obvious conflict will be between Creed and Logan with Striker probably favoring Creed. Probably a love triangle between Creed, Logan and Fox, with Deadpool as comedic relief and Maverick as the heavy weapons guy. I'm guessing If you have this, then Omega Red has to be in this movie, seeing how Red was the main objective of Weapon X's program.

The kid they supposedly casted as the young Logan looks pretty spot on. The origin story should be interesting as well. I'm really looking forward to this.. It's just a shame that this movie seems to be getting more attention from the studio then the actual X-Movies did.

The X Movies were always going to be shit. Too much to use to start a story without convoluting everything and not too stupidly stripped back so as to not be good. I liked the idea of the first movie of following Rogue into the X-Men but I would have played up the fact that she is the daughter of Mistique and Brother of Nightcrawler. It could have been great but They fucked up big time on the first movie. But Deadpool is not really that important in the Wolverine Story, Wolverine is Big in the Deadpool Story however. I suppose they can't have The World War 2 stuff as that would include Captain America and they are bringing out that movie next year or the year after. Don't worry about some of this stuff it is just a rambling of a Marvel Comic Book Fan.

i'm semi excited about the wolverine movie but not getting my hopes up, all three xmen movies have disappointed me in every respect the third one the worst, just the way storm was all accusing and mean just not in her charachter at all, and the exclusion of gambit and jubilee. i'll definately go see it but hopefully it doesn't suck

I've heard that they were talking to someone else for the flash now but i cant find the info but anyhow

25639.jpg

First picture from the Wolverine movie. I've read that Gerrard Butler is going to be Sabretooth. I don't know why. Tyler Maine did a perfectly acceptable job in the first. They don't need a name actor to fill the role. Wolverine alone should sell the movie. I'm still curious though as to weather they'll call it just Wolverine or X-Men Oragins: Wolverine.

I love Deadpool and his sense of humour. He was also in the Weapon X project, so it'd be awesome if he was in the movie or at least referred to. A stand alone Deadpool movie would have me anticipating with clasped hands and especially if Slayback was also in it.

As for Wolverine, I've always been a fan of him and the X-Men, although a lot more when I was younger. These days, I'm into 80% of Alan Moore's works such as The Swamp Thing, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Watchmen, etc. And of course, Brian Azzarello's 100 Bullets.

Anyway, the movie sounds like a good idea, but excluding the Japanese ties is 50/50 for me. I liked Wolverine's battles with Silver Samurai and Yuriko (Lady Deathstrike). But, I understand how it wouldn't make sense to put Yuriko in this movie, because they didn't even know each other in X2 and any past relationship hints were avoided.

Superherohype is reporting that Taylor Kitsch (TV's Friday Night Lights) has been cast as Gambit in the forthcoming Wolverine movie, confirming months of rumours that the character will make an appearance.

Kitsch has apparently signed a three picture deal, which would suggest that Gambit, a mutant with the power to make objects explosive by charging them with kinetic energy, will play a major role, but could mean that Fox is merely hedging its bets.

It's been a long wait to see Gambit in a X-Men movie, who's been rumoured since the first film was announced. We're a little disappointed that Lost's Josh Holloway won't be playing the role, because he would have been perfect casting, but we can't wait to see him and his explosive playing cards on screen.

In other Wolverine news, Aintitcool is repeating the long circulating rumour that Ryan Reynolds will cameo in the movie as Deadpool, a lesser know smart-ass mercenary character. As we said, the story's been doing the rounds for a while, but AICN says they have it confirmed. This would be fantastic casting.

Gambit will be in this movie. Great in a way. But does a Wolverine film really need him? He's my personal favorite character in the X-Men universe. But if they're doing X-Men: Oragin films he'd be better off having his own film, unless they're going to do one after they've introduced him. At least Gambit wasn't sullied by The Last Stand.

The timing makes no sense of it, unless the story is told in some sort of flash back mode, or Fox has completely shut the door on making anymore X-Team movies. By the time the first X-Men movie takes place, Gambit would probably be an old man if they do it this way. Oh well. I really don't see the point in putting Gambit in this movie unless it's just to say "here he is".

I'm questioning the point of this movie at all. Wasn't the second one pretty much meant to look into the past of Wolverine? I don't see why I should shell out money again just to see them answer some questions they couldn't be bothered to first time round. He was also a main character in the first movie, and the main character in the second and third - wasn't it meant to be Cyclops but he got roped into the even worse shitheap that was Superman Returns? Seriously though, this is pointless. It's like making a fucking Frodo spin-off of Lord of the Rings.

Well the Wolverine story is pretty damn good, if it is done right. I too was frustrated with the X-Men movies, and even on some other boards when this movie was first announced I was like, "Um ya, they already made 3 Wolverine movies". I'm an avid old time X-Men nerd. I probably have close to 500 x-comics. They are all bagged, boarded and sealed.

Anyways, the Wolverine backstory is damn good, but I hope the director isn't blood first, story second. If Wolverine is done right, it could be just as good as the Batman movies if not better.

I have to say I'm pretty excited about this movie. Reynolds will be awesome as Deadpool, and since he's a part of Weapon X, hopefully he'll have a nice serving of screen time. Liev Schrieber (sp?) is playing Sabertooth, and he definately looks the part. Hopefully he does the role justice.

And about Gambit...I hate to say this, but since they have messed with the mythos before, they could make Gambit a part of Weapon X. I know, it's a stupid idea, but then again this is Fox. They did put Rattner in charge of X3, so anything is possible when it comes to this film.

God Damn it. I know it's early, but after getting a definitive film in the Dark Knight about a great character, arguably the second best character with the best back story is going to get screwed. Wolverine has such a great backstory, but it slowly looks like it's becoming X4 with a bunch of mutants that have no business being in this movie.

First leaked pictures of characters.
gambit.jpg

Time will tell about this. I think he has the look down, but is Gambit necessary at all. Sure there is a super intriguing backstory between Creed and LeBeau, but I don't see the point of rushing him into a movie without a proper story. Gambit being a part of the Weapon X program is so laughable it's ridiculous.

deadpool.jpg

I was excited for Reynolds being cast as Deadpool. i think his humor and his delivery are top notch for the smart asshole. However, the costume is atrocious and it looks to be they're keeping his face unmasked to make another spinoff with him as the star. Deadpool is supposed to be a scarred up bad ass mother fucker, I don't see that at all.

emma_frost.jpg

Seriously, Emma Frost? What the fuck is the point. Sure the diamond armor thing is going to be cool, but nothing any different then what we got with Colossus in the X-Films. Emma Frost has absolutely zero to do with Wolverine and his back story, but yet, here she is. The White Queen is included and Silver Fox gets the ax, not looking good.

blob.jpg

The Blob, Frank Fucking Dukes. While the appearance isn't so bad, again, a completely worthless character that has nothing to do with the Wolverine backstory.

So let me get this straight, at this point in a Wolverine Origin story, (quick background on Wolverine, he's Canadian), we have Gambit (from New Orleans), Emma Frost (a social elitist from New York City) and the Blow (A circus side show act), as a part of Canada's secret Weapon X Program. The only one they got right in it was Deadpool, but it looks like they butchered that character as well. So characters like Maverick and Silver Fox get the ax so Fox can market Gambit and the White Queen. Hell there is even talk of a Scott Summers cameo in this movie. Just call this movie what it is, X-Men 4, the Early Years.

Fox has me so pissed off. They shit on and destroyed any chance of the X-Men movies being any good, and now the same thing is happening to the Wolverine films. Don't get me wrong, the main story is going to be about Creed, Logan and Striker, and with Schreiber and Jackman carrying the story, that should be at least worth watching, but this movie has cluster fuck written all over it.

It pisses me off that we can get such a great film out of the Dark Knight because it stays true to the source, but yet over at Fox we have a bunch of studio big wigs that think they know what the fans want more then the fans do. They cram a bunch of crap into a movie, and spit out something that resembles Wolverine, and expect people to lap it up. My expectations for this movie have dropped significantly.

Doesn't make any difference Shocky. You know which was the most successful X-Men film? Twas the third. Yeah the shit one with too many characters and very little in the way of plot. The one that had a ready made story which they just threw to the side. So I guess it's more of the same. I wasn't vey optimistic to begin with. Jackman & Reynolds are known to do any old shit.

Well hopefully that formula of movie making comes back to bite them in the ass. X3 benefited from having X2 to work with. X2 was a phenomenal movie, and with that ending leading into X3, most people got caught hook line and sinker. Add in the fact of the impressive marketing campaign of X3, and that big weekend happens. But outside of that big weekend, that movie tanked. Word of mouth spread it was shit.

Now Wolverine doesn't have the luxury of X2 being it's predecessor. It has to gain some fans back from the crapfest Ratner Tragedy known as X3. Me thinks that this movie is going to get the Batman and Robin treatment. Marvel is betting on this movie and that first weekend in May to bring in some cash. I'm guessing it will have a big opening weekend, but I'm also thinking it's not going to be X3 record breaking big. People are beginning to show, they're not going to pay for crap, (I Know Hancock made money though). I'm hoping for this thing to be good though, there's still a lot of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back