WWE's Made a Huge Mistake With Their Portrayal of Johnny Ace

Coco

Mid-Card Championship Winner
A couple weeks ago, hated heel general manager Johnny Ace touted the alleged ratings success of Raw as one of the primary reasons he shouldn't be dismissed by Triple H. The kayfabe WWE board of directors seem to agree with Big Johnny's claims, as they have sided with him over Triple H. Now while the damage isn't done yet, having the interim Raw GM continue to flaunt his ratings success could cause the company serious harm. It's not hard to imagine a scenario where fans start tuning out in hopes that it will get the Raw GM fired. I'm sure we're maybe a month at most away from a mass boycott of the product. Does the WWE not realize what they're doing here? Or is the WWE trying to turn people off to Raw in order to give TNA a boost? If viewers flee Raw and get their weekly wrestling fix from a different star-studded A-show, could it be the shot in the arm that TNA needs to compete with the WWE? Has the WWE finally realized that competition is just what the industry needs? Are they actively sabotaging themselves to bring about this competition? Or is this Johnny Ace misstep simply more run-of-the-mill WWE stupidity?

I see how you've arrived at the conclusions, but I really doubt that anything along those lines is going to happen. Ostensibly, this option has been available to viewers of wrestling forever - i.e., the ability to tune out of the program in protest of the things they don't like, or the lack of things that they do like. While it has happened before, it's never happened - to a great extent, anyway - because of a heel doing traditional heel things. Which is to say, while viewers did go on a mass exodus during the fall of the Attitude Era because they were no longer getting their fix, viewers never stopped tuning out of the program in droves because of a long term heel champion or Eric Bischoff reigning as GM, or what have you. Or, perhaps, if they did, they did so because it was not entertaining, not because they disliked seeing a heel. Which brings me to the central point, which is that fans don't stop watching wrestling because they hate a particular heel - just the opposite, in fact. The entire existence of a heel is predicated on being somebody that people do want to watch - only, they want to watch him lose.

My suspicion is that Johnny Ace is a very effective heel and that people will be happy to see him lose and get fired off of Raw as the conclusion to this angle. The important thing is that they will be happy to see him lose. Johnny may be touting his ratings success, but I sincerely doubt that this will cause people to stop watching the show in protest - this is an action that is only taken by the fans in protest of poor entertainment, not an effective heel. As I said before, fans have always had the ability to tune out to end the reign of a heel, and Johny isn't the first one to make it explicit. Miz did the same thing, and nobody tuned out in droves. The historical record and the general actions of wrestling fans doesn't support the hypothesis that people will flee from Monday Night Raw to get Johnny fired - rather, just the opposite. It suggests that people will stay and watch for the day that he does get fired, and, as the recent ratings trend suggest, even increase ratings along the way.

U JUST sound stupid by saying that...how dumb do a person have to be to think people will stop watching A PROGRAM THAT'S Pre-DETERMINED and scripted in hopes of getting a STORY LINE Raw GM fired...man i think you trolls get dumber in dumber just to get people who is fed up with your stupidity like me to post on your dumb post!!

With atrocious grammer like yours I would suggest you refrained from attacking other posters intelligence when yours is so obviously lacking!

As for Johnny Ace I can't really see a mass exodous of viewers just to try and remove him from his job. I actually am warming to his character recently and think he's definitely better now than when he was first brought to TV.

Plus the WWE aren't going to hit there own profit margin by deliberately losing ratings when they have shareholders to keep happy.

i hghly doubt the wwe would ever willingly sabotage their product for any reason. this doesnt even make sense. viewers will not protest anything via johnny aces storylines. there have been countless better reasons to stop watching long before now and yet the viewers remain.

I can ony assume this post is sarcasm. You really think people are going to boycott the show so the ratings will drop and Johnny Ace will be fired? What the hell is wrong with you?

If people were going to stop watching Raw because they didn't want to see Johnny Ace, THEY WOULD DO IT! Mentioning the ratings isn't going to make people change the channel when they otherwise wouldn't.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

The thing is, Jonny Ace is so bad, he is good. The WWE wants you to hate the guy so much that when someone, probably Punk, finally does get his hands on Ace the viewship will actually rise. Known as the Stone Cold effect. As far as your "Boycottt Raw" deal, good luck with that

The WWE wants you to hate the guy so much that when someone, probably Punk, finally does get his hands on Ace the viewship will actually rise.

ouN6t.jpg

Recent WWE has a history of overcooking angles like this. From The Nexus to Michael Cole to the anonymous GM, it teases and teases and teases but never quite comes through.

With The Nexus, every pay-per-view was a must-win, yet they lost, and yet that wasn't a catharsis because they then turned up on Monday as if nothing had happened. Cena said he was going to take them apart one by one, did, and then they came back the next week. Even when Nexus got beheaded, it strapped CM Punk onto the bloody stump that was its neck and stumbled about for a few months more.

They did Michael Cole quite well, it got to boiling point, they beat and humiliated him at WrestleMania and... OH, REVERSED DECISION! COLE WINS! Two pay-per-views later, Lawler got his ultimate victory. "Oh, sorry Jerry. I was out of my mind - you have my sincerest apologies. Now how about that cunt Daniel Bryan, huh? Hey Booker, suck my dick!" Yeah, what a resolution.

And the anonymous GM-- well, come on.

I trust WWE to make Laurinaitis intolerable, to make their programming absolute torturous. I don't trust them to give me a satisfying pay-off.

I think you're looking too much into things. WWE has gone out of their way on the rivalries these past couple of weeks and I think even the youngest and markiest of the fans know that things arent interesting because of John, but because of the superstars they take time out of their day to watch. No one is going to give up on Kane vs Cena or Taker vs Triple H because Johnny Ace is doing what every heel does and brags about how the people are tuning in to see him. Furthermore Johny has enough enemies in CM Punk and Triple H to remind the people that Johnny is playing the role of a conman asskisser and shouldnt be credited for RAW's ratings.

The whole Gm firing storyline was a way for WWE to bring back Triple H. For them get viewers increased by letting people know of him appearing on Raw without too much suspicion of Undertakers return the same night. I don't see it as sabotage there own show or stupidity. If they announced Triple H would be at Raw next week for no reason everyone would have expected Taker too.

This is probably to fill in the Game's place as GM until after Mania. Then I see Johnny getting canned and the game taking over again or maybe Stephanie.

my good friend you have been overthinking. i mean like way over thinking. you honestly balieve that in one month people will boycott raw because of johnny ace??? in the words of the miz "really? reeally!? reeeally!?!?" my good man you must remember that the wwe is fake the storylines are just for entertainment purposes. the only guy on raw that i would ever tune out because of is michael cole. johnny ace is a heel, and i dont care for him, but he isn't going to make people tune out. please dont take what im saying personally, what im trying to say is that your post is kinda crazy man. you gotta think a lil less here.

I don't know about this giving TNA boost thing you're talking about but I do see what you're saying. However, like one of the above posters said about it being MUCH better reasons to stop watching, I don't see this being a ratings loser at all. As long as they don't drag this damn thing all the way to hell, the ratings will stay where they're at. And I mean, in my opinion, Ace is pretty fuckin' entertaining so I'll keep watching. That's certainly not speaking for others though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back