WWE's excellent video production team should edit their shows

NegativeFeedback

Mid-Card Championship Winner
No matter if a storyline is good or bad, or if the past month of Raw was entertaining or mind-numbingly boring, there is ONE thing that has always been consistent: The Video Packages.

WWE's editing team is amazing. In his retirement promo, Shawn made a shoutout to the guy who makes him look better than what he really is. While the modesty is sincere, Shawn is obviously one of the few who actually put on GREAT performances (and great storylines) that lent themselves to even GREATER video packages.

[YOUTUBE]cMGD8QHRBbQ[/YOUTUBE]

So why not use these guys to update the presentation of the actual show?

I know we'll all be split on whether or not WWE should start adding overlays, background score, and other convenient editing tricks to their shows, but I would like to have a good debate on it. Frankly, a lot of TV shows would suck if they didn't have their background music and visual effects.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. You're about to revisit the best promo of Kane's career:
[YOUTUBE]BAAlSLnsXBw[/YOUTUBE]

Would that promo have had the same effect without editing making Kane's laughter more menacing? The overlay shots of Undertaker and Kane's past history together while Kane was speaking? The eerie music that gave the whole setting a diabolical atmosphere? Without drowning out the fans who were probably chanting WHAT or YOU SUCK the whole time???

I think WWE should start reevaluating the best use of their video editing team. I love it when they start off an episode with a video package highlighting everything that has happened. They are always fantastic and make average storylines into really entertaining stuff. But I'd like it even more if they use that talent to upgrade a segment's quality on the actual presentation of the show.

Kane's promo shouldn't have been a one-off thing. I would have liked to see much more.

High level production is the only thing keeping the company relevant. They don't spend $800,000 on each show for nothing. I'm pretty sure they have all the bases covered in terms of maximizing the effect of their production values on the product already.

I don't think I understand. Raw and SD are in front of live audiences. How much of the live experience do you want to take away from them? I guess they could do more post production work on SD but is it worth the cost? The Titan Tron is nice but I think most people would rather sit home than pay the gate to watch a bigger TV. Plus Raw and PPVs are live, how do you add all that production to a live show.

Again, I'm really confused. You do realize part of the reason taped vignettes feel special is because WWE doesn't do them for just any angle? Plus all that work and music licensing costs money. How much of the realism would be lost for example if the production team had Kane's laughter reverberate on what is supposed to be a live show? The turnbuckle fireballs and blacked out lights are enough.

I think you may want to aim a little lower with your expectations. Try to make your expectations something more specific, attainable, and realistic. Here's an idea I've been kicking around:

When doing recaps from prior weeks and shows, instead of showing live action that many may have already seen before, turn that action to different forms of animation. Each week a different type from totally simplistic to crazy Japanese looking stuff. I would love a recap with stop action claymation or a South Park feel.

Just a simple idea that now that I think more about it may not be so realistic. But to me it would be fun and give me a reason to tune in to Raw from the start.

I don't think I understand. Raw and SD are in front of live audiences. How much of the live experience do you want to take away from them? I guess they could do more post production work on SD but is it worth the cost? The Titan Tron is nice but I think most people would rather sit home than pay the gate to watch a bigger TV. Plus Raw and PPVs are live, how do you add all that production to a live show.

Again, I'm really confused. You do realize part of the reason taped vignettes feel special is because WWE doesn't do them for just any angle? Plus all that work and music licensing costs money. How much of the realism would be lost for example if the production team had Kane's laughter reverberate on what is supposed to be a live show? The turnbuckle fireballs and blacked out lights are enough.

I think you may want to aim a little lower with your expectations. Try to make your expectations something more specific, attainable, and realistic. Here's an idea I've been kicking around:

When doing recaps from prior weeks and shows, instead of showing live action that many may have already seen before, turn that action to different forms of animation. Each week a different type from totally simplistic to crazy Japanese looking stuff. I would love a recap with stop action claymation or a South Park feel.

Just a simple idea that now that I think more about it may not be so realistic. But to me it would be fun and give me a reason to tune in to Raw from the start.

I'm specifically saying they should do what they already did with Kane. It doesn't take away from the fans' live experience. They will still have it. But what is presented on TV will be much more engaging do to the editing, and the overlay footage which in my opinion, REALLY added to Kane's promo. That's one of the best promos of all time.

Now about your animation idea... Dafuq?

I had a pretty awesome dream once, I guess in 2010, when there were guest hosts of RAW, that David Lynch was guest director of RAW. And there was this awesome moment where someone was getting a pin--it went into slow motion, and the camera, positioned above the wrestlers in a bird's-eye view, was slowly zooming out and spinning in a spiral motion. It had a languid, dizzying effect that mirrored the match's disappointing outcome, because I think the bad guy was winning the match.

I'd love if David Lynch directed RAW. Or Werner Herzog. Both have unique perspectives on how bits and pieces of Americana can represent terrifying realities of human nature. That's wrestling in a nutshell to me. I don't know how live-action video editing/special effects would work necessarily, but creative live direction could certainly work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back