"WWE wishes (wrestler) the best in his future endeavors" - downright callous?

What do you think of "WWE wishes (wrestler) the best in his future endeavors"?

• I see it as a sincere expression of goodwill.

• It comes off as some empty company line.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Creepy Old Man

Championship Contender
Expect to see this on WWE.com today or tomorrow, regarding The Great Khali and Brad Maddox.

It was a glib, empty company line to start with, but when they made it part of storylines with John Laurinaitis in 2011/12, any meaning it might have had was lost. Yet still, people's lives are being dramatically altered by budget cuts, and WWE continues to place this ghastly line in statements about employee releases. It must feel like they've gotten rid of you, turned your world upside down, and are laughing in your face about it. Bret Hart likened himself to a "circus animal"; Kurt Angle saw himself as "just some piece of meat". I guess they were right.

Anyone else have a real problem with this line?

I honestly don't think we'll know for sure. No one except the person who writes it or makes the cut knows whether it's sincere or not. I mean, mostly those who WWE legitimately feels they have nothing storyline-wise for are the ones who get cut. Either that or they pissed the wrong guy off or weren't living up to expectations. My only other thought is they say they've "come to terms" with so-and-so's release, possibly meaning that superstar legitimately felt at the time they didn't want to wrestle anymore, whatever the circumstances may have been. Also, if you believe certain superstars, apparently there were some guys in the back who just chilled out, hoping they wouldn't get called to go out and have a match just so they could collect their pay for showing up and leave. Think about it, would you want to pay someone money for doing nothing, when their job is to try and make you money?

Callous? What do you want them to do, throw out the red carpet and have a parade for all the guys that they are forced to let go? Just fire somebody without even offering any words of good will? I don't really see what the problem is here, it's just something that is said as a good-will gesture by WWE.

How can, "WWE wishes the Great Khali the best in his future endeavors" be seen as WWE laughing in his face about his firing? I just don't get what you're trying to say.

Callous? What do you want them to do, throw out the red carpet and have a parade for all the guys that they are forced to let go? Just fire somebody without even offering any words of good will? I don't really see what the problem is here, it's just something that is said as a good-will gesture by WWE.

How can, "WWE wishes the Great Khali the best in his future endeavors" be seen as WWE laughing in his face about his firing? I just don't get what you're trying to say.

Again, the line was placed in an angle. This supposed goodwill gesture was just an empty nothing said by WWE brass to fired employees. T-shirts were even made of it, basically monetizing shattered lives.

I'm suggesting that WWE reword their statement on released workers, after making it clear that the line is completely hollow.

I can't say if the WWE is like that towards the wrestlers beside of something they post on their website...But it is a very empty line.

I can see it being a run on joke with the higher ups of the company. I don't have a problem with this line though, because those guys got paid pretty good man to wrestle and travel.

I wouldn't say it's in any way callous, sure it definitely always comes across a tad cold but it's definitely better than nothing.

It serves it's purpose well enough. True it would be nice for them to list their accomplishments and the amount of time spent with the company, but I don't want anyone at any time reminding me that The Great Khali held a World Championship...

How else should they put it? Releasing people is supposed to be emotionless. It sucks, sure, but I couldn't think of a way to do it better.

The Great Khali needed to go and I don't even really hate the guy. He just looks like his body has taken more damage than it can handle. Whenever I see him in the ring, I don't think about how he sucks as much as I feel concerned for him. Fans don't seem to care anymore and even his current jobbing status has lost its value.

I'm sorry but not getting it either. Wishing them good luck or the best with their future endeavors pretty much means the same thing.

Would you just rather they say something like "We let so and so go because they were shit. Oh and by the way, have fun finding another company to take your sorry ass on." No I think at least they are making an effort. It is a hollow line, well yes. Anything a company says to you after they fire you would be hollow, well unless they are offering you a job again.

As for Kurt Angle and Bret Hart my response to that is pffffttttt. Bret Hart still does work for the WWE, and Kurt Angle wants to come back. So I guess it wasn't all bad.

Getting a job with the WWE doesn't guarantee you a job for life. Some might think so, but it's not the case. Wrestler's are let go at times because they want too be, some have gone by their sell by date and others are just well crap. The WWE is in business to make money, not pay people to sit there and do nothing.

If you worked in the corporate world, you would realize that any time there's a public release of an employee, any time there's a terminated contract, any time that two entities stop their mutual work, some variation of this statement is made. It's just part of the corporate climate.

I don't really see it as callous. I see it more as merely just a societal norm of putting out a statement of goodwill. Is it empty? There's no way to know for sure. Personally, in the case of Khali & Maddox, I equate it to wishing someone the best of luck if they're a total stranger and you have no real personal connection to them. It's a social nicety, though one that I think is meant in a positive way. It also reminds me of all the various quotes and signatures that we all got in your high school yearbooks. You know, stuff like "don't ever change" or "we'll always be friends" or the ever popular "have a great summer." After all, the vast majority of signatures most of us collect or collected in our yearbooks were from people we had little or nothing to do with other than the fact they attended the same school with us and had some classes with us.

At the same time, what do you want WWE to do? Throw some big party for them, televise is on Raw and give 'em a big bouquet of roses and candy as they walk down the ramp on a red carpet surrounded by every other wrestler on the roster? If you want something callous, they could always say "Thanks for working for us, now get your shit and get the fuck out!!!"

Kurt Angle saw himself as "just some piece of meat".

Despite all WWE did to make Kurt a star and despite all the resources they used to boost his standing, when things were no longer being done the way he wanted them done, he left, as if the company were a "piece of meat." Not to mention us.....the fans....whom he was willing to leave behind even though many of us (also "pieces of meat") wanted him to stay.

This isn't meant as an indictment of Kurt Angle; it's just a way of showing that things go both ways. When a performer separates from the company, there needs to be a way of announcing it, a way of acknowledging that the person doesn't work here anymore. The "future endeavor" line is as good as any, I suppose. No reason to get all sappy about it.

How many companies publically thank/acknowledge an employee when they leave? Very few. While this does only seem to apply to onscreen talent, there is at least an acknowledgement. While it may seem hollow to some, you do still get some who DON'T get the FE release on the website...who get something sharper or nothing... that means you've screwed up... to me the FE is a "the door is open, we may see you down the road"... nothing more nothing less.

Callous is too strong a word. Empty is more accurate.

It's a pointless, meaningless gesture and the fact that it became a part of a storyline underscores that point.

Not callous but certainly disingenuous. It is hard to believe Vince is really concerned with each wrestler's future. It is even more absurd to believe that Vince believes that wishing for things is anything more than a waste of time for your brain. But such is the corporate world. Not everyone is going to get the Ric Flair send off.

How many companies publically thank/acknowledge an employee when they leave? Very few. While this does only seem to apply to onscreen talent, there is at least an acknowledgement. While it may seem hollow to some, you do still get some who DON'T get the FE release on the website...who get something sharper or nothing... that means you've screwed up... to me the FE is a "the door is open, we may see you down the road"... nothing more nothing less.
I can't think of a public company, especially in an entertainment or sporting industry, that doesn't release announcements indicating that they wish the best for the person that they just parted ways with.

Teams do it in sports, studios do it with actors, big companies like Google and Facebook do it with their employees. Sure, McDonald's doesn't, but if you've ever worked in a large corporation, there's always constant announcements made regarding the company wishing the person well in their future endeavors.

Callous is too strong a word. Empty is more accurate.

It's a pointless, meaningless gesture and the fact that it became a part of a storyline underscores that point.

Everything in wrestling is kayfabe, and therefore open to becoming a work. Nothing is sacred in wrestling, because true life is often the most entertaining. The "kiss my ass" club was the same thing. There were always rumors about how the guys that kissed Vince's ass got ahead in the company, so it became storyline.

IF they are going through a 4th quarter cleaning I see these being released

Heath Slater (He just can't be taken serious anymore)
Justin Gabriel (I hope not)
Zack Ryder
Rosa Mendes (I know she was on Total Divas)
Curtis Axel (I want to say no, but he did just loose to Sin Cara on Superstars)
David Otunga (unless he is actually going to be one of WWE's lawyers)
Fandango (Again I hope not but I can see it happening)
CJ Parker (I like the gimmick but he never wins)
Layla (I think she is planning to retire soon anyways)
Rtruth (I like RTruth but I don't see anything happening with him)
Marcus Louis (Okay he's bald now, but still not interesting)
Sawyer Fulton

I dont' see them releasing Darren Young or Tyson Kidd

Everything in wrestling is kayfabe, and therefore open to becoming a work. Nothing is sacred in wrestling, because true life is often the most entertaining. The "kiss my ass" club was the same thing. There were always rumors about how the guys that kissed Vince's ass got ahead in the company, so it became storyline.

That doesn't discount it as a pointless and meaningless gesture. It just means they know it's a pointless and meaningless gesture.

I feel like Truth won't go for a few reasons actually.

1. He could easily be put into the Xavier Woods faction: he's black, crazy, been held down for years, etc
2. He isn't quite jobber status yet. Hear me out on this one though, who ended Bo Dallas' streak? Truth did. The undefeated Adam Rose got beat by Kane and then by R Truth. So it's almost like he's the highest up jobber, which would mean they might have a plan or two left for him. In my eyes that puts Truth in Kofi territory where he might not be main event material or even midcard anymore, but he'll always have a little push...which is better than nothing
3. Isn't he from TNA? I'd imagine they'd wanna hold onto him so he can't go back

IF they are going through a 4th quarter cleaning I see these being released

Heath Slater (He just can't be taken serious anymore)
Justin Gabriel (I hope not)
Zack Ryder
Rosa Mendes (I know she was on Total Divas)
Curtis Axel (I want to say no, but he did just loose to Sin Cara on Superstars)
David Otunga (unless he is actually going to be one of WWE's lawyers)
Fandango (Again I hope not but I can see it happening)
CJ Parker (I like the gimmick but he never wins)
Layla (I think she is planning to retire soon anyways)
Marcus Louis (Okay he's bald now, but still not interesting)
Sawyer Fulton

I dont' see them releasing Darren Young or Tyson Kidd

Young and Kidd won't get released anytime soon. Kidd is one of the NXT "Dorm Parents" with Natalya. Darren Young is a role model to the LGBT community, and Titan Towers does NOT want to piss that community off.

Zack Ryder is close to Cena and only 29. Unless he asks for his release, he is going nowhere. If he does get the gate, I could see him in Japan or Mexico where he'll be appreciated.

Curtis Axel is as good as gone. Just turned 35, and he is really on the downhill slope of his career.

David Otunga works as one of the WWE lawyers, and has ties to the entertainment industry. He is going nowhere.

Fandango's age is going to be an issue. He'll be 34 in July, and he was in developmental for 2/3 of his WWE career. He was a flash in the pan, and he would be better off in the Indies, Europe of Japan. Buh-bye.

Gabriel isn't going anywhere....yet. But age will be an issue. He'll be 34 in March, and there is really no growth left for him. He has been somewhat of a mentor in NXT, which would save him.

Slater is not going anywhere. He is a good comedy jobber, and is one of the main players on the JBL and Cole shoe.

I see the three NXT people getting the gate. Rosa Mendes was just put on Total Divas. She is going nowhere. Layla may just walk away.

R-Truth is an interesting one. He'll be 43, really not a true jobber, but good at getting people over. A good gatekeeper for the rookies. I do not see him getting cut. I DO eventually see him as a trainer in NXT.

As for the "Future Endeavors": It is cold, but necessary. It has to be that way to protect WWE from any legal ramifications. It is a general corporate tactic when one is shown the door.

Young and Kidd won't get released anytime soon. Kidd is one of the NXT "Dorm Parents" with Natalya. Darren Young is a role model to the LGBT community, and Titan Towers does NOT want to piss that community off.

Zack Ryder is close to Cena and only 29. Unless he asks for his release, he is going nowhere. If he does get the gate, I could see him in Japan or Mexico where he'll be appreciated.

Curtis Axel is as good as gone. Just turned 35, and he is really on the downhill slope of his career.

David Otunga works as one of the WWE lawyers, and has ties to the entertainment industry. He is going nowhere.

Fandango's age is going to be an issue. He'll be 34 in July, and he was in developmental for 2/3 of his WWE career. He was a flash in the pan, and he would be better off in the Indies, Europe of Japan. Buh-bye.

Gabriel isn't going anywhere....yet. But age will be an issue. He'll be 34 in March, and there is really no growth left for him. He has been somewhat of a mentor in NXT, which would save him.

Slater is not going anywhere. He is a good comedy jobber, and is one of the main players on the JBL and Cole shoe.

I see the three NXT people getting the gate. Rosa Mendes was just put on Total Divas. She is going nowhere. Layla may just walk away.

R-Truth is an interesting one. He'll be 43, really not a true jobber, but good at getting people over. A good gatekeeper for the rookies. I do not see him getting cut. I DO eventually see him as a trainer in NXT.

As for the "Future Endeavors": It is cold, but necessary. It has to be that way to protect WWE from any legal ramifications. It is a general corporate tactic when one is shown the door.

Curtis Axel is beloved by all in the WWE brass, and he's the guy who trains with the part-timers to get them in shape. He'll be a trainer when his in-ring career is over.

Why have your panties in a bind, NFL players get cut all the time, in preseason players are cut every single week, and its no different. So why do we need to feel sorry for a wrestler being cut/fired? It happens. Not to mention all the men and women around the world who are fired or laid off from their jobs all the time, yet were suppose to feel sorry for some wrestler? What do you want WWE to do? Devote an entire show to these guys who are fired because of budget cuts???

I'm suggesting that WWE reword their statement on released workers, after making it clear that the line is completely hollow.

Any way they reword it would be just as hollow, it would just be another fancy way of saying "you're not going to work here anymore" and all the rewording in the world isn't going to change that. Plus the workers really don't care how WWE says it they're much more worried about looking for their next job. So really any effort to change it is a waste of time.

Hey guys remember when Vince used to get in peoples faces on live TV and yell "YYYYYOOOOOOOUUUU'RE FIIIIIIIIIIIIrED!"? In front of million people yelling two of the most humiliating words in the english language in their face?

SO...now today we have this pleasant little thing and it's too hollow for some people? Just put them on Raw and have Triple H fire them on TV! Great TV there, I love watching that kind of thing...

What the hell do you expect them too say...

"The Great Khali has been released from World Wrestling Entertainment, we wish The Great Khali has a horrible life in some Backyard Indy Promotion".

Your looking too far into it dude, I don't think there are any intentions behind the wording, just a copy and paste template for letting us know which wrestlers are no longer working for WWE. Just confirmation from WWE themself instead of the wrestling "dirty sheets" which alot of the time are wrong anyway. Its better to hear it from the horses mouth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back