WWE & TNA Mid-Card

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
It's not all that uncommon for either the WWE or TNA mid-card pictures to be a topic of criticism on these forums. I've defended WWE's, up until recently, as there have been some things going on worth watching. However, when I look at both the mid-card scenes of TNA & WWE, especially the mid-card title pictures, I can't help but think that it hasn't been this crummier in recent years than it is now.

In WWE, it seems that they're on a stop/go pattern when it comes to the mid-card champs. They spent the majority of WrestleMania season burying both the IC & US titles by jobbing them out in most of the matches they wrestled. Last night, Kofi Kingston won the US title for the 3rd time, but its hard to ultimately get excited. Throughout his career, Kofi has been put into a spot where he's basically just carrying a title for a while. His last run as IC champ started off really promising but WWE just quickly slammed on the breaks. Antonio Cesaro worked hard as US champ. At a run of 240 days, he's tied for having the 7th longest run in the title's history, but WWE spent the past 3 months burying him. He just deserves better. WWE has done the same thing with Wade Barrett, only not quite as severely as Cesaro. He lost the title at the WM pre-show, won it back from Miz in a great match last week and then jobs out clean to R-Truth last night in about 3 minutes. If Barrett hadn't spent the last 3 months getting his ass handed to him in 80-90% of his matches since, then last night's loss wouldn't have been anything.

In TNA, there's practically no mid-card title picture to speak of. With the exception of Austin Aries, the X Division Championship is something that, frankly, has become something just to carry around. The X Division itself is now nothing more than a random pairing of three guys into a triple threat match once or twice a month with no story or feud to fuel the match. It was still like that when Aries was champion, but his ability & charisma shined through what was otherwise a very dark, murky spot. Since then, RVD & Kenny King are just the latest two to hold onto it for a while. As for the TV title, I honestly can't recall the last time it was defended. Devon has been champ for 132 days, I think, but he's defended the title maybe once in all that time. I can't remember the last time Devon wrestled in a one on one match. With one mid-card title that's only for the 220 pound or less wrestlers, in which matches are composed of randon & interchangeable high flyers, and another one that's been sat on for the last 4.5 months, you have a roster full of talented guys who really are just floating about.

Both WWE & TNA have a lot of talent in their mid-card pictures. If the companies have no real desire to do anything with the titles, or the mid-card in general, I almost wish they'd simply do away with the titles in the first place. General misuse of titles has always been a pet peeve of mine and both TNA & WWE are very much guilty as charged these days.

Remember when the X-division meant something? That was good. It's crazy that TNA have forgotten that is what made people interested. I believe an argument about moving on and beyond the X-division but still use it. The "one night only" event was just a painful remainder of the things they are neglecting. The Television title is a waste of a belt - never liked the idea in the first place. They should just get rid of it and focus on the division that help make the company.When I first switched on TNA my interest was heightened by 1) Kurt Angle 2) The X-division

The X-division, and my some of my interest in TNA, died roughly when Jay Leathal left and Abyss became champ. They never recovered. Aries was good but the gulf in quality was just so apparent. Jay Leathal, Sabin, Shelly, Styles, Daniels are just some of the names that made the mid-card of TNA different to the WWE. That is what made me want to watch but it all went to shit. If you can make yourself different in a good way than do it. The X-division is properly build in my opinion. These guys need to be paired better, with better writing and some serious recruitment. Just a few changes, which can help the talented really shine makes for a better X-division and a better TNA.

As for the WWE, I still believe a mid-card unification is the way forward. One less belt increases competition and the desire to win it. Having the US and IC belt just messes everything up. One title means a more focused mid-card of people who are trying to elevate themselves to the top and are desperately trying to avoid being redundant. Truth beat Wade Barrett. Cesaro lost to Kofi. Is Truth now above or better than Cesaro? Lets just say there was only the US belt - it is simple, Truth beat Barrett so he is better than him and higher in the pecking order for Kofi's belt. Wrestling doesn't really work like that but they should at least try to make the mid-card matches worth watching (more emotional, personal, exciting feuds is an example)They ended the brand-extension so two mid-card belts creates confusion.

The WWE has an abundance of talent in the mid-card. Some guys I mentioned above are capable of 5-star matches but get lost for different reasons. It is painful to see but they just need give the very best proper programs so they can succeed. Give them matches to show their talent. There are 5 fucking hours of TV - can Cesaro, Barrett, The Miz, Kofi not get 5 minuets just to speak their mind. Can guys like Riley, Dibase and Mcgillicutty not get a match just so I know they are alive.

To summarise - get rid of the United States and Television belts in their respective companies and focus on the IC and X-division. Build feuds and actually use the talent available.

WWE has an accessible solution for it, but they choose to totally ignore it. They've got loads of talents and airtime yet they intentionally choose to have their champions lose. You know things are ridiculous when 3 champions lose clean in one night and only one was an actual title chance. It's lazy booking.

As for TNA, they also have the talent. Their airtime may be limited, but there's certainly better ways to go than have Devon carry that damn thing and do nothing. It may be the most exposure that belt has gotten in a while by being in the hands of A's & 8's #2 guy, but there still seems to be a lack of interest in the belt itself.

It might just be me, but both companies actually have the talent and the air-time, if you count Xplosion for TNA. I mean, here's TNA's roster by title division:

World:
AJ Styles
Bully Ray
James Storm
Jeff Hardy
Kurt Angle
Matt Morgan
Sting

Television
Alex Silva (training in OVW)
Crimson
Devon
Doug Williams (teaching in OVW)
Eric Young
Gunner
Jessie Godderz
Jospeh Parks
Magnus
Mr. Anderson
Rob Terry
Robbie E.
Sam Shaw (training in OVW)
Samoa Joe

X-Division
Christian York
Joey Ryan
Kenny King
Rockstar Spud
Zema Ion

Tag Team
Austin Aries & Robert Roode
Chavo Guerrero & Hernandez
Kazarian & Christopher Daniels
Garrett Bischoff & Wes Brisco
Knux & DOC

I mean, that's a pretty good roster to work. Put Magnus & Terry back together as a face tag team and throw them at Aries & Roode for now. Have Kurt work with one of the guys in the television division against Bischoff & Brisco (maybe Samoa Joe?), have Devon feud with James Storm so that Storm can maybe win a singles title and keep being involved in this Aces & Eight feud. Put Crimson & Gunner together as a military-trained, hard-nosed pair of badasses (babyface) and throw them at Knux & Doc. Kenny King versus Joey Ryan versus Zema Ion and Rockstar Spud versus Christian York? Mr. Anderson versus Joseph Parks? Asshole versus Lawyer? And then in the main event, Matt Morgan versus Bully Ray versus Jeff Hardy versus AJ Styles? Wildcard versus top heel versus face on redemption path versus loner? Chris Sabin versus Jessie Godderz to tie in to their wimmen feuding?

And that's ignoring the women's division of course. There's Gail Kim versus Taryn Terell, Tara versus Velvet Skye, Taeler Hendrix versus Mickie James maybe? Bring in someone to work with ODB...

Impact:
World: Bully Ray versus Matt Morgan versus Jeff Hardy versus AJ Styles
Television Devon versus James Storm
Kazarian/Daniels versus Magnus/Terry
Tag Team: Aries/Roode versus Guerrero/Hernandez
X-Division: Kenny King versus Joey Ryan
Angle/Joe versus Bischoff/Briscoe
Gail Kim versus Taryn Terell
Women's Tara versus Velvet Skye

Xplosion
Crimson/Gunner versus Knux/DOC
Mr. Anderson versus Joseph Parks
Eric Young versus Zema Ion
Rockstar Spud versus Christian York
Chris Sabin versus Jessie Godderz

Establish visible lines of seperation between each division. Someone in the television division really getting a pop that you want to exploit (example Storm)? Have a scene where he tells Hogan he's ready to move upwards to the world title division. Hogan books him a match against an existing figure in that division (Matt Morgan)? Match goes his way, he wins and is in the division. Morgan, furious over yet another competitor jumping in and taking his winnings, snaps and beats him down. Cue initial feud for Storm.

Not everyone has to immediately leap frog from mid-card to being an immediate contender, but just talking about them in relation to the main eventers could and should help. "Remember, Storm has several wins to his name over Kurt Angle, Bully Ray, etc..." "Yeah, but the Ray matches where tag-team matches where there's a lot more factors involved, or "anyone can have a win on the right night:, etc..."

Talk about their credentials, no matter how slim they are. Tenay in particular has always been a master of that, talking about where they worked, who they've fought (mention ex-TNA/WWE names for more fan recognition of who they've beat), etc...

There's a lot that both TNA and the WWE have let slip by in regards to building and developing their wrestlers. WWE-related roster review next!

The WWE, in comparison to TNA has hypothetically no problems that they can't overcome. They've got the money and the television time to acquire and push most of their wrestlers in a number of ways. Throw them together with more popular wrestlers as friends, go-to-tag partners. People they interact with not just in a match or a feud. One of the more recent examples was the John Cena/Zack Ryder storyline. While incredibly botched and pretty much got Zack buried in favor of a short-lived Kane/Cena storyline and a Diva whose already left the company, it had a lot of potential. Big Ryder up as a Cena protege, someone he sees as a budding young talent willing to step up to get to the top. Keep him firmly entrenched as a mid-card wrestler (feuding with Ziggler was the right step), and get him brief spots in the main event by having him tag with Cena occasionally, or step up for his mentor against whoever his current opponent is. Look back on the Miz feud for example. Miz/Alex Riley versus John Cena/Zack Ryder would have been a decent tv main event. Maybe have Ryder/Riley split off as a seperate feud? Jock versus good guy class clown? That writes itself! They need to do this sort of thing a lot more often.

Factions. Factions can be shit a lot of the time, and without purpose or response. Look at the Corre or SEX, for example. But they keep workers busy, on television and fulfilling a role. Big E is doing a great job as Ziggler's muscle and AJ is doing pretty well as his girlfriend/resident psycho girlfriend, and as a trinity, they've got the misfit family feel down really well. You can (and usually should in my opinion), have a number of lower-card or mid-card unofficial factions like this. People who hang out together, or interact with each other regularly. Maybe they have an agenda of some sort, or believe in the same thing, or came up together or have the same nationality. Build links, ties, because that's the thing that gives you storyline fodder for the mid-card and for weekly television. Ignoring the Ziggler thing, how about a loose group of hispanic wrestlers? Rey Mysterio mentoring Sin Cara is a fine start, but throw in the Colons as well? Or Regal mentoring Wade Barrett? Some of the NXT Pro/Rookie relationships getting tv time as Kofi Kingston feuds with Michael McGuillicutty, or R-Truth gets a partner to feud with the Prime-Time Players?

Also, as said in the TNA post, formalize the divisions between mid-card and main event and get some of these jobbers working on the A shows in throwaway matches or losing to the actual draws. And not in two minute squash matches either. I'd say a minimum of five minutes for a "squash", where both sides get some offense but the guy winning clearly establishes his superiority and how the other wrestler is outclassed. Most people today aren't as impressed with squash matches unless something truly spectacular happens in it, like Rybacks various strength demonstrations. Not saying twenty minute matches for everyone, just more time.

To expand more on the divisions thing I mentioned. Here's it's less easy to pull off since there is no obvious divisions like the X-Division. Plus there's two barely different brands with unequal amounts of television time and several dual-brand shows like Main Event, Superstars, Slam, etc...

Still, you can do certain things. Raw is by far the A-Show, with more time, more superstars and on a bigger network. So make the Divas Raw-exclusive and give them twenty minutes on average every week. At least one eight minute match, because these 30 second matches they're getting right now does neither them or the WWE any favors in how they're pushing the Divas. They're never going to be a draw (Lita/Stratus was a peak I don't think the WWE is ever getting back to), but let them be a regular feature and highlight of the show.

The tag-team division's pretty good as is. They just need to promote some of these guys and give them actual wins and feuds to sink their teeth into. Prime Time Players, Rhode Scholars, Usos, Colons.... These guys should be carrying the division and being prepared to step into championship contention instead of losing in 4 minutes to Hell No every week. I also personally think that PTP could be rather good as babyfaces, so maybe a feud with them versus RS?

In regards to the US & Intercontinental Championship, they've been rather botched for many years now. In my opinion though, it wouldn't take much to give them meaning again. Just put their title-holders in actual feuds. Kofi Kingston versus Jack Swagger right now could work pretty well. Wade Barrett really should have feuded against Chris Jericho up to Mania and it would have done him a world of good, and the one-day title drop to Miz was unnecessary. Right now, maybe have him work with Alberto Del Rio, if he's out of the title-scene? R-Truth is seemingly the next contender, but he's a pretty poor fit as an opponent for Wade, I think...

The disorganization in the midcard is certainly a pet peeve of mine as well, although I think it is not correct to say it's worse than it has ever been. I believe what we have today far surpasses say the Attitude Era. I am talking about the quality of the wrestling, as well as the angles. Sure they drop the ball still, but I feel that overall we have a much better product today than we did 15 years ago.

I cannot disagree with the OP and there have been some great posts here kudos to all. Some really good discussion here.

I'm really not sure why WWE have done certain things with their mid card talent, but it sure is wasting them and great opportunities they have alreadys et themselves up with.

Let's use Antonio Cesaro as an example. They spent a significant amount of time building him up, his feats of strength, his skill in the ring, his disdain for Americans and how nobody from the US could beat him.

The stage is set, he has held the belt for a great amount of time and defeated all comers, all creative had to book was a strong American who woudl challenge him on the mic and in the ring and bring the gold "home" to the U.S. The WWE has countless American wrestlers that could have used the rub by defeating Cesaro, being thought of as a national hero, as it wasn't just about becoming Champion, it was about being an American Hero doing it. Then all his defences would have a great feel to them as he contionues to uphold the honour of America.. or something like that.

But instead, with absolutely no feud, no storyline, no hype, Cesaro drops the belt to a guy who has been promoted as hailing from Jamaca and then Ghana his entire WWE career, and now he is technically American??? Let's not forget who this guy is, Kofi Kingston, the guy who for some reason just keeps getting the IC or US belt on a running rotation for the last five years.

So no new star was created, no great entertaining feud was developed for the fans, and with Cesaro who was unbeatable for months, being jobbed out since new years, no one even cares. What they did with this whole US title situtaion was the the total opposite of what should have been done.

When it comes to TNA, I can slightly understand they are (again) in the middle of another stable war, but yes, if Devon has the title, it gives TNA an excuse to actually make him wrestle, to actually get him in the ring, or actually administer some justice on their wrong doings by stripping him of the belt for not defending it (although wait, they did that already). Hopefully soon, Magnus or Joe or someone wins the belt off Devon. Maybe Aries or Roode will do it to complete their Grand Slam of the TNA (male) belts.

It really is a head scratcher with how WWE is treating their mid card, and how Vince can get angry about not creating any stars when someone as talented as Cesaro and Barrett are jobbed out every week.

One final thought, is that due to the WHC being seen as a mid card title and not just by the posters on this and other wrestling forums but the WWE itself (The Rock wouldn't be caught dead with it). The mid card is probably seen as those vying for it, and the lower card are the US and IC divisions now. Therefore they are jobbing out constantly.

Soem have said to unify the IC and US, but I think they also need to be consolidated with the WHC as well. Retire the big gold belt and be done with it.

WWE has an accessible solution for it, but they choose to totally ignore it. They've got loads of talents and airtime yet they intentionally choose to have their champions lose. You know things are ridiculous when 3 champions lose clean in one night and only one was an actual title chance. It's lazy booking.

Exactly. That's lazy booking. I was not fond of most of the decisions regarding champions on Monday night. However, I do feel that someone realized that they can't have Cesaro as a champion being beat that many times. I agree with that decision. But having Wade and Dolph lose? Come on.

A while ago I watched a Bret Hart interview and in it he said that what he feels is lacking is backstage agents and producers who were stars and know how to be stars. I think Kevin Nash had said the same thing. I agree with them. All due respect to Arn Anderson, Dean Malenko, and whoever else works back there, but they were not major stars.

Towards the end of last year, we saw more importance on the mid card and these guys looked credible. What happened? Wrestlemania season and the focus went to the main events. That's fine. This is where the mid card suffers because now, they are being handled by guys who don't know how to help create star power, in my view. I guarantee you that after Summerslam, the attention to the mid card will rise again because they will have the focus of the higher ups, but once Wrestlemania season comes back, it falls back on guys who just don't know how to create stars.

Just as an example; everyone knows Triple H runs NXT. If you watch NXT, it's a damn good show. Most of the wrestlers that appear have good-great matches, good-great characters, and they know how to create storylines to build to the next show. Why is that? It's because Triple H has been a star in the wrestling business for a long time. He knows what it takes to be a star. So you have a director who knows what it's like to be on top running a program full of young talents who want to be on top. You watch that show thinking that these wrestlers will be the next stars of the company.

That's what I feel is lacking. Until they find more suitable people backstage to help the midcard attain success, it will continue to have that stop and go pattern.

Simply put, WWE and TNA are not doing a good job of making the fans care about their midcard titles. If you give us a reason to care about the belts, we will. Right now sadly that is not the case. The midcard titles need a lot of help at the moment in both federations. Kofi Kingston just won the US Championship over in WWE. My reaction? On a scale of 1 to 10 (with 10 being the most excited) my excitement was probably around a 3, and that's being generous. The problem is the booking, not so much the champions. Given what we have been getting recently, I expect a very lackluster reign and that makes me feel bad for Kofi rather than happy when he had won another championship. 3 US Championship reigns (counting this one) and 4 Intercontinental Championship reigns. NONE of them were memorable. Someone with his skills deserves a good reign full of good feuds.

The Intercontinental Championship has been treated so poorly to the extent that I am starting to no longer care about it. Why make The Miz win the belt just to take it away and put it right back on Barrett!? Few things are more pointless than that. Not to mention how lackluster the last 6 reigns or so have been. Cody Rhodes up until Wrestlemania 28 had the last decent reign, none since then none have felt like they mattered. Then you have the US Championship. Not only is Cesaro kept off of the Wrestlemania card, but after a 230+ day reign, they just end it like that and put the belt on Kofi with no feud in sight. SERIOUSLY!? Does the federation care about these titles AT ALL!?

TNA's X Division title has not been the same since Aries' reign. RVD could have had a better one and now the division feels like it doesn't matter anymore. I won't even START on the Television Championship, it's useless and has been since the day it debuted. Had there only had been one midcard title the entire time that the Television/Global/Legends Championship has existed, more wrestlers would have had a shot at the X Division Championship and it would ultimately feel more important. Get rid of the Television Championship and that could do some good for the X Division Championship as well as the division itself.

As far as WWE's midcard belts are concerned.... There can still be a use for each of them. They do not have to unify them, although that seems like one of the better solutions. What they really need is better storylines to go along with lengthier feuds. Situations like Miz and Barrett should NEVER happen. It accomplishes nothing and makes the belt look unimportant. The storylines do not have to be as intense as the world title ones, but for goodness sakes give us a reason to care!!!! The belts should stick around for now, though. The US Championship can be used for pre-show matches of PPV's and also be defended once a week or so while the Intercontinental Championship can be used as a stepping stone for those being tested for main event pushes later down the line. Getting rid of them entirely won't help, unifying them might help, but proper booking of better storylines and longer title reigns surely will help make the belts seem important again.

The last time Kofi took the IC belt off of Miz, I felt it was really well done. They made Kofi look serious, and he cut that Wild Cat promo. Then nothing really happened. I'm not bitter about his recent losing streak, I know at any time he could get the break he deserves. Still, it is a bit of a head scratcher. I think he, Barrett, Miz, and Cesaro all deserve to be showcased more.

TNA just need to outline what their mid-card titles are. The TV Title & The X-Title are confusing. They should make the TV Title for the upper card guys (IC Level) or the guys too big for the X-Division, and the X-Division title for cruiserweights. That simple.

WWE just need to unify their mid-card titles.

TNA just need to outline what their mid-card titles are. The TV Title & The X-Title are confusing. They should make the TV Title for the upper card guys (IC Level) or the guys too big for the X-Division, and the X-Division title for cruiserweights. That simple.
You say it as though it wasn't obviously clear already where each title stands. It couldn't be more obvious really.

WWE just need to unify their mid-card titles.
And solve nothing. The issue is overall booking and how it goes in total circles. Not that there's too many titles. Aside from the odd duck of having 2 World titles with one clearly superior to the other, there's a very well established set of titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back