WWE: The Calgary Sub-Regional

I feel that Hart is vastly over-praised and over-rated. I'll be making a case for him to go out against a far bigger legend in Inoki.

Hart/Race is a very interesting match-up. On one side you have Harley Race. He was a thinking man. He could pick apart every aspect of your game in the ring. He was also a legitimate tough-guy. He could flat out rumble. Against him is... Wait who? Owen who?

Seriously, what the fuck did Owen Hart ever do to deserve so much praise? Oh yeah, he beat Bret with a roll-up and died. Harley Race would tear Owen Hart to shreds.

I think some fans do kiss Bret Hart's ass a little too much, but the guy had tremendous ability that just can't be ignored. He always wrestled quality matches even when he was stuck against a shitty opponent. Kevin Nash and The Mountie, for instance, were shit in the ring. Nash was big, clumsy and slow as Hell while The Mountie was simply...well The Mountie speaks for himself. But, Hart made them look like a million bucks.

I'll be the first to sing the praises of Inoki, he was simply great. His legendary status in Japan is earned. He may not have quite as many titles on his mantle as some of the other Japanese legends, but he always had high quality matches against the biggest names of his day. I'm gonna have to think about this one before I vote. It honestly wouldn't bother me to see either one move forward.

As for Harley Race and Owen Hart, I'm not totally sure either. I truly don't feel Race in his prime would've been able to handle Umaga. But, sometimes people are dazzled by the sheer number of titles Race won over his career, including 8 NWA World Heavyweight Championships, and it's enough to get him by.

Race kept himself in good condition. The truth is, Race was probably in the best physical shape of his life when he went to work for the WWF in the mid and late 80s. He'd be stronger than Owen, but Owen was the better athlete overall. Owen was tougher than people give him credit for. Stu Hart, a very well respected and legitimate hooker, did train Owen initially. This is another I'll have to stew over for a bit.

I feel that Hart is vastly over-praised and over-rated. I'll be making a case for him to go out against a far bigger legend in Inoki.

Hart/Race is a very interesting match-up. On one side you have Harley Race. He was a thinking man. He could pick apart every aspect of your game in the ring. He was also a legitimate tough-guy. He could flat out rumble. Against him is... Wait who? Owen who?

Seriously, what the fuck did Owen Hart ever do to deserve so much praise? Oh yeah, he beat Bret with a roll-up and died. Harley Race would tear Owen Hart to shreds.

I can't believe I am going to say this, but for the first time in MONTHS, 48.7 and I agree on something TO A T.

Hart vs Inoki, much like the hopeful Andre vs Vader match in the Denver finals next round, is an absolute DREAM match, and only thanks to seeding is it not occuring in the final 4. But I will be backing Inoki as a greater overall legend, though I expect it to be close.

Harley Race will take the younger Hart to school. Race was smarter, more devious, and possesed more of a killer instinct than Owen ever did, and it only takes one missed high spot for Race to capitalize and stomp a hole in Owen's dome. Race wins, it should be easy for him.

Final Results from Calgary, Alberta Canada

Bret Hart vs. Antonio Inoki: 37-22. Bret Hart is beginning to steam roll in this thing, taking down one of the Godfathers of Japanes Wrestling in an impressive manner.

Harley Race vs. Owen Hart: 39-13. Harley Race takes down the youngest of the Hart Litter in Calgary with relative ease.

Round 4 Matches.
The scene shifts to Madison Square Garden, in a to be determined Gimmick Match, #1 Bret the Hitman Hart vs. #8. Harley Race.

It is going to be a decent match-up to say the least. Harley was able to take down one Hart, but will he be able to take down another? I don't think so, not in a WWE ring against the excellence of execution in a gimmick match. Neither men are heavily known for the gimmicks, but Bret Has shown he is skilled in Iron Man matches, cage matches, and took part in probably the first ever ladder match. Close match, with Hart taking control.

Harley Race is tougher than Bret Hart. He's more resilient. Harley is more punishing. He is stronger. Harley is a smarter wrestler. Bret has a slight edge in technical wrestling, but Harley has a large advantage in brawling. Bret is faster, but that's about all he does better than Race. Harley Race should win this match.

Race's legendary status got him by Umaga and he ws just simply better than Owen, but I think Race has come to the end of the line here.

Toughness is debatable and strength are debatable, but Race is not a smarter wrestler nor do I automatically think he's a better brawler. Bret Hart did pretty well against Stone Cold Steve Austin in a few no DQ matches so Race isn't going to simply roll right through him if it comes down to a brawl.

As to Race being more resilient, not a chance. Bret has taken power bombs from Kevin Nash, diving head butts from Chris Benoit, chokeslams from the Undertaker, etc. has managed to come back from them. He's taken much greater offense from much more powerful men than Harley Race and come back with victories over them.

As far as technical capability, I don't think Race is even close. He was a good all around wrestler, but he never had the stuff to go hold for hold against Bret Hart. In terms of overall athletic ability, Bret is signifigantly superior to Race which goes a long way.

I know Race is a legend, deservedly so, but so is Bret Hart. Hitman should take this.

This is not the kind of match I can see Bret excelling in. A Dumpster Match is almost crafted for heels to excel at. Bret is a great technician, but this match will come down to who can take a punch better, and who has a badder mean streak. We all knew this match was going to be greatness, but I think, in the end, Race comes out the victor.

Dumpster match huh? Since it's basically anything goes when you get right down to it, I think it could go either way. People do underestimate Bret Hart's toughness a little too much, though a dumpster match is far from his usual stomping ground. But, part of being great means being able to adapt to whatever's thrown at you and Hart is able to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back