• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WWE: Tag Team Division Idea

TJWWE

Pre-Show Stalwart
This post may have happened a few times but that was about the tag division. My post is about 2 ideas of what to do.

In WWE right now, you have the following teams.
-Kofi/Truth
-Epico/Primo
-The Usos
-Young/O'Neil
-Gabriel/Kidd
-Camaho/Hunico
-Hawkins/Rex

That's a total of 7 tag teams within WWE at this time.
I know it might not care whether they are heel or face but they have 3 babyface teams and 4 heel tag teams, now that's enough for a tag division.

Here is what I would do.
At Money In The Bank or perhaps Summerslam, I would have a tag team turmoil with all 7 teams involved. Unlike the NOC 2010 tag turmoil match, this will have a good amount of time (15-20 minutes).

Or.. at Summerslam, the winning team of the tag tournament would face Kofi/Truth in a ladder match for the belts.

I would slot in another 3 random babyface teams (Santino/Ryder, Brodus/Hornswoggle, Jackson/Khali). So for example, the brackets would stand as..

Santino/Ryder vs Epico/Primo (WINNERS: Epico/Primo) - Match happen on week 1 RAW
Brodus/Hornswoggle vs Young/O'Neil (WINNERS: Young/O'Neil) - Match happen on week 1 Smackdown
Gabriel/Kidd vs Camaho/Hunico (WINNERS: Gabriel/Kidd) - Match happen on week 1 Superstars
Ezekiel/Khali vs Hawkins/Rex (WINNERS: Ezekiel/Kali) - Match happen on week 1 NXT

Epico/Primo vs Gabriel/Kidd (WINNERS: Gabriel/Kidd) - Match happen on week 2 RAW
Young/O'Neil vs Ezekiel/Khali (WINNERS: Young/O'Neil) - Match happen on week 2 Smackdown

Gabriel/Kidd vs Young/O'Neil (WINNERS: Young/O'Neil) - Match happen on week 3 week RAW

That'll give the following Smackdown, RAW and then another Smackdown to set up a ladder match.

YES, I know the tag divison is not as the same as it was in the old days with the classic Hardy/Dudley/E&C matches and popularity but this could be the start of something new.

So, what do you think of my idea or do you have another or better idea?

It's an interesting idea and one that could possibly work if Vince was someone that was really a fan of tag team wrestling. Unfortunately for tag team wrestling in WWE, Vince really isn't a huge fan and I'm not sure that he ever really was or has been. All in all, things in the tag team picture are better than they used to be, which isn't hard to imagine, and there are a handful of promising teams on the WWE roster, something that we haven't really seen in a few years also.

I'm not that wild about the idea of the random babyface teams, although I'd be tempted to add Santino & Ryder into the mix. They've teamed together several times, including this past Friday. I don't know if this past Friday was intended as a fluke win or if the ref counted three as Young or O'Neil, I can't remember which was pinned, wasn't able to get his shoulder up in time, resulting in a botched finish. After all, the surprise roll up was, literally, the only offense Santino & Ryder had in the entire match. As for Brodus & Hornswoggle, I see Hornswoggle as more of a mascot than anything else. Thankfully, we haven't seen him in several weeks and I hope that's a continuing trend. As for Big Zeke & Khali, I kinda shudder to think about it. I'd much rather see Reks & Hawkins go over those two. They've been doing a good job on NXT for a while now and have real potential.

A tag team tornado match has possibilities, but it runs the risk of becoming so chaotic, especially with so many teams involved. WWE has shown that they can pull off matches like these without them become massive clusterfucks in the past, but I'm not so sure when it comes to 14 people. I like the idea of all the various teams having something of a tournament with the winner getting a shot at the tag titles at a big ppv. It'd be nice to see the tag titles defended in a ladder match at SummerSlam. It's one of the WWE's Big Four ppvs of the year, we haven't seen the tag titles in a ladder match in a very long time and ladder matches are always highly anticipated. The WWE Tag Team Championship match at Over The Limit actually got some hype & build rather than be an unannounced match tacked onto the card, so that's another sign of at least some improvement.

Interesting idea. The only problems I can see with this are:

1. This leaves Kofi and Truth nothing to do in the meantime as all the other tag teams would be in matches. I'm assuming they would be on commentary for some and having random squash matches as singles competitors which I'm not too keen on.

2. I agree that randomly thrown together babyfaces aren't the greatest idea. (Especially Hornswoggle, Khali and Jackson) But I can see Santino/Ryder working and maybe Brodus with someone completely new like Yoshi Tatsu or Alex Riley. And, this may be complete nonsense but you could have a really lower card face say they have a surprise partner in their first match and have Ryback come out for them. This could get Ryback the Tag Titles and, obviously, this isn't where he should be, but he could hold on to them with his partner until he gets and inevitable US or IC title shot. Or maybe more.

Overall though, great idea. I think a tournament style could work quite well, although I would personally have them all on Raw and SD! because NXT and Superstars aren't shown in America and the crowd wouldn't invest in important matches being on those shows.

That's a good idea,it will give people like Reeks and Hawkins time to show what they're made of, time to shine, in my opinion, the tag team division was great between 1999/2003, with teams like the APA, Billy and Chuck, Edge and Christian, etc. and at this time, they have the potential to have a great tag team division, they have quality people to pull it off in teams like Titus and Young, Gabriel and Tyson Kidd, Reeks and Hawkins, and obiously Kofi and R Truth, if the WWE really put some effort into the Tag Team division with the teams they have now, it can be great.......

I like the idea, but I don't think the Tag Team Division is ready for something like that yet.

Yes, most of us want a resurgent tag division, but it isn't going to happen overnight - there needs to be a prolonged build-up of the teams you've mentioned. There's been more of a push recently with young guys like Young & O'Neil getting a chance, but there hasn't been the kind of character development like some of the old teams e.g E&C.

I think having a tournament or some other major Tag Team match would be a sensible idea in maybe a years time, if the WWE continue with the recent focus. There's no point doing something like this if none of the crowd cares about who's involved.

If I was the WWE I'd reunite the kings of wrestling Cesaro and his rugby gimmick is kinda boring IMO and the Kings are a very entertaining tag team. Also the MCMG's may be coming to the wwe so bring them up to the roster same with the briscoes

I really don't care what they do with the tag teams as long as they keep them going. If you think about it, the tag teams of the past used to be wrestlers that weren't big enough to really have a go on their own. (in most cases) This is the opportunity to bring more wrestlers into the spotlight and at least get their names out there. Remember, HBK came from a tag team........we could see our next HBK come from one of the newer tag teams.....

A series of two out of three falls tagteam matches featuring a top guy with an opposing top guy, scouting for uprising and valuable talent to create a team of unstoppable force. The leader in search is the visionary and should be followed by someone that respects the ideal. Allows an increased view of comradeship among wrestlers and can light a fire to the tag team class. (ultimately, you can't mash two people together and expect them to be perfect. it takes talent to make the show with a partner, and gives good TV time to wrestlers under the guise that weaker teams get pecked apart and the winners are just keen competitors.)

the underlings can spur onto main event once the team eventually break apart. tag division can continue to match and use existing talent and highlight newer wrestlers.

It's really easy, actually. WWE needs to do exactly what they did tonight. Take two tage teams and give them time in the ring. The Reks/Hawkins vs Kofi/Truth match tonight was great. Why? Reks and Hawkins look and act like a tag team. Kofi and Truth act like a tag team.

So where does the whole thing continue to. Well, I don't hate the idea of building towards something big at SS. Of course, if the plan is actually to work towards making title more important, I would run 3 different MITB matches at the PPV in July. One will be for a shot at the WWE or World title, one for a shot at the IC or US title and finally one for a shot at the tag titles. By having qualifying matches for each, you can give a taste of a few new teams and continue to establish the current teams.

In the mean time, given that Kofi and Truth tried to help against Show last week, I'd have Show enlist a tag team, two guys who are new in order to continue the no one came to help me angle, and have them feud with the champs, leading to a ladder match at Survivor Series. At the mid way point, the MITB winners come down to cash in a join the match, and eventually win. This can lead to a TLC match between the 3 teams in December. Remember, the Hardys, Dudleys and E andC feud was built around ladder and TLC matches, and what better way to make the tag titles be important than to take people back to a time when they were last important?

I like the idea, but the teams mentioned need a little bit more focus before they are put into a tournament for the number 1 contender spot. I liked what they did tonight in having Reks and Hawkins face Kofi and Truth. They actually got some time and looked like teams. Keep giving the teams exposure on tv and then announce a tournament, and I think it will garner more interest.

Much as Reks and Hawkins are working, I think they HAVE to go the Funkasaurus Reks route at some point. Perhaps have the heel team split during the tournament?

Cesaro hasn't worked, so I do see KOW being used before long. For this to really work you also would need a "vet" team to occupy Kofi and Truth, I don't see the harm in a short run for Benjamin and Haas or with their apparent appearance in the new WWE game, The New Age Outlaws.

I have always thought it would be a cool idea for the Tag TEAM Division to actually have standings like other sports with team concepts. You can have matches on Raw and Smackdown where at each PPV the team with the best ranking fights for the title. This way you don't need WWE creative to have elaborate storylines for all the teams. It just needs to have the focus that they are fighting to climb up the standings in order to have a title shot. With other shows like Superstars and even NXT, you can have a lot of tag matches going on and a chance to build "wins" and "losses".

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back