WWE SummerSlam: WWE Championship - Jinder Mahal (c) VS Shinsuke Nakamura

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
Minutes ago, Shinsuke Nakamura defeated John Cena on SmackDown Live for an opportunity at the WWE Championship at SummerSlam.

Cena took a really nasty bump near the end of the match as Nakamura was going for the reverse exploding suplex but Cena didn't flip over and came down right on the back of his head and neck. Afterward, Nakamura hit the Kinshasa knee strike for the clean win.

My gut tells me that Nakamura becomes the first Japanese born WWE Champion at SummerSlam only to drop the title seconds or minutes later due to Baron Corbin cashing in his MITB briefcase. Either that, or Jinder retains due to outside interference from the Singh Brothers and/or Baron Corbin. It's always possible that Nakamura walks out of SummerSlam as champion, but I think either of the two scenarios I mentioned is much more likely.

On the one hand I'm happy two non Americans are fighting for the WWE Championship.
On the other hand I'm not because the US Championship holds more star power as of now and feels bigger than the WWE title.

Also Nakamura definately isn't on championship level yet but if Jinder can be the champ then anyone can right?

I love the fact that Shinsuke is going to challenge but I have three fears for this match.

1. If Jinder loses, then his Championship run has probably been a failure. If you are going the cowardly heel route I.E. JBL, I believe only a long run sets you up. It makes you look like your conniving and cheating makes you a legit threat to anyone and I don't think Jinder is there yet.

2. Shinsuke wins, and Corbin cashes in. I don't think Corbin is there yet. I don't really even think Shinsuke is there yet.

3. Shinsuke loses, and then why put him in the match in the first place.

So while I love the new blood in the match, I fear that there aren't all that many positive outcomes that can come out of it. Unless Shinsuke wins and goes on a tear.

So, Shinsuke Nakamura beat Cena, and now he will face Jinder Mahal at "Summerslam".

You know, once upon a time, "Summerslam" was looked at as the second-biggest show of the year. I thought of it as "Wrestlemania's little brother".

It used to be a show where you would have major matches, that were too big for ordinary PPVs, but were too big to carry until Wrestlemania.

But now, this year, it looks like Summerslam will be a mere "B" show.

Really? Shinsuke v Mahal? One guy who has been on the main roster for a couple of months challenging against a guy who was irelevant, and only got the belt in a cynical exercise so that WWE could tap into the 1 billion people living in India. Neither are deserving of a push yet.

This however shows the hypocrisy in many of you.

You complained when Cena got pushed too soon. You complained when Roman got pushed too soon, yet I bet you don't complain when Nakamura gets a main event spot so soon, just like when you didn't complain when Finn Balor got a WWE Universal Title shot at last year's "Summerslam", on his first night on RAW.

Cena v Mahal looks like a "Summerslam" match. It isn't quite "Wrestlemania" levels, but it is the current champion versus a guy who has carried the company for the last fifteen years. Mahal needs top guys to make him look relevant. If he beats Nakamura at "Summerslam", it means little, because he beat someone in the main event too soon. If Nakamura wins, he only beat Jinder Mahal, a guy who got eliminated from the pre-Wrestlemania battle royal by a football player. This is more a match you would open with on a "Smackdown" PPV with the U.S. belt on the line, not a main event on the second most important card of the year with the WWE belt on the line.

I fear that this is what will happen when Triple H finally takes over- "flavors of the month" will win the company's most important belt too soon, only to get injured or go down the card, when they are shown up as not being able to hang on the levels of John Cena or Randy Orton.

Why even have Cena challenge, if he is not going to win? Why not just have Nakamura challenge, or win a qualifying match?

I mean, Nakamura can barely speak English, yet he is meant to be our great hope.

With Naomi v Natalya as a Women's Title match, and this as the men's, it seems obvious to me that WWE have put little effort into Summerslam this year, and its relevance diminishes by the year. At least two years ago, having Brock v Undertaker made "Summerslam" a big deal. But we are a long way away from times like that, when the established stars main evented, and newcomers only main evented after two or three years climbing the ladder. It took Austin and the Rock a while to main event, and when they did, they were "ready" and became big stars. They weren't rushed. I doubt Nakamura or Mahal will ever be spoken about in the same breath as Austin, the Rock, HBK, Bret Hart or most of the others who "cut their teeth" first, and went onto be HoFers and Legends. There's no chance of that with Smackdown's contribution to "Summerslam".

My gut tells me that Nakamura becomes the first Japanese born WWE Champion at SummerSlam only to drop the title seconds or minutes later due to Baron Corbin cashing in his MITB briefcase. Either that, or Jinder retains due to outside interference from the Singh Brothers and/or Baron Corbin. It's always possible that Nakamura walks out of SummerSlam as champion, but I think either of the two scenarios I mentioned is much more likely.

This is my biggest fear actually. WWE right now so needs a moment and having it taken away might not be the best idea.

As much as I don't like Mahal as champion, I'd rather see him retain the title at this point and given the circumstances.

I'd rather see Nakamura win the title by beating folks like Cena, Orton, Styles, or even Owens. Guys who have a more credibility and it makes the win so much bigger.

Remember part of the reason why fans turned on Cena when he won the title was that he beat a weak champion (JBL).

Also I'd don't want to see a cash in right after cutting Nakamura's reign short.

Also if the reason why the WWE put the title on Mahal is for the India market, I don't see Mahal dropping the title.

So, Shinsuke Nakamura beat Cena, and now he will face Jinder Mahal at "Summerslam".

You know, once upon a time, "Summerslam" was looked at as the second-biggest show of the year. I thought of it as "Wrestlemania's little brother".

It used to be a show where you would have major matches, that were too big for ordinary PPVs, but were too big to carry until Wrestlemania.

Really? Shinsuke v Mahal? One guy who has been on the main roster for a couple of months challenging against a guy who was irelevant, and only got the belt in a cynical exercise so that WWE could tap into the 1 billion people living in India. Neither are deserving of a push yet.

Nakamura in the title picture is fine because he has been with the company for over a year and has also beaten Samoa Joe (who is also in the title picture on RAW). He shouldn't be winning it but seeing him as a #1 contender does generate interest.

Mahal is the problem you don't go from jobber to Champion in a blink in an eye.

There is surely only one way that this ends, right? Forgetting what might happen afterwards, Shinsuke absolutely has to become champion. I think it's far too early and random and defeating Jinder Mahal to do it would be anticlimactic to say the least, but with reports that the company are not happy with the way the Mahal reign has gone, the general lack of reaction to Mahal, and the popularity of Nakamura, I'd say it's time to end this experiment. It hasn't worked, so move along. Of course, there is every chance that Mahal does successfully retain the title, but does anyone actually want to see that now? I defended the decision to put the title on him until we saw how it played out. And now it has played out, it's definitely not working. The biggest reality though is that if we are expected to believe that Nakamura can defeat John Cena, he can wipe the floor with Mahal. Nakamura also has his first major win under his belt too, which benefits his chances of winning at SummerSlam. If Nakamura is booked to win this, I can see this match only lasting seven or eight minutes quite honestly.

Now, if Nakamura does win this, the chances of Corbin cashing in are high. But it is far too early. It might be early for Nakamura, but we know he has the backing and the skills to maintain a main event standard sooner rather than later. Corbin, in my opinion, still needs some more exposure and general work before he is ready. Let Nakamura have his moment at SummerSlam if that is what is to happen, and let Corbin cash in at the next SmackDown pay-per-view if they are that desperate. Fake it at SummerSlam if necessary. Honestly, I don't want to see him cash in until after WrestleMania. Let him wait, build and grow first. Let us have Nakamura as champion and hopefully that rumoured WWE Championship match at WrestleMania 34 perhaps.

How in time we have gone from Bret Hart vs. The British Bulldog to Jinder Mahal vs. Shinsuke Nakamura, I don't know.

I'm bored of Jinder's headline run. He hasn't grown into the role at all. That said, he'll get nuclear heat of he's the man to give Nakamura his first pinfall loss on the main roster. That outcome is just the most appealing to me. And I think that now they've gone with him as champion they should really go with it and have him hold until Mania.

I'm bored of Jinder's headline run. He hasn't grown into the role at all. That said, he'll get nuclear heat of he's the man to give Nakamura his first pinfall loss on the main roster. That outcome is just the most appealing to me. And I think that now they've gone with him as champion they should really go with it and have him hold until Mania.

I think it was Bryan Alvarez that ranted recently that WWE writers would write things to get the heels heat instead of writing things to get the babyfaces over. So you might be right about that. Still a crappy decision if it happens though.

I'd rather see a DQ Finish then maybe continuing the feud in a three way where someone else other than Nakamura takes the fall.

Like I said I am not a fan of Mahal as Champion but I'd rather have someone more established take the title so if someone like Nakamura wins it, it would mean more.

This is my biggest fear actually. WWE right now so needs a moment and having it taken away might not be the best idea.

As much as I don't like Mahal as champion, I'd rather see him retain the title at this point and given the circumstances.

I'd rather see Nakamura win the title by beating folks like Cena, Orton, Styles, or even Owens. Guys who have a more credibility and it makes the win so much bigger.

Remember part of the reason why fans turned on Cena when he won the title was that he beat a weak champion (JBL).

Also I'd don't want to see a cash in right after cutting Nakamura's reign short.

Also if the reason why the WWE put the title on Mahal is for the India market, I don't see Mahal dropping the title.

Nakamura in the title picture is fine because he has been with the company for over a year and has also beaten Samoa Joe (who is also in the title picture on RAW). He shouldn't be winning it but seeing him as a #1 contender does generate interest.

Mahal is the problem you don't go from jobber to Champion in a blink in an eye.

I hate to point this out to you, but I don't see being on NXT as "being around for a year and beating Samoa Joe".

Do you know what the figures for NXT are? Everyone complains about RAW's ratings, but I bet more watch RAW and Smackdown than NXT.

NXT has more of a "ECW" cult feel to it, where diehards follow it. But I would argue that many fans (myself included) who don't watch as much don't see these guys as "being around for a year".

NXT is really just a televised developmental league. It isn't "the big time". Everyone's goal in NXT should be to progress to the main roster.

Look, what people here have to realise is, that shows like Summerslam aren't just about what you want. It, like Wrestlemania, is about drawing mainstream attention and getting the casual fan on board as well. Cena being in the title picture will do that, because he is more a mainstream star, and has been on TV and movies. People outside of wrestling have heard of "John Cena". They haven't heard of Shinsuke Nakamura. He is mainly known by those who follow wrestling in Japan and NXT. So, the casual fan won't buy Nakamura v Mahal, and, ultimately, WWE is about making money, and getting as many people on board as possible, including those who don't know Nakamura nor thinks that the sun shines out of his anus. Nakamura may be the fans' choice, and a better worker, but Cena sells, and selling your product is ultimately what counts.

Everyone is happy that Nakamura beat Cena for a title shot.

But wouldn't it mean more if Cena beat Mahal at "Summerslam", and then, down the track, Nakamura beat Cena for the belt, where he beats a top star, and give him more "legitimacy".

Having Nakamura beat someone like Jinder Mahal for the title before he is ready is more a "feel-good" moment to appease fans, a case of the tail wagging the dog, than long-term planning where Nakamura's first title win would mean more because he beat someone legit for it, rather than a placeholder like Mahal is.

I hate to point this out to you, but I don't see being on NXT as "being around for a year and beating Samoa Joe".

Do you know what the figures for NXT are? Everyone complains about RAW's ratings, but I bet more watch RAW and Smackdown than NXT.

NXT has more of a "ECW" cult feel to it, where diehards follow it. But I would argue that many fans (myself included) who don't watch as much don't see these guys as "being around for a year".

NXT is really just a televised developmental league. It isn't "the big time". Everyone's goal in NXT should be to progress to the main roster.

Look, what people here have to realise is, that shows like Summerslam aren't just about what you want. It, like Wrestlemania, is about drawing mainstream attention and getting the casual fan on board as well. Cena being in the title picture will do that, because he is more a mainstream star, and has been on TV and movies. People outside of wrestling have heard of "John Cena". They haven't heard of Shinsuke Nakamura. He is mainly known by those who follow wrestling in Japan and NXT. So, the casual fan won't buy Nakamura v Mahal, and, ultimately, WWE is about making money, and getting as many people on board as possible, including those who don't know Nakamura nor thinks that the sun shines out of his anus. Nakamura may be the fans' choice, and a better worker, but Cena sells, and selling your product is ultimately what counts.

I disagree with you and then agree with your last paragraph.

Say what you want about NXT but the fact is that Nakamura has been with the company for a year and a half. You may not recognise his win over Joe but it happened.

NXT isn't really developmental anymore either given that its selling out the Berkeley's Centre in Brooklyn for a third year running, but that is another story for another time.

I do however agree to the notion that they have to 'sell' SummerSlam to viewers and you're right, guys like Cena will do that. But putting guys like Nakamura over Cena on network television will also help put Nakamura in a more prominent place on the roster/card, which is what wrestling is all about. Cena has done it for numerous talents, some its worked for, some it hasn't. But I agree with you that to build stars take time, and maybe SummerSlam isn't the right place to showcase them...then again, maybe its the perfect place to. We'll see in the long term. Just enjoy the ride. It's entertainment right?

I don't think Corbin is there yet. I don't really even think Shinsuke is there yet.
Pretty much sums up how i feel about the wwe championship picture.

They haven't legitimized the champion, yet the top 2 challengers are guys who need as much, if not more development. The wwe/world title picture is the least interesting championship picture right not(and from the looks of it, the next few months or more), imo.

I'm not the biggest fan of Jinder, but he's coming into his own and starting to feel like a champion. I would not want to see him lose the championship in a 3 week feud. Have to say Jinder wins his first championship match CLEAN.

NXT doesn't reach the same audience as the main roster but calling it more of "ECW" is a bit of a stretch. NXT is able to draw a crowd on it's own, something ECW couldn't do after it's Honeymoon period, and even drew 15,000 for it's PPV's. ECW could only draw 4,000 in it's only PPV.

Also NXT being on the Network means it's better integrated into the WWE product more so than ECW or OVW ever did.

Anyways even if you compare NXT to ECW remember Sheamus won the WWE Title a couple of months after jumping from ECW to RAW.

Nakamura hasn't connected yet with the fans. He's no Owens, he's no Balor, he's not even a Zayn. I don't know what value his name holds, but this match doesn't feel like a big championship match, that's for sure.

This feud could bring more fans behind Nakamura if they book an underdog angle where Nakamura chases the belt until October-November, finally wins it, only for Corbin to cash in, then he chases it again until let's say Wrestlemania. That way I can accept this angle. It will feel nice. Nakamura can be a great underdog. He definately has the charisma needed and if he can get the fans behind it without even talking properly, then WWE has a jackpot. Jinder, with his goons and Khali feels like a big fucking jerk. He gets heat. That heat could propel Nakamura.

First things first....no matter the outcome, Jinder Mahal's run as Champion has been JBL like if not worse. he's just not a great character with his mic work and his in ring skills arent great to see either.

on the other hand, Shinsuke is great in the ring and while he's not the best talker in the world, he's entertaining with his cool entrance. Shinsuke is ready for a title run, BUT the problem is i dont see him walking out as champion. my guess is that Corbin will likely cash in the case...i hope if he cashes in the case though, he cashes in DURING the match and not after. if there is no cash in, then to me, Nakamura should win this because while he's not a great talker, he gets away with it because he at least can wrestle great matches.....personally, i wish Kevin Owens was the Champion here and not Jinder. if Jinder retains, i'll be pretty surprised.

If it was up to me, I would book Corbin to cash in during the match after being defeated by Cena earlier in night. Have Corbin cash in and have Nakamura hit Jinder with the KINSHASHA then Corbin comes in and throws Nakamura out of the ring and get the pin. Have Nakamura chase the belt till like survivor series or December ppv.

Jinder needs to lose the title. It's not working and hasn't. His snoozefests with Orton haven't helped him much. I want to see Shinsuke just Kinshasha him in like 20 seconds and win with no cash in. I've never been interested in Corbin, but at least he's a LITTLE more interesting than Jinder and isn't losing 2 minute squashes like Mahal was right before he became champion.

Yeah I would like a clean fast victory for Nakamura along with kneeing Corbin's head off during an attempted cash in and walk out of Summerslam as champion. Depending on the superstar shake up, you have guys like Owens, Styles, Zayn, Cena, Orton, Rollins, Reigns, etc. who could tie it up with Shinsuke throughout the fall and actually have entertaining matches and programs. Can't say that it would be the same with either Jinder or Corbin.

This however shows the hypocrisy in many of you.

You complained when Cena got pushed too soon. You complained when Roman got pushed too soon, yet I bet you don't complain when Nakamura gets a main event spot so soon, just like when you didn't complain when Finn Balor got a WWE Universal Title shot at last year's "Summerslam", on his first night on RAW.

Cena v Mahal looks like a "Summerslam" match. It isn't quite "Wrestlemania" levels, but it is the current champion versus a guy who has carried the company for the last fifteen years. Mahal needs top guys to make him look relevant. If he beats Nakamura at "Summerslam", it means little, because he beat someone in the main event too soon. If Nakamura wins, he only beat Jinder Mahal, a guy who got eliminated from the pre-Wrestlemania battle royal by a football player. This is more a match you would open with on a "Smackdown" PPV with the U.S. belt on the line, not a main event on the second most important card of the year with the WWE belt on the line.

I fear that this is what will happen when Triple H finally takes over- "flavors of the month" will win the company's most important belt too soon, only to get injured or go down the card, when they are shown up as not being able to hang on the levels of John Cena or Randy Orton.

Why even have Cena challenge, if he is not going to win? Why not just have Nakamura challenge, or win a qualifying match?

I mean, Nakamura can barely speak English, yet he is meant to be our great hope.

With Naomi v Natalya as a Women's Title match, and this as the men's, it seems obvious to me that WWE have put little effort into Summerslam this year, and its relevance diminishes by the year. At least two years ago, having Brock v Undertaker made "Summerslam" a big deal. But we are a long way away from times like that, when the established stars main evented, and newcomers only main evented after two or three years climbing the ladder. It took Austin and the Rock a while to main event, and when they did, they were "ready" and became big stars. They weren't rushed. I doubt Nakamura or Mahal will ever be spoken about in the same breath as Austin, the Rock, HBK, Bret Hart or most of the others who "cut their teeth" first, and went onto be HoFers and Legends. There's no chance of that with Smackdown's contribution to "Summerslam".
Unless these guys start wrestling in the big main event matches there is no way for them to become the big time players they need to be. This is how new stars are created.

It is a little soon for Nakamura, but as a fan, I'm not gonna complain. And it is NOT a contradiction given people said it was too soon for Roman Reigns to get the push, and as someone else said, Cena either when he got it.
Cena wasn't damaged goods because he won the belt from a weak champion in JBL (like Mahal) either, Cena started getting booed because people got tired of him always on top (i.e. "super Cena") and the hardcore wrestling community didn't respect him because he sucked at wrestling at the time.
Reigns IS being booed because he was pushed too soon. And that has now ruined him seemingly forever. But it's not solely because it was too soon, he was still very green in the ring and doesn't have the most charismatic personality. And at this point they've tried too hard and too long with him that he will probably never recover. Then again maybe he wasn't ever gonna be bonafide main event face-of-the-company material anyway.

As for Nakamura vs. Mahal, seems a bit awkward, but Mahal's whole thing hasn't seemed to be succeeding by any means. IF he were to beat Nakamura, the smarter tough New York crowd would crap all over it. It would get heat, yeah, but not the good kind. It wouldn't get the kind of heat that would make you wanna tune in to see Mahal get his bu tt kicked and lose. It would get the kind of heat that would turn off audiences and make them want to tune out.
So.... IF the idea is to have Mahal retain his title then putting him against Nakamura is the absolute worst person for him to go against given that he's still so fresh on the scene and undefeated on the main roster. Naka may still be working out the kinks of the transition to main stage WWE, but people ARE very excited about him. Naka in the main event picture can really shine because he really knows how to put on a longer main event style match and work the crowd given more time. I think that's the main reason some of you guys are criticizing him right now.

In short, there's really no one else babyface wise to challenge Mahal for the belt after with AJ being tied up with the US Title, and Nakamura will probably feud with Baron Corbin over the belt after ultimately coming out on top, even though I definitely don't think Corbin is ready. So I think (and hope) a Nakamura win is likely! (just wondering if he can pull a good match out of Mahal)

When it comes to Shinsuke Nakamura, WWE finds itself in an all too familiar situation: WWE is damned if it does and damned if it doesn't. Actually, when you think about it, it's not really a situation so much as it's just the continual state of operations because it seems to be the case for them just about all the time; Group A wants one thing, Group B wants the exact opposite, Group C wants something totally different than either Groups A or B, Group D unrealistically wants a bit of everything, etc. and since not everyone gets what they want, it's time to bitch.

If you read any of the opinions of writers like Dave Meltzer, Wade Keller, Jason Powell, etc. then what you usually see is that they feel Nakamura should've already been elevated to this level almost from the second he arrived on the main roster. Now because of those opinions, in large part, you have a very healthy number of internet fans who believe the same thing as they take the words of these guys as though they're the prophets of wrestling spreading the one and true gospel. On the other hand, you have some fans who don't feel Nakamura is ready as they don't feel he's connected with them in a way they feel is necessary for someone to be in this spot. Some of that due to the language issue as there are fans who simply don't see that a wrestler is truly over unless he/she is able to deliver good performances in promos. Now you also have a lot of fans who're able to make up their own minds in regards to Nakamura and some are into him while some just don't see what the big deal is.

For me personally, here's how I look at Nakamura. I like the guy, he's different, he's a lot of fun to watch inside the ring and he has a lot of natural charisma and personality that shows without really needing to say a word. However, I certainly don't think that he's the be all/end all the way many dirt sheet writers and Japanese wrestling fans have proclaimed him to be. He has a lot of strengths, but he has some significant weaknesses as well; the language barrier is going to prevent him from connecting with some fans, that's just a fact of life as some fans really need that sort of vocal connection. There are different kinds of charisma and means of letting it show, as Nakamura has displayed, but it's not enough for some fans yet you can't be all things to all people. Another weakness is that Nakamura can be a bit careless in the ring and that's simply not a positive trait no matter what. Whether it's been NXT or the main roster, he's injured several guys wrestling that ultra stiff Japanese style; I think maybe he and Cena has a miscommunication on Tuesday as Cena was supposed to flip over as the move was a reverse exploder suplex instead of a standard back suplex. However, if any sort of blame get's laid on anyone, whether it's fair or not, it'll be Nakamura because it's John Cena who got dropped on his head.

But yeah, as I said earlier, WWE is damned if it does or doesn't. If it'd been Cena vs. Mahal, then there'd be complaints of people who're tired of seeing Cena in the main event title spot, there'd be complaints that Nakamura wasn't being "used right" and various other stereotypical complaints of online fans.

I'm glad to see 2 fresh faces battling for the World Championship, but I have to say I really think they're rushing it with Nakamura. He hasn't even been on the main roster for 3 months yet. However, the SD roster is so weak that they might not really have a choice. They kind of backed themselves into a corner with the superstar shakeup and with Cena taking more time off, their only options of top babyface are Styles and Nakamura. There's literally no one else. Luke Harper has the potential, but they don't seem to have any faith in him. In my opinion, the next shakeup can't happen soon enough for Smackdown. Move Orton to Raw and bring bring someone like Balor or Rollins over to take his place. I don't think Wyatt should have been brought over to Raw, but since that ship has sailed, I think Samoa Joe would be a good move to come over to SD and fill that void.

I understand Corbin is going to cash in on Nakamura when he wins the title and they will put on a decent feud for the next 2-3 months to come, but I'm just trying to think beyond that.

NXT doesn't reach the same audience as the main roster but calling it more of "ECW" is a bit of a stretch. NXT is able to draw a crowd on it's own, something ECW couldn't do after it's Honeymoon period, and even drew 15,000 for it's PPV's. ECW could only draw 4,000 in it's only PPV.

Also NXT being on the Network means it's better integrated into the WWE product more so than ECW or OVW ever did.

Anyways even if you compare NXT to ECW remember Sheamus won the WWE Title a couple of months after jumping from ECW to RAW.

I will never see NXT on equal par with RAW and Smackdown until they have a couple of matches (at least the NXT Title) on major PPVs.

Have NXT Takeovers, but for legitimacy, I would like to see an NXT Title Match on the card at Wrestlemania, Summerslam, and most of the other major cards (brand PPVs excluded).

Hell, I think when they used to have "Night Of Champions", shouldn't that have included an NXT World, NXT Tag-Team and NXT Women's Title match, since "every title is on the line"?

When an NXT Title match is on a Wrestlemania, a Summerslam, when an NXT guy can win a guaranteed NXT Title shot at Wrestlemania by winning the Rumble or has their own MITB Ladder Match at the "MITB" PPV, then I will see NXT up-and-comers as being treated legit and not "green" and needing time to establish themselves.

Think what a Nakamura v Roode NXT Title Match would have done for both men if it was at Wrestlemania 33, for example. It gives these guys mainstream attention, and gets the casuals on board. (This can be done in conjunction with NXT Takeover, so Takeover would still happen, but then they would defend it the next night at the PPV).

I was never a fan of Sheamus winning the belt so soon, and I think it hurt his run long-term, and has turned him into a comedy act rather than a monster heel.

I think Nakamura winning the belt too soon will hurt him long-term. What's the hurry? Winning it in two years, for example, will mean even more than winning it four months into his WWE run.

I am not really looking forward to a Baron Corbin title reign at this point tbqh. Totally unexpected, I would really enjoy it if Cena was to goad Corbin into putting the briefcase on the line and ended up winning it off of him at SummerSlam.
Thereafter, have Naks beat Jinder and get cashed in on by John Cena for that Huge #17 title win.

Doubt that happens, tbqh, but a man can dream, can't he? 😆

I'm happy and sad about this match because i see one of two scenario happening here and neither is good for nakamura in the long run.

The first one is pretty simple, Jinder retain's the belt the same way he always does by having the singh bros. interfered which means that Nakamura first lost on the main roster is because of interference and comes at the hands of Jinder mahal. Not a great way to have your first lost on the main roster.

The second one his that Nakamura actually wins the title but baron cash in the money in the bank briefcase on nakamura after the match and wins the title which makes the jinder mahal title reigns mean nothing and nakamura looks like a total idiot for losing the belt seconds after winning it.

Nakamura while i'm not a big fan of him or his style, does have potential to become a big star on the main roster, the fact that Cena went to bat for him and pretty much had the ending of the match change so that nakamura could get the clean win over him says it all. Cena has an eye for this type of things. But then it all depend if they want to continue the jinder experiment or not. Nakamura doesn't seem to be a priority on smackdown, he's there as a top name but that's it. So will see what going to happen in this match, i'm pretty sure this will be a middle of the card match because it doesn't feel like a huge match at all. It's feel more like a thrown together match just like the ziggler vs ambrose title match from last year's summerslam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back