WWE Summerslam: Lumberjack match - Dean Ambrose VS Seth Rollins

fouldsy91

Pre-Show Stalwart
This one has been coming for awhile after The Shield split, and finally this month it will happen.

The lumberjack match stipulation is a bit underwhelming however I guess they needed to get the rest of the card on the show so they can get their SummerSlam pay check.

I think Dean Ambrose will win this match, just because of what he said on Smackdown! and the fact Rollins has technically beat him twice at the past 2 PPVs (Winning the briefcase and the forfeit).

If people missed Smackdown Ambrose swore to God that he would destroy Rollins at SummerSlam, and when wrestlers swear to God, it always seems to happen. Also, Rollins brushed it off and said that whatever happens at SummerSlam he is still the Money in the Bank holder, and if they do eventually have a briefcase match Ambrose has to win this to somehow get a shot at it.

This should be a good match, and I'm picking Dean Ambrose.

Ambrose can't win because that's then the blow-off. So if this feud is done, then Ambrose wins. If this feud has more life, then Rollins wins in a swerve or a maybe a Dusty finish. Either way, I really like the idea of a Rollins cash in on a battered Cena at NoC, so I have Rollins beating Ambrose every time they fight.

At first, I was hoping for Ambrose to pick a Street Fight. With the way they've been building this match up, they would've been perfect for an all-out brawl. But Ambrose's promo on Smackdown tonight, has me sold on the Lumberjack Match. I love the reasons he gave for choosing this match - preventing Rollins from running away again, the roster wanting to see the two destroy each other after all The Shield attacks and beatdowns on them.

I think The Authority will have an ace up their sleeve and one of the babyface Lumberjacks will turn heel and help Rollins defeat Ambrose, joining The Authority.

Ambrose can't win because that's then the blow-off. So if this feud is done, then Ambrose wins. If this feud has more life, then Rollins wins in a swerve or a maybe a Dusty finish. Either way, I really like the idea of a Rollins cash in on a battered Cena at NoC, so I have Rollins beating Ambrose every time they fight.

It doesn't really mean it's the blow off, because Ambrose then has a legitimate claim to being Money in the Bank since he beat the holder. With one less title now I could see them having a Money in the Bank case match at NoC.

Strictly speaking kayfabe, why would Seth Rollins want to fight a guy that literally just beat him, and this time offer up the MitB? Like, how can that be reconciled, again, only in kayfabe, that Ambrose wins at Summerslam and Rollins offers the briefcase as incentive to fight again at NoC?

Oooh yeeah, the slashiest feud in years continues.

I really like these dudes. Rollins' character turn in recent months is interesting and reveals a "little shit" type heel which I think he really works, especially as he looks so not a little shit.

Ambrose is intense AF and reeks of badass like no-one else has in ages. He also has this weirdly humorous side as seen with the whole briefcase popcorn soda salad he concocted on Raw.

I don't mind who wins but I think Rollins does need to look at least somewhat capable against who is fast becoming his arch-nemesis without seeming too amazing (he is the villain in this piece after all). So I would like Rollins to win, but unclean.

If they make MITB defended at NoC Ambrose would be the legit number one contender, or since Dean's a 'lunatic' he taunts Rollins to get what he wants till Rollins caves, like at MITB.

I guess a lumberjack match makes sense so Rollins can't run away but the stipulation is very disappointing. I'm tired of the lumberjack match. I think it has outlived its usefulness. The focus should be on Ambrose and Rollins and I think the lumberjacks will be an unnecessary distraction.

Well. This is gonna be match of the night, I have to say. But a Lumberjack match? Sure it'll keep Rollins from escaping, but I just never got the appeal of these matches. In my opinion, a steel cage would've been even better. Rollins can't escape, and it provides us fans with what could be some great spots. Ambrose has always been my favorite of the Shield. Rollins, well, I just couldn't never get into him that much. Even though he's one of the better high flyers in the WWE right now, even as Mr Money in the Bank, I'm just not feeling it with him. Ambrose is playing the role of a lunatic to perfection. The promos, the attacks both backstage and in-ring, just everything. But I think Ambrose does win this one and I think rematch at Night of Champions with the briefcase on the line, which Rollins wins.

Well. This is gonna be match of the night, I have to say.

I wouldn't bet my money on that though. As the saying goes, the higher the expectation, the greater the disappointment. I don't care who win or lose in this match, I just hope it'd be a good one. This is their very first PPV match against each other, both relatively new potential main-eventers going against each other. There's no seasoned veteran with them to help them out, or give them directions in the ring.

Completely terrible and underwhelming stipulation to this match. I was the most intrigued in this match for this pay-per-view. I loved that they didn't go through with that at Battleground to build the hype further and save it for the bigger show but to reveal that we waited all this time to see a Lumberjack match rather than a Street Fight or something similar and more fitting of this feud's brutality has completely gotten me uninterrestested in this match entirely.

There are never good Lumberjack matches ever, maybe these two are the guys to pull off the greatest lumberjack match in WWE history but that history speaks for itself and has quite a track record. Hoping they pull off some cool things that haven't been done before with this match type, and build their feud some more within the confines of it but my expectations for something great are completely dead. This would not be the case if they could have had a real Street Fight or No DQ type of bout though. Ultimately Rollins takes this one. He has the MITB, he's who they're investing in. Ambrose is nothing more than a little feud for Rollins on his way up the card. Sad but so very true.

Maybe I'm just rationalizing, but the more I think about it, the more i like this idea. I've started to grow a bit tiresome of every main event style match spilling out of the ring. Doing spots and taking bumps that have been done sooooooo many times that they don't even look like they hurt for real. These are the kind of guys I want to watch in the ring. Sure they'll get tossed out a couple of times. There will be a couple of quick beatdowns and we'll see a killer high spot or two, but the number of bodies will limit the amount of time spent at ringside slamming each other into padded barricades.

Maybe it falls flat, but LA usually has a pretty "smarky" crowd so maybe they'll win them over.

Crap stipulation. Lumberjack matches grind to a halt when guys get thrown outside. Protective babyfaces and clubbing blows from the heels. Yawn.

I'd have had a straight match with the stipulation being that Rollins loses the briefcase if he gets counted out, disqualified, etc.

My initial reaction was that a lumberjack match is a bit underwhelming. But when you consider that Seth Rollins has been "running" from Ambrose since screwing him over, it makes sense from the perspective of the story that's being told. Also, a lumberjack match is a way of protecting both wrestlers, no matter which one comes out on the losing end. Towards the end of the match, I'd say that the lumberjacks will all begin brawling outside the ring and the referee will be trying to gain some measure of order. After all, they're not "supposed" do be fighting with each other, yet neither Ambrose or Rollins can be disqualified for what the lumberjacks are doing to each other. Still, it's in the "nature" of the ref to restore order. As this is going on, someone can jump into the ring, nail one of them with a chair, hit his finisher on one of them or do just enough to provide a suitable distraction so that Ambrose or Rollins can hit his finisher on the other while the ref's back is turned.

Ultimately, I see Rollins picking up the win here because I don't see this being a single match feud. One thing I've found kind of interesting is that, the past week or two, JBL has mentioned that Rollins hasn't been pinned or submitted since joining The Authority as an indication that he's made the "right career move." I think that will play a role in this match, allowing Rollins to escape with a victory that doesn't look cheap while simultaneously protecting Ambrose from looking weak.

Plus, Rollins has his MITB briefcase and while there's been no word, rumor or backstage whisper that he'll attempt to use it at SummerSlam, it's entirely possible. After all, no matter who wins between Cena & Lesnar, you know that the winner will be battered, sore, nearly exhausted and Rollins cashing in on Cena or Lesnar would generate a MASSIVE reaction. Ambrose could be battered down as a result of his match with Rollins, thereby unable to stop Rollins from cashing in. If Lesnar wins, which I think is possible, WWE could then go with the idea that The Authority decided to double cross Paul Heyman because they don't trust him. The Authority could also explain that Cena was right in that Lesnar is a hired mercenary with no allegiance to WWE or anyone else.

As a result, Lesnar is screwed over, yet stays in the title picture since he'd be a former champion. Cena, depending upon whether or not he'll take some extended time off in order to film his parts in the movie he's doing, could be written off TV with injuries, leading to Rollins vs. Lesnar at NOC, possibly even Dean Ambrose might be squeezed in there to make it a triple threat match so that Lesnar doesn't have to be the one to take the loss, he disappears for the rest of the year and comes back during the build for WrestleMania season. Cena makes his return and by this time, Roman Reigns could find himself in the middle of the title picture and, as I said, Ambrose might be in there as well and that gives people the potential three way feud between Shield members they've wanted to see.

That's just pure conjecture on my part but, if that's anything resembling what's planned to go down, I just think it'll ultimately look better if Rollins is successful in getting past Ambrose earlier in the night in a way that results in him being unable to foil Rollins' attempt to cash in.

Lumberjack matches have really sucked in the past few years. The Lumberjacks are usually an equal number of faces and heels, and most of the time they just stand there and watch when someone falls out, and if one of them goes to do his job, he is the one that gets beaten up while the others watch. And then there is this possibility of the lumberjacks picking sides and fighting among themselves, which makes the whole thing look chaotic and stupid. This time I'm sure one of the spots will be Rollins doing a suicide dive over the top rope on all of the jobberjacks and making them look even more like losers. I hope this time we will see the clowns act neutrally and give both competitors a thorough beating a couple of times each at least. That's the most entertaining part about a Lumberjack match, and a match of this stipulation which is devoid of the group assault feels quite unsatisfying and anti-climatic.

This match is curious. I think the lumberjack match will ensure it won't be an absolute classic but it can still be of high quality. I think there must be something planned involving the lumberjacks. It would be a great way for Rollins to win the match but for the feud to continue. Maybe someone (e.g. Cesaro) directly getting involved into the match and costing Ambrose.

Of course, they could simply have Ambrose win and Rollins put up the briefcase the next time. That works too.

20140804_LIGHT_SS_matches_AmbroseRollins_Sponsered_Homepage.jpg

Here we go! This is the match I am looking forward to the most out of anything on the card. Part of the reason is how incredibly talented both wrestlers are, this feud has really given them a chance to show what they can do. The other portion of the reason is that we were deprived of this match at Battleground. If you advertise a match, it needs to actually take place. The best part of the build was Ambrose putting the popcorn and JBL's hat inside Seth's briefcase, that was hilarious. I doubt that it ends here. Seth will likely win this particular match, but it continues to Night of Champions where their final match of the feud might end up being for the briefcase itself. That is, unless Seth cashes in at this show. More on that in Cena VS Lesnar. I see Seth winning, he needs it for when he will cash in whether it is at Summerslam 2014 itself or not. They need to be building him up as a future World Heavyweight Champion by winning high profile matches like this one. Dean still needs to be booked strongly even if he loses. It will probably go on in the second half of the evening and has the potential to steal the show. I can't wait!

DAGGER'S PREDICTION
Seth Rollins will defeat Dean Ambrose.

I got Ambrose with the win since MITB winners usually go on a losing streak.

Their feud would be far from over though. I could see the final match taking place at NoC, where Rollins lose the final match between the two but later cashes in on the WWE WHC at the end of the night

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back