WWE, Shawn Michaels, and Promo video's

Ferbian

Has Returned.
Now I normally love going over promo video's for past and upcoming pay per views where the promo video circulates around a specific rivalry.
And I've noticed something, while there's certainly some great promo video's for different wrestlers, Undertaker gets some nice promo video's, the Bret Hart Vs Vince McMahon feud currently going into Wrestlemania has a fairly decent video.

But looking back at the numerous video's there's been made, there's 1 guy's video's that stand above all others when it comes to being sheer awesomeness, and really filling that makes you sit back, watch it, and afterwards simply go "damn"

And I'm talking about Shawn Michaels, I cannot remember seeing 1 single promo video that didn't make me go "damn" when it involved Shawn Michaels.
We got the Promo video for Undertaker Vs Shawn Michaels II, which was absolutely awesome, perhaps one of the better ones of Shawn Michaels promos if you ask me.
And we got the numerous video's from the past during Triple H and Shawn's bitter rivalry that ran its course on and off between 2002 and 2004, resulting in numerous awesome matches, and awesome promos, one that stands out to me would be the Royal Rumble 2004 video (Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tXt7_u5EsA&feature=related)

And there's of course numerous other memorable promos that could be mentioned, such as the one between Hulk Hogan and Shawn Michaels for Summerslam 2005, and the Kurt Angle vs Shawn Michaels for Wrestlemania 21, and the list goes on.

Now I ask you, is WWE on purpose making Shawn Michaels promo video's more memorable and "breathe taking" than the others?
And if yes, is it just for the sake of making them better because he's one of the most beloved veterans in the WWE over the past many years, or is it because it's a way of having Vince honor his favorite wrestler of all time?

OH MY GAWD.

Somebody else sees it. About fucking time.

The WWE definately does this. Shawn Michaels gets special treatment because Vince adores him. He gets more ring time than Vince would allow most people because it makes Michaels look like he's a cut above. And to build it up, we're reminded on a yearly basis or semi-yearly basis that Michaels is the most talented wrestler ever and that he never lets people down with his matches and that he steals every show he's on. Now it's not that I dislike Michaels, but I've said for years that his matches and ability aren't allowed to stand on their own and speak for themself. Michaels is adored as much as he is, in part at least, because of how well he's hyped up and because of how good video packages allow people to feel comfortable with saying Michaels is great.

I love Michaels, but he is over-hyped. Yet nobody seems to notice because they're blinded by the hype.

There is no doubt that Vince pays close attention to how the promo videos turn out and the fact that he has a soft spot for HBK, but one also has to admit that Shawn really knows how to work the camera. His facial expressions and subtle movements really make it easy for the guys in the editing room to piece together some phenomenal videos. I can remember when he had just finished super kicking Hogan and all he did was stand over his body, but it really made the action feel important for some reason. It is almost inexplicable, but the guy is one of the few who is just damn good at everything so whether you hate the man for his politicking or love him for his in ring work, this guy deserves everything he gets.

Well,it is the frequent case that WWE does that for certain "beloved" wrestlers.Just look at Cenas wrestlemania entrances.Last year Edge and Show just walked in and then Cena steals the match with entrance only.When I saw the entrance,I knew who is gona win the match(well its not new that in wrestlemania face almost always wins against heels but still...)

As for Michaels,I think it goes with the gimick(showstopper,mr wrestlemania) and he centarly deserves good hype that goes with the promo and everything but you are right that his promos are usually more hyped than the others and they are always trying to do that.I agree with NEPCEW that it is probably because of Vince and his "love" for Michaels and all that he has and is doing for the company

HBKs promos are great, and I think a large part of that is he gives them great material to work with, he's untouchable in the ring, his out of the ring segments always keep your attention. So when its time for the guys in the truck to go threw the footage and come up with a promo for the storyline or ppv they have nothing but gold to work with.

Other wrestlers might not have as many "wow" moments in the ring, or thier out of ring segments are repetative and/or boreing so the crew making the promo have to shift threw more carefully and look harder for the few good gems to make a nice video package. For example you dont see many cena packages of his in ring stuff unless its of him doing his finisher, batista packages tend to be opposite of cenas and dont show case as much out of the ring segments, and focus on more shots of him doing something powerfull.

Shawns promos are above par mainly because he gives vince and his crew so much material to work with.

Shawn Michael's talent is hyped because the fans have declared him to be great. Vince doesn't have the announcers constantly tout his accolaides simply because he loves HBK, but because fans have been shouting it and it would be ridiculous not to. In addition, I can't remember a single wrestler who has ever stepped foot in the ring that the accouncers haven't hyped. Does HBK get special treatment? Absolutely not. He is a legend who has done so much it would be stupid not to acknowledge all that he has done.

I have seen many other video packages for wrestlers that have been decent, but the question of whether or not HBK's promos get more work done to them than other wrestlers' is idiotic. WWE hypes ALL of their storylines, they want to draw attention to everything they do to make a profit. If you find yourself not liking other wrestler's video packages it is because the feud itself is poor. Those videos take clips of what the wrestlers have done and package them together with music and atmospheric graphics. HBK-Undertaker is the best thing going, and obviously the video package reflects that.

To those of you thinking HBK gets special treatment, shouldn't HHH's promos with Sheamus be just as awe-inspiring? You'd think so, but they're not because the storyline itself isn't as captivating.

You know I love watching the promo videos and can watch em for hours on end on youtube and the one thing I do notice about some of HBK's match promo vids is that whoever does them loves to stress the dichotomy of Shawn Michaels as a wrestler.

We all know that early on Shawn was the brash young SOB who seemed disrespectful and blah blah blah. He leaves with the injury in 1998 and comes back 4 years later, he's religious and mature. Well this is the kind of stuff that the editors love to play on because the fans love to see the hero get caught up in his own hype but rectify himself. With Shawn Michaels I think people personally identify with him because he's the most human like wrestler in the business, and he's been in the business for so long and hasn't catered his image to a certain demo that his fans have been able to remain loyal.

Shawn isnt overhyped you give any big match or big star more time to give more moments/spots etc in the match, just like the longest matches on any basic PPV are the two title bouts, That's like sayin HIAC (back in the day) is overhyped and extended as a match so it's not as good as the hype

but no Shawn really is that good, he's the best on the mic right now and makes you feel the emotion in his storylines, segments he just knows how to play his part be it heel or face and well

I completely agree - no one does promos in the business quite like Shawn Michaels; his are ALWAYS on top, especially for big match situations. Last year against The Undertaker, he had my best promos of all time. Part of it may be McMahon hyping the match (He IS always involved in high profile matches), and Shawn as being a great wrestler but a lot of it is simply Shawn himself. Few people can cut a promo like Shawn can - he's the only person I've ever legit believed could have beaten The Undertaker at Wrestlemania and a lot of that is down to him as a star and how he can make you believe that in a way no other wrestler can.

For anyone saying HBK is overrated name me one wrestler who can build an entire fued by himself over a month while his opponent isn't even in the building like he did with Hogan in 05? Not even the Rock or Stone Cold could have done that as they need their opponent to feed off of and respond to their gimmicks.

HBK's promo's are the best because he is the greatest overall performer (in ring and promo wise) to step foot in a WWF/E ring.

I definitely agree with many of the points made concerning the quality and depth of the WWE'S promo videos on Shawn Michaels. From my point of view, the videos that focus on Shawn and the feuds that he engages in ranks among some of the best promotional videos that are made in the wrestling buisness. The WWE have also done a terrific job in producing videos that focused on Stone Cold Steve Austin as well as the phenom, the Undertaker, especially those videos that promoted the Undertaker's return to the deadman gimmick during the weeks leading up to his bout with Kane at Wrestlemania 20. The question that I have for those that responded to this thread is whether or not any of you know the theme that was used in HBK's tribute video this past monday night on Raw. I really loved the musical theme or score that was played, but I've had difficult time in ascertaining the name of that score.

I think there are different things at work here...

I don't think it's so much Vince but the guys who are working on the packages who clearly love Shawn... they likely grew up idolising him and now they get paid to do "fan site" style videos every week... if you can do one for the guy who inspired your career, its going to be better than anyone elses...

I think there is an element of Vince paying homage to a kid he sees as his own... no doubt he and Shawn are close, after 22 years of knowing each other they are bound to be... I doubt Vince "wanted to be Shawn" as he has long stated he would have loved to be like Ted DiBiase but I am sure Shawn's passion matches Vinces in the latter's eyes.

Also, its a story of serendipity and Vince's luck... in 91 it was slated to be Shane Douglas who was gonna be the Heartbreak Kid, a rock-star character with gigs etc... things went a long way down the road when Shane's dad got sick and he wanted to spend his last months caring for him... Douglas left and Shawn got the modified role... Scary to think how different the world could have been...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back