WWE Region, Milwaukee Subregion, Second Round: (3) Andre the Giant vs. (14) Big Show

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Andre the Giant

• Big Show

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a second round match in the WWE Region, Milwaukee Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under WWE Rules. It will be held at the Bradley Center in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

bradley%20center%204.widea.jpg

Andre_display_image.jpg

#3. Andre the Giant

Vs.

The-Big-Show.jpg

#14. Big Show

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

I love this match-up. The only thing I don't love about it is the photos in the OP. These photos are not how these guys should be viewed for this match, because it appears to be a battle between two slow and overly-methodical plodders. In their true primes, both of these men were INSANELY athletic.

Andre-the-Giant.jpg

4123328.jpg

Better.

I provided my top 5 Superheavyweights of all time in another thread (Vader, Andre, Bam Bam, Yokozuna, Paul Wight), so this match features two of the 5. Both men could legitimately go in their day, and there are many who feel that "The Giant" Paul Wight ended up being the evolution of Andre the Giant - similar in size, stature, etc, but with some medical advances, vastly less injury-prone with a longer, more enjoyable career.

Still, I am going to vote for Andre, but my a slim margin. In the 70's and early 80's whether it was facing a heel Hogan at Shea Stadium for performing in front of 100,000 in Tokyo, Andre was a terrifying force in the ring. He RARELY lost, and when he did, it was in territories on non-televised matches. In the 70's he was scary agile, bigger than almost anyone, andjust plain dominant.

If someone argues that The Giant circa 1996-2000 was bigger, stronger, more agile, smarter, etc. I am fine with it, but in this case I'm handing the vote to the all time legend.

If someone argues that The Giant circa 1996-2000 was bigger, stronger, more agile, smarter, etc. I am fine with it, but in this case I'm handing the vote to the all time legend.

I was going to make these arguments but I will just piggy back here. This would be an epic battle and while the old school in me wants to vote Andre I have to give the slight edge to Show.

These two have met before, and I'll say now what I said then: The Big Show is better than Andre the Giant. The obvious draw of both of these guys is their size, and regardless of their billed height and weight, one only needs to see how they stood next to Hogan to see that Show is legitimately bigger. Show is obviously better on the mic too, but that's not that relevant. The Big Show was also probably stronger and definitely more athletic than Andre.

I know Andre was a bigger draw, but I honestly believe that this is one area in wrestling where you can say if Paul Wight was 20 years older, he'd have been a global phenomenon. Andre is a fantastic wrestler that rightly deserves our plaudits as an icon, but I just think that The Big Show is a more impressive human being and wrestler and thus deserves to go over a guy who's popularity largely stemmed from being an impressive human being and wrestler.

Since his debut, The Big Show has defeated pretty much every person who is anyone in wrestling. For what it's worth, he beat a certain Hulk Hogan for the World Title on that very night. Among the names he has defeated, there is a long list of giants and monsters who The Big Show has swatted away. I reckon he'd do the same to Andre.

Andre is/was a bigger "star" but The Big Show was overall more skilled and indeed impressive. Andre was a special attraction and, even though The Big Show benefited from the same breaks in wrestling, he stayed at the top because of his talent and versatility.

These two have met before, and I'll say now what I said then: The Big Show is better than Andre the Giant. The obvious draw of both of these guys is their size, and regardless of their billed height and weight, one only needs to see how they stood next to Hogan to see that Show is legitimately bigger. Show is obviously better on the mic too, but that's not that relevant. The Big Show was also probably stronger and definitely more athletic than Andre.

I know Andre was a bigger draw, but I honestly believe that this is one area in wrestling where you can say if Paul Wight was 20 years older, he'd have been a global phenomenon. Andre is a fantastic wrestler that rightly deserves our plaudits as an icon, but I just think that The Big Show is a more impressive human being and wrestler and thus deserves to go over a guy who's popularity largely stemmed from being an impressive human being and wrestler.

I only vote for wrestlers I've met and whose hand engulf mine by a huge margin. You too, right?

Still, I'm going to be voting for The Big Show, or Paul White as he may be prefer to be called. And it all comes down to the fact that I believe Paul White to be the more agile and the man with more stamina. This match will undoubtedly be a war from start to finish. Both men will use their power to try and dominate the other but neither man will be able to. These two are far too similar in far too many ways to be judged effectively. But I think that, in this battle of wills, the stamina of Paul White would be the deciding factor. Whilst both men would be gassed towards the end, I believe that Paul White would have a little more in the tank.

I only vote for wrestlers I've met and whose hand engulf mine by a huge margin. You too, right?

Still, I'm going to be voting for The Big Show, or Paul White as he may be prefer to be called. And it all comes down to the fact that I believe Paul White to be the more agile and the man with more stamina. This match will undoubtedly be a war from start to finish. Both men will use their power to try and dominate the other but neither man will be able to. These two are far too similar in far too many ways to be judged effectively. But I think that, in this battle of wills, the stamina of Paul White would be the deciding factor. Whilst both men would be gassed towards the end, I believe that Paul White would have a little more in the tank.

Without a doubt, my exact reasoning. Big Show's a pretty agile guy when it comes to it, Andre to me always seem clunky. Whilst they're both monsters in their own right, I feel like eventually, Big Show would be the guy that takes down Andre.

I've read a lot of things (and saw a picture of him next to Wilt Chamberlin) that say Andre didn't even clip 7 feet. Big Show is the larger man, who has a more impressive list of victories. Andre was obviously a bigger draw though.

On the physical side and the impressive victories side, I lean Big Show.

BUT Andre was such a better draw.

This is a very intriguing matchup that I'll really have to think about.

When Big Show has been at his best he's one of the best the industry has ever seen. The problem is he hasn't always been at his best. There have been multiple times throughout his career where he has gotten overweight or sloppy and has been pushed down the card. Andre was always a main event guy and always a huge draw. That consistency gives him the nod for me.

I don't think there's a wrong vote in this one.

Andre seems like the most likely choice to me for the passing voter, but Big Show's career is only strengthening day-by-day. He is a solid hand and a more-than-solid worker who's tenure suffers due to exposure and the time-frame in which he competes.

Let's not make any mistakes, he's had as many good patches as bad. During his series of matches with Mark Henry a couple of years back, the ring work was hella over and he's pt in good performances as well as bad since. But Andre was far from infallible and the fond memory remember what it will.

Both are really legends in the scheme of things, but I feel that one of those men has contributed more to ensuring that legendary status and that is The Big Show.

Andre is the bigger "legend", that's obvious. He's one of those guys who'd probably be on the "Mount Rushmore" of wrestling icons, along with Hogan, Austin etc. But I truly believe that an in-prime Big Show is better.

Paul Wight was billed as Andre's "son" due to his immense size, but it was his athleticism that made him stand out. Back in the late 1990s, Show was was a fantastic athlete, and a man his size shouldn't have been able to do what he did. I know he's piled alot of weight on for long periods of his career, and his offense these days is very dull, but Andre slowed down alot during his career too as he got older and heavier.

Wight defeated Hogan in his WCW debut, and Andre's biggest moment came at WM3 when he LOST to Hogan, plus Show's resume of championship gold dwarfs Andre's list of accolades.

Andre has done alot more for putting wrestling on the map and will go down as a bigger name in history, but you shouldn't underestimate the Big Show. He was the better athlete, the more entertaining performer and due to his size would have been able to hit his Chokeslam on Andre. I have to vote for Wight in this.

Andre was undefeated for 15 fucking years. And he was Fezzik in one of my favorite movies of all time.

Besides beating Hogan to win the World Title in his first match and breaking the ring with Lesnar, Big Show is more a blur of babyface/heel turns, tears, and unfunny comedy segments in my mind.

Going Andre. Anybody want a peanut?

Andre was undefeated for 15 fucking years. And he was Fezzik in one of my favorite movies of all time.

Besides beating Hogan to win the World Title in his first match and breaking the ring with Lesnar, Big Show is more a blur of babyface/heel turns, tears, and unfunny comedy segments in my mind.

Going Andre. Anybody want a peanut?

He was Fezzik, sure.

But Big Show was Capt. Insano. The Waterboy will not be ignored.

My #1 Big Show memory is him chokeslamming Kurt onto the concrete on Smackdown when he was GM Angle. Brutal man, brutal.

Agile? Andre could hit drop kicks. He could sprint around the ring chasing men half his size. And assuming Big Show is actually bigger than Andre, when did that start to matter? Is Big Show going to hit a chokeslam? How far does Andre have to bend over so that Show can hit an effective looking knockout punch? Big Show lost to Zack Gowan. Every minor tremor that has occurred over the last 15 years has occurred because Andre is rolling over in his grave at the career of Big Show.

There are huge Arguements for both sides on this one..Andre was world renowned and everywhere he went he drew big,and always main event status.Show came in with a bang beating Hogan for a world title and stayed main event level,even in his twilight years of now he still working with the big talent..
Big show will edge it for me but I don't think there is a right and wrong vote here

Anyone who calls Andre clunky clearly never saw him run from Jake Roberts pet python in the Royal Rumble. I've never seen a big man move so fast.

That small bit aside, I've never seen Andre made to look like a comedy sideshow the way Big Show has in the past. Sure it was funny at times, like the time he was The Showster and came to the ring in full Hogan gear, but the fact remains that outside a few spells of dominance, Show has been played as more of a jobber to the stars than actual force, and I say that as a guy who actual enjoys the guy(minus his current status that no one enjoys).

Big Show is a Hall of Famer, but he never had an entire Hall of Fame created for him.

I don't think voting Show is bad, but I'm going Andre.

TFNbj0t.gif

Couple that with the loads of Face/Heel turns... and the fact that Andre the Giant has always seemed to be the best known Wrestler amongst older casuals and such... I think I'll be going with Andre in this one, but it is definitely close.

This is my matchup of the round. I've voted Andre here mainly for his lasting impact. As others have rightly said, if Big Show was 20 years older he'd be in Andre's position. But alas he's not.

I have met the Big Show though, he's got big hands. He's look kinds stupid with small hands.

The Big Show hasn't got as casual appeal like Andre. I've seen fuck all Andre matches except the Hogan Wrestlemania 3 one but the guy was a great cross promotional talent. Put it this way the only wrestlers who have crossed over into films and be noteworthy are The Rock (he's made an entire career out of it) Hogan for Rocky 3 (does anyone else remember anything else Hogan did) and Andre in Princess Bride. Heck Andre has his face plastered ever thanks to Shepherd Fairy and his Obey design. Now if that isn't cross promotional I don't know what is. And Big Show ain't got shit in that department. You think people are going to be talking about Knucklehead in five years. They don't talk about Knucklehead now.

I'm righting the wrong from years ago when I voted Big Show over Andre. Andre should win. He was more popular, was more consistent, had more longevity as a bigger star, and had a more profound impact on the industry. Big Show has more accolades, but Andre didn't need world titles to make himself into a big name. Big Show did. Undertaker is closer to Andre's level than Show.

Andre wins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back