Which do you prefer??

• MA-14

• PG

• Both

• ANYTHING beats the current path!!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
As of late, there've been several threads popping up usually hating on the PG Eras, praising the Attitude Era, loving both or whatever. That's all well and good, nothing wrong with liking one over the other. However, the threads are so repetetive in the sense that the responses are almost always about defending one era and hating on the other.

Again, nothing wrong with that but there are soooooooo friggin' many of them lately and there's no reason for it. There's no new insight being presented, no new theories as to why one is better than the other; it's just the same old recycled shit and all these threads are cluttering the forums.

You wanna hate or praise the various "Eras" of WWE, just keep it all in here because it's gotten almost as bad as all the various anti-Cena threads that used to dominate this section.

As of late, there've been several threads popping up usually hating on the PG Eras, praising the Attitude Era, loving both or whatever. That's all well and good, nothing wrong with liking one over the other. However, the threads are so repetetive in the sense that the responses are almost always about defending one era and hating on the other.

Again, nothing wrong with that but there are soooooooo friggin' many of them lately and there's no reason for it. There's no new insight being presented, no new theories as to why one is better than the other; it's just the same old recycled shit and all these threads are cluttering the forums.

You wanna hate or praise the various "Eras" of WWE, just keep it all in here because it's gotten almost as bad as all the various anti-Cena threads that used to dominate this section.

I just want to say thank you, Jack-Hammer. There's so many damn repetitive threads created around here, especially about the eras, this needed to happen.

Each thread had/has it's good points and it's bad points. It's ups and downs. I agree that the ratings were so much better back in the attitude era, but does that make the programming better? Yes and no.

Hulk Hogan is easily one of the biggest names in professional wrestling ever, but his prime was before the Attitude Era.

Now we're constantly in a debate whether today's wrestling is the "Reality Era" or still the PG Era.

Who cares people? Just watch and enjoy. :)

I think it was absolute garbage up until around summer last year. At least that is when I started actually being able to watch it again. I still remember after not watching it for a while hearing the FU being called the AA and think wtf happened? That being said Im starting to not watch as much as usual but it might just be I have been busy.

It's funny when people are so eager to turn every buzzword into an era. When CM Punk started talking about reality, we're suddenly in the "Reality Era". Is the WWE any less fake than it was before? When Brock Lesnar claimed that he was legitimizing the WWE, people were calling it the "Era of Legitimacy". Brock is an anomaly. The few matches left on his contract are going to be the only "legitimate fights". Eras should mainly be reflected on after they've passed.

Like Sweep the Leg said "Just watch and enjoy".

I for one, don't HATE anything of the WWE. I am a still a fan at the end of the day, whether Santino is beating someone's butt or Austin is beating the hell out of someone's ass!

WWE changes with the times. At one time, it was all about Hogan. Then the cartoony gimmicks came along in the early 90s. Then, when Hogan left, they had to build new stars out of guys like Michaels and Hart. A sort of dark period stuck around till about '96-'97, but you still watched. When Austin came out, the raunchy swearing, violent Attitude Era came and produced stars like Rock and HHH among others. Then the product shifted to WWE in 2002, along with the first ever draft. We had the brand split, and the Ruthless Aggression Era that was a little less edgy than the AE, but still, you watched. It gave us stars like Cena and Batista. ECW came back briefly for about 4 year. From 2008 to today, we've shifted to HD, had NXT, and have a fresh crop of new stars coming like Sheamus and Dolph Ziggler. And through this period, regardless of if you like it or not, you still watch.

The point I am trying to make is even though WWE has gone through many changes over the years, you still watch. Regardless of of who's performing, what color the ropes are, etc, you still watch because you're a fan. Sure, like many of you, I prefer the Attitude Era over any other era, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to watch it now. I still love WWE!

well given everyone's rush to call everything an era, i guess we could call the last few weeks, the beginning of the "gee this show sucks" era. or maybe we could call it the "wwe goes into cruise control in may and june" era. and while it's good that there is no "untouchable" within WWE's talent roster and that should be a good thing, we are also into the "we willingly suspend top talent when we need them most" era. right now, the product is bad, and if that turns into an era, than we have something to really talk about. if i am carter, bischoff, hogan jarrett and whoever else runs tna, its time to put on a good show because your competition is cracking the door open. In july/august it will be summerslam time and brock and maybe rock will be dusted off. and not long after that its suvivor series time and before you know it, it's royal rumble and then it's wrestlemania. the product will pick up for those events but TNA has a small window tonight to make a difference, i for one will be watching with interest.

It feels too soon to label this era, at least to me, but I also feel like the Era is quietly preparing to come to an end of some kind. Maybe it's because Vince is getting older and older - maybe it's because of the push of new talent up the company's rosters. In any case, I imagine in a year or two from now, things will be different, whether for good or for bad, and that's when I'll be looking back at the time now to judge it.

AE was definitely the best, though...the storylines were so fresh and dynamic and they did such a good job of putting everyone over, not just their 1 or 2 top stars. I hope that Creative can pick itself up and reach those heights again.

I for one am not going to argue over what era is better than the other. Sometimes when I talk wrestling on the job, I come across old timers who say that wrestling nowadays is "phony" and "garbage" and wrestling was better when Bruno Sammartino was wrestling. I live in NYC so a lot of these old assholes love Bruno. I hate old people interrupting my conversation( just kidding!), But I hate to hear older people say their generations whatever is better. You can't convince them that Stone Cold would stomp a mudhole in Bruno's ass and walk it dry! But seriously, whatever you call an era, wrestling is wrestling if your a fan. One era isn't better than the next. Do we suffer from some lean years? Sure, but we still watch right? I'm sure if I ask the five year old me, I would say the 80's are the greatest! If I'd ask the 17 year old me, I would say 'Attitude Era' beats all that kiddie stuff that five year old me loves. Thirty two year old me just wants to sit back and appreciate it for what it's worth. All eras produce some great stars and great moments. Some more magical than others and we can argue all day about what era had the greatest roster but at the end of the day what's it all worth? Monday evening, I know where you'll be...

It's funny when people are so eager to turn every buzzword into an era. When CM Punk started talking about reality, we're suddenly in the "Reality Era". Is the WWE any less fake than it was before? When Brock Lesnar claimed that he was legitimizing the WWE, people were calling it the "Era of Legitimacy". Brock is an anomaly. The few matches left on his contract are going to be the only "legitimate fights". Eras should mainly be reflected on after they've passed.

Like Sweep the Leg said "Just watch and enjoy".

Yeah I'd say precisely what we are in would be more of a social media era. I mean half their storylines are being formed online via twitter, the company is doing ppv pre-shows again online for everyone in the world to easily see. They mention twitter non stop, they made all those youtube series. This ain't no reality era or legit era, its simply a social media era.

Just my 2 cents on the "pg era" (this is directed to people on youtube because i'm sick of seeing 'Hurr today sucks PG', for everyone bitching about the pg era that was pretty much 2009 and maybe a bit into 2010. You can't say its still the pg era since allot of the hate from 2009 ended once linda's campaign failed. Okay you might find the product bad still but you can't blame the TV rating, you can blame the writers for coming up with the same repetitive shit, hell once you get your head out of your ass you realize the company had just as much but shit over every single year as we have in the present year, don't let nostalgia cloud your view on the present.

I'm sure five years from now everyone will be bitching about the 2017 product and will be going 'man 2011/2 was a much better, it was no attitude era but still much better then the current product' because /life

I think its really unfair to label any Era for which was better than the other. I too get sick of people on Youtube if there's a Match or Promo from the mid-late 90's to early-mid 2000's saying oh this was when Wrestling was Cool and I miss the Attitude Era. The people who say that probably only watched it when Austin was at his peak,when The Rock got Huge,when DX invaded WCW,and when Wrestling was "Cool".

Ive been watching Wrestling for 20 something years now and I have enjoyed whatever Era we have been in overall. Wether it was the 80's,the New Generation,the Attitude Era,the post WCW/ECW/Attitude Era,the Brand Era,and the PG/Reality Era. Like someone said just watch & enjoy.

there is no competition for wwe anymore and that's really what it comes down to its not about the era's 96-97 wcw was kicking wwe ass and they had to do something to make us tune in .the writers had to step there game up each and every week giving us reason to watch because if it's weak where going to watch wcw and the nwo once Vince became king of the Monday night wars the hunger stopped and now its all about making money and it's not about pleasing us anymore because Vince is the king and we are all fans at the end of the day so all we can do is sit back and wait for a storyline we like

I'm sick to death of all of this era bullshit. What does it matter? Yes the attitude era was great and all but the last few years haven't been all that bad. Hell this last year has been awesome. We've seen the rise of some pretty talented stars. CM Punk has been champ for awhile now and Daniel Bryan is in the main event. The Rock came back, Brock came back, Paul Heyman came back. Nash came.... oh wait never mind. But I've been watching for over 10 years now. I've watched youtube videos from every past era and it's hard to say which one was better per say. I've enjoyed WWE period. No whining, bitching, or moaning. I've enjoyed it especially in the last year. Cena has fallen from grace so what's there to complain about right now. Just sit back, shut up, put your keyboards down, turn off the computer, and enjoy the product. :)

I'm sick to death of all of this era bullshit. What does it matter? Yes the attitude era was great and all but the last few years haven't been all that bad. Hell this last year has been awesome. We've seen the rise of some pretty talented stars. CM Punk has been champ for awhile now and Daniel Bryan is in the main event. The Rock came back, Brock came back, Paul Heyman came back. Nash came.... oh wait never mind. But I've been watching for over 10 years now. I've watched youtube videos from every past era and it's hard to say which one was better per say. I've enjoyed WWE period. No whining, bitching, or moaning. I've enjoyed it especially in the last year. Cena has fallen from grace so what's there to complain about right now. Just sit back, shut up, put your keyboards down, turn off the computer, and enjoy the product. :)

You got to look at the overall depth of not just the attitude era roster, but the golden era, and the ruthless aggression era roster. It was packed with game-changing talent, characters that are just about impossible to create today. Where in today's era, can we find a hogan, warrior, flair, undertaker, jake the snake, macho man, andrei the giant, stone cold, rock, HHH, kurt angle, lesnar, benoit, eddie, masked kane, DX, we add the commentary talent of JR, king, bobby, mean gene, that was naming some of the stars and commentary team of all 3 era's. Since 1990 all the way up to 2004, the talent the WWF/E had, was so unique, so brilliant, the WWE will always find it hard to find those stars. They just do not exist anymore, and it is not the company's fault, the standards went to such heights, it is impossible to set that standard of talent again

my Fave was the Attitude Era mainly because it produced the most entertaining wrestlers and intriguing storylines like Mcmahon V. Austin, the Ministry, Austin/Rock fued, DX, Screwjob, Owens death which is nothing to brag about but means alot to me, Kanes debut, Commisioner Shawn, The arrival of the Radicals, Kurts debut, Ultimate tag division, Divas actually interesting and so much more. In my opinion all of these things made me proud and happy to be a WWF fan and wanting to watch all the time. The classic years as well s the new generation didnt intrigue me but I respect them much. Also th ruthless agression and the PG era isnt all too interesting to me though its created some stars in Cena, Orton and Bastista. The last 2 years have been up and down for me. Like most of the time its boring but I enjoyed Age of Orton, Summer of Punk, Cena vs. Punk, Rock and Brock fueds have been exciting but thats all.

There is no PG Era. I don't understand how you wrestling experts can't grasp this. WCW and WWE were PG for most of the 90s. Smackdown's been PG since 2000. If anything it's called the Universe Era since WWE has referred to the fans as the WWE Universe every week since they went HD in January 2008.

The Attitude Era was indeed great but it's not coming back. It ended 11 years ago so people need to get over it. And why do people overlook the Ruthless Aggression era from 2002-2006? If the current product was half of what that era was things would be so much better. They need better talent and Stephanie away from creative.

The Attitude Era will always be looked back on as the "best time in WWF/E".... The depth of the roster was un-real... You tuned in week in & week out to see what was going to happen next.... At the time, WWE was competing with WCW for Ratings so they had motivation to "roll the dice" and make changes on the fly.... Now-a-days, in the PG era, where you have a handful of words you can say, no chair shots to the head, no blood, etc it's just not as exciting as it used to be.... Granted it took a turn for the good when CM Punk was "about to leave" WWE and got on the mic and talked "real" things. That's what we need now. Storylines that push the envelope and question whether he said/did was actually part of a script or not... Like that one guy said, I still watch it week after week... At times I find it really boring and question where they are going, and honestly I don't even think they know at times..... The depth in todays roster is lacking a lot.....And that's what is hurting them the most.

There is no PG Era. I don't understand how you wrestling experts can't grasp this. WCW and WWE were PG for most of the 90s. Smackdown's been PG since 2000. If anything it's called the Universe Era since WWE has referred to the fans as the WWE Universe every week since they went HD in January 2008.

The Attitude Era was indeed great but it's not coming back. It ended 11 years ago so people need to get over it. And why do people overlook the Ruthless Aggression era from 2002-2006? If the current product was half of what that era was things would be so much better. They need better talent and Stephanie away from creative.

the attitude era was superior to the ruthless aggression era, because the attitude era introduced us to the marque stars that the ruthless aggression inherited. But the star power of the attitude era, and how they were booked made it better. The attitude era was PG, but it was TV14, giving the writers and the company more room and freedom to do sometimes crazy shit, take the hell in a cell match at KOTR between taker and mankind for instance. When it is fullout PG, it takes all the sting and fast paces action out of your product, like we see today

Look at the IC and tag team division, to this day it was the best tag team division in a long time, we had the dudley boys, edge and christian, and the hardy boys fighting over the tag belts, before that APA, the new age outlaws, at times mankind and rock made a tag team in the rock and sock connection. Taker and kane were in the mix for the tag team belts, then it was xpac and kane, who contrast in styles made it a unique tag team, so were HHH and austin. The IC belt division, before a few hit the main event, were? rock and HHH in 98, kurt angle, Y2J, benoit, eddie, in 2000, these 4 could be our main event talents today, this was the talent of the midcard

But to sum up the attitude era, we look at austin, rock, HHH before he rammed down our throats like we saw in the ruthless aggression era, DX WOW was this stable a blast, the undertaker at his best, not the biker gimmick, but the undertaker that was the phenom, but could cut awesome promo's, the original, masked no personality wrecking machine, kane, we had mankind, who took some of the most insane bumbs you could find. Then we had angle Y2J and benoit have a go in the main event, this was the time when Y2J has a face, was one of the best mic skilled guys in the company, and his promo's I enjoyed more than rock at times.

So overall, there was allot of shit in the attitude era, but the good stuff masked the crap that went on in the attitude era

Man if you guys think watching austin put goldust (dressed as a baby) into a port-a-potty and knocking it over in the name of attitude was the height of wrestling, yer out of your minds. And if you think its any different from Cena covering micheal cole in BBQ sauce then youre even worse. But there were as many good things back then as there are now. I dont think the era matters at all. If the wrestlings good, its good. Seen some very very good matches over the years, and some terrible ones in each era. Good characters at the right time and bad ones at the best times. Most of wrestling is awful if you pay too much attention to it.

I cant listen to music and enjoy it when iv got some jerk leaning over me telling me its new-age post-grindcore hip hop, and i cant watch wrestling and have a good time when im thinking about whether its PG or whether my screens gna be cvered in blood and swear words all the time. None of it matters too much! A decent story (not about one guy being a bully, or another guy raping my dead girlfriend), a good character (whetherits a sock, or a sock-puppet snake on his hand) and a little wrestling to seal the deal (chairshots are as good as headlocks) are all you need!

Man if you guys think watching austin put goldust (dressed as a baby) into a port-a-potty and knocking it over in the name of attitude was the height of wrestling, yer out of your minds. And if you think its any different from Cena covering micheal cole in BBQ sauce then youre even worse. But there were as many good things back then as there are now. I dont think the era matters at all. If the wrestlings good, its good. Seen some very very good matches over the years, and some terrible ones in each era. Good characters at the right time and bad ones at the best times. Most of wrestling is awful if you pay too much attention to it.

I cant listen to music and enjoy it when iv got some jerk leaning over me telling me its new-age post-grindcore hip hop, and i cant watch wrestling and have a good time when im thinking about whether its PG or whether my screens gna be cvered in blood and swear words all the time. None of it matters too much! A decent story (not about one guy being a bully, or another guy raping my dead girlfriend), a good character (whetherits a sock, or a sock-puppet snake on his hand) and a little wrestling to seal the deal (chairshots are as good as headlocks) are all you need!

I got to disagree, during the height of the attitude era, there was allot of factors that make that era such a dynamic and entertaining era, and I agree there was allot of badshit, but any era had allot of badshit, here are a few reasons why it was such a different time period

1 the commentary team during the attitude era, were fantastic. The way JR sold matches, made it look even better

I will give you an example of a fantastic crowd, JR and King selling kane coming to the ring during the rumble, and the pay off was holy shit. jr SAYING omg it maybe kane, The way King say, IT IS KANE, JR saying, ITS KANE HE'S COMING TO HELP HIS BROTHER, ALL HELL IS GOING TO BREAK LOSE. That is commentary team making a moment feel even more epic, esp when the crowd explode
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmkFF8GqDjw

You just do not see comentary team and the crowd really make a key moment of an era sell like a hell

2 the crowd played a huge part, they were loud, in your faces, and they created one hell of an atmosphere.

3 the arena's during the attitude era, were more gritty, and very claustrophobic. They were right in the thick of the action, they were allot closer to the ring, and the way they interacted with the wrestlers etc, made it a very in your face, and a high paced show that did not slow down when it got going

4 the unique characters we got, made it feel allot real. The promo's felt real, when you watch that austin tyson promo, WOW did that feel like a shoot.

5 we had no twitter, the WWF felt like its own world back in the day, so kayfabe was brilliant. Plus they had the balls to see their top star austin, take a full year out to recover from injury's, today they would not even dare do that to cena

If there was ever a perfect time to be "saved" from the PG era, it would have been when Kane redebuted with his mask and Chris Jericho returned to "save" us. Kane immediately began feuding with John Cena expressing his desire to get Cena to "embrace the hate" while a speechless Jericho returned with only a controversial promo claiming that he was here to save us. The only thing that made all of this a little more interesting to me was the fact that CM Punk was the WWE champion at the time, which I believe could have carried the company in a new direction (if they wanted to).

What do you think about this?
BTW, this isn't me saying that I hate the current program (I do but this isn't what this thread is about) I just want to know your thoughts on my "idea"

:shrug:

I do miss the 80's early 90's era of the WWE when they didn'T have a lot of PPV and they really could build up a feud to sell the feud. Plus they use the t.v. to build up the superstars by having them wrestles jobbers. Back then you only had one big match per show and it made the PPV and Saturday night main event specials. Ever since the attiude era happened, the product change and nothing feel special anymore, because everything matches is a big matchs. So that mean that i guy like Tyson Kidd or Alex Riley,that's would have look like a million bucks back then by wrestling jobber before wrestling another superstar on a SNME or PPV is now wasted on TV because they're nothing for them to do but lose every week.

I feel like WWE has eased up off PG as of late to where it use to be since 2011 with the return of The Rock. I feel it's gotten away from the unbareable kiddish styled programming, but recently I feel it could be helpful to inject a shot of Attitude in the arms of the viewers.

I dont care what your personal opinions are on Attitude coming back for good, I'm simply asking how would you feel if we just momentarily revisited the Attitude Era.

Why?

WWE '13

Simple. It's kind of crappy to promote a videogame with Attitude Era stars and storylines and not promote the game by bringing those stars back and that Attitude back for even just this year through the game's launch and maybe through Mania 29.

If you think about it, this could be perfect timing for Austin to return for a one-off match with CM Punk. A perfect time to do with WWE '13 what they're doing with Raw's 1,000th episode now (blasts from the past) bring back Attitude stars weekly before game release date.

I'm even hoping the game itself isnt a let down. We havent had a Bra and Panties match in the game in a while. That should come back this game even if just once. The point is whether you personally like the era or not, the WWE shouldnt try to promote the era and then not make the experience in the game authentic.

Watching the Battle Royal on Raw with the Divas, it was really the sexiest thing I can remember seeing in a long while from Divas on Raw. I dont think I've seen that much skin and it wasnt even that much, in a while. And with these newer girls, I dont think rare Bra and Panties matches would kill them.

For a big personal feud I also dont think ONE First Blood Match would kill them. Those two matches have been gone too long and with this one spotlight on that era, where these two matches were heavily featured, it needs to return.

People always bash it for blood, violence and bra and panties. I say let's have the real hardcore styled matches and extremes we use to see and bra and panties and if they're starting to ease up on blood (like with Cena in the Lesnar feud) then have a blatant First Blood Match.

Have the Hos in the game with The Godfather, make Mae Young's hand a playable character that can kick Hornswoggle's ass!

Give us the works!

What are your thoughts on this?

First of all I'm a huge WWF Attitude era fan, I enjoyed the shock value, must see tv every week, I enjoyed the championship belts of that era (Hardcore, European & Light Heavyweight) I also enjoyed the PPV's and characters of that time.

Right my opinion on bring it back in conjunction with WWE 13' could be a gnarly little idea that might work well and bring back some of the older fans of that generation but WWE did bring this back in 2006 in a few different ways, the 4 year return of KOTR, ECW, DX, Kane (masked) Edge's rated r superstar/lita and live sex celebrations, just my opinion but I'd be up for WWE doing maybe WWE RAW - ATTITUDE ERA RETURNS!!!!

For 4 months cound down to the launch of 13' they could bring in and use some of their Attitude era guys (and belts) and dedicate 1 hour of RAW each week, and keep an eye on the ratings to see if the fans WANT TO WATCH ATTITUDE ERA or not.

Its too early to be going back. The attitude era was successful due mostly to the people involved. Austin, Rock, HBK, Hogan, Nash, Hall, Savage, Bret Hart, Taker, Sting, Foley, VKM. All of these guys were still in their prime and they all made for good tv. Their charisma and mic skills, worked very well together and they put on a great show. You add to the show the Monday Night Wars and an edge and you get magic. WWF beat the Attitude Era with a dead horse at the end. They couldnt do anything shocking anymore. It was shocking to see wrestlers break kayfabe, and to curse, and make sexual innuendos. It wasnt shocking to see HHH have sex with a dead woman, or Edge of have live sex in the ring.

Cena probably could step up the edge a little bit but what would be the point?

Where were you guys before the attitude era? Now that was childish. The WWE spends a few years catering to the lowest common denominator and we never hear the end of it. If the idea is to go raunchy again it won't work. If Vince felt he could still do business that way he'd be doing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back