WWE Pay Per Views - The ongoing debate

gj2000

Dark Match Winner
Over the past couple of years or so, WWE has jacked up the prices of their pay per views in the vicinity of $45-$50. It's personally becoming harder and harder to fork out that, as with a lot of other people.
With the trend of PPV buys declining, what should WWE do to fix it? Lower the prices? Offer deals on certain PPV's? Any other suggestions?

They need to make the pay per views worth buying. I used to buy the pay per views everytime one came out and now Im just settling for Rumble, elmination chamber, wrestlemania and summerslam. All the other pay per view don't draw me enough even with all the gimmicks. I just wanna see a good match with a good build money is not a problem for me it's a matter of if it's worth it.

here in Australia i thought that the price of the Rumble would be around $49.95 because we usually get a bumped up price. But it was only $29.90 as with the rest of the PPV's.

So we don't really have that problem here. the real problem is that the WWE isn't making the matches and storylines going into the PPV's interesting enough to buy and watch.

Correct, the match quality is pathetic. I mean, how many decent matches did WWE give last year? Apart from Taker vs HBK, Edge vs Jericho II, Mysterio vs Del Rio (debut), and Bryan vs Ziggler there is no other match which strikes as memorable. All the main events that had cena or even Orton were pathetic matches. I was high on Orton from 2005 until 2009 but he's just not delivering any good matches or feuds.

Look at Mania 25 - if we had not had Taker vs HBK, then we can safely say it would have been the worst Wrestlemania of all time despite being the silver jubilee, and the only memorable performance would've been from Ricky Steamboat, a Wrestlemania III legend. Really? Is that what it takes to get a good performance at Mania, that you need to bring guys like Steamboat to wrestle and show what quality the WWE had back then?

Look at Mania 26. Again, if we did not have Taker vs HBK and Edge vs Jericho, it would have been one of the worst Manias ever. Despite the fact that it was billed as the BIGGEST Mania ever, which it was in terms of star magnitude and card-size, yes I said it was bigger than even Mania 17 because it had 4 main-events - I mean at which other Mania can you see Bret Hart facing Vince McMahon himself, the greatest of all time HBK retiring at the hands of the greatest of all time Taker, also two of the WWE's biggest stars of the PG era cena vs Batista, and also 2 of the IWC's favouries Edge and Jericho? The fact that HHH's match is not even in the top 4 matches and that Orton, Mysterio, etc are all in the mid-card matches tells you how big the card is. But did the card deliver? Except 2 matches, definitely not.

The WWE needs to solve the basic problem - storylines and matches. Please remove talentless wrestlers like cena from the main event and stop shoving them down our throats all the time. Why the hell does he have to win all the time? Why couldn't Nexus win at Summerslam? Why did you show him every week despite being fired? Why did you make him wrestle as his masked Mexican cousin juan cena at house shows and then drop the story because we knew who it was, and then Tweet that juan is fired and instead hire cena again within 3 weeks of firing? It just tells that you don't have a freaking idea of what you are doing, WWE. Let the idiot lose a few matches cleanly. Give some credibility to your heels like Barrett, Sheamus and Miz by letting them win some matches cleanly. Also instead of cena, please let more talented pure wrestlers like Punk, Edge, del Rio, Bryan, Ziggler, Swagger, Morrison deliver main events and quality matches. If you stay so kid-focussed all the time, you're all becoming immature kids yourself.

And please don't ruin Taker's main event at Mania by putting him against Wade Barrett. Anyone who thinks that Barrett looks like a threat to the streak must be the biggest idiot wrestling fan ever. The streak is one of the main things that keeps Mania going; please let it have its value by putting Taker against somebody credible.

WWE has always had a strange policy in the UK... From all free to all but 4 to alternate to I think now all charged...

Problem is PPV hasn't taken off here the way it did in the US. They tried PPV football and it failed... if Man Utd v Liverpool can't get people to pay £6 a game then how can WWE expect people to fork out £15 for a PPV that shows at 1am!

To watch the Royal Rumble you basically have to pay your £30 a month sky, then £15 for the show, then take the morning/day off work to make up for the lack of sleep... so each PPV can cost upto £100 in real terms!

I think WWE will struggle in the coming months as TNA is going to be showing free...

Long term I think that PPV has run its course as a means of distributing WWE product... the TV channell that has been long promised will likely be the exclusive outlet for them with a subscription model. Perhaps even have just the big 4 on there!

X box gold offers discounts for the longer you choose to pay for at a time. So why not have the WWE do that. Put the ppv's in sections. The road to wrestlemania for example, Have a discount if you buy all three ppv's ect, you end up paying for them anyway, and it would work out much cheaper if they sectioned it off and you payed something like $100 for three ppv's instead of just two, It would boost up the buy rate, and more people would be tempted to buy it.

I just read a thread stating that next PPV is the first not headlining Cena or Orton for over a year. Even then, what are the odds WM is not going to be headlined by Miz vs Cena/Orton. So who do you think is going to win the Elimination Chamber and actually become the headlining wrestler of that PPV? That explains most of the things i guess...

The answer of your question is actually simple: If i have doubts in the excitement of a PPV i won't buy it. The last PPV i purchased was SS, and it was Nexus against team Cena. Nexus was the most exciting storyline at that time and i watched Nexus members being eliminated by Cena one by one. I didn't buy the PPV to watch that! I watched the same show before, i don't know how many times, why would i pay for it to see it again?

Than i realized the mindset of WWE doesn't change. The mindset that make Hornswaggle eliminating wrestlers, Khali and Henry dance etc etc... They try to make kids happy, i should get over it. I know there has been some exciting/shocking moments like Del Rio winning the Rumble but as i said: If i have doubts of excitement of the PPV, i won't buy it

Back in the day(10 years ago), PPV's were only like $29.99. It was the perfect price. Id pretty much buy all of them every month. Plus most were worth the money.

Now they charge $45+ every PPV which usually only has 1 match worth watching. Not worth my money. If WWE dropped the prices, they will get more buys. Plus this economy still sucks. Why are they charging $45 for a PPV i can only watch once or twice when i can wait a couple weeks and pay $30 for it on DVD and watch it as many times as i want? Thats why i think no PPV should go past $30 except Wrestlemania.

Also, your main target audience is kids now. Kids have no money. Your PPV buys are from pretty much only hardcore fans and kids who beg their rich parents to see it.

I will gladly pay for wrestlemania every year, but thats it. Thats $50 right there. Your not getting any more money out of me. These high prices are forcing thousands of fans to illegally watch the ppvs online for free. Im guilty of this. I would gladly give $30, but i refuse to pay $45 for the RR or other PPV's. Im sure many others would pay itstead of watching them online for free.

WWE has always had a strange policy in the UK... From all free to all but 4 to alternate to I think now all charged...

Problem is PPV hasn't taken off here the way it did in the US. They tried PPV football and it failed... if Man Utd v Liverpool can't get people to pay £6 a game then how can WWE expect people to fork out £15 for a PPV that shows at 1am!

To watch the Royal Rumble you basically have to pay your £30 a month sky, then £15 for the show, then take the morning/day off work to make up for the lack of sleep... so each PPV can cost upto £100 in real terms!

I think WWE will struggle in the coming months as TNA is going to be showing free...

Long term I think that PPV has run its course as a means of distributing WWE product... the TV channell that has been long promised will likely be the exclusive outlet for them with a subscription model. Perhaps even have just the big 4 on there!

Not all of the PPVs are on Sky Box Office, there are still a selection which are 'free' on Sports 3. The reason for the constant changes over the years simply comes down to the contract with Sky. Every new contract changes the amount of PPVs on Box Office and then makes room if there are to be more than what they signed up for (to prevent the previous issues shown by the Royal Rumble in 2000 and the near not aired New Years Resolution).

I disagree with your point though, you spend £15 on a PPV which is guaranteed to last at least 2 and half hours. Compared that boxing which could end up over in a matter of minutes and start at 4am in the morning. Once more most people can simply record it using the + feature which is now standard with Sky and then there are the heavy number of repeats and so on.

Also you are wrong and PPV football, Sky had Prem Plus which was like a PPV channel, either pay for every match or buy a season ticket and that did reasonable well.

The point about TNA, the PPV's will be time delayed (therefore taking the morning off to watch a WWE PPV is invalid to make) and will have counterless commercials in it, never mind the editing and so forth. Yes it will be free but in terms of quality Sky can give (yes I know Challenge = Sky), Challenge can't delivery that.

The only issue I have with PPV's is there are simply too many (why they are consider more is just plain stupid), not only does it harm the product, the quality but also in the long run damages sales. The WWE are surprised TLC buyrates were low, I'm not.

Back in the day(10 years ago), PPV's were only like $29.99. It was the perfect price.

The first "In Your House" PPVs were $14.95, and at that low price, lots of folks were indoctrinated into buying these WWE products. Even then, they didn't put them on monthly. In fact, I go back far enough that I remember when Wrestlemania was the only PPV.

And therein lies the problem: there are just too many of the damn things. Now that WWE is accustomed to having a PPV every month, there's no way they're going to go back, but I'd wager that the casual wrestling fan would be more excited about buying them if they didn't come so often. There's never time to look forward to the next show because it's there before you know it.

Plus, the company doesn't have adequate time to build up feuds and programs when the issue has to be settled 30 days from the time it started. It's also why we see so many "repeats" of match-ups from month to month; they don't have time to construct new programs before the next PPV is upon us. Now, WWE does a good job of keeping the interest up in an ongoing feud, but they'd gather even more excitement if they gave us a chance to breathe between PPVs.

Gotta agree with Vampirek & Mustang Sally. Monthly PPVs were alright a decade ago when there was just one "brand" because once one event was over there were 8 shows in which to build up feuds and number one contenders. But now because of this infernal brand split, there is only half the time that was previously available and as soon as a PPV is finished, you watch RAW the next night and ten minutes into the show they've already announced the title challengers for the next event.

WWE put on a great show at the Rumble in my opinion (maybe because I'm an Alberto mark!) but one Raw and one Smackdown in and they have already decided the World Heavyweight & WWE Championship matches, plus another Elimination Chamber match. It really takes some of the excitement away that they just rush it out straight away and don't take the next couple of weeks to build it up.

On the subject of prices, I'm in the UK so my PPV price isn't as expensive as the US and apparently Australia, but I still think £15 is a ridiculous price and tend only to buy the "big" shows like Mania and the Rumble. They are missing a trick by charging so much, It's as if Vince and Co would be happier if they just sold one for $50, than if they got two people to pay $30 each.

haha the good PPVs were cheaper the Horribly booked ones are 50 bucks....No thanks I just buy Wresltemania Royal Rumble and Summer Slam maybe another if its booked good and I can spare the cash but intill theey start booking better I wont be buying every single PPV again.

oh and to answer the question just Lower the Prices about 5 bucks. book the Matches better MAKE SURE its a PPV quality match not somthing I just saw last week on Raw. Ad a suprise every now and then Im not saying have Stone Cold Steve Austin or The Rock Return at every PPV just have somthing happen that you had to see it Live and you had to see the PPV for it to be that special

Simple economics here... the WWE pretty much knows how many buys they can count on for each PPV. So lets use this as an example. The Rumble was $44.95 (49.95 in HD). So even if we assume everybody bought it at the 44.95 price... the RR has averaged about 455,000 buys over the last 5 years. SO... thats $20.5 million. At $39.95 its only $18.1 million. That means buys would have to increase to 520,000 so WWE could hit the $44.95 revenue. Don't see that happening.

If people really have a problem with the price of the PPV, they wouldn't buy it (or they'd livestream it). But the WWE knows better... They know they're going to get buys.

This debate has raged on for quite some time now. Since the post-attitude era, PPV numbers have often been criticized. Looking back, they've often fluctuated up and down, and often you have to get analytical despite the fact the numbers aren't huge. "We're they better than last months PPV?", "We're they better than last year's edition of that PPV", often times that has been the case, but often times it has not either. Now they just seem to have reached a level of complacency in how low they're drawing.

But the weird thing is, despite the actualy buys, drawing some record lows they're still making decent money. Let's keep in mind when the WWF's "In Your House" PPV's were drawing under 200 000 buys from the '95-'97 era, when all you had to do is pull out a $20 to get the show.

That being said however, I do truly believe that the WWE increased prices because of this situation. But yet it's almost like a Catch-22. While the recession has been declared "over" in certain aspects (I live in Canada, so I don't feel like most of you do in the U.S, so I'm merely guessing here from what I've read, so don't hold it against me), wether it's over or not, obviously people are still reeling.

Now this is just an opinion...but let's just say for arguements sake, that the recession IS over, and a great deal of people, have enough disposable income to enjoy a WWE PPV monthly. I would say at BEST, they could only do 200 000 buys a show. I'm aware some of them draw that number, but I'm more or less talking about the shows that have drawn in the 100 000's. I say this because of the other problems WWE PPV's have....

Myth: Same people same feuds. Fact: From 1998-2003, one or more of the same four wrestlers would be in the PPV main event, and 1998-2001 was a hot period for PPV's. But here were the big differences:

---Back in the '98-'01 the WWE's creative department, had a way of keeping the feuds spiced up, giving a slight makeover or adding an element too it. For example, while Rock/HHH was starting to run its course, Kurt Angle was thrown in the mix, making for an interesting storyline.

---Too much on free TV. Granted the WWE did the same think with Rock/HHH as they fought a great deal for free back and forth, but that's one of the few times they got away with it. Often getting a match, or many variations of the match on free TV kind of defeats the purpose of the special feel of PPV. Austin & The Rock fought each other on free TV twice. The first time was in November '98, but it was smartly done. The match was "good", and not quite epic in a PPV sense (like a lot of PPV main events felt at the time), and they basically gave the fans a "free sample" to get them ready for the main course....Wrestlemania XV. This day and age, we get the main course for free, so why would we pay for it shortly after?

This problem is minor, but still one that isn't helping. WAY WAY WAY too much emphasis on people who could never sell a ticket (no I'm not talking about Primo or McIntyre), I'm talking about Michael Cole...and Vickie Guerrero. Look...Vickie is a GREAT heel persona, she's about as good as you can get...most wrestlers only DREAM of having her kind of heat, not since Vince in the late 90's, have I seen the crowd despise someone so much. But....she doesen't put asses in the seats. I do believe however that she COULD, if they'd built up a PPV where she would finally get her come uppance (which STILL hasn't happened after well over 3 years, and speaking on behalf of other wrestling fans I know personally, we're sick of waiting), could be a success.

Michael Cole IMO is just downright annoying! See there are major differences between him and other heel announcers in the past. For example, Jesse Ventura, The Brain, and Lawler (earlier in his run), we're all witty, clever, emphasized there points wether it be in funny or serious fashion. Cole does NONE of those things. And Heenan was at least a charachter up until 1991, who was pushed heavily in storylines, and would often recieve come uppance from his words, and same with Lawler even at times. But it just seems the ENTIRE shows these days are Cole marking out for HIMSELF, and really taking a lot of way. It's like he HAS to say something heelish EVERYTIME, take a break man! Sometimes I think he even BURIES talent at times. Even the three I named cooled it down a bit sometimes. I understand Cole is probably just doing as he's told, but still....the RAW GM thing at least IMO is drawing the WRONG kind of heat...but..if it leads to Lawler pulverizing Cole at 'Mania....at least they did something, but there's just WAY too much emphasis on him.

It's weird how a couple years ago, Vince McMahon apparently made the rediculous commenet about how PPV "wasn't a growth industry", while UFC was growing and growing non stop. But now I read his concern, and it's right, because things aren't looking any better. At least I can see the WWE attempting to fine certain ways to make there PPV shows interesting. But it's going to be a long road back.

I'm not paying $45 for a PPV when I need that money for other things. That is just way too much to fork out. You can make the card the greatest card ever, but i could just watch it on a stream. If they lowered it to $30 I might consider it.

In New Zealand PPVs are only $23, except for Mania which is $30 live on Monday 4pm, so I understand what you Pommys and Yankys feel like. But its not that the PPV price is the problem, its that there are too many, far to FUCKING many+ the match quality has been shit. The only memorable matches from last year were HBK/Taker at Mania, Edge/Jericho at Mania, Bryan/Zigger at Bragging Rights, Bryan/Morrison/Miz at Hell in a Cell, the Falls Count Anywhere Match between Morrison and Sheamus on Raw and Batista/Cena at Mania.

Personally I think PPV is going to be a dying revenue source for WWE. While it's been popular in the states, most of WWE's growth has been internationally. Due to different cultures of video viewers and the obvious time difference it is going to go down.

Also contributing to that is the juggernaut that is the UFC. They have basically taken the best of "pro wrestling" and produced it together with "real fights"-. Sorry to sound Heyman like, but that's what it is. The future is with the internet and mobile devices anyways.

As far as the price, ultimately WWE is a publicly owned company, and they have to do everything to expand there profit margins. $45 to $50 is on point with what boxing matches and UFC charges. Although different products, unless the cost of those events dramatically change I don't see that changing any time soon.

I think when it gets to the point that Internet basically replaces traditional cable and satellite, you could see a cost drop due to the respective companies not having to pay out half of there profits (or in that vincinity) to the respective PPV providers. Or if buys keep going down overall, they may stay around the same price and WWE will just make there money off the higher profit margins of streaming a PPV rather than paying half to a PPV provider.

Over the past couple of years or so, WWE has jacked up the prices of their pay per views in the vicinity of $45-$50. It's personally becoming harder and harder to fork out that, as with a lot of other people.
With the trend of PPV buys declining, what should WWE do to fix it? Lower the prices? Offer deals on certain PPV's? Any other suggestions?

Revert back to say 8-10 PPV's maybe one every five weeks (rather then the standard four weeks) and cut away the stationary gimmick ppvs (Elimination Chamber, Extreme Rules etc, and just go back to basic's when it comes to PPV's, IF a gimmick is needed use it for ONE match not half the card.

WWE will never lower the price, but maybe if your order EVERY PPV of the year mabye give you the last two PPV's of the year FREE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back