WWE Needs a 6 man title to save cruiserweights

TWJC: The Beginning

Royal Rumble Winner
There was a great article on this website about why the Cruiserweights are struggling for relevance. There isn't a novelty to the style anymore. Exchanging holds and catch-as-catch can "feeling out process" in the beginning, followed by clever sequences, some high spots, some dives, some false finishes. That used to be unique, but now the entire roster can do it.

Brian Pillman was WCW Cruiserweight champ at 230. The weight limit was 240. The majority of the roster today either looks like, or wrestles like a cruiserweight. So you have a class of guys who are put in their own group due to size only. That's not interesting.

So how do we fix this? I say, make it a 6 man title. Don't make it the "cruiserweight" six man title. However, you have it so that cruiserweights excel at it. You give it lucha rules (you don't have to tag out, you can just roll out and the next guy can come in). This gives an inherent advantage to the faster guys. You have an 8 team tournament and you have the cruiser teams dominate with their speed.

You make the division unapologetic spotfests. You make each one an attraction. Video game in real life.

That's how you get them over. Oh, and you sign Ospreay, Ricochet, the Bucks, ACH, and Sydal.

I am not a huge spotfest guy. Im not a big mark for the Bucks (I think they're the most overrated team on the planet). But this is a money maker.

There's only like 12 people in the entire division.

Let's get more people in the division and give the more than an hour show (where they matter so RAW doesn't count) before even thinking about other titles.

Even then a 6man tag division seems stupid especially before a regular tag division.

Firstly, I have wondered what has happened to Neville? He would be perfect for the Cruiserweight Division, and is already established, so he should be quite prominent in the Cruiserweight Division.

As for 6-Man Tag-Team titles, I like it, but I would extend it further, and have teams like New Day or the New Wyatt Family compete for it. Also, this way, if New Day are chasing the 6-Man Title, it opens up the WWE Tag-Team Titles being won by Enzo & Cass, The Club or Shesaro.

Introducing another championship won't solve anything right now. What needs to happen, in my opinion, is that the cruiserweights are given opportunities to develop their own identities, their own personas with storylines and angles just like the rest of the roster has. The platform of 205 Live is an opportunity to accomplish all that and it's going to take a little bit of time for that to take place. Overall, they had a good debut episode of the show and it's now a matter of continuing to move in the right direction.

I know I say this a lot, I say it because I have a lot of faith in it, but I'm of the opinion that Cruiserweight Division would be far more firmly establishes and wouldn't really need its own separate platform if Triple H was the one calling the final creative shots. The Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic, the Cruiserweight Classic, the upcoming women's tourney are all his babies, he's demonstrated the ability to help get the most out of talents of all shapes and sizes. However, what he feels might be best and what Vince feels might be best are sometimes universes apart and Vince is the last word on what goes down and how it goes down.

It's actually a great idea once you establish 205 Live as must see. The WWE must also establish who are going to be the faces of this division. It has been a struggle for them because so far it hasn't panned out as they had hoped it would. Rich Swann is a step in the right direction, but like the women's division they need to create hot feud. I think the solution is Neville/Austin Aries for the Cruiserweight championship

The idea of a "trios" championship can come after as a great way to just have 6 wrestlers fly all over the ring. It's fun and who is against having fun. They first need to really establish who is going to lead this division though.

I totally agree with this....I mean so far what do I know. Swann likes to dance, TJ likes Video games, Davari is his brother reincaranated and Gulak went to the Blackman school of Emotional range....The only person with a even semi developed personality is Kendrick and he is very much carrying the division....I know some people dislike his style but Mike Tenay used to really tell the backstory with CW back in WCW and got you to know even the jobbers like Ciclope or Lash LeRoux...Plus WCW had the advanatage of having soem very Charismatic guys early on like Eddie and Jericho matched with phenomons like Rey and Malenko
Introducing another championship won't solve anything right now. What needs to happen, in my opinion, is that the cruiserweights are given opportunities to develop their own identities, their own personas with storylines and angles just like the rest of the roster has. The platform of 205 Live is an opportunity to accomplish all that and it's going to take a little bit of time for that to take place. Overall, they had a good debut episode of the show and it's now a matter of continuing to move in the right direction.

I know I say this a lot, I say it because I have a lot of faith in it, but I'm of the opinion that Cruiserweight Division would be far more firmly establishes and wouldn't really need its own separate platform if Triple H was the one calling the final creative shots. The Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic, the Cruiserweight Classic, the upcoming women's tourney are all his babies, he's demonstrated the ability to help get the most out of talents of all shapes and sizes. However, what he feels might be best and what Vince feels might be best are sometimes universes apart and Vince is the last word on what goes down and how it goes down.

the only thing that would save the cruiserweight right now is if they would bring some star power to the division. You got somebody like Neville who is just seating at home not doing anything, he would be perfect for that division. Kalisto is another guy that would be perfect for this, find a way to trade the guy to raw and let him be the flag bearer for the division. When austin aries comes back from injury, why not insert him to the division, that's another familiar name that could help the division.

The main problem with the division is that they all look like lower card wrestlers with no personality. Last night i saw 2 cruiserweight match on raw, out of the four wrestlers they use for these 2 match, the most over guy was jack gallagher, the less flashy guy in the division but the guy with the biggest personality. The division needs to be different from the rest of the roster and when i good chunk of the main roster wrestles like cruiserweight, it hurts the division as a whole because it makes then look inferior and highlighting the fact that we are watching a cruiserweight match by taping the ropes purple and change the light color isn'T making a difference at all in the perception of the audience that they are just watching prelim guys wrestles.

There was a great article on this website about why the Cruiserweights are struggling for relevance. There isn't a novelty to the style anymore. Exchanging holds and catch-as-catch can "feeling out process" in the beginning, followed by clever sequences, some high spots, some dives, some false finishes. That used to be unique, but now the entire roster can do it.

Brian Pillman was WCW Cruiserweight champ at 230. The weight limit was 240. The majority of the roster today either looks like, or wrestles like a cruiserweight. So you have a class of guys who are put in their own group due to size only. That's not interesting.

So how do we fix this? I say, make it a 6 man title. Don't make it the "cruiserweight" six man title. However, you have it so that cruiserweights excel at it. You give it lucha rules (you don't have to tag out, you can just roll out and the next guy can come in). This gives an inherent advantage to the faster guys. You have an 8 team tournament and you have the cruiser teams dominate with their speed.

You make the division unapologetic spotfests. You make each one an attraction. Video game in real life.

That's how you get them over. Oh, and you sign Ospreay, Ricochet, the Bucks, ACH, and Sydal.

I am not a huge spotfest guy. Im not a big mark for the Bucks (I think they're the most overrated team on the planet). But this is a money maker.

I wish they'd do away with the purple ropes and add more recognizable names.

WWE doesn't change up their look when the women wrestle, why should it change for the cruiserweights. I think they should add guys like Sin Cara, Zayn, Neville just to add name recognition to the division.

I agree w/ wrestlingmasters55, the Cruiserweight Division is missing star power.

But I think that they're missing Zack Sabre Jr. and Kota Ibushi. It's a shame that they didn't stick around after the tourney.

These two were the Shawn Michaels of the Cruiserweight Open and the WWE is trying to build the division with the Marty Jannettys that stayed.

I think that adding in a new title won't compensate the damage.

205 Live is a step in right direction and it's been much better for Cruiserweights than as compared to Raw itself.

Making Rich Swann champion in place of Brian Kendrick is also a good decision.

Plus, WWE needs to use guys like Neville since he's just lurking around at Raw. Adding in Sincara won't be bad either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back