WWE Battleground - WWE Intercontinental Championship: Curtis Axel (c) VS R-Truth

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
According to WWE.com, this match has been made official for the Battleground ppv. Truth scored a slightly tainted win over Axel on Raw this past Monday, therefore, he's got himself a title match.

This match is, pretty much, pointless filler and that's unfortunate. It's pretty much a piss break all in all. While I'm sure it'll be solidly wrestled, Truth isn't going to win. Everybody already knows it, nobody gives a damn and probably wouldn't care all that much anyhow because it's R-Truth. If WWE wanted an IC title to have any degree of significance at Battleground, Truth is probably one of the least important opponents for Axel that WWE could have picked for Axel.

The IC Championship has pretty much been shit on ever since Axel won the belt. Throughout the Heyman and Punk segments, Axel has nearly always been made to look weak next to Punk, and Axel's focus has been with...Punk. There's been little to no focus on the IC Championship at all. They pretty much threw the last defence in to satisfy the NOC stipulation. This isn't really meant to be a knock on Axel; he's far from bad in the ring, it's just that he's been booked nonsensically, and this is the case more than ever here.

R-Truth is not winning this though. If they want SOMETHING to come off this forgettable title reign, it's a longer reign and more defences against serious opponents with sufficient build-up. Truth has done nothing of note apart from jobbing to the stars and having some brief, dumb program with Fandango, so Truth winning this will hurt Axel's credibility even more.

Axel wins, and I hope he moves on to stronger competition.

It is a shame, but I just don't think the IC title can be saved anymore. I have griped for a year on here about getting the mid card titles more time, but it just doesn't seem like the WWE is interested in those titles. Curtis Axel hasn't really done anything with the IC belt since he won it. That being said, R-Truth won't be winning this match. I mean what would be the point? He has had other useless midcard title runs that never amounted to anything. Axel retains here in a who cares match.

If there's anything that can convince me just a teeny tiny bit that Truth might come out the new champion here, it's that he's on the Hell in a Cell poster, which could mean something, but the WWE have just about put anyone from Hornswoggle to Cena on their PPV posters before, so it doesn't convince me enough that Truth will get the win and get some kind of push out of this.

As been said, this is a pointless filler just to add another match to the card, but it still should be a decent match. Don't think this will be a piss-break cause I believe this will open the PPV. Everything else on the card is too relevant to go on first or in the Diva Title match's case, too shit to go on first. They'll probably have an in-ring segment during the show featuring Miz, Great Khali and Fandango for the piss-break.

Guess I now know which match I'm putting my highest point on, for WZPC this Sunday.

Axel really needs a proper rival for the IC title, this is pure filler and I don't really expect a great match, might as well have stuck another random or two in and at least made for action packed spotfest.

I can't see anything but an Axel win here.

This match is, pretty much, pointless filler and that's unfortunate.

You've got that right. It would be a pleasant surprise to see R-Truth walk away with the title, if for no other reason than logic dictates there isn't a chance in hell he will. What's more disturbing is that a minor title is being contested at a PPV, and R-Truth is the best they can do for an opponent?

Somewhere, somehow, Ron Killings was promised (and given) a big-ass push, just when it seemed he was destined to be a jobber forever. Honestly, it was a pretty good heel push and Killings played it well. Still, it came out of nowhere, starting with him splashing a fan with his drink and seemingly picking on a little boy in the crowd. Well, whatever gets it done, I guess.

But it worked. Some folks on this forum bemoaned that it wasn't continued, but I believe the company carried it for just the right amount of time. It was never intended that Killings be elevated to main event status permanently, and he surely knew it from the beginning.

To paraphrase Dear Abby (the noted pro wrestling historian): "It's better to be pushed and dropped, than never to have been pushed at all."

Axel wins.

R-Truth has a PPV match. R-Truth is on the poster for Hell in a Cell. He should be future endeavoured but I really fear that he wins the Intercontinental Championship and turns heel (taking even more time on TV)

I'm sure this could be a solid match but Axel deserves more and Truth deserves less. There are better names on the roster for this than R-Truth which makes me think that Truth wins and gets a push. I suppose that could free up Axel to move onto better things but I doubt that very much.

20131002_EP_LIGHT_battleground-matches_axeltruth_C-homepage.jpg

I don't care about this match a single bit. Why is R-TRUTH of all people getting a title shot? I like Axel, but there is no reason for me to watch this. I'll be taking the dogs for a walk or heading to the kitchen to grab a snack during this match. This shouldn't even be on the PPV. It could have been the kickoff match so that Sandow and Dolph could be on the main card.

I hope it goes on first (it probably will) so that we can get it over with. The in-ring work should be ok, but it won't be anything particularly great. R-Truth will lose as there is absolutely no reason for him to win the Intercontinental Championship from Axel. None. I also hope the feud ends here. Axel moves on to his next challenger and Truth goes back to jobbing.

DAGGER'S PREDICTION
Curtis Axel will retain the Intercontinental Championship.

I'm going with Axel winning this to make it a good night for the Heyman guys.

I go into more detail in my prediction video as to why I think Curtis Axel is winning this.
[youtube]THgVQ8AGNe8[/youtube]

The next match is one for the Intercontinental Championship and it will pit Curtis Axel against R Truth. Curtis Axel will be the defending Champion and R Truth will be the hungry challenger who already has got a Non Title victory over the champion.

My Prediction: I am not one for wild card predictions however this one I am going to go with R Truth here. The way R Truth has looked in recent weeks is good and now he is on the Hell in a Cell poster too so I am going with a title reign from R Truth here.

End Prediction: R Truth def. Curtis Axel

Jack-Hammer said it, it is indeed a filler and pointless match. Granted at least we are seeing the IC championship being defended on a PPV with this mini feud but honestly does R Truth represent a threat? Is Axel interesting enough to see him? Both answers are no. Like I said at least we are having on a PPV the IC championship defended, there's no way Curtis is going to lose this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back