Wrestling Ring Dimensions

Shocky

Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz
first off there is a huge difference in the rings that WCW and WWE use, WCW uses Cable and is 16' x 16', as opposed to the WWE who use rope and the ring size is 18' x 18'. This is where Umaga's offense works to its best advantage because the ropes and the size of the ring help with the running of the ropes. Umaga's moveset is based on running the ropes. And he flys around the ring like nobodies business. KB, you try taking a thumb to the throat, it would hurt.

Thank You Shadowmancer. So when we say inside of such and such ring, remember to keep that in mind. I've read elsewhere that the WWE Ring is 20' x 20', but all I know for certain is that a WWE Ring is larger then the rest of the rings in the business.

If anyone has the Dimensions of TNA and ECW's rings, feel free to post it in here. Also, I know TNA uses Cables instead of Ropes. Cables tend to be advantageous for cruiserweights if I remember correctly.

I read on another forum that it's 16' 10" form post to post..So while each set of ropes is slightly larger than the WCW ring, and smaller than a WWE ring, there's 6 sets, so it works out to be bigger.

I suck at math, so please don't ask me for the "area" of the ring.

The website for the ECW Arena has a seating graphic with an 18x18 ring, but that has to be new. The old ring was always smaller, or at least looked it.

How is this relevant? I don't understand how ring dimensions are of any importance in this tournament. What is the point in saying that the ring is in equal height to the entrance ramp? I am very confused...

Different rings are structured for different types of wrestlers. The WWE has a bigger ring, because the ring is designed with guys like Big Show and Andre in mind. Huge guys need room to take bumps. The bigger the wrestlers, the bigger the room is needed to perform moves.

WCW had a smaller ring using cables as opposed to ring ropes. Why is this relevant? Smaller rings are more conducive for smaller guys to hit the ropes and use speed to their advantage. When the traditional ring rope is replaced with cable wire, like in TNA or WCW, it provides a sturdier place in which a cruiserweight could perform moves off of. This is why, outside of Mr. McMahon's terrible booking of light weights, cruiserweights have found success in places like TNA and WCW.

The WCW workers back in 2001 that were bought out by the WWE had a helluva time adapting to the larger WWE ring. You must think as a wrestler, by instinct they begin to turn to hit the ropes at a certain pace or number of steps. When you add just a couple of feet two a ring size, that could completely ruin someones timing, and cause botches and the like.

Now as far as the entrance ramp being equal with the ring. The old WCW Ramp was elevated off of the ground as opposed to what you see on Raw today. I suggest looking up a youtube video of an early 90's WCW match. The walkway would be the same exact height as the ring. So when a wrestler walked down to the ring, he merely had to walk threw the ring ropes as opposed to climb up into the ring. However, wrestlers could use the entrance ramp to run down and vault into the ring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back