Wrestling Isn't Wrestling: Or Could Max Landis Be The Answer?

THTRobtaylor

Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist
I've just spend 25 of the best wrestling minutes of the year watching Max Landis' new "mockumentary" called Wrestling Isn't Wrestling... you've probably heard about it by now and it's been all over WZ this week. If you've not seen it and want to before you read on, the link is here... it is an excellent watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYvMOf3hsGA&t=1430

Done?

While I was watching this, sure I was laughing my ass off at the clear parody vibe but what struck me was that this wasn't coming across as malicious or even "poking fun"... This was coming across as a "Come and Get Me" call to the WWE.

We know that WWE has used "Hollywood" style writers for a while now, even going so far as to using a one time "top level talent" in Freddie Prinze Jr. a few years back. They are beavering away at Full Sail/NXT trying to create a new generation of production talent, just as with the wrestlers.

We also know that WWE has not only a film division, but that Landis has provisionally cast one of their guys in a "big" movie project he's been trying to get off the ground in Dolph Ziggler. While he's only written one major hit so far in Chronicle, he does have a pedigree... his dad, John Landis is, like Vince McMahon a polarising figure in the movie world. He's directed some of my absolute favourite and the most iconic movies in Animal House, Blues Brothers, American Werewolf In London and several decreasingly good outings with Eddie Murphy like Trading Places and Coming to America...he also direceted arguably the most important pop video of all time in Thriller... He is also the guy who was lucky to escape jail for a helicopter crash in which his lead actor and 2 illegally hired child actors were decapitated... He was acquitted but it left a bad taste in Hollywood and limited his choices and may, inadvertantly be limiting his sons. I love what John Landis can do, but hate what he did enough to not watch his movies the same way... many in the industry may be extending a similar thing to his son.

So we have a clearly talented kid who "may" be struggling a bit in the Hollywood system. Be it to get funding for his projects or just some in the power positions are unfairly judging him for something his dad did pretty much before he was born. He clearly knows a LOT of people, both in the business and outside of it... in this "viral film" he managed to get MaCauly Culkin, Seth Green, John Morrison, Jimmy Kimmel and a couple of others... he did it off his own back?

Why?

To get a job with WWE of course...

For some time one of the things that has hurt WWE is that it's presentation has become VERY stale. They've tried everything to "shake it up" from pre and post shows, Guest Hosts to the WWE App to HD and they are found wanting week after week. They have a crazy amount of hours to fill and the writers they have are clearly not up to it and Vince McMahon himself has "seemingly lost his touch" as well. New concepts like Lucha Underground are stealing the march on "new and improved" presentation of the core product... just as Nitro did 20 years ago.

20 years ago, Vince found a kid in the magazine team who "got it", got that times had not only changed but how people were ready to view wrestling had changed. Say what you want about Vince Russo, but for a short period of time he DID improve things, he got that ball rolling. Don't think for a minute it was anything other than desperation of Vince's part, but he's the kind of guy who would rather be able to say he tried everything rather than go under without that risk. Let's no forget that the competition from WCW came from a leftfield choice in Eric Bischoff who was a guy with a feel for TV ahead of wrestling...

Here, we have a company on the cusp of a potential management change and again, a young kid, this time with a bit of pedigree and reputation in Hollywood, who has a flair for the fun and comedy aspects but also the much vaunted storytelling that their current writers seem to lack. What made that video genius wasn't just switching gender roles or narrating himself but that it told a story in such a way that even a non wrestling fan might be tempted to give it another shot after seeing it... through the lens of what he says and I have oft repeated as well... WWE isn't a sports show... it's a TV show ABOUT a wrestling promotion.

WWE has spent years amassing second generation talent from within the wrestling business, but here they might just have a second generation Hollywood kid, who clearly loves what they do... It should be a no-brainer to get him onto some kind of deal, be it through the film division first or to help with Wrestlemania packages...all the way through to getting him involved in RAW/Smackdown. He's the kind of guy who some in Hollywood will listen to and take ideas from and innovate with whats produced... WWE needs to change... so why not give it a try. That he has a "name" that will look good to investors, fans and Hollywood is a bonus.

I could be wrong on this... but I really think he's reaching out to them with this... the reaction within WWE is supposedly VERY positive to it. I wouldn't be at all shocked to see it go somewhere relatively quickly. Just don't ever let him be onscreen/wrestle like Russo and it can work.

Kevin Dunn does need to go away. WWE is still tops in video packages but Lucha has risen the bar a far as camera work and presentation is concerned.

Everything could use upgrading, that ramp, the trons, the entrance music, the camera work everything. RAW just doesn't come across fresh.

They need to do a soft reset after mania every year. It can be their "season premiere". Bring in new characters, new stories, new writers, try new visuals etc.

Maybe this dude has some ideas, maybe he's just a mark, who knows but it's always worth a try. It's not like he will mess it up.

I liked "mockumentary". Even set up a thread here about it. :)

Trouble is that my opinion is that as much as its great to "roast" somebody like that it would never work in that format on WWE. For example, thought how much would be good to have Bryan last year taunt HHH that HHH is "B+ player" when he tried to get him on that match on Wrestlemania. And thats where trouble starts because HHH genuinly sees himself as bigger then life. As much as he enjoyed one time roast he received from Landis in "mockumentary" cant imagine he would be fine with someone, for example, week after week calling him B+ player and someone who always needed someone behind him to get what he wants. Most closest to that in recent times was CM Punk but even him didnt questioned HHHs greatness. He said "doofus son-in-law" and stuff like that but never taunted him in a way that HHH wasnt great but in the way that HHH as authority doesnt like Punk and that he should get out of the suit and face him.

Dont get me wrong, I like idea and Landis could maybe be nice refreshment for WWE. Just dont see it happening in a way of it was done in mockumentary. :)

He did this as a fan, as was obvious. I highly doubt that he's trying to take Keniv Dunn's job.

I've been following Landis a while. He's an excellent idea man. He's got a wealth of imagination. His follow-through leaves something to be desired. He's young and it might come to him, but he has more "kewl" ideas than he does a way to finish a complete story.

If he gets into wrestling, expect no different. He grew up on crash TV and that's what he'd deliver. Alot of shock and not a ton of payoff.

Watched the video and really enjoyed it, but I think you're looking too deeply into it.

He's actually had a pretty decent film career, with three different films coming out in 2015. He also wrote "Chronicle", which was a pretty big hit.

Guys like Landis & Russo are exactly what is wrong w/the wrestling business and its perception. It should be taken more seriously. IDK why, but people here love the WWF Attitude era although I for one do not. Once Bret Hart left the WWF, it was really hard to watch main event matches. Kevin Sullivan booked a much better show on Nitro w/out having to resort to ridiculous promos that didn't serve a purpose. I think the big mistake WCW made was letting the old guys stay in the main event past 98.

I watch some attitude era segments on Youtube once in a while and still don't get how Steve Austin is considered this bad ass when he comes out and talks for like 5-10 minutes straight. I did like his 97 run though. Most of his stuff was short & sweet, which better fit the bad ass role.

I think if you go back, pound-for-pound Nitro was the better show if only for the fact that they kept the sports presentation up. Once Nash took over in '99, shit started hitting the fan & only got worse when Russo showed up. A lot of WCW's issues stemmed from bad main events and angles that never had a payoff, but the in-ring action of the undercard was top notch & got just as much if not more of a reaction than the main event from the crowds on many occasions (although Jericho wildly exaggerates this in his book).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back