Wrestling Fan's "Silver Bullet"

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
CM Punk just lost the WHC without ever being in the match, and predictably (and right on schedule) the naysayers are coming out of the woodwork calling Punk a failure, saying he's stale and a poor champion. And etc.

This, of course, isn't the first time I've heard this tripe. It happened with Cena. Give the guy a few months with the belt, and the IWC is calling for his head, saying he's stale as a face and he's being shoved down our throats. And then I wait for it...

"TURN HIM HEEL!"

And I roll my eyes and go to another thread to avoid flaming the bums.

Ladies and Gentlemen of the IWC, when did turning a wrestler heel or face become the silver bullet of professional wrestling?!

It's ridiculous. Heel has a bad match? Turn him face. Face has a boring title run? He'd be a better heel. I feel like I am listening to the episode of Scrubs "My Musical" where, to every ailment presented, Turk and J.D. proudly proclaim "Check the Poo!"

Not only is the concept that a face or heel turn will automatically be successful TOTALLY ludicrous, but it has completely taken the luster off of the heel turn. Years back, a heel or a face turn took TIME to plan and execute. It was believable. It wasn't a whim. The greatest and mist successful heel turns ever (Hogan, Hart, Savage, etc.) were believable and deliberate, and they sure as shit weren't in response to a boring few weeks.

I blame WCW and their constant flip-flopping of faces to heels and vice versa for this crap. Why is it you people think a face or heel turn will cure all of your professional wrestling ailments!?

I would say for some the heel turn works. Like for example it totally saved jericho, and the rock did'nt really start to get over until he joined the nation. And back in the day turning face gave savage the world title push. But i so agree with you that it is not an automatic solve and wish there weren't so many turns. And like you said so many whim turns, I too miss the days of turns that took a while to set up.

The Jericho turn took forever to happen, and it was awesome. I agree with IC that turns aren't the solutions, but something needs to be done with CM Punk, because he has gotten stale. The only promo of his that I was a fan of was the one that involved throwing whiskey in JBL's face. It seems as if he only shows passion for his straightedge lifestyle instead of his underdog champion status.

The answer for everything is to turn him heel. I thought you'd know that Irish :rolleyes:

With Cena, I agreed he should be a heel. Face Cena was one of the most boring gimmicks I've ever seen. I appeared to be in the minority however.

The problem with fans now is that they don't have a long attention span. Anything longer than a couple of months and they want change. The 'easiest' way to do that is have them attack another face, turning them heel. Or to produce cheap heat and have them insult the fans/city they're in.

As for people automatically thinking it would be successful, I disagree. Even those who have had successful heel turns before doesn't mean the next one will be. I think people often think of those runs and expect them to be as good, if not better.

I agree that people jump from heel to face and back and forth too quickly. It seems to me people have no patience anymore. If you look back on some of the greatest feuds and storylines, they played out slowly. Remember how long Sting hung out in the rafters?? Remember how slowly NWO built up its ranks?? If they did the NWO angle AGAIN today, they'd have a few people start it up, then have everyone joining within two pay per views, then the angle would be over. It just seems to me like no one has the patience to plan out and execute a long well thought out feud/storyline. They want instant gratification. If the storyline isn't getting a HUGE pop each week, they give up on it and move on to something else. I'd just like see wrestlers hang on to their character's, alliances, allegiances, and enemies longer. Take the Jericho/Michaels feud. Within a couple of months, they'll probably be tag team partners and getting along great and talking about what great friends they have been for a long time. In my opinion, if you have a feud with someone, you shouldn't partner up with that person for a LONG time after that feud is over.

Ok, that was kind of a discombobulated ramble. I'll think this through and try to write a clearer and more concise explanation of what I'm griping about later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back