Wrestlemania in Vancouver.

hellod245

Pre-Show Stalwart
The news is that Vancouver has already started to bid for the wrestlemania 2013 or 2014. Well i live in Vancouver and thats a big news for us. Wrestling is not too popular here in Vancouver. Ok i mean it is popular but its never recognised by wwe. What was the last time that we had a live raw or PPV held here. I think we had raw in 2000(correct me if i am wrong) and PPV in 1998. We had a house show last year in Feb which was held here after 2 years. I mean even no house show for 2-3 years. I went to that show and crowd was awesome. They booked a small stadium for that which has capacity of 6000 people and show was packed. It shows that people love wrestling here but it always get ignored by wwe. Raw is held annualy in Toronto and number of house shows held every year in the eastern part of Canada but B.C. (and this is fact).

Ok that was the details that i wanted to share with the fans before coming to the topic. Now my topic is will Vancouver get it? Even if Vancouver gets it will the show be huge success as wrestlemania is always for wwe. There are thousands of wrestling fans here and are pretty crazy for wwe. We have BC place here which can comfortably take more that 65000 fans in.I dont think we can get 2014 WM coz its WM 30 and most likely it will be at madison square garden. So that leaves only WM 2013 to bid for.

Now for me i dont think this will happen at all. I think last years incident at the house show in Victoria BC, where a lady fan attacked Jericho in parking lot and Jericho punched her will show its effect in this. That news was all over for about a month. That fan sued Jericho coz he punched a lady(but ultimately she lost coz it was proved that she provoked him). Before approving Vancouver as WM host Vince will have this thing in his mind that if same kind of thing happened at Mania it will spoil the whole show. Vancouver is going to host UFC ppv in June at BC place and more than 50000 people are expected to attend it. If this event is a success than Vince will definately try to surpass it by organizing a bigger even here. What you guys think is Vancouver is a big enough wrestling city to host Wrestlemania and should or will it happen?

One of the reasons that they WWE does not go to Vancouver much is the fact that the WWE is banned from using General Motors place after a big crowd riot happened there a few years ago. I am sure that the WWE could run a successful WRestlemania in Vancouver, the city that is trying to make itself into one of the biggest sports cities in North America, to go along with the Olympics there. Wrestlemania was previously held at Seattle for Mania XIX, which was a huge success, and as the two cities are only a short drive, I can see it working out well. BC Place would be a great venue for the biggest Pay Per View ever, so I see no problems there.

One of the reasons that they WWE does not go to Vancouver much is the fact that the WWE is banned from using General Motors place after a big crowd riot happened there a few years ago. I am sure that the WWE could run a successful WRestlemania in Vancouver, the city that is trying to make itself into one of the biggest sports cities in North America, to go along with the Olympics there. Wrestlemania was previously held at Seattle for Mania XIX, which was a huge success, and as the two cities are only a short drive, I can see it working out well. BC Place would be a great venue for the biggest Pay Per View ever, so I see no problems there.

Wow i didnt know about that crowd riot thing. I tried google it but found nothing. What exactly happened there? Why was WWE banned after that?

Let's hope this doesn't happen. I've been to Vancouver before and trust me... Wrestling fans don't want any part of Vancouver.

Conservative, full of traffic, lack of places that serve Burgers, Pizza and good junk food... you'll have to eat soup or sushi when in Vancouver.

Takes hours to cross back to the United States...

Overall a headache for U.S. fans.

Well, I tried to find it, first thing that popped up was this :http://www.acheapseat.com/general_motors_place_tickets.html. I can't remember when it, I have 2004 in my head, but it might have been earlier. I know WCW ran a pay per view out of the city, but it was at PNE Coliseum, not GM Place. the Pay Per View was New Blood Rising, which had the great tag team ladder match (It is on the WWE LAdder MAtch DVD), the Lance Storm versus Awesome match for the Canadian Title which is pretty famous, and a couple Muta matches. The crowd was alright, not great, not like a Calgary crowd can be.

Let's hope this doesn't happen. I've been to Vancouver before and trust me... Wrestling fans don't want any part of Vancouver.

Conservative, full of traffic, lack of places that serve Burgers, Pizza and good junk food... you'll have to eat soup or sushi when in Vancouver.

First off, what the hell are you talking about? Vancouver is the most liberal city in North America. Do you know know what conservative is? And there is more traffic in Seattle than Vancouver, VAncouver itself is a very pedistrian city, with great public Transit.

There are also plenty of fucking McDonalds in Vancouver,w alk downtown, and there is one on every street. Its a very fine dinning city as well, as not all wrestling fans eat greasy fucking burgers.

And it takes a lot of time crossing the borders anywhere, not just into Vancouver. Under your logic, Wrestlemania should never be in Canada, because you cant wait a fucking couple hours crossing a border that became much more rigid due to American protectionism. Not all Wrestling fans will be driving across the border, as they have made magical flying tubes. Also, some wrestling fans might already reside in Vancouver. Weird, eh?

Well, I tried to find it, first thing that popped up was this :http://www.acheapseat.com/general_motors_place_tickets.html. I can't remember when it, I have 2004 in my head, but it might have been earlier. I know WCW ran a pay per view out of the city, but it was at PNE Coliseum, not GM Place. the Pay Per View was New Blood Rising, which had the great tag team ladder match (It is on the WWE LAdder MAtch DVD), the Lance Storm versus Awesome match for the Canadian Title which is pretty famous, and a couple Muta matches. The crowd was alright, not great, not like a Calgary crowd can be.

Funny you should mention New Blood Rising, because they're playing that on WWE Classics On Demand. That PPV was from 2000. I've only seen the first half, among which was a 4 way dance for the tag titles; featuring 3 tag teams vs Kronic, special refereed by the Filthy Animals (including an unmasked Rey Mysterio), the Great Muta vs Ernest Miiller, Shane Douglas (w/Torrie Wilson) in a strap match vs Billy Kidman, and a bra & panties match between Major Gunns vs Miss Hancock. In response to the actual topic, I believe Vancouver would be a prime location to host a Wrestlemania.

First off, what the hell are you talking about? Vancouver is the most liberal city in North America. Do you know know what conservative is? And there is more traffic in Seattle than Vancouver, VAncouver itself is a very pedistrian city, with great public Transit.

There are also plenty of fucking McDonalds in Vancouver,w alk downtown, and there is one on every street. Its a very fine dinning city as well, as not all wrestling fans eat greasy fucking burgers.

And it takes a lot of time crossing the borders anywhere, not just into Vancouver. Under your logic, Wrestlemania should never be in Canada, because you cant wait a fucking couple hours crossing a border that became much more rigid due to American protectionism. Not all Wrestling fans will be driving across the border, as they have made magical flying tubes. Also, some wrestling fans might already reside in Vancouver. Weird, eh?

I am agree with TM here. Vancouver is a pretty decent city. They have pretty good facilities. They even raise the bar higher because of Olympics being held here. If Olympics can become a sucess here then there should be no problem in holding a wrestling event. I know its hard to convince Vince to organize Wrestlemania outside U.S but if Vancouver does really good in hosting olmpics and UFC event then we will surely get it. And yes for all U.S fans, going to a wrestling event should be fun. If you are a good wrestling fans then you wont think about 2 hours wait on border or anything the only thing in your mind should be WRESTLEMANIA.

Being about an hour away from Vancouver, I personally would love for it to be chosen. I've never been to a wrestling show and if it were to be Wrestle mania, wouldn't that be something else.

BTW Vancouver is one of the top cities in the world.

WrestleMania in Vancouver would be awesome. I live in Seattle and I'm going to the Olympics in BC this year. To come back for a WrestleMania would be worth the drive.

I think Vancouver should be a good bid for WrestleMania. I think wrestling is popular there and plus they'll be getting fans from all over the Northwest, including Seattle and Portland, which are pretty major wrestling cities. Plus with WrestleMania being in Canada, people from all over Canada will come to watch WM in Vancouver.

As far as them actually getting it? I'm not sure. But it will show that Vancouver is really interested in having WWE come to their city so maybe it's a sign of future RAWs or lesser PPVs being hosted there.

Vancouver is also currently arresting all of its homeless or removing them from the city in preperation for the Olympics. So the city will at least look nice for the show.

On the other hand, wrestling fans who love ****es are going to be in for a dissapointment when they realize that most of the city's prostitutes have already been kidnapped and killed (which is already a huge problem, likely to get bigger once the city is filled with Olympic tourists).

I think I'd much rather see WM come to Toronto again. Sure we have hobos, but we also have a lot of prostitutes, so it balances out.

Other than the fact that I live here, there's one other big reason I'd prefer another Skydome show: the indie shows that piggyback on WM weekend. ROH has been following WM wherever it goes for 5 years, and DGUSA seems to be starting to do the same. I can safely say that Toronto has a wrestling fanbase rabid enough to pack all 4 indie shows, WM, and the HOF, plus whatever other crap goes on that weekend. I'm not so sure Vancouver could do the same.

Wow i didnt know about that crowd riot thing. I tried google it but found nothing. What exactly happened there? Why was WWE banned after that?

I can elaborate on this incident for you, as I was there in attendance. It was in 1998, and there were so many fights in the crowd that night, I couldn't believe it. When the New Age Outlaws made their entrance for their match with Mick Foley and Chainsaw Terry Funk, uhhhhh.....errrrr.....Chainsaw Charlie ;) a fan threw a golf ball at them and they stormed to the back while saying on the microphone that they were "out of here". They were actually back there for quite awhile, with Funk and Foley eventually going backstage and dragging them back by their hair for their match. Fuckin' classic stuff. One of the other matches HHH and I forget who he was wrestling, but they just took a break from the match to watch the fights in the crowd. The announcers informed everyone that the event was in danger of being cancelled on the spot with no refunds, but WWE never got banned from GM Place. I went to shows after that, it was just liquor that was banned. :) They stopped going to GM Place because they raised the rent for the building for WWE shows, that's what Carl DeMarco said once at an autograph signing in Vancouver. But all in all I think it is a must that they bring Wrestlemania to Vancouver. Our fans are loud, passionate and starved for the product out here. And hey I went to Wrestlemania 19 in Seattle and waited at the border. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

And P.S.- You were wondering when the last actual televised event was in Vancouver. It was in August of 2003 they had a Raw here, on top of the May 2000 event. The last PPV was in Dec 98 yes, also they had one in July of 96....where a crazy fan tried to jump in the ring and almost got stomped on by Ahmed Johnson and the British Bulldog. Come to think about it at the PPV in 98 a fan got ejected for an incident with the Headbangers. Yeah, Vancouver fans can be a little crazy, but they're fun.

Vancouver would be an awesome city to host Wretlemania. We have a 66,000 plus seat stadium (soon to have a retractable roof), descent transit system, and any kind of resturaunt you could imagine. So you don't just have to eat soup or sushi. Traffic isn't all that bad either, as it's so walkable that most people who do drive into the downtown core park thier car and walk around. I would absolutly love this to happen, and anyone who wants to bitch about it or my city in particular, especially Torontonians and Yanks, then simply stay home.

In the greater vancouver area and I went to the in your house ppv - international incident in 1996 at Gm Place. It was the one where the barrier fell down as fans tried to touch shawn michaels lol. I think warrior was suppose to be in the main event six man tag but that's when he left wwf for good and sid replaced him. I also remember going to a house show at the agrodome when Razor, Kid, Yoko, Owen, Goldust, Diesel was around, it was oct 27, 1995 from what i could find, i was pretty young. I've always wished for a wrestlemania coming here. The greater vancouver area is becoming big time with the olympics and events like UFC now coming...

Bottom line as long as WWE makes cash when they have Mania somewhere they dont care what the city is like when their not there. If Vancouver has a bad homeless problem and prostitues are being killed, then their just like every other major city. Only problem for me is, not knowing Vancouver is the fact that WWE has been sticking to major stadiums for the past 4 years including 26, only arena I can think of is the General Motors Place which wont seat more than 21,000 I'm assuming.

Bottom line as long as WWE makes cash when they have Mania somewhere they dont care what the city is like when their not there. If Vancouver has a bad homeless problem and prostitues are being killed, then their just like every other major city. Only problem for me is, not knowing Vancouver is the fact that WWE has been sticking to major stadiums for the past 4 years including 26, only arena I can think of is the General Motors Place which wont seat more than 21,000 I'm assuming.

I would assume that most likely place they will hold it BC Place Stadium which is home to the CFL team the BC Lions. I think this a pretty good idea for them opens up a new market and would give a second place in Canada to hold WM other then Toronto.

If they want to make WrestleMania look like a truly global event, then they have to hold it outside the US occaisionally. Europe presents time zone logistical problems and Australia is too sparse, so Canada is the only realistic option. Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto are the three biggest cities and Toronto has had it twice, so I don't see why Vancouver isn't a viable option. Both it and Montreal are close to the border, so it should just be a matter of who is the most willing, and that appears to be Vancouver right now.

I've never been to Vancouver, but the idea of having Mania there intrigues me.

I'm making the trek to Phoenix this year and would definitely go to Vancouver. It is nice for Mania to return to the same venues, but some new places would be fun to see.

There has to be a solid fan base within driving distance though. Sure people will travel from all over the world to get to Mania, but the locals must show. WWE would never risk poor attendance. WWE will do their homework and find a great location either way, be it Vancouver or somewhere else.

I know what you mean. Everything should revolve around the United States of America, the center of the universe and the greatest place in the universe. I don't know why people take vacations away from the USA, and I don't know why astrologists are bothering to find new places! All sports belong to the USA. And you're right: there's not enough junk food in Vancouver, or anywhere else that isn't the USA for that matter. The USA is large, in charge, and requires lots of junk food. Not to mention the best wrestlers come from the USA: Bret Hart, Owen Hart, Chris Jericho, Edge, Christian, etc. Don't question that list, Americans know everything. This is the USA's world, the rest of you are just privileged to be a part of it.

I used to live in Vancouver and it would be a great city to host Wrestlemania. Though I don't get why they would have the bid for 2013 or 2014. Is the bidding process that tense that you need to book the location years in advance? I am hoping they push a bid a little earlier like 2012.

I'm assuming that Vancouver would try to have it in the BC Place Stadium. If Vancouver wants it, they better get it in 2013, or else in all likelihood, it'll be the better part of 2017 before anyone else gets a Wrestlemanial. You have to assume that the WWE is going to go the New York, LA, Chicago route for Manias 30-32.

With next years Mania locked up for Atlanta, you have only 2 slots left to fill. Indianapolis has been a highly rumored site for Wrestlemania, along with another return trip to Toronto. Also, Orlando has been pushing for a return to the Citrus Bowl. You have to keep an eye on Cowboys Stadium in Dallas, which holds more then 80,000 fans.

Vancouver would be nice, but I think it's proximity to Seattle hurts it as Seattle has been a good Mania city.

Seattle did put on one hell of a great show for their Wrestlemania, and they sohuld be able to bring it back. But I feel that is the WWE keeps putting Wrestlemania in the same cities over and over again, it wears down on that city. That is why the WWE should have 3 new cities for every 8 new cities fore very ten years, keeping shows in LA and New York, as well as possibly in Chicago. The Northwest UNited States has only ever had one show, being in Seattle, so I think it is time to give another city in that region a chance.

I bet your to fat anyways to get out of your chair from eating all those burgers, pizzas & fries and I bet you dont have a passport?
Maybe you should read up on Vancouver because it is one of the most relaxed cities in north america and is one of the easiest cities to get around in unlike Seattle and is a 150 minute trip from Seattle and that is including getting across the boarder

it would be cool for Vancouver to get Wrestlemania. It is easier to travel up there from so cali, then some other places in the country. I read a report Vancouver, St. Louis, Miami, Tampa, Los Angeles, New York, and Dallas were bidding on Wrestlemania. I see Wrestlemania 28 possibly going to Vancouver. I see New York getting 30 and Los Angeles getting 29 or 31. Dallas can't do anything until their NCAA Final Four contract expires. I know they do no have the Final Four this year, but they do have the upcoming ones for 2 years I believe. LA is possibly building a new outdoor stadium once we get a team to move here, and I see that happening with San Diego or Jacksonville very soon.

I actually plan on going to Mania 29 or 30 and I've been to Vancouver before and it was very nice, lovely people would enjoy going their again and if it's hosting WM then I would be very up for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back