Wrestlemania 9: A Retrospective Look

Dagger Dias

One Winged Admin
Staff member
Administrator
This is the 9th of 29 Retrospective topics on previous Wrestlemania events. With Wrestlemania 30 approaching us each day, I wanted to take a few weeks to look back on the history behind the Wrestlemania brand before the big day in April. We are almost 1/3 of the way there now.

This time we will be observing the infamous Wrestlemania 9. While it is regarded by many as one of the worst Wrestlemania events of all time, it is still part of the brand's history, so here we go.

WrestleManiaIX.jpg

Wrestlemania 9 took place on April 4, 1993. It was held at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas, Nevada. There were 16,891 fans who attended the show. Here are the results of this show:

0. Tito Santana defeated Papa Shango in a singles match for the dark match. (08:00)

1. Tatanka (with Sensational Sherri) defeated Shawn Michaels (c) (with Luna Vachon) by countout in a singles match for the WWF Intercontinental Championship (18:13)

2. The Steiner Brothers (Rick and Scott) defeated The Headshrinkers (Samu and Fatu) (with Afa) in a tag team match (14:22)

3. Doink the Clown defeated Crush in a singles match (08:28)

4. Razor Ramon defeated Bob Backlund in a singles match (03:45)

5. Money Inc. (Ted DiBiase and Irwin R. Schyster) (c) defeated The Mega-Maniacs (Hulk Hogan and Brutus Beefcake) (with Jimmy Hart) by disqualification in a tag team match for the WWF Tag Team Championship (18:27)

6. Lex Luger defeated Mr. Perfect in a singles match (10:56)

7. The Undertaker (with Paul Bearer) defeated Giant Gonzalez (with Harvey Wippleman) by disqualification in a singles match (07:33)

8. Yokozuna (with Mr. Fuji) defeated Bret Hart (c) in a singles match to win the WWF Championship (08:55)

9. Hulk Hogan defeated Yokozuna (c) (with Mr. Fuji) in a singles match to win the WWF Championship (00:22)

Now, here are some discussion questions concerning the event:

What was your favorite match on this show, and why did you like it the most? What about the worst match of this show, why did you like it the least?

If you could change a few things about Wrestlemania 9, what would it be and why?

You may only use wrestlers who were available at the roster at that time or make changes that could have realistically taken place in April 1993. Please keep in mind the situations going into the show such as who could actually have been pushed into a title match, or what songs existed back then if you wanted to change the show's theme music, and so forth.

You may only discuss Wrestlemania 9 in this thread. The other Wrestlemania events will be getting their own retrospective threads shortly, any posts regarding other events will be considered spam and you risk getting an infraction.

Discuss! :)

This is an absolute low point in my personal wrestling history and even as a kid I thought it was utter baloney. Having since done a masochistic rewatch, apart from a couple of mirth-filled moments (Heenan on a camel), I just absolutely detest the thing almost from front to back. Shawn bumps around for Tatanka a lot, spending 18 minutes looking like a ragdoll and enhancing the hell out of his limited opponent...who never obliges in returning the favour. The best match was up next, with The Steiners and The Headshrinkers putting in a solid bit of work but by no means a classic.

From there the whole thing steams downhill at a rate of knots. I won't go through it match-by-match but nothing works. Matches that have a guy that you think might see the young tyro guiding his limited opponent into a decent match (Bret-Yoko, Perfect -Luger, Razor-Backlund) never get going. Money Inc were the correct winners of the tag match but they didn't get to look good in defence, and Hulk boobed it up for a good five minutes of celebrations after LOSING.

Then, adding insult to injury, Hogan wins the title in an unsanctioned match. Words cannot tell you how pissed off I was at this, at the time - and now! I stopped watching wrestling for years after this and only re-engaged by WM15. Does anyone know how they justfied this creatively? Or was it a case that the face had to go over at WM and that was that? Didn't they trust Bret? I did think that the ending to Doink v Crush was actually fairly good, in a weird way. At least it was somewhat original and picked up a match that was not too hot.

Positives were that although by next year they'd be less popular with No Hogan, there'd be no Hogan and the younger guys would begin to emerge. I also like that it was quite light all the way through the event and gave it a unique quality that I wouldn't be against recapturing.

Shawn should of faced Mr Perfect in this wm and lex could of beat tantaka cuz Shawn n curt would of had a five star classic

This was a weak Wrestlemania. Hart had gone from winning the Intercontinental title the year before to defending the belt against Yokozuna. I think most would acknowledge that Hart's first title reign was a little premature and more so out of necessity. This was where the WWF started to lose steam and WCW started to gain more of the market share I think. By this time Flair was gone, Warrior is gone, and Macho Man is sitting at the announce table. I think this when you started seeing less of your established AWA guys as well.

Mr. Perfect versus Luger was interesting. I like Luger much better as the Narcissist than as a rehash of Hogan's gimmick.

Hogan also went off on a tantrum here as well. Apparently Savage hit him the night before. He thought he was too big for a tag team title, and he pulled this nonsense about taking the title from Yokozuna immediately after Bret lost, then refused to drop the title to him at Summer Slam instead losing to Yoko.

This is an era I fear the WWE is currently getting closer too, IE cartoonish gimmicks like Doink and Giant Gonzalez.

WM9 is always going to be remembered for one thing and thats Hogan hogging the spotlight one more time. He had no business winning the WWF title,it was utter bullshit IMO. The Hart Vs Yokozuna match was good. Yoko back then,could go even at 500 plus pounds,he was an amazing athlete for someone his size. WM9 though,had a lot of stars in the making.

HBK was coming into his own character,and that match against Tatanka was the best of the night IMO. That was HBK's first being MR WM match IMO. That is what catapulted him. Having Money INC go over the Mega Maniacs was a bit of a surprise though albeit a DQ win. The Undertaker vs GG match,not a high point in takers career. Giant Gonzalez,was almost a frozen statue in terms of wrestling ability. Not his fault,not very athletic and the WWE made him look like a indestructible monster.

Lex Luger by that time had arrived. He was well on his way to competing for the WWF title later that summer. Luger was a very bright shining star on the horizon. The Steiner Brothers vs Headshrinkers match,was a good tag match much better than the Tag title match that would take place later that night. Crush Vs Doink match was okay,not a bad match after little buildup for that one. I really dont think you could do much to the card,to make it better.

The obvious choice would be having Yokozuna just walk out of WM champion and not have Hogan use his stroke to become champion.

For many this is the worst Mania of all time and it's hard to disagree (although 11 pips it for me just) something was really wrong in McMahonland at the time of this show and it spilled onto the screen for the world to see.

First off the "Toga Party" aspect, holding the event at Ceasar's Palace was a major botch. It gave the event an identity, but one that was hokey and screamed "FAKE WRESTLING EVENT TRYING TO BE MAINSTREAM", the venue wasn't suited to the event but you can tell Vince "got a deal" on it so they went with it. They'd have been far better returning to MSG or going to Boston than trying Las Vegas.

What was wrong with the WWF of the time was Vince's possible and eventual trial for the Steroids beef... for the 2nd half of 92 into 94 this was a major factor in decisions made, although the trial itself would not hit until 94.

That it was a possibility meant the WWF almost made conscious efforts to distance itself from anyone with the "wrestler look" of the past. Lex Luger was perhaps the only "traditional" guy on the card in the image Vince was known for favouring. Everyone else had visibly slimmed down, lost mass or simply got bulkier like Scott Steiner and Crush.

The talent on offer was severely lacking, as Ric Flair, Warrior, Piper, Davey Boy, Marty Jannetty, Big Bossman, Sgt Slaughter, Jacques Rougeau had all been released or depushed to the point of non value... some due to the steroid issue, some because Vince had squeezed what he could out of them and got cheaper replacements in.

The biggest shift had been new World Champion Bret Hart, it had been telling that his two PPV defences to that point had been against "midcard" talent, Shawn Michaels and Razor and now he was going to face the most anti-roided wrestler in Yokozuna in a match he had no hope of winning.

Was Yoko a bad talent, not at all, for his size he was extremely agile and the Sumo gimmick was refreshing. But this was classic "rocket ship to the moon" territory, his booking to win the Rumble was clumsy and ruined somewhat by the idiotic Randy Savage pin attempt. Yoko was in that spot so Vince could point to him and say to his accusers "Look, my top two guys are clearly not roid users, what more do you want?" Of course this didn't wash so he was left with a problem... How to sell your biggest PPV, the majority of which is made up of talent who have debuted less that 2 years prior? Of course he went cap in hand to Hogan.

Much has been made of Hogan's return and Vince's relationship with him. Did he NEED Hogan at the event? Not really, but he seemed intent on not using Randy Savage by that point, the one guy who could have been inserted into the card and carry the "big name" aspect. So Hogan came on board, ostensibly in a much reduced role to his normal one, a tag title match teaming with Brutus Beefcake? Brutus "The man with no face" Beefcake? While Randy Savage commentated?

Of course what happened shows why this match was made but the logic was baffling at the time the card was announced and even up to the show itself... The Mega Powers reforming against Money Inc would have sold the event and given Bret and Yoko the breathing space needed to focus on what they had to do. Putting Brutus, a man who through no fault of his own had no business wrestling at all in there made it obvious where they were going but we'll get to that.

The card itself was dull, dull, dull. Papa Shango paid for his botch the prior year by being in the dark match. The show opened with Shawn Michaels for the 2nd year running only this time, the promise of WM8 has disappated somewhat. Shawn had won the IC title from Davey, perhaps as originally planned but the Summerslam match was still far too fresh in people's minds. they weren't ready for Davey to lose that belt yet, nor for him to leave and certainly weren't ready for Shawn to have it. But the change was made, primarily to add some spice to Bret's first PPV defence.

This was after his shocking betrayal of Jannetty at the Rumble that led to his release, it somewhat backfired though as the replacement was the undefeated Tatanka, someone who was being pushed at a stronger rate than Shawn was. He knew it too. Tatanka and others in shoots have said how Shawn sabotaged what was supposed to be an IC win by planting seeds of Tatanka having an "attitude". What is clear is that Shawn had Vince's ear even at this point, so for the 2nd PPV running we got a clusterfuck ending, Shawn retaining the title with Sherri shoehorned in there. That Shawn didn't actually lose that IC title ever tells a lot about what happened here. Tatanka got the win but it was a hollow one and soon his push was over.

Crush made his PPV return against the debuting Doink in a match that was at one stage to involve Davey Boy. The story is that Diana had put the idea into Davey's head that this was a demotion and they were making fun of him by "wrestling a clown". Doink was a great character in that Matt Borne iteration, and the double Doink idea was very novel. Crush did enough to be the next fed to Shawn and then he was legit hurt in a match with Yoko that kept him out for nearly a year. It was a shame as Kona Crush was an interesting character, not what you'd expected from him and with time it could have gotten over more than his eventual heel return did.

The Steiners first Wrestlemania appearance is forgettable. Brought in as the replacements for the LOD, Vince just never seemed comfortable pushing them. Perhaps their reps were as fierce as he'd heard and didn't want the hassle he'd had with LOD again. The match with the Headshrinkers is only really memorable for the unintentionally hilarious and somewhat phallic "Brainscan" drawing by Heenan. Vince apparently didn't want the team at all, just Scott and to make him the next Bret Hart - the brothers stuck together and that led to their leaving but you could tell even here, they weren't gonna be around for long.

If there is ever an embarrasing moment that feeds the "it's fake" crowd it was Giant Gonzales vs Undertaker. In WCW El Gigante was a necessity, a Ball player contracted to Turner's team who couldn't play anymore...so they made him a wrestler and he was awful. There was no logic, reason or benefit in Vince signing him but for whatever reason he did... maybe it was expressly to feed him to Taker but the outcome was the worst 2 moments of Taker's career, the abysmal Rumble moment and then their match at Mania. Mercifully it was short but it really did nothing for Taker when there were other options... He could have been the one to team with Hogan, he could have taken on Yoko allowing Bret to face off against Hennig or Lex Luger, all would have been better than what he got... the proof in the pudding is that this is the one match of the streak that NEVER gets mentioned.

Lex Luger v Mr. Perfect on paper should have been a good match, it almost was. Lex did look good in the ring at the time and it's easy to see why Vince picked him for the mega push shortly afterwards. Hennig was the one who perhaps didn't bring his A-game that night, be it a hangover of his back problems, be it him pissed he wasn't getting a main event with Bret or pissed that he was going to have to work with Shawn, the guy who he had just ratted out for lying to Vince wasn't thrilling him. Who knows but this and Summerslam 93 were the matches where he looked his worst and almost better off retired... that he had the rematch with Bret at KOTR means they could have done it at Mania if they'd wanted...

Razor Ramon's first Mania was memorable but more for his opponent. Bob Backlund had returned at the Rumble and had confounded expectations. He had gone an hour and raised many a WTF? from the fans with his frankly bizarre ring demeanour, moving like a lovechild of Eugene and Muhammed Ali. This carried on into Mania, no music, intro in the ring... This was the last true "squash" at Mania in the tradition of SD Jones and George Wells... but the guy over the ring from Ramon had been the man for 7 years before Hogan... Whatever Backlund was doing at the time was good enough to keep him around and he evolved into the Mr. Backlund character that was at times genius... What this did for Razor was give him a very strong win over and give that first spark that he could work as a face. Much of the crowd wanted him to kill "Opie" as Heenan would call him. By Summerslam he had turned and never looked back.

So we come to it... the main event... I want to go on record and say nothing was Yoko or Bret's fault - the match was a mismatch of styles and was never going to be a classic. In many ways you can liken this to Montreal, I can imagine Bret being told for a good spell he was going over, Yoko being told the same and then both guys finding out on the night what was really going down. If I had been Bret I'd have been off to WCW as soon as possible but Hogan already had that avenue covered as well. For Yoko all the good work done by Bret to put him over was wasted the moment they allowed the ridiculous challenge from Fuji... if your manager does that and you lose, you squash him after... not stick with him for another year.

Hogan swanned out and Bret allegedly says "go for it", he was probably saying "Fuck you Terry" but Hogan walks out the champion, as we all knew he would the moment he was teamed with Beefcake not Savage... had it been the latter, Randy would never have stood for Bret losing the title that way only for Hogan to pick it up. Perhaps thats WHY he was sidelined for the show.

My problem with it is simple, Vince had nuked a lot of talent in that year, some enforced but others like Flair were not forced and this had also happened the year before and the year before that... indeed since Mania 6 main event level guys had systematically been "weeded out" by Hogan and Warrior... Imagine if Rude had stayed, by 9 he would have been a champion once or twice over, perhaps facing Bret and putting him over. If Roddy Piper was still there he and Bret could have rematched from the prior year with Roddy finally going for the World title. If Big Bossman was still there, he would have made a better challenger to Bret as a Big Man than Yoko.

Hogan had once again engineered it to perfection, he could swan in for one big payday on the promise of working with Bret at Summerslam then not do so, jobbing out to Yoko but only in the most inanely stupid way possible... and Vince LET him do it, that's the crime he did commit in that period, letting Hogan control so much talent wise that 93-95 became the near death knell for his company regardless of the trial outcome. When Savage walked the story and accepted version is Vince was deeply hurt, why? he'd not used him for 2 years by that point... Most guys would leave and Vince was lucky others didn't follow suit.

It's hard to find much positive in that era, every decision made seemed to be bad with only mild chinks of light such as King Of The Ring, the signing of Bam Bam and Monday Night RAW, the hiring of Jim Ross and Jerry Lawaler cutting through the gloom. Vince nearly lost the WWF, we nearly lost the WWF and this show was a big, big part of that.

How would I have changed it.. it's hard to say as I would have been making changes all along so my roster of 93 would be far different. In keeping with the realistic changes I would certainly bring Bam Bam in a few months earlier if possible and match him with Earthquake or Jacques if he's a face.

I'd have had Hogan and Savage team against Money Inc and win the titles. Yoko would have faced Undertaker and Bret would have gone against Piper or if I could at all save him, Davey in a rematch from Summerslam if not and Piper was a no, then Hennig.

It was the first WrestleMania I watched and is certainly up there with the worst.

Looking back now, I think Bam Bam Bigelow should have taken Giant Gonzalez place, even back at the RR, imagine if BBB had eliminated Undertaker.

Tatanka & Luger were both undefeated at this stage, and had a match at KoTR a couple of months after WM9. Maybe it should have happened here.

Razor Ramon vs Bob Backlund was just poor & the match was a filler at best. They probably could have put him in with Owen Hart or Tito Santana.

Yokozuna v Bret Hart(c)
The Mega-Maniacs vs Money Inc.(c)
Undertaker vs Bam Bam Bigelow
HBK(c) vs Mr. Perfect
Doink The Clown vs Crush
Razor Ramon vs Tito Santana
The Steiners vs Headshrinkers
Lex Luger vs Tatanka

After following 6,7, & 8. 9 really didn't follow through well. While I don't think it was necessarily a great Mania, I still wouldn't consider it the worst. (Come see me about the worst when we reach 11 and 27 ;) )

It seemed like it was more an experimental event. They were trying a lot of firsts. Ceasers palace, Toga party, first outdoor ppv. Some of it was rather entertaining, like Heenan riding the camel, the 2 doinks, the Vegas crowd cheering for Ramon, and Luger coming to the ring with those lovely dames. Maybe the beginning could have been cut down and just get right to the opening match, and I would have add the Tito/Papa Shango dark match on the actual card. It seemed like it was a shorter event then others.

There were 2 awesome matches on that card that I enjoyed. Tatanka/HBK for the I.C belt and the Steiners/Headshrinkers tag team match. I think the Steiners/Headshrinkers match was better maybe because I wasn't pleased with the outcome of Tatanka/HBK. Yes I was enjoying the IC title match but the end result was dumb. Here we think Tatanka (a star that they're pushing to the moon with an undefeated streak) is going to win the strap with his finisher and go over Shawn. BUt the ref looks like he's going to make the count but declare the match a count out instead. Stupid outcome. Tatanka should have had the strap. He was going over anyway It spoiled a great match. That's what I would have changed, and I still would have had Luna attack sherri at the end because that was gold opening a new feud for sherri. Then HBK could continue on with his feud with Janetty or with Henning for the summer of 93.

I might be in the minority for this but I was actually stoked to see Hogan close the show off winning the title at Mania. I was 12 at the time and a Hulkamaniac. From what it sounded it looked like this was indeed Hogan's last Mania (at least for a long time) so give him that very last run and moment, especially since he would have dropped the title at the next PPV. I know him and Brutus had a match with Money Inc for the Tag Team Titles earlier which is all good. I don't think I would make it for the belts.

One Wretlemania moment that comes to mind is after Giant Gonzalez knocked out Taker with that chlorophyll, Taker comes back out to settle the score with the Giant and Randy Savage on commentary said "You can't kill a dead man" I really liked the announce team at that event. J.R's first appearance in WWF/E Heenan, and Savage I thought had good chemistry. Throw Heenan on any table it would sound great LOL

There's so much to say about WrestleMania 9 and yet, somehow, so little to say about it.

I mean, it was what it was. The results of several years of poor management decisions, a new low point in terms of talent, and backstage politics and cronyism noticeably hurting the actual product and in such a way that it was impossible to turn a blind eye to.

Best match, IMO, was still the Main Event. It was the only match on the card that I found interesting in the slightest, and the radically mismatch in size and style made Hart vs. Yokozuna a entertaining match. I actually always liked the matches these two had together. Yoko was a different kind of monster heel, and was still agile enough at this point to surprise you. Hart was able to get creative with the ways that he would "take the monster off his feet" like tangling his angle in the ropes, surprise moves that would catch Yoko off guard, and the like. The problem is that it just didn't feel like a big time match, probably because Yoko was so new, relatively.

Worst match - Meh. Tough to say. They all underperformed. For all that is made of the mystique and prestige of performing at WrestleMania today, none of that must've been felt in 1993. I don't think anyone brought their A game that night, with maybe the exception of Hart and Yokozuna. I'll say Undertaker Vs. Giant Gonzalez on the pure basis of having to watch a guy in a muscle suit, but I haven't really watched this PPV since I saw it live, and I don't think I ever will again. However, given the absolute non-talent that Gonzalez was, I'm pretty sure that's on the mark.

I can't even really articulate how to fix it because it would've had to undo so much the major politics that were going on at the time. I'll take a stab at it:

Main Event: Bret Hart Vs. Randy Savage - Just because it would've been a better marquee match with what was available, and I'm sure both of these guys would've given us a great match. Turn Savage heel in the weeks leading up this, and let him go bonkers on Hart here. At least it'd be fun to watch.

Undertaker Vs. Yokozuna - Simply a better substitution for Gonzalez, who in a better world, would never have been hired. Undertaker goes over here via DQ, but helps firmly establish Yokozuna as the new monster in town. Yokozuna would take the title for Hart later at King of the Ring rather than WrestleMania.

World Tag Team Title Match: Money Inc Vs. The Steiner Brothers - Yeah...I'm erasing Hogan from existance on this one. Same with his buddy Brutus. If we're going to bring in the top tag team from the competition, use them. Create a dream match, as much as they could. Of course all of this assumes a sane, less self-destructive Vince McMahon, but hey, a guy could dream couldn't he?

IC Title Match: Marty Jannetty Vs. Shawn Michaels - Yeah, yeah, Jannetty was on the outs again at this point. Whatever. Since this is a pure fantasy and rebuild of the most horrid WrestleMania ever IMO, once again, I'm rewriting backstage politics as well. Jannetty takes the title from Shawn before WrestleMania, not after, and this sets up a rubber match between the two inside of a steel cage which hadn't been seen in WrestleMania since WM 2, believe it or not. Michaels regains the title, and Jannetty is given another moment to shine and possibly keep some traction in his career.

I would much rather have had Flair around for this card, so we could've gotten Flair Vs. Perfect. It could even have been a loser leaves town match like they did earlier that year. If not, Luger Vs. Perfect would've been fine as well. Just wish the match hadn't been so damn dull.

Blech, that's it. This was pretty much the point that I stopped getting the WWF pay per views on a regular basis, and just stuck to the WrestleManias, and soon that stopped as well for a time.

Wrestlemania IX holds a place in my heart because its the first Wrestlemania i watched live. It was the reason i started going to the video store and renting every ppv from the past that my mom would let me. So watching this show with limited knowledge of the past, i loved it. I loved the Roman Colosseum theme, I loved the commentary team, there were some great entrances (i.e. Lex Luger, Undertaker) and I was a huge Bret Hart fan. However, some things did kind of annoy me, even through a kid's perspective. I think Tatanka should have walked away with the belt. If they were going to build him up as this unstoppable babyface on the rise, why have him win via countout at your biggest show? There had to have been some kind of politics involved in that or something. I also thought the Undertaker match was odd (other than Gonzalez's right attire). It seemed like this match should have happened at the Rumble or somewhere that led into Wrestlemania. Then their Mania match would be a clean win for Undertaker. Then there was the main event. I may be a little bias here because Bret Hart was my guy, but i hated the ending. I was already upset that Yoko won the match. And then, out of nowhere, Hogan's the new World Champion? What just happened? It didnt make any sense. But overall i still enjoyed the show.

This event is just PAINFUL to get through. The 1st 2 matches were good (Rick Steiner powerslamming Fatu while on top of Samu's shoulders is amazing to watch) but after that it all went to shit, getting shittier and shittier as it went on.

1st thing I would change is probably the same thing everyone would change, not give Hogan the 5th title reign as it essentially pushed WWE back a year as a result. Hogan wins the title and loses it 2 months to Yokozuna, why not just have Yoko leave as champ? Why not just have Bret beat Yoko if their plan was to make him the top guy all along? Apparently the initial plan (according to Bret) was for Hogan to take the title at Wrestlemania 9 and win the title from Hogan at Summerslam (and considering they were teasing the crap out of this match in '93 I believe it) but since it didn't happen it just wasted a bunch of time. It gave Luger a shot at the top but that didn't work out either. I'm sure there were reasons outside of politics to make Hogan champ at Wrestlemania 9 but ultimately it just wasted a ton of time. More than any Wrestlemania that is 1 booking decision I would have changed.

My favorite match would be the Headshrinkers vs. The Steiner Brothers. I thought it was an awesome tag match from start to finish, had a great pace and once again Steiner powerslamming Fatu in mid air is still one of the coolest things I've seen in wrestling. HBK vs. Tatanka is a close second but for my taste the tag match edges it out.

Worst match would have to be Undertaker vs. Giant Gonzalez. From a visual standpoint it was phenomenal watching these 2 giants stare off, The Undertakers entrance on the chariot was sweet but once that bell rang I wish Giant Gonzalez came out the TV screen and chloroformed me. Being 7'6" gives a wrestler an enormous advantage but Giant Gonzalez was less than useless in the ring, he makes Khali look like Kurt Angle by comparison. Truth be told almost any event Giant Gonzalez wrestled in during his WWE time would be considered a low point. Just awful.

Outside Hogan winning the title the booking made pretty good sense (although I would have made the Mega Maniacs tag champs but really doesn't matter) so I wouldn't change any of the matches as most of them looked like a good idea on paper but it just didn't pan out for the most part. Hogan winning the title to close out the show though was one of the most counter productive things WWE has ever done.

Couple of notes:

1) Giant Gonzalez was actually NOT horrible. His work as El Gigante in WCW is much better than his WWF work. His body was already breaking down at this point and his character was supposed to be a scary no seller. If he had not been in that ridiculous outfit he might have been a little easier to stomach as well.

2) The Mega Maniacs didn't win the tag titles because Hulk Hogan refused, not wanting to have the low grade belts. To me this was a huge mistake.

If I could redo WM 9 I would have done the following:
1) Tatanka defeats Shawn Michaels cleanly for the IC Championship
2) Moved the Tag Title match to the 3rd to last on the card and have Hogan and Beefcake win the straps
3) Undertaker defeats Gigante clean after say 2-3 clotheslines from the top
4) Yokozuna defeats Bret Hart. WM 9 ends with Yoko holding the strap and Fuji waiving the Japanese flag with the announcers asking if anyone could stop Yokozuna.

First of all before everything.In my opinion this WM had one of the greatest stages of all time {this and WM 17 are close together} so this is indeed something that I think is worth mentioning.
Now for the event itself.Except for the Main Event no one really remembers this WM {except from some entrance & IC title match & the tag title match - at least for me}.
The main event of WM 9 is in my opinion one of the worst decisions ever made in wrestling because having Yokozuna who was majorly built to win the title only to lose it immidiatley to Hogan - who lost earlier in the night {!} is a stupid booking.

So this WM was one of the worst WM I saw - and like WM 16 it was saved a little bit by 2 good/great mid card matches for the tag titles and the IC title {Note:at WM 16 it was also for the European title},

Not a particularly good Mania, but I am a sucker for this time frame because I was old enough to remember what happened at these shows. I have no problem with what I will call the 3 main event matches (bret/Yoko, Money Inc./Mega Maniacs and Taker/Gonzalez). These were all matches that had good builds and the right guys in the right places. The only thing I would change from this group would be Yoko leaving as champ and thus getting rid of the Hogan angle at the end. What I would change would be the undercard singles matches. I still have no idea how the Perfect/Flair retirement match didn't happen at Mania. I know Flair was on his way out but they couldn't keep him around for 2 more months? If you can nail down that match than you look at your midcard faces and heels. Now Luger was the next biggest heel as the plan was for a strong quick build. He needed an opponet that was a solid face that the company had no asperations of building. For me that screams Tito. I would still keep the IC title match and have it go down as it did since Shawn was in the midst of a long title reign and Tatanka needed to keep his streak going. I would change opponents between Razor, Backlund, Doink and Crush as having Razor v Backlund served no purpose for Razor and a Doink/Backlund match sets up an easy story of the old guard against the latest fad.

New Card:

IC Title Match Michaels (c) v Tatanka: Same result
Steiners v Headshrinkers: Same result
Doink v Backlund: Doink gets the win as he was still on his way up.
Razor v Crush: Razor via cheating so as to still keep Crush strong.
Tag Title Match Money Inc. (c) v Mega Maniacs: Same result
Retirement Match Mr. Perfect v Ric Flair: Same result as they had on Raw.
Taker v Gonzalez: Same result
WWF Title Match Bret Hart (c) v Yokozuna: Same result minus the Hogan stuff.

The best match on the card was Tatanka and Shawn. Partly because it was a good match but also because none of the main event matches lived up to the hype.

To those who think Yokozuna should have won and walked cleanly out. I agree...but I can't think of many main event Wrestlemanias for the title that doesn't have the face winning over the heel. Even though Bret lost, Hogan came in as the baby face and won. I don't like it either, and I don't care for Hogan, but the Mania usually doesn't have heels winning out in the main event for a title.

Just want to point out I have worked ahead again. I typed my response a couple day ago but haven't been on line today to post. These were my original thoughts before reading any other responses so sorry if I'm repeating someone else's thoughts.

This one is probably going to generate a lot of discussion. WM9 is often considered one of the worst manias and while I don’t think it’s quite as bad as most people make it out to be I have to admit it definitely ranks near the bottom of the mania list.

I’d say my favorite match was Shawn Michaels vs. Tatanka. It wasn’t a Michaels mania classic like be became accustomed to in the following years but it was still a solid match. The finish was pretty weak and the outcome not very satisfying at all considering the build but until the final bell the match was pretty good. The Steiner Brothers vs. The Headshrinkers was good too. This one seems to get overlooked, maybe due to lack of storyline, but I suggest giving this one another look if you haven’t seen it in a while.

My least favorite match was Bob Backlund vs. Razor Ramon. This may have been better had WWF done a better job of hyping Backlund’s comeback, but he just wasn’t taken as a serious competitor. Despite his past accomplishments Backlund seemed like an inferior opponent for Razor. Razor had only been in the WWF for about eight months or so but he came in big feuding with Randy Savage and Bret Hart right off the bat. Backlund was a step down. I try to convince myself that the former champion making a comeback was a big time opponent but WWF didn’t do a good enough job selling the Backlund comeback. It didn’t help matters that Razor quickly and easily beat him.

Now the tough part. What changes to make to improve WM9. There are a few different ways to go. The first one that always comes to mind is making the main event Bret Hart defending the title against Randy Savage. These are two all time great performers and I’m sure they could have delivered a mania classic, something this mania was lacking. Plus a clean win over a legend like Savage would have helped to solidify Hart as the number one guy in the company. Savage was wasted at the announce booth that night. He may have been getting older but he still had something to offer.

So what to do with Yokozuna? He could have gone against Hacksaw Jim Duggan but that’s a pretty drastic change for someone that won the title at mania. Also could have put him in a scheduled one on one match against Hulk Hogan for his comeback. The problem with that is losing to Hogan at mania hurts his rise to the top in 1993. Maybe Yoko could have taken the title off Hart before mania, maybe at the rumble, and then lost it to Hogan in the main event. Yoko would look good going into mania as champ and still could have regained the title at KOTR. This would have saved the Hart/Ramon feud for mania. With Hogan being away from the tag title match Money Inc. could have defended against either The Steiner Brothers or The Nasty Boys with the other team wrestling The Headshrinkers. I also would have like to have seen Bam Bam Bigelow on this show. He was originally scheduled to wrestle Kamala but once again time played a role and another mania match had to be scrapped. Kamala wouldn’t have been my ideal opponent for Bigelow anyway. I don’t know if there was a better choice though. Maybe Crush. Crush didn’t need to be the opponent to get Doink over. Tito Santana could have done that or maybe The Big Boss Man if he would have stayed with the company just a couple months longer.

There were a lot of different ways to go with WM9. It was a transitional time for the WWF with all the old talent that had left the company and all the new talent that had come in just since SummerSlam it was going to be hard to live up to the blockbuster matches of years past.

I never saw this as the worst wrestlemania at all. For one, I thought they had the best venue of any wrestlemania to date.

My favourite match was when Hogan came down the isle to console Bret Hart in a show of true good sportsmanship only to be challenged by an overconfident Mr. Fuji to take on Yokozuna for his belt.
With Bret Hart's blessing, Hogan answered the call as the true hero he was meant to be, never backing down from a challenge. Classic dust in the face heel blunder and it was over before you knew it. Just a classic face/heel situation. This was a "finger poke of doom" type situation actually done right.
I thought the crowd actually ate it up and the belt was back on the man. One of the better moments in wrestlemania's history for me. Just a beautiful moment in wrestling.

My least favourite match was Razor Ramon vs Bob Backlund. I thought wrestlemania at least warranted a Razor's edge, the match was well below what the two wrestlers were capable of.

What would I change?

Mr. Perfect goes over Lex Luger instead of the other way around.

I would've had Luna help Shawn Michaels to win rather than have the match end in a count out.

I also would have had Hogan and Brutus Beefcake win the tag team championships.

Last but not least a slam on Yokozuna by Hogan instead of the axe bomber.

I've really enjoyed all of the Wrestlemania Retrospective threads thus far, so keep them coming!

I haven't really participated before, because I think the previous Wrestlemania's for the most either were mostly fine the way they are, or I don't have any really strong ideas on how to change them. Wrestlemania IX, however, I have some ideas in general on how it should've been different and a much better event than we got.

First off, I wouldn't change the theme or setting one bit. I've always loved the outdoor, Roman theme of Wrestlemania IX. It really stood out as an event and is still maybe the most unique Wrestlemania even ever. I've read over the years some people criticize the fact that it was in Las Vegas and they went with the Roman theme, I guess those people don't have much creativity or imagination or appreciate unique presentations for events. To me, that's the only good part about Wrestlemania IX really. So the show stays in Las Vegas at Caesar's Palace outdoors with the Roman theme.

The biggest flaw of Wrestlemania IX was the lack of a classic match. It is one of three Wrestlemania's (the others being 2 and 11) that doesn't have a single match on the card that's worthy of being considered for a list of the 30 best Wrestlemania matches of all-time (yeah I wouldn't consider Diesel and HBK from 11). Wrestlemania IX desperately needed some classic matches or even one at least. And contrary to popular belief, the WWF wasn't lacking in talent to make that happen. They certainly had the talent, it's just booking and the creative direction of the company was at a lowpoint, mostly due to politics and fear of the future.

So with that said, I've done long posts before about how I would've changed the main event of Wrestlemania IX, and I still stand by that. I'm not gonna go into a long, epic discussion on it, but I would simply have Wrestlemania IX's main event be Bret Hart vs. Randy Savage for the Championship in a babyface vs. babyface matchup. Savage would've won the Royal Rumble match last eliminating Yokozuna (though I would've made it more like Yoko accidentally eliminated himself in some fashion and his dominant run in the Rumble still intact to make him strong), thus setting up the babyface match. Contrary to what Vince McMahon thought at the time, Savage was still in great shape and had just come off one of the best years of his career (1992), so even if he was a bit past his prime, Bret was the best wrestler in North America (if not the world) at that point so they easily could've had one of the greatest Wrestlemania matches of all-time in that case. Plus, Bret desperately needed to wrestle one of the big stars of the previous era on ppv to get him more over, and Savage would've been perfect for the bill. Bret would've won the match with a fluke like pin, thus setting the seeds for an eventual Savage heel turn and the feud that would've defined the WWF for 1993, culminating at that year's Summerslam.

As for where that would've let Yokozuna. I would still book him to eventually win the title later in the year, and thus his dominant run to the championship would continue at Wrestlemania. Hacksaw Jim Duggan had a somewhat minor feud that most featured on Superstars early in the year with Yoko putting him on the shelf with the Banzai Drop. I would've had them have a match at Wrestlemania as Hacksaw was still over with the crowd and a dominant win over Hacksaw at Wrestlemania would keep Yoko's momentum going for his eventual championship run.

Another match that I would've changed is the Undertaker match. No offense to Giant Gonzalez, I wouldn't have ever signed him to a contract. Yes he was huge, but there were plenty of other bigger wrestlers in the company who could actually work to put with Taker at Wrestlemania. The man I would've put into the ring with Taker would be none other than Bam Bam Bigelow. Bam Bam could've either had his match with Boss Man at the Rumble and then interfere in the Rumble match eliminating Taker and starting their feud similar to the Taker/Gonzalez feud. Or just have Bam Bam simply re-debut at the Rumble in the Rumble match taking Taker out of the match and starting their feud like that. Either way, Bam Bam was one of the best super-heavyweights in the world at that point and could've worked a much better and possibly even great match at Wrestlemania with Taker. To keep Bam Bam strong, but not end the Streak prematurely, I would've had Bam Bam lose by disqualification to give Taker the win, but not have Bam Bam lose clean. Maybe have Luna Vachon come out and interfere causing the disqualification and starting the Luna/Bam Bam team earlier than what really happened.

I also would've done everything in my power to convince Ric Flair to stick around until Mania to save the Loser Leaves WWF match from Raw in January for Wrestlemania. That way having Flair/Hennig in Flair's last WWF match plus Hart/Savage for the title, you're guaranteed to have two classic matches at Wrestlemania instead of 0 like we got in real life. Flair obviously had no issues in putting Hennig over on the way out, so why not keep the feud going for a few months and culminate it at Wrestlemania, and have Flair leave on the big stage rather than on a simple TV show (remember Raw was brand new at that point and wasn't "big time" yet), which he deserved.

I'd also add Tito Santana to the card (who wrestled Papa Shango in a dark match) and have him go up against Razor Ramon. That could've been a solid 6-8 minute match with Razor going over. And then I'd switch Bob Backlund over to going up against Lex Luger with Luger squashing him. And like The Brain alluded to. WWE could've done a better job on capitalizing on Backlund's great comeback Rumble performance so Luger's win could mean more.

Other than that I would keep the card is. Tatanka was red hot at that point and having him going for the I-C title against HBK was definitely the right move considering Marty Jannetty wasn't around at that point. As much as I hated the ending when I was a kid watching it for the first time, ultimately with the way things turned out, it was the right move. Tatanka's streak definitely shouldn't have ended with a clean loss to HBK as HBK definitely didn't need the clean win. And ultimately as a Tatanka run with the I-C title would've been awesome it was just never right. If Tatanka had won the title, we would've missed out on the HBK/Jannetty matches over the I-C title (which was definitely the No. 1 feud needed for that title at that point), and then when Tatanka's streak finally came to an end later in the year to Ludvig Borga, Borga would've ended up with the title only to get injured and leave the company in a month or two. Which would've also really stalled Razor's face turn and I-C title win. And considering Razor, for my money was one of the top 2-3 I-C champions of the 90's (with Bret and HBK) I definitely wouldn't have wanted Razor's run to be delayed for a one month Borga run with the title. Sure Borga could've lost to Razor on the way out, or Borga's injury could've put the title in vacant status thus resulting in the exact same scenario in which Razor would've won the title anyway, but this would've been around Royal Rumble time which would've delayed Razor's first run with the title for a few months, but it would've made his first run less legitimate and it would've left no real cause for HBK and Razor to feud over the title (Shawn being stripped of the title and never losing it thus, still being the "real" I-C champion on his return). So ultimately, things turned out for the best with Tatanka winning by countout/D-Q at Wrestlemania but not the title.

The Steiners and the Headshrinkers was an awesome tag team match so it would've stayed.

Doink and Crush was a good mid-card feud with a really cool, innovative ending to the match so it would've stayed.

Having Hogan on the card as an attraction was definitely a good thing so having Hogan and Beefcake against Money Inc. was the perfect tag team championship match. Having Hogan on the card at this level was perfectly fine. Having him steal the title from Bret Hart for an absolutely worthless two month reign without a single defense until losing to Yoko was not okay. Keep Hogan away from the Title picture as having him in it did no good for anybody other than himself. If Hogan would've wrestled on Raw or house shows defending the title leading up to putting Yoko over at King of the Ring that would be one thing, but his win basically put the WWF title in limbo, which as they say nowadays, was bad for business.

So my final Wrestlemania card would've looked like this.....

1. Tatanka (Challenger) vs. Shawn Michaels (Champion) Intercontinental Championship Match

2. The Steiner Brothers vs. The Headshrinkers

3. Crush vs. Doink the Clown

4. The Undertaker vs. Bam Bam Bigelow

5. El Matador (Tito Santana) vs. Razor Ramon

6. The Mega Maniacs (Hogan/Beefcake) (Challengers) vs. Money Inc. (Dibiase/IRS) (Champions) Tag Team Championship Match

7. Hacksaw Jim Duggan vs. Yokozuna

8. Mr. Perfect vs. Ric Flair Loser Leaves WWF Match

9. Bob Backlund vs. Lex Luger

Main Event

10. Bret Hart (Champion) vs. Macho Man Randy Savage (Challenger) WWF Championship Match

Not the worst Wrestlemania of all time - clearly anyone who thinks that hasn't seen the abomination that is WM11...

• the venue - I see no issue with Vince trying out his biggest ppv in an arena (and city) famed for hosting major boxing cards. Ok the togas weren't needed but the venue was fine

• best match was the Steiners vs the Headshrinkers, even with the botched finish

• changes to the card:
(1) Jannetty shouldn't have been 86'd, and should have faced Shawn at Wrestlemania as planned
(2) the Mega Maniacs (awful name) should have won the tag titles, then lost them at KotR
(3) a deal/compromise should have been struck with Ric Flair - have his 'loser leaves town' match with Mr Perfect at Wrestlemania
(4) Even though I questioned the relationship in the WM8 thread, I would have played on Papa Shango's brief history with Harvey Wippleman and had him face the Undertaker, rather than the abysmal Gonzalez
(5) Yokozuna beats Hart but leaves WM as champion - a rare and shocking example of the heel going over to close the event (I would then have Yoko retain v Savage at KotR)

The problem with changing too much of the cards - particularly from WM9 onwards where the WWE increased it's ppv presence and had Raw to further storylines - is that too many 'fantasy' changes would risk changing the product forever.

Using many peoples' chosen 'edit' here as an example, 1993 was the first year in which the Royal Rumble winner was officially granted a title shot at WM (despite Hogan's '91 Rumble win effectively being used to justify his #1 contender status); to this end, the only way to have Savage in the title match is for him to win the Royal Rumble - not a bad idea as he got the pop of the night when he came out at #30. But the way WWE was booking Yokozuna, it was unthinkable that anyone could eliminate him - especially once he got his first real OMG! moment in suplexing the massive Earthquake over the top rope. 6 mid-card era couldn't eliminate him together, how would one expect Savage to alone? So the logistical choice would be to exclude Yokozuna from the Rumble match - perhaps bump his match and 'injury' of Hacksaw Jim Duggan to the Rumble undercard. Only that wouldn't have made sense either, given the stipulation to the Rumble: why would Mr Fuji introduce a monster, unstoppable heel and NOT have him enter the Rumble for a chance to headline WrestleMania?

That is why I elected to have Yoko still go over Hart for the title, but scrap the needless Hogan switch. Then Yoko could defeat the super-popular Savage at KotR, giving him a proper title defence over an established contender, and have him retain until WMX, as actually happened. Not only would this have built up Yoko more, but it also allows a more logical build to the Savage-Crush feud which was about to start - Savage's reasons for not helping Crush sooner would have been the memories of the beatings Yoko bestowed upon him at KotR.

Wrestlemania IX, therefore, is probably the first 'Mania where we kind of HAVE to foresee the impact to the future card in our fantasy booking reduxes

I understand the reason behind the hatred for this event, specially for people that can't stand Hulk Hogan's ego. If one has to analyse the event alone and not care for the backgrounds or the "what could have been" this event was an okay show. Some matches delivered, some didn't and most of them had a purpose.

Lex Luger debuted at The Royal Rumble and he was booked as a future main-eventer and the "special one" of some sorts right out of the bat and a match and a victory against Mr. Perfect, a veteran, was good booking. Sure, just thinking that Perfect and Shawn could have had a showdown at WrestleMania makes me angry for not happening, but Luger was clearly the guy to push and not Michaels, so I understand giving him "the bigger fish".

I also get why they made The Steiners v. Headshrinkers, it was simply too soon to give The Steiners the title shot and Hulk Hogan taking on Ted Dibiase was a bigger match, even if it was on a tag team bout. I enjoyed both matches for what they were, but Hogan was everywhere and that took away a lot of the show for most fans. You can almost see the "fear" in Hogan's eyes of losing popularity and his fans.

Crush vs. Doink was awful, nobody cared for any of them. Tatanka v. Shawn Michaels was interesting, because Tatanka was undefeated by then, the match delivered but both gimmicks were so far apart that was/is really hard to get emotional invested in it. Undertaker v. Gonzales was a special attraction, not really a potential show-stealer but more of a way to show that The Undertaker doesn't fear size and bla bla, it has a purpose and it is a WrestleMania moment. People do remember Gonzales and he pretty much only did that for WWF.

And you also have Yokozuna in there and Yokozuna is not a good worker and the current state of pro-wrestling fans is that "you need to be fast and to do a lot" and Yokozuna just simply didn't do that. He was a big guy taking on the fan favorite, he won the match fair and square which was fine for what it was since Yokozuna was the #1 heel and at the same time being pretty much the most credible guy on the roster - that would surely give a big rub for the one that would take the title away from him.

Unfortunately Vince McMahon needed Hulk Hogan to not let the business die. Which later proved to be a bad investment and how full of shit Hogan was and how his ego killed most of the potential for 1993. But I for once think that this WrestleMania was "okay". It had an all theme for it, it didn't have a lot of matches and a lot of storylines that could make me get lost so when I watched it, I was fine with it. As a wrestling fan there are several things I would change, specially knowing who's who and what happened after that. However in that environment having to deal with the decisions like Vince did, I'm sure he believes that he delivered the best he could. WrestleMania 11 is the worst of all time and nothing really touches it.

Shawn vs Tatanka was a good match, but I would have liked to see him wrestle Mr. Perfect. I know they were building and pushing Tatanka, but the ending was brutal. I also thought they should have had Macho win the Royal Rumble, turn into a psycho angry heel, and put Bret over, as that could have built him even more and given him a credible win over a serious opponent at the big event. The other side to that argument is that Bret's title run was premature as others have said, and it wasn't a bad move taking the title off him.

The problem with changing too much of the cards - particularly from WM9 onwards where the WWE increased it's ppv presence and had Raw to further storylines - is that too many 'fantasy' changes would risk changing the product forever.

Using many peoples' chosen 'edit' here as an example, 1993 was the first year in which the Royal Rumble winner was officially granted a title shot at WM (despite Hogan's '91 Rumble win effectively being used to justify his #1 contender status); to this end, the only way to have Savage in the title match is for him to win the Royal Rumble - not a bad idea as he got the pop of the night when he came out at #30. But the way WWE was booking Yokozuna, it was unthinkable that anyone could eliminate him - especially once he got his first real OMG! moment in suplexing the massive Earthquake over the top rope. 6 mid-card era couldn't eliminate him together, how would one expect Savage to alone? So the logistical choice would be to exclude Yokozuna from the Rumble match - perhaps bump his match and 'injury' of Hacksaw Jim Duggan to the Rumble undercard. Only that wouldn't have made sense either, given the stipulation to the Rumble: why would Mr Fuji introduce a monster, unstoppable heel and NOT have him enter the Rumble for a chance to headline WrestleMania?

That is why I elected to have Yoko still go over Hart for the title, but scrap the needless Hogan switch. Then Yoko could defeat the super-popular Savage at KotR, giving him a proper title defence over an established contender, and have him retain until WMX, as actually happened. Not only would this have built up Yoko more, but it also allows a more logical build to the Savage-Crush feud which was about to start - Savage's reasons for not helping Crush sooner would have been the memories of the beatings Yoko bestowed upon him at KotR.

Wrestlemania IX, therefore, is probably the first 'Mania where we kind of HAVE to foresee the impact to the future card in our fantasy booking reduxes

It's pretty simple really how to eliminate Yoko and have Savage win the Rumble, while keeping Yoko dominant.

Keep Yoko's run in the Rumble same, have him eliminate 6-7 people like he did including Earthquake, etc. Have it come down to Savage and Yoko, just like in reality. Have Yoko beat the crap out of Savage for a number of minutes making the crowd think he's done for. Savage is up against the ropes, Yoko comes charging at him to push him over, but Savage moves, and Yoko slips over the ropes and tumbles over and falls to the ground. It's been done countless times over the years in Battle Royals and other Rumble matches. The big super-heavyweight appears to not be able to lose only to become too cocky, rushes a smaller guy, smaller guy moves, and the big guy loses his balance and is eliminated by his own momentum. Simple as that.

With my 1993 booking, I would've centered the product around Savage/Bret and Yoko's rise to the top through the year. At King of the Ring, Bret would defend the title against someone (Perfect, HBK, Razor, Bam Bam, whomever) while the Finals would come down to Yoko and Savage, only this time Yoko would defeat Savage and win the King of the Ring, while the tension between Bret and Savage boils over (who interfered in the match on Savage's behalf to counter Fuji/Cornette) and results in Savage snapping, finally turning heel, going psycho and the feud ends at Summerslam in another title match with a No Holds Barred type match. Afterwards Yoko can win the title, feud with Lex, and Bret can start his feud with Lawler which would last throughout the fall/winter (which was the same amount of time his real feud lasted during the Summer), while Yoko moves onto Lex and Taker, and then things go back into place at Wrestlemania X with Bret triumphing over Yoko and winning his second title.

With this scenario, Bret gets his first real reign with the title that he deserved, Savage gets one last great main event run that he more than deserved, Yoko still becomes a dominant legend in the making winning the King of the Ring instead of the Rumble and still getting his career defining achievement along with his one championship run (lasting from September-March instead of June-March like in real life really doesn't matter all that much), the Lawler/Bret and Lex/Yoko feuds still take place, and we're treated to a much better 1993 than we got.

And also in my scenario, yes Bret doesn't win the King of the Ring, which is one of his greatest achievements. But the thing is, if Bret had kept the title and had a great first run with the title like he should've, then he wouldn't have needed the King of the Ring win anyway. He only won the King of the Ring (for the second time I might add as he also won the 1991 tournament while he was I-C champion) as a consolation prize so to speak for having to put over Yoko and Hulk (basically) and losing his run with the title.

So if he had his great first run with the title, he didn't need the King of the Ring win. Which could've went to Yoko instead which would be a great achievement in Yoko's career. And Savage could've won the Rumble which would've been a nice mark on Savage's resume too.

And also in my scenario, yes Bret doesn't win the King of the Ring, which is one of his greatest achievements. But the thing is, if Bret had kept the title and had a great first run with the title like he should've, then he wouldn't have needed the King of the Ring win anyway. He only won the King of the Ring (for the second time I might add as he also won the 1991 tournament while he was I-C champion) as a consolation prize so to speak for having to put over Yoko and Hulk (basically) and losing his run with the title.

So if he had his great first run with the title, he didn't need the King of the Ring win. Which could've went to Yoko instead which would be a great achievement in Yoko's career. And Savage could've won the Rumble which would've been a nice mark on Savage's resume too.

According to Bret's book, Vince had him win King of the Ring 1993 to build him up for a match against Hogan at Summerslam for the title, which they had already done photo-shoots doing a tug-of-war with the belt and other poses in Halifax and apparently Vince told Bret he was going over Hogan with the sharpshooter. Also according to Bret, at WM9 Hogan thanked Bret and told him he'd be happy to return the favor. I always thought that was kind of weird because Hogan didn't go over Bret, but Bret lost in a cheap way and gave Hogan the rematch he should have had and Hogan got the victory and the title.

Then, in Bret's book, weeks before Summerslam Vince called Bret and told him he was getting the title from Hogan at Summerlsam but wasn't looking forward to telling Hogan he was too old and slow, etc., for the "New Generation." Then days later Vince called Bret back and said he'd be really angry because Hogan was refusing to put Bret over, saying he wasn't in his league. Bret said Vince tried to sell Hogan on it again but he refused, so Yoko go the belt instead.

Bret was ticked about that for years and told a lot of people in WWF and who came there at the time about that story. Various people in the business have used that story to say Bret was out of line at Survivor Series, saying he was doing to Shawn what Hogan did to him that pissed him off so bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back