Would today's ROH or Indy star make it in ECW and other territories?

GhettoV1

Pre-Show Stalwart
Take any current ROH and / or Indy star today and put them either in ECW (1992-01), Memphis (CWA / USWA), WCCW, Smoky Mountain, WWC (Puerto Rico) 1980s-2000, Mid Atlantic, Georgia and Florida.

The Young Bucks would get nuclear heel heat in ECW, Dalton Castle in WWC in the 1980s, Adam Cole in Memphis, The Briscoes either in SMW or WCCW, The Kingdom in Georgia or Florida, Kenny King in Mid Atlantic.

The Mass Transit Incident leads me to believe any random off the street can wrestle in the old ECW, given whether or not they're willing to lie about it.

I see no reason why ECW wouldn't accept an actual professional.

Dalton Castle would have done wonders in Florida. Eddie Graham and Hiro Matsuda would have put him and the Boys in the upper Mid-Card. I can also see him tagging with Adrian Street for the Florida Tag straps. I could also see Silas Young as a tough guy heel in Memphis and Florida.

It'd depend on various factors. Sometimes, different promoters had idea as to what a wrestler was supposed to be; Vince isn't nor wasn't the only guy who looked at someone, saw what they brought to the ring, saw their personality, etc. and decided based on that whether or not a guy could get over in his neck of the woods.

Using the Young Bucks as examples, I don't think they'd have really been given an opportunity in a lot of the more southern based territories like Memphis, Georgia, Florida & the Mid-Atlantic territories really put more emphasis on the "rasslin" style. Guys today who do a lot of flips, flops, heavily choreographed spots, didn't sell enough, etc. really wouldn't have been viewed as real wrestlers by many of the promoters nor a lot of the other wrestlers in the territories themselves. If you're someone that's more of the ground & pound type, someone who could brawl or someone who had great technical ability, then I think your odds go up considerably. I could see the Brisoes being welcome in places like Texas, Memphis, Georgia, Florida, Mid-Atlantic, NWA Tri-State/Mid-South/UWF, Smoky Mountain, etc.

After ECW became the ECW everyone is familiar with, all you really had to be willing to do was to go out there and essentially risk life & limb for gas money. I'm not saying there weren't good wrestlers in ECW, but being a good wrestler wasn't necessarily a requirement as they didn't have the highest of standards; you just had to be willing to risk your ass in matches that were extremely stiff, featured dangerous spots or a combination of both.

Wrestlers during the territory days, let's say circa 1965 to 1985 in the United States, who were under 6'0" and/or less than 200 lbs. would have had a difficult time because more emphasis was placed on the "heavyweight" aspect of things. During those days, guys who were 225 lbs. were considered small, so I think it'd been a hard time for wrestlers who you could visibly tell were much lighter. It can be hard sometimes to tell how tall a wrestler is or how much they weigh just based on perception, but there are also times it's pretty obvious. For instance, Neville looks like he could easily pass for 220 lbs. but it's also obvious that he's only about 5'7" or so and that would hinder him. As a result, smaller statured wrestlers of today would've been better off going to EMLL, CMLL of today, or the UWA in Mexico and the WWC of the Caribbean. Even in that mid 60s to mid 80s time period, Japan was still more focused on "heavyweight" titles and wrestlers.

The Briscoes,War Machine, Christopher Daniels and Frankie Kazarian, Bullet Club, Silas Young, Dalton Castle and the Young Bucks would've done well in the territories both JCP and the AWA would've loved to have these guys plus Adam Cole the kingdom and Red Dragon I can really see the Briscoes and War Machine having great feuds with the Road warriors, Sheepherders, Freebirds, etc.

Gorillas of destiny I can see them channeling Haku in matches with the Dudley's, Eliminators, Gangsters, and RVD and Sabu.

Thanks, imagine Adam Cole or Jay Lethal as AWA World Champion.

Looking back on the dying days of AWA, they probably would've put the belt on someone like QT Marshall. But both Cole and Lethal would've thrived in that territory. Also, I could see Hangman Page being a mainstay in Memphis, maybe even ECW.

Either QT Marshall or Adam Cole would fit the image of an AWA Champion well just like Nick Bockwinkel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back