Worst Wreslemania Ending Ever

The Future Rises

Thinking Of A New Name..
Wresltemania.. "The grandest stage of 'em all".. "The showcase of the immortals".. Wrestlemania is without a doubt the biggest event in wrestling history.

There have been a total of 27 Wrestlemania events. Some of them were great. Some of them were mediocre. And some of them were just a disappointment. But out of all the 27 Wrestlemania events that have taken place.. Which one do you think had the worst ending?

The obvious choices are Wrestlemania 9 where Hogan buried both Bret Hart and Yokozuna and Wrestlemania 11 with Bam Bam Bigelow losong to Lawrence Taylor.. A FOOTBALL player who had no business being in the main event of Wrestlemania. But there were other disappointing endings to the grandest stage of 'em all. So which one do you think was the worst?

My nominations:
Wrestlemania 8: Hulk Hogan vs. Sid. Hogan wins via dq from Harvey Whippleman interfering in the match. Papa Shango (aka the Godfather) missed his cue to come down to interfere and thus end the match. Come on!! How is that the ending to the main event at that years wrestlemania? Easily the worst match that never happened at WM was Hogan vs. Flair at WM 8.

Wrestlemania 27: double countout of the Miz v. Cena. Only to be restarted by the Rock where he interferes in the match. Just a terrible show of events to buildup for WM 28. IMO it should have been a triple threat with the Rock also included in that match

The obvious choices are Wrestlemania 9 where Hogan buried both Bret Hart and Yokozuna...

That an opinion or a fact, please differentiate, because unless you were working with WWF creative at the time this happened, then you really don't know if that was Hogan's call to end WrestleMania that way, bottom line is this it's Vince's company and Vince's call, especially during those days when we are talking WWF not being a publicly traded company.

I never tire of hearing the backstage sob story bullshit regarding this WM, if you want my honest opinion it's far from being the worst when you take into account WrestleManias like WM VIII where the mainer ended in a DQ and WM 16 where we had a McMahon-centric main event and a ridiculous Fatal Four Way, like anyone thought Mick Foley was REALLY going to win the WWF title when it was pretty much confirmed he was retiring from full time wrestling at this point. And again factor in how EVERY McMahon was focused on more than the participants and you have yourself one disappointment of an ending to WM, in fact that whole WrestleMania with little exception sucked, there wasn't a single standard regular simple wrestling match, with the three-way ladder match being the only thing close to entertaining on that show.

Spare me. Again, let's not jump to conclusions about the backstage politics of stuff we don't know anything about, and let's stick to what was on the television screen that we know is actually happening. The whole Hogan surprise winning of the title is mostly looked at differently now only because there are fucking morons out there that love to bury their nose in internet dirt sheets and we all know how reliable those are. Regardless of my personal feelings on Bret Hart not getting the title reign I thought he should have had, (I was never a Yokozuna fan, all was well that ended well, Bret Hart got his title back at the next Mania and Yokozuna avenged his loss to Hogan in a return match, no one got buried...for fuck's sake.)

Wrestlemania 27: double countout of the Miz v. Cena. Only to be restarted by the Rock where he interferes in the match. Just a terrible show of events to buildup for WM 28. IMO it should have been a triple threat with the Rock also included in that match

I agree with this. The video packages before the match were better than the match itself. I tend to think that double countouts are bad at any main event, but to do one at "THE" main event of the year was just tragic. It wasn't helped by the match itself being only the average going through the motions routine that Cena and Miz both do so well. Also it wasn't helped by the restart being mere minutes.
Stinking ending that capped off a Stinking Wrestlemania.

That an opinion or a fact, please differentiate, because unless you were working with WWF creative at the time this happened, then you really don't know if that was Hogan's call to end WrestleMania that way, bottom line is this it's Vince's company and Vince's call, especially during those days when we are talking WWF not being a publicly traded company.

Well what do you want me to say Vince buried Bret and Yokozuna? I don't know who's call it was but it was still Hogan who came out and squashed Yokozuna in seconds. Can I blame him if it was creative's idea? No. Did he bury them? Yes. In my opinion Bret and Yokozuna had a great rivalry. Bret always preformed on a 5 star level and Yoko wasn't such a bad wrestler for his size. I'm happy they had a rematch at the next Wrestlemania with Bret winning and going on to become the new face of the company. Not so happy about how Yoko's career went on though.

The ending of Wrestlemania 27 where The Rock buried The Miz is a good choice too just like some posters stated. So was Sid/Hogan with the botched ending.

Without looking at someone else's answers I will give my top (or bottom) 3 worst WrestleMania endings:

3) WrestleMania XI: Bam Bam Bigelow was a great athlete but he can always check off being in the main event of WrestleMania (even though it was a loss to a football player) and men like CM Punk, Alberto Del Rio and others have not or yet to have been. It's a shame Desiel vs. Shawn Michaels was not the main event.

2) WrestleMania IX: Hate how that ended because of the person who's in at number one from a year earlier...

1) WrestleMania VIII: The Sid/Hogan match was just god awful and THEN out comes Papa Shango AND The Ultimate Warrior...I rest my case.

Well what do you want me to say Vince buried Bret and Yokozuna? I don't know who's call it was but it was still Hogan who came out and squashed Yokozuna in seconds. Can I blame him if it was creative's idea? No. Did he bury them? Yes. In my opinion Bret and Yokozuna had a great rivalry. Bret always preformed on a 5 star level and Yoko wasn't such a bad wrestler for his size. I'm happy they had a rematch at the next Wrestlemania with Bret winning and going on to become the new face of the company. Not so happy about how Yoko's career went on though.

What I don't get is where he's got this idea that you're assuming some sort of unknown backstage knowledge.
Everyone saw it, Hogan come out twice and ploughed through both of them no matter what terminology you use to describe it, and as "neat" as it must of been for the Hulkamaniacs, it doesn't change that it was nothing short of awful for everybody else. Some people just love hating.

What I don't get is where he's got this idea that you're assuming some sort of unknown backstage knowledge.
Everyone saw it, Hogan come out twice and ploughed through both of them no matter what terminology you use to describe it, and as "neat" as it must of been for the Hulkamaniacs, it doesn't change that it was nothing short of awful for everybody else. Some people just love hating.

Uh no, it's the fact of the matter speaking that it's so "cute" that people out here in the world of cyberspace will use an insider wrestling term to address their critique of the WrestleMania IX main event, again in my last post I never said it was my FAVORITE moment, but at the same time I am going to defend where it's far from being the very worst. Let's be honest, using the term buried...c'mon for crying out loud.

Again, it was Vince's call to end WM IX that way, period, let's not kid ourselves. And if we are going to resort to the smark terms, here are better examples of buried:

- Ricky Steamboat's 1991 WWF Stint where he was treated like a newcomer and not a former WWF IC Champion, and a former NWA World Champion (the latter can be understood since Vince obviously wouldn't want to give credibility to a competitor)

- The ill-fated nWo reunion in WWF circa 2002. I've a good feeling Vince knew this wouldn't work so in my opinion, I can't prove it, just a suspicion and I am not stating it as fact unlike the OP has but Vince thought just the same to show the nWo as a shell of what it once was.

- The WWE Cruiserweight Division circa 2008, as if I thought Oklahoma and Madusa feuding for the strap couldn't be any worse, they gave the thing to Hornswoggle.

- Then of course the United States and IC Titles, titles that greats like Magnum TA, Sting, Randy Savage and Curt Hennig defined are now joke props that are no longer a proper plot device to showcase great talents in the ring. Hell they are barely even defended at WrestleMania, in fact the US Title match took a backseat to that stumpy troll Snooki.

All of the above are a far better case for what a true wrestling burial is. Granted even if I myself would have liked to seen a better ending to WM IX, nothing changes the fact that both Yokozuna and Bret Hart were very well redeemed in the long run. The WrestleMania IX ending served as a platform for Hulk Hogan's WWF invincibility to be crushed and crushed it was. People that think otherwise need to keep it kayfabe, period.

And again, this is coming from a guy who's got a Bret Hart avatar for his profile, I'm every bit a fan of Bret Hart as I am Hulk Hogan, and I'm just calling it like I see it.
-

After watching all of the wrestlemania's in the anthology, as well as every mania since then, Mania 27 had perhaps the worst Main Event/Ending in the history of the 'Grandest Event of them All.' Rock vs Cena could have been done this year, it had plenty of build-up, but they went a different direction and put one of the worst combination of match-ups Cena could have possibly been in.

WrestleMania 25 is one. I mean logic dictated an Orton win, instead he was made to appear little more than a jobber. If H wanted his revenge that badly, he should have waited for a Raw. To ruin a Main Event at WrestleMania to feed your ego is pretty pathetic.

WrestleMania IX: Besides the obvious burial of Hart and Yokozuna, Hogan leaving just 3 months later made it worse.

My nominations:
Wrestlemania 8: Hulk Hogan vs. Sid. Hogan wins via dq from Harvey Whippleman interfering in the match. Papa Shango (aka the Godfather) missed his cue to come down to interfere and thus end the match. Come on!! How is that the ending to the main event at that years wrestlemania? Easily the worst match that never happened at WM was Hogan vs. Flair at WM 8.

I can’t agree with the ending of WM8 being the worst. I do agree that the end of the main event match was terrible. The DQ was extremely weak and underwhelming but the surprise return of The Ultimate Warrior more than made up for it. That was a classic moment and there’s no way WM8 can be considered the worst finish to a mania because of it.

WrestleMania 25 is one. I mean logic dictated an Orton win, instead he was made to appear little more than a jobber. If H wanted his revenge that badly, he should have waited for a Raw. To ruin a Main Event at WrestleMania to feed your ego is pretty pathetic.

I can’t agree with this either, at least not the reasoning. If you want to call WM25 the worst mania ending because a well hyped match was very lackluster that’s fine, but there was nothing wrong with Triple H winning that match. I know a lot of people around here hate Triple H and love Orton but that doesn’t mean Orton should have won.

I will agree with those who are saying WM9 and WM27. Both of those endings were pretty bad. I’m not going to say that WM9 was bad because Hogan buried Hart and Yoko. I personally don’t care for someone walking out with the title when he wasn’t advertised for the championship match. How would you feel if Rock challenged Miz to a title match at the end of WM27 and won the title two minutes later? WM27 was bad too. It wasn’t a surprise that the show closed with The Rock. I understand that. I just felt they could have given him a better reason to come to ringside than to protest a double count out. That was really weak and killed the momentum of the show.

WM 9 was the one that really ticked me off. From what I heard, it was Hogan who demanded to leave the show with the title. Bret refused to job to him and Yoko agreed to be the go-between. Supposedly, Vince agreed to it because he knew two things: 1) Hogan was leaving soon and 2) he knew fans would HATE Hogan becoming champion again that way and it would de-value his stock.

WM 17 was a great match, but Vince coming out at the end to help Austin and the two of them having a beer together afterwards left me with a "what just happened here?" feeling.

I remember watching WM IX as a kid and thinking the whole time during the build up "Bret Hart vs Yokozuna? God I hope they throw Hogan or Warrior into that match." And they did, so I was happy. Bret Hart was half a year removed from being an IC title midcarder and now he's headlining Wrestlemania against a guy who in no way shape or form could he have a technical match (His strong point) with? Bret Hart vs Ric Flair... Yes I could see that. Flair was established and could lend his credibility to Hart and have a great match to boot, but at the time Bret vs Yoko had zero appeal.

My least favorite Wrestlemania ending was 27. They could have built up Wrestlemania was a stare down like Owen and Bret did at WM X, but no they just had the Rock come in and shit all over the Cena / Miz match making both active roster guys look weak. I hate this ending.

WM 16 where we had a McMahon-centric main event and a ridiculous Fatal Four Way, like anyone thought Mick Foley was REALLY going to win the WWF title when it was pretty much confirmed he was retiring from full time wrestling at this point. And again factor in how EVERY McMahon was focused on more than the participants and you have yourself one disappointment of an ending to WM, in fact that whole WrestleMania with little exception sucked, there wasn't a single standard regular simple wrestling match, with the three-way ladder match being the only thing close to entertaining on that show.

Chris Jericho vs. Chris Benoit vs. Kurt Angle was a good and very entertaining match. And my personal favorite on the card.

But worst was the Bret, Yoko and Hogan ending as it was confusing. Second would be WM27 as it felt more like Monday Night Raw.

I'd have to say XXV,not because it was a bad match or HHH won, it just didn't seem for some reason to live up to the hype, like there was just more they could've done with it. Or it could also be because it had to follow HBK vs Undertaker, and that in itself was a damn near impossible feat.

WrestleMania 27 had just an awful, awful ending. Truly abysmal. Miz vs Cena could have been so good if they'd actually made it about them. Instead, that match was never about Miz or Cena, it was always about the Rock and Cena. So Miz and Cena phoned it in a match that never went out of first gear, then did the surefire "Totally Kill the Crowd Entirely" double countout restart with the Rock attacking Cena to give Miz the win (thereby destroying his credibility) and then attacking Miz anyway after the match. Just to make sure the guy who doesn't actually work for you look good. What a great idea, right? Wrong. A front runner for the worst Mania ending in a long time.

I appreciate the desire to build a feud with the Rock, I truly do. What I would have done? Look, they were giving Cena the title a month later anyway. Just let the two men wrestle the great match they're totally capable of, let them kick out the finishers, let everybody look good, and give Cena a clean win. If you take the match they worked before the double countout and add a good ten minutes of work after it, this could have been a match pushing four stars. As for the finish to said match, taking an honest loss to Cena would have been probably just as good for the Miz than the dirty interference win that he got. Cena has the title, celebrating, the Rock's music hits, and they stare down to end the show. It wouldn't be a blow the roof off the place epic ending, but it would have been miles ahead of the garbage they put out.

I know im gonna get hated on for this but wrestlemania 12 im tired of hearing that shawn vs bret was the best main event ever it wasnt once a match starts going over 30 mins it gets boring and not nteresting this was the case here not to mention shawn was a fucking asshole after the match was over and all you heard thru out the whole match was vince kissing up to shawn and talking about how great he was

Wrestlemania 17, a great match that ended with a couple chair shots and lead to one of the most pointless alliances ever made. Turning Austin heel never worked out and putting him with his biggest rival made no sense. It was done just to try and be shocking with no real logic behind it.

Agreed that HHH retaining the belt at Mania 25 was one of the worst Mania endings ever. The match never got going, it never looked like a main event and Orton never could do much in it.

Attended the event from ring-side - most people started leaving before the match got over and many of them left when the bell rang because they didn't want to stay there and waste time watching HHH's celebration.

I would say wrestlemania 27, the cena/miz match, I mean come on a double count out in a wwe title match at wrestlemania, only to be restarted by a guest host. that is the dumbest ending to a wrestlemania match, It showed in that match that it made both cena and miz look weak like they couldn't have a decent match to have it end in a double count out

I am going to have to agree with several other posters and go for the WM 9 ending, with Hogan coming down and taking the title from Yokozuna in a cheesy ending just seconds after Yoko had won the title.

Bret Hart and Yokozuna deserved better than that, they had worked their asses off to get to the level of main eventing Wrestlemania and Hogan came in and stole all the glory, just so Vince could give the fans a "happy ending" like always. Hogan didn't deserve the title and he ending up leaving again just a few months later, so shoving an extra WWE title reign on his CV was worthless

Wrestlemania 27. Really anti-climatic. :disappointed:

I wanted to see a REAL main event. And way to go WWE, to make the Royal Rumble winner irrelevant at "Grandest Stage of Them All". Edge also wrecked that rent-a-car...which was a bummer because I expected better wreckage. :banghead:

Wrestlemania 2000 ... its bad enough the main event sucked. I mean how can a main event with Foley, Rock, Triple H, and Big Show Suck? Don't know but it did. What was worse is that the heel won making the crowd even more pissed off. Ok sure Rock did a People's Elbow to Stephanie but that was pretty lame take home consolation prize for the fans in live attendance.

Spare me. Again, let's not jump to conclusions about the backstage politics of stuff we don't know anything about, and let's stick to what was on the television screen that we know is actually happening. The whole Hogan surprise winning of the title is mostly looked at differently now only because there are fucking morons out there that love to bury their nose in internet dirt sheets and we all know how reliable those are. Regardless of my personal feelings on Bret Hart not getting the title reign I thought he should have had, (I was never a Yokozuna fan, all was well that ended well, Bret Hart got his title back at the next Mania and Yokozuna avenged his loss to Hogan in a return match, no one got buried...for fuck's sake.)

I often wondered if this was really Vince McMahon's call or Hogan's call.

One could argue it might have been Vince's call since he still had a hard-on for Hogan at the time. Also Hogan did say it was not his decision to win the title at the end.

On the other hand, it was not a very smart business move. Since Hogan was pretty much a part time guy anyways having The Champion not appear in majority of your shows for 3 months is not wise in an economical point of view. Also in his DVD Bret Hart looked like he blamed Hogan for what happened at WMXI.

One might think of course he would say that but then reading Shawn Michaels' book (the one that came out in 2005/2006) when HBK and Bret Hart were still in poor terms it also seemed like Michael's was blaming Hogan and even siding with Bret Hart on this.

But then ... who really knows :shrug:

I often wondered if this was really Vince McMahon's call or Hogan's call.

That point can be argued rather well, I don't doubt that there was definitely discussion behind the scenes and I am sure even with Hogan's fading star power at that point compared to the Hulkamania fever pitch, that he was still able to get some leeway in story lines. My reason for leaning towards Vince being the true decision maker on this one, is the fact that immediately after Hogan's departure, Lex Luger walked into the Hulk Hogan archetype, and I think that should not be disregarded, because we have to be honest here, Lex Luger for all intents and purposes was a surrogate Hulk Hogan in the summer of 1993. It was in my view that Vince just found himself trapped in that All-American hero mindset.

One could argue it might have been Vince's call since he still had a hard-on for Hogan at the time. Also Hogan did say it was not his decision to win the title at the end.

Continuing off what I said, Vince I am sure has had to compromise with big name stars in the past, and I know that Hogan being the magnitude of star that he is definitely had to use his star power from time to time, WM IX may very well be an example of that, but with the forthcoming addition of Lex Luger to the baby face side of the roster, the idea of Vince being all about Hogan getting one last title run would make sense I think.

On the other hand, it was not a very smart business move. Since Hogan was pretty much a part time guy anyways having The Champion not appear in majority of your shows for 3 months is not wise in an economical point of view. Also in his DVD Bret Hart looked like he blamed Hogan for what happened at WMXI.

It's easy for people now, even including staunch Hogan supporters like myself to lambaste Hogan for getting that last title reign in. Trust me, as Hogan was being phased out of the WWF, I was a HUGE Bret Hart booster, nothing was more magical than one Saturday morning in October when Mean Gene introduced Bret Hart as the new WWF World Champion, little did I know that Coliseum Video had thankfully recorded the whole match, which if you own the 50 Top Superstars DVD, that match is included in its entirety. It's seriously a match that should have been on the Hitman's first DVD release, why it wasn't I'll never know.

Anyway, looking at it today, it's easy as I said to just criticize this booking move, but despite Hogan's decreased presence he still had a little bit of magic and the fans were still nuts to see him. I can't explain it, but that's just what makes Hogan who he is, love him or hate him. The main thing is, I personally feel that like past champions of the WWF, Bruno Sammartino and Bob Backlund for instance, Vince needed to have Hogan definitively lose the title and put over a monstrous heel in the process. The last time Hogan was a WWF Champion prior to WM IX, he was stripped of the title after controversially beating the Undertaker for it. For those that say Hogan buried Yokozuna at the event, you have to think of it like this, Yokozuna had already exhausted himself in the storyline by wrestling an entire match against Bret Hart which in kayfabe he cheated to do anyway, then to boot a fresh Hogan capitalized on a botched interference attempt by Fuji when he hit Yokozuna in the face with the ceremonial salt. Hogan then used Yoko's combined state of weakness and botched interference to pin him to take the title.

Fast forward two months later, in a legit rematch, Yokozuna squashes Hulk Hogan and despite that match having controversy, it really is the way a heel does business and it led to a nine month World Title reign, something not seen with a heel since Superstar Billy Graham. In the meantime, Bret Hart would win the King Of The Ring and then the Royal Rumble (with Lex Luger who did not pan out as a suitable replacement to Hogan) and get his revenge on Yokozuna. Think about it like this people, despite how great it would have been for a lot of us hardcore fans to see Bret beat Hogan for the belt, it would have meant he'd either have to wait to get his payback on Yokozuna or that day would never have come, who really knows. Bottom line when Vince failed to package Luger as the new Hogan, I think he knew that he had a great heel champion in Yokozuna and he decided to capitalize on it, and what better way than to market the behemoth as the guy who crushed Hulkamania in the WWF once and for all, which they indeed did for quite sometime.Take for instance this cover from the OFFICIAL WWF Magazine, dated August 1994.

WWF_Magazine_August_1994.jpg
NOTE: To those thinking that Yokozuna was buried at WM IX, I'd beg to differ, in fact if anything Hogan was the one who looked the worst out of this by winning the belt from a tired competitor at WM IX, in the storyline, I think Yokozuna more than made it up to himself in the long run against the Hulkster, again look at the above image.

One might think of course he would say that but then reading Shawn Michaels' book (the one that came out in 2005/2006) when HBK and Bret Hart were still in poor terms it also seemed like Michael's was blaming Hogan and even siding with Bret Hart on this.

I hate saying it like this, because the books these wrestlers write and their DVDs entertain the hell out of me...BUT I feel these things are merely an extension of some blurry and ambiguous new form of kayfabe. There might be some instances of reality that these people talk about but considering the nature of their professions (that being in the entertainment business) I think a great amount of hyperbole and embellishment is often exploited with these "backstage accounts".

But then ... who really knows :shrug:

Exactly, all I am presenting is a basic argument to what I think was really going on with the debacle of Hulk Hogan, Yokozuna, Bret Hart, and Lex Luger or to put it more effectively the Spring-Summer 1993 WWF World Title picture. While I disagree with many aspects of the WrestleMania IX ending, in my opinion despite the short changing of Yokozuna in his first reign that night, it was indeed in my view the stepping stone to an even better run once he got it back, and even if Yokozuna was not my favorite champion, all was well that ended well, when Bret Hart FINALLY took it back at the next WrestleMania, I was a very happy 12 year old back in 1994 when the Pink and Black attack took out Yokozuna, it was a damn good match too. Along with WM XII, XIII and VIII (Probably Bret's most underrated WM match) it had such a feel good element to it.

So basically, before any of these idiots go out and call me some Hogan mark, I lived through this era of the WWF and if anyone has an authority to speak on it, it's people like me and those who are my age and older. I'm willing to wager that most marks that bitch about this period in WM's history were probably not even born yet or were so young that they were still crapping their diapers and sucking on their mom's boob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back