Worst type of storylines in Movies.

Sparky

Master of the Aussie kiss
What is the worst type of storyline in a movie. I hate the one thats always used especcialy recently. the classic boy meets girl boy falls in love with girl boy has trouble getting girl does something stupid gets girl. it would have to be one of the most used storylines in the last two years. It drives me insane you go to see a movie and it always happens whether or not its the main storyline or part of it. There is no way that happens in real life all the time.

its boring to watch and always predictable. You always know that he will get the girl. No mater what happens. i cant remember ever watching a movie that went boy meets girl boy falls inlove with girl boy never gets girl. I wonder why that is?

Another storyline i thinks sucks is the "superman gimmick" for example one more then half of you should of seen, the Marine. Somebody gets taken hostage guy fights through shit after shit that nobody would ever survive in real life to overcome the odds and live happily ever after. its bullshit, there is a movie out now called Taken i havent seen it but i was getting told about it today at work my first thought was "the Marine". What do you think is the worst kind of storyline in movies?

What is the worst type of storyline in a movie. I hate the one thats always used especcialy recently. the classic boy meets girl boy falls in love with girl boy has trouble getting girl does something stupid gets girl.

I absolutely fucking hate this storyline. Boring and predictable. Talk about overkill.

I also hate the type of storylines in superhero movies where its girl likes guy, girl also likes superhero who is guy, but doesn't know it. Its so predictable. You know that the girl will eventually find out that the superhero is the guy, and they will get married/ become girlfriend and boyfriend.

Pretty much every Disney movie.Kid has dream, chases it,told he can't do it, in the end he does.It get repitive.It dosn't matter how much one liners are in the movie -I can't stand that shit.

Another one I hate is the Revenge storyline.Someone close to them dies,they go kill the person who does it.Simple and boring.But sometimes it can be good.For example The Dark Knight.Two-Face was so well played and the best part he went after the wrongt person adding to the storyline.It takes a real good actor to do that storyline.

As a writer, I'm well-versed in hatred from certain types of storylines, stereotypical characterization, and plots that never take advantage of staying within the boundaries of proper storytelling, but allowing creativity as well. Too many of them follow the pattern, but don't try to take it to the next level.

Right now, I'll just focus on the one that nobody has mentioned yet: generic action/horror films.

For generic action movies that have no TRUE sense of plot structure and balance, the movie literally becomes "we'll cast someone who people think is a badass, we'll cast an evil looking bad guy, throw in some hot chicks, and explosions". When it comes to the storyline, there virtually isn't one. More often than not, you're forced to root for the protagonist merely out of spite from everyone else, as everyone else is shown to be either antagonists or completely inept and annoying. The only exception to this is the standard "comic relief best friend", typically overweight, who is used as a sacrificial lamb plot device to try to convince the audience that "its personal now, cause the bad guy killed the best friend, oooooooh!!" So the "hero" usually starts off in some everyman type of situation until *initial incident* happens, where the story simply becomes "the hero has to get out of the action-packed situation". Extra points if the protagonist is already a cop of some sort, so they don't need to elaborate on why this person isn't just saying "fuck everyone else". Rather than prove to the audience that he is heroic by actions, they just quit and say he's a cop already, so its implied he's been heroic his whole life. An hour and a half goes by and all you witness is a series of explosions with over the top death sequences, usually at least one instance where a car or motorcycle explodes, and a "knife is close to my face but the villain just can't seem to overpower me" moment. By the end, he kills the villain, is shown bandaged up and playing with his kids or his girlfriend or something, and you're supposed to believe that you sat through anything more than just a documentary on the life of a stuntman.

Generic horror films. Seven teens. Three of them are couples, one is an outsider. One girl is a brunette, one is a blonde, and one is black. The same goes for the guys. The outsider is the most likely to be the one wearing glasses and if she's a woman, have her hair in a ponytail. All of the guys are fit and all of the women are beautiful. Oh, yeah, and they can't be past the age of 21. At least one of the couples, most likely the blonde girl or the brunette girl and her boyfriend, are nymphomaniacs and make out at the drop of a hat. One of the women spends the entire exposition playing mother to the others, saying things like "guys, come on" and "I don't know, guys, that doesn't look too safe" (in which the response will inextricably be something like "Oh come on, Sandy, stop being such a prude/wuss" by one of the other girls). A killer emerges. Lately, the trend is to kill off the "third white guy" if he's in the group, leaving the main white guy, the main black guy, and the cynical antihero white guy with all the girls. The cynic will be the one that decides to take the initiative to hunt down the killer, and by proxy, will be murdered for his headstrong and foolish attitude. One of the girls will be pinned to a wall at some point, either by a hand on the neck or by a knife in the back. Violin shrieks and a few murders later, we're down to two girls and one guy, probably the white guy, the outsider, and the black girl. Now, these three can stay alive if the group is numerous enough, but there's still a chance that they could kill off the black girl or the white guy...just not both, unless the outsider is the main character and the sole-survivor. Somehow, at the end, the killer is put down, and the main character is reassured that its all over, but the audience is "treated" to a question mark saying that the villain might be back for a sequel....or twelve. Again, like in the generic action film, the entire plot is "stop the bad guy", nothing more, and if you took the villain out of the film, every single other character would become utterly useless and not the least bit interesting.

I'm getting really tired of the storyline technique known as "Hey, we can't really come up with any good ideas here and we need to make some money, so let's just rip-off respectable films with completely stupid parodies. Oh yeah, and there's really no storyline here." I swear, strip all those "funny" parodies away and you're left with a storyline thinner and more vulnerable than Hunter's quads.

I, personally, don't think any "type of storylines" are bad, to be honest. I really believe any concept can be made into an entertaining film. Yeah, some genres have been done more times then anyone of us can count, but shit... they're always ways to reinvent them. To be creative. For you to find a lot of creativity in a basic "Boy meets girl, falls for girl, blah blah blah" storyline, you have to search the Indy circuit. I mean, so many of these movies are so fucking awesome. The problem is that Hollywood executives don't think "complicated" will draw anything and they do get a script that has potential to be different and attract interest from people like us, they bastardize it for masses (ala the same people who pay to see parody movies). Maybe they're right in doing so since it all comes down to business, but my point is that no "type of storyline" is bad. Every single one of them can be GREAT with some imagination and creativity.

I'm tired of some kind of child hood event leads to a phobia, that once conquered leads to enlightenment, sex, or both. I fell off a ladder when I was kid. I am scared of heights. I do not get laid every time I climb a ladder.

I also hate these movies that have the outsider get the girl. In high school, if you are weird, you do not bang cheerleaders, no matter how many secret admirer letters you send.

Finally, this is more of a plot device, but it still grinds my gears. How come every man has to be stupid comic relief, and it's always the woman who solves all the problems? Look at Home Improvement. Tim always fucked everything up, and Jill always put it back together. Tim was always wrong when they fought.

PS- Whenever a man cheats, he is an asshole. When a woman cheats she is empowered sexually. Give me a fucking break. When a woman cheats she is a ****.

I think guys have a harder time getting through a classic Boy meets Girl type movie. They arent marketed towards us, they are marked towards women. That said, I have been enjoying a lot of "chick flicks" recently. I must say, 27 dresses was a good movie. In fact, the Devil Wears Prada was also a gooder. Fools Gold was a must see, probably even better than the boy "superhero" based movie of Rambo.

I am also a writer. I do hate the boy meets girl boy gets girl because it does not happen in real life. At least it does not always happen to me.

The worst are the superhero storylines because it makes someone a goody too shoes and he is bland and boring. Even the Marine had that in some ways with Cena's character (no offense)

Here are my storylines in my respective books.

1. Lies and Deceptions: A man has lost his memory and ends up in a town where he meets people and a pretty woman to take him in. However, his happiness is twarted when a mobster who wants him dead shows up in town and makes his prescience known. It is revealed that the man was alsio a mobster before he lost his memory and ends up having to fight his past and his inner demons to get to a better place and defeat this mobster.

2. Sharpest Lives: A man watched his parents die at the hands of a mobster and spends 10 years of his life in recluse as the pain is too much until a south american gangster manipulates him into coming back for revenge. However, that revenge is twarted when the man sees the girl he once loved. Will he choose revenge or do the right thing?

and finally

3. The Twisted Society: in production: a woman's life is perfect as she has a great new job as a reporter and a new boyfriend until one day her estranged brother roars into town and is responsible for the vehicular homicide that causes her best friend's sister's death. Plus, she has a rival that is trying to detroy her career.

These are all my books and all are copywrited under my name.

Of course these are my books. But the point is that movie makers have to try and go for the human connection instead of the instant romance connection.

I am glad that at least in Dark Knight, Rachel dies and Bruce does not get to have his girl. (sorry if I spoiled it for those who have not seen it)

Buddy Cop films piss me off
White police office somehow gets partnered up with black NYPD police office (the Black police office is ALWAYS NYPD) and they go off in search of a drugs baron/abducter/mafia king pin. the white guy always gets shot in an embaressing place, the white cop always completely spazzes out the moment he hears rap music even though its been in the mainstream for 20 years and the block cop always has to swear and wear a bullet proof vest all the time!

That storyline pisses me off

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back