Worst gimmick of all time

WweBreezybre

Occasional Pre-Show
Now i've been wanting to do this for a long time but do to me being so busy or just plain lazy I havent got around to it.Now I picked up my Wwe encyclopedia the other day and seen some of my all time favorite wrestlers( Randy orton, Undertaker,Stone cole, ect ) and they all had awesome gimmicks but as a look thru I start to see the............not so awesome gimmicks now I ask you fans what is the worst gimmick you can think of someone in the Wwe having.For me it would be a tie between the goobly goober and hornswoogle Wtf were the Wwe thinking.

For me it's The Punjabi Playboy, I really don't like this gimmick. Khali should be feared but instead he's got a commedy gimmick. I don't see how kissing stupid women from the crowd entertainment, it's just stupid especially with someone of Khali's size.

Its gotta be Doink the Clown, the gimmick that turned me off to wrestling for years until I discovered TNA. There have been some awful gimmicks in WWE, but that is the worst of all time. Wrestlers are supposed to be tough, not clowns.

Ric-Flair.jpg

Its gotta be Doink the Clown, the gimmick that turned me off to wrestling for years until I discovered TNA. There have been some awful gimmicks in WWE, but that is the worst of all time. Wrestlers are supposed to be tough, not clowns.

Ric-Flair.jpg

You, sir, know nothing of the greatness that was Doink the Clown. In an era of crazy gimmicks, Heel Doink was one of the best out there. He could get heat as well as wrestle. I didn't like him when he turned face but Doink was still a good gimmick and far from the worst. For shame.

Now i've been wanting to do this for a long time but do to me being so busy or just plain lazy I havent got around to it.Now I picked up my Wwe encyclopedia the other day and seen some of my all time favorite wrestlers( Randy orton, Undertaker,Stone cole, ect ) and they all had awesome gimmicks but as a look thru I start to see the............not so awesome gimmicks now I ask you fans what is the worst gimmick you can think of someone in the Wwe having.For me it would be a tie between the goobly goober and hornswoogle Wtf were the Wwe thinking.

The turkey is an obvious one, and wasn't a wrestler, so I'll choose an actual wrestler's gimmick.

There are other obvious ones. Repo Man, The Berzerker, Glacier. The list can go on and on.

My pick as the worst gimmick is Duke "The Dumpster" Drosey. I just don't know why a trash man was ever a character. I hated that guy. You could just feel stupid gimmick every time he came out!

My vote also goes to THE YETAY!!!!!! Seriously, how are you going to have a mummy called the Yeti? He's either a mummy or big foot, you cant do both. Thats not even like the saying'you cant have your cake and eat it to', thats more like having your cake and taking a hot shit on it.

There have been so many bad gimmicks over the years it's almost impossible to pick the worst. One that always comes to mind though is The Red Rooster. Terry Taylor may be a decent wrestler, but this was just an awful gimmick. He spiked his hair, dyed it red, and crowed and strutted around like a rooster. What was this supposed to accomplish? Take a look at this promo and tell me if you could take this guy seriously.

[YOUTUBE]FWABfAOw2q4[/YOUTUBE]

:disappointed:

Well, I'm pretty sure Tenta already did this thread, in fact it was a HUGE one where many MANY horrible gimmicks were covered.. should check it out, well written.

but for shits and giggles, i'll say Beaver Cleavage. Why? well for one, look at the name.. They split the Headbangers up, and one of them were repackages as this "Leave it to Beaver" knockoff that came off way worse then anyone could have thought.

He can shove a Rooster Booster up his ass for all I care, I hated that gimmick. Bastian Booger was horrible, and I'm surprised no one has mentioned Shockmaster (if he was mentioned, sorry, I didnt see it), Berserker was lame, and honorable mention to Alex Wright and his gaytarded dancing.

I am not so sure it is a gimmick but I thought it was bit stupid when Kamala returned in 1992 and had forgotten how to pin a wrestler, despite having no problem doing this in his wrestling career before in the WWF and WCW.

If that doesn't count then it has to be The Berzerker, always throwing his opponent out the ring, not much talent in the ring, very frustrating to watch as a kid.

P.S
Evil Doink was a great gimmick in that era, the WWF were PG at the time and it was cool to have a clown, which is traditionally a favourite among kids be the bad guy, he wasn't so good once he turned.

Hardly. The heel Doink gimmick was absolutely brilliant, playing on the fear of clowns that many people have. It really could have gone far had the wrestler not screwed up and the gimmick hadn't been turned face and made to act silly and goofy.

Anyway, the absolute worst gimmick has to be The Red Rooster. The gimmick is the worst not only because it was terrible and had Taylor acting like a chicken, but because it's a gimmick that ruined the rest of his career. Everywhere he went, he was dogged with chants of "Rooster". No one took him seriously anymore. And this was a man with everything! He had the look, he had the ring skills, he had the mic skills, but because of one gimmick his career went down the drain, and he will forever be remembered as The Red Rooster.

No other gimmick has done that to a wrestler. Everyone else was able to bounce back from Terrible Gimmick Alley, but not Taylor. That is why it should be considered the worst.

One of the worst that I can recall was that of MANTAUR. I don't remember who it was that was forced to attempt this gimmick, but the sight of a guy holding his fingers up by his head like a pair of horns and lumbering to the ring was quite possibly one of the most ridiculous things I have seen in a wrestling ring. If I,m not mistaken, WWE pulled this nonsense away before it had a chance to really get panned. I also would give honorable mention to the Red Rooster, which, unfortunately for Terry Taylor, finished him as an in ring competitor. Too bad, as Taylor was really good.

There have been many but another one I wasn't keen on was Rockabilly? It didn't last long but one of Billy Gunns worst and he had a few dodgy ones.

I just didn't like the whole thing and it is hard to pinpoint why but just as WWF were going into an attitude era they gave us a throw back gimmick, very silly.

The Red Rooster....and the Doctor has all the reasons listed above.
The angle he came in under was that of a novice, even though everyone knew it was Terry Taylor. He acted as if he couldn't even get through a match without Bobby Heenan's constant direction. We were supposed to believe he was a rookie.
The part that destroyed his career came along later. Right after his face turn, he was actually starting to get over with the fans. Evidently, somebody in charge of gimmicks didn't think it was because he was talented and charismatic, it was because he acted like a chicken. Thus, the red mohawk, the scratching and pecking at ringside, and ( the big killer as far as I'm concerend ), the "crowing" he would do during interviews and sound-offs. Terry Taylor was actually a good performer, but this followed him everywhere he went. It was a loss.

I have to go with Max Moon.

WWE signed a very good worker in Konnan and put him in a ridiculous costume (that reportedly cost the company 1,300 dollars.) Not only was the costume ludicrous, but the whole back-story of being a cyborg was one of the stupidest things the WWE has come up with. The Max Moon character,to me,is the epitome of the bad gimmicks the WWE came up with in the mid-90s.

Speaking of Konnan, how about the Dungeon of Doom? The stable was full of terrible gimmicks, such as Loch Ness, Yeti, Kamala, the Shark, Zodiac (YES, NO,YES, NO!), Braun the Leprecaun, and other pointless gimmicks. Their goal was to end Hulkamania, which never happened, and once the nWo came, the group dissapeared (thankfully.)

I say The Boogeyman. Back in the 80's or 90's he probably wouldn't have been as terrible, but in the modern day wrestling world, characters like him just don't fucking work. His promos were just fucking ridiculous, "Im the Boogeyman and im gonna get cha!" and people would run away screaming, really?

I would say this is the epitome of his awfulness though.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuZrABRfed8[/YOUTUBE]

Edit: Video not showing up. It's Boogeyman eating off Jillians "mole"

"Real Mans Man" Steven Regal....he looked like the brawny man and wore a hard hat to the ring. I dont know why they did this to such a great wrestler. The fans absolutley hated it. He was supposed to look tough in his vignettes, chopping wood and stuff, but with the regal expressions it was too funny....

Going with a few recent ones:

Jimmy Wang Yang
for me. He isn't bad in the sense he can pull off some good moves and it in great shape. But the whole redneck thing just does not work for him at all.

Another recent one is Slam Master Jay. And for that matter Jesse, they're just giving this wrestler bad gimmicks his whole career and he doesn't seem to be too bad.

Also Shad, his new gimmick when he left Cryme Tyme was a joke.

Here's a list of worthy considerations:

- "Captain" Mike Rotundo...Rotundo as a boat captain, complete with skipper's cap
- The Mounty
- Paul Bearer
- The Repo Man
- The Blacktop Bully
- Gold Dust
- The KISS Demon
- The Renegade (cheap Ultimate Warrior ripoff)
- Glacier
- The Black Scorpion
- Big Josh
- The Zodiac, The Barber, Bootyman, Man with No Name...all played by the same idiot

Now probably the most controversial item in that list is Paul Bearer, as I know a lot of people liked that gimmick. To me, though, it represented a bad time in pro wrestling -- the late 1980s, early 1990s, when McMahon had pretty much swallowed up all the old school promotions and had replaced it all with his campy, cartoonish characters and angles. Percy Pringle appearing on TV with "zombie" makeup carrying an urn and acting like something out of a bad carnival haunted house was enough for me to turn off pro wrestling for years.

Well hello, Wrestlecrap.

Well, I'm pretty sure Tenta already did this thread, in fact it was a HUGE one where many MANY horrible gimmicks were covered.. should check it out, well written.

but for shits and giggles, i'll say Beaver Cleavage. Why? well for one, look at the name.. They split the Headbangers up, and one of them were repackages as this "Leave it to Beaver" knockoff that came off way worse then anyone could have thought.

You sir, hit the nail on the cranium. As soon as I saw the title to the thread I thought Beaver Cleavage. Travesty.
In the interests of diversity, I'm going to choose Shawn Stasiak, and take your pick. You have Planet Stasiak, who would talk to himself in rhymes and riddles. Terrible.
But I'm going to go with his first gimmick - Meat. THE MAN WRESTLED WITH AN ERECTION. AN ERECTION. Please denote the realise of fury via caps lock button.

For me, two gimmicks immediately spring to mind (that haven't already been mentioned of course), both involving the same individual:

Mike Awesome, first as "That 70's Guy", then later as "The Fat Chick Thriller"

This was the epitome of WCW's horribleness at the time. Sign a guy that has a legit and global following, right in the middle of a world title run in ECW. An extremely athletic, high-flying big man this side of the Undertaker, who could also impose his will and brawl with the best of 'em. Then, saddle him with a gimmick that purportedly plugs into the "pop culture" theme the company was going for at the time...

"Hey! That 70's Show is popular! That can be your new gimmick Mike! We'll even give you "The Lava Lamp Lounge" to get it over further, not that you'll need it."

Hardcore big man with a legacy in the business gets put in a terrible suit and is forced to disco dance, equally terribly, on a show that "highlights" the one thing Awesome didn't have... good mic skills. Way to burn the guys momentum to the ground.

When that doesn't work, give him a chubby chaser gimmick that only urinates on the proverbial ashes of Awesomes WCW career.

For me, two gimmicks immediately spring to mind (that haven't already been mentioned of course), both involving the same individual:

Mike Awesome, first as "That 70's Guy", then later as "The Fat Chick Thriller"

This gimmick makes me die a little inside everytime I think about it or it is mentioned.

WHAT an absolute waste of a GREAT talent. Mike Awesome was literally...awesome! He was huge, he could fly, he was unbelieably mobile for such a big man, and he was brilliant to watch in the ring. Why WCW decided to give a wrestler with such potential to be a superstar such a mid-blowingly stupid gimmick is beyond me....it was NEVER EEEEEEEEVER going to work!!

It just made Awesome into a joke. If WCW had brought him in as a wrecking machine, he could have been world champion in no time. It was just yet another of the collosal fu*k ups that led to WCW ending up on its arse and going out of business

Even in WWE, Mike Awesome was wasted, and we saw at ONS 2005 in his match with Masato Tanaka, that he still had it. Why did neither WCW or WWE capitalise on this mans talent?!!

RIP MIKE AWESOME

There have been so many bad gimmicks over the years it's almost impossible to pick the worst. One that always comes to mind though is The Red Rooster. Terry Taylor may be a decent wrestler, but this was just an awful gimmick. He spiked his hair, dyed it red, and crowed and strutted around like a rooster. What was this supposed to accomplish? Take a look at this promo and tell me if you could take this guy seriously.

[YOUTUBE]FWABfAOw2q4[/YOUTUBE]

:disappointed:

Some people saw this as Vince McMahon saying to other wrestlers coming into the WWF/E at the time of the big corporate destruction of the 60's/70's/80's terrriories that you don't come to WWF/E with an ego.

For most of them, their past achievements elsewhere mean nothing. Here's a crap gimmick, deal with it, mooohahaha.

It's a case of Vince being unwilling to put over talent who believed they were bigger than they actually were, and I hear Terry Taylor was one such person. What did he really accomplish before and after WWF/E, Not oo much.

I didn't particularly like what Heidenreich did when he first came. He was abit mental to be fair and he somewhat reminded me of Shawn Stasiak with all the poetry and rhyming to himself when he wasn't booked in a match.

To make matters worse, we had to hear some deranged poem from him everytime he came to the ring. Don't get me wrong, it was creative - but it was horrible at the same time. The bad deffenitly outweighed the good. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a storyline with Heidenreich where Michael Cole was completely terrfied of him because he was allegedly raped by Heidenreich?

I officially claim Heidenreich as one of the worst gimmicks, ever.

R-Truth. His gimmick allows him to rap every week and I hate when he raps, plus he sucks at it. I would have said hornswoggle but he goes under the ring a bit with his gimmick which gives you a break from him. I wish R-Truth had a gimmick were he hid for half the match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back