World Cup Squad

Lee

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
England's 30-man provisional squad for the World Cup finals:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green.

Defenders
: Leighton Baines, Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock.

Midfielders: Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Tom Huddlestone, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Scott Parker, Theo Walcott, Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Forwards: Darren Bent, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney.

Robert Green?!?

Had to be really.

I fully expect David James to start but I would go for Joe Hart.

Why not go for the guy with 20 clean sheets, even for your second back up.

Not really sure who will miss out. You would think Carragher might be one of them but then what was the point of him coming out of retirement if he isn't going as versatile cover.

All three keepers will go. Dawson probably isn't needed as is one of the fullbacks, either Baines or Warnock. Barry might miss out through injury giving Parker a place ahead of Carrick or Huddlestone. Tough call between all of the wingers. The least experienced, Adam Johnson, is in the best form and should get a place. Walcott is too unpredictable but the same could be said of Lennon and SWP.

Of the strikers, Bent is the most likely to miss out

In Green's defence, he's a good goalie but has had a shit defence in front of him, naturally it can affect his gameplay.

Defenders: Leighton Baines, Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock.

Midfielders: Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Tom Huddlestone, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Scott Parker, Theo Walcott, Shaun Wright-Phillips.

I'd exlude the bolded. It's a good if not great squad.

Huddlestone strikes me as an Essien wannabe, but nowhere near as good. Parker is better than him IMO at the moment. If Carrick was half the player he wanted to be, he would still be nowhere near as good as the player he wishes to be, Xabi Alonso. Still not bad though.

We really lack great options in defensive midfield. I wouldn't take Gerrard on current form but he can at least cover the whole midfield.

Gerrard could play the defensive midfield role but he has not done it in so long for either club or country that he may not be reliable. Huddlestone with his sheer size, power and athleticism should be made to play defensive midfield but Spurs don't need him there at the moment as they have Palacios. I would give Parker a go in that role in the warm up games to see if he fits in with Lampard and Gerrard in front of him.

Don't think so many defenders are needed. Dawson, Upson and Warnock might all miss out with Carragher and Milner able to cover several positions.

Four wingers is overkill too but I don't know which one should be dropped. Johnson should stay but Lennon, Walcott and SWP are all equally wasteful

Defenders: Leighton Baines, Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock.

Walt? WAAAALT!

Rooney should be on there twice. Fucking maniac.

I am more concerned about our lack of decent strikers.

Apart from the nutter that is Rooney all we've got is Peter "I can only score against shit teams" Crouch, still I suppose thats better than Heskey, Defoe and Bent who cant score at all

Argies

Sergio Romero (AZ Alkmaar), Mariano Andujar (Catania), Diego Pozo (Colon); Nicolas Burdisso (Inter Milan), Martin Demichelis (Bayern Munich), Walter Samuel (Inter Milan), Gabriel Heinze (Olympique Marseille), Nicolas Otamendi (Velez Sarsfield), Fabricio Coloccini (Newcastle), Juan Manuel Insaurralde (Newell's Old Boys), Clemente Rodriguez (Estudiantes), Ariel Garce (Colon); Javier Mascherano (Liverpool), Sebastian Blanco (Lanus), Juan Sebastian Veron (Estudiantes), Jesus Datolo (Olympiacos), Jose Sosa (Estudiantes), Maximiliano Rodriguez (Liverpool), Mario Bolatti (Fiorentina), Juan Mercier (Argentinos Juniors), Angel Di María (Benfica), Jonas Gutiérrez (Newcastle), Javier Pastore (Palermo); Sergio Agüero (Atletico Madrid), Diego Milito (Inter Milan), Martin Palermo (Boca Juniors), Carlos Tevez (Manchester City), Gonzalo Higuain (Real Madrid), Lionel Messi (Barcelona), Ezequiel Lavezzi (Napoli).

Disappointed not to see Phil Jagielka. Most surprised that Stuart Downing isn't even in the squad. Thank God injuries saved us from Wes Brown.

Huddlestone
Warnock
Wright-Phillips
Darren Bent

And I don't know where to axe the other 3. I can't see Lennon, Walcott and Milner all going, one of them has to be dropped and it won't be Walcott. Probably Milner to miss out. Personally I'd drop Heskey, use Walcott as a striker and keep Milner and Lennon.

Milner has to go as does Johnson - they deserve it on current form. While I think we have a great base for the future (Johnson etc), we cant take a squad full of players like Bent and Huddlestone who have not even smelt the highest level in European footy let alone an international tournament. But Milner and Johnson strike me as deserving, given that they played their way into Capellos plans.

The Argies are screwed. Not a good squad. Can't believe Cambiasso, Zanetti and Banega aren't picked.

No Ronaldinho either.

Baines, Dawson/Upson, Huddlestone, Parker/Barry, Wright-Phillips and Carrick won't go.

Bent (24 league goals) will be the striker that misses out, even though it should be Emile Heskey (3 league goals).

Midfield wise, England have Frank Lampard, Joe Cole, Steve Gerrard, Gaz Baz, Aaron Lennon, Adam Johnson and Foetus Walcott.

Midfield wise, Argentina have Juan Sebastien Veron, Jonas Gutierrez and a load of players that play in Portugal. They also have Diego Maradona as a manager.

Teams that lose 6-0 to Bolivia are not the biggest threats. Korea and Greece can spring an upset, and you really never know with Nigeria. Of all the seeds, they're probably the most likely to go out in the first round.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back