Why hasn't there been a Goldberg DVD??

Hollywood Naitch

The current reigning and defending
I was looking on YouTube yesterday and came across several clips dedicated as a tribute to Bill Goldberg, and while watching them I rememberd how exciting he was to watch back in his prime. While he was obviously not the greatest wrestler of all time, and cannot be compared to legends such as Angle, Hart and Flair, Goldberg was a phenomenon, and became loved by the WCW like almost no other before him.

WWE release a hell of a lot of DVDs, several every month so I was thinking.. Why have they never released a DVD dedicated to the legacy of Goldberg??

Yes, he didnt have a career spanning decades like Bret Hart or Shawn Michaels, but the impact he had in his short career should never be forgotten. The DVD would not have to be a 3 disc Anthology, just a sit down interview with "Da Man", and then a 2nd disc which features some of his matches. For example, we all know Goldberg had "The Streak", and obviously all the matches on this could not be shown a dvd, but certain ones could be.

- The debut, where the streak began
- The 50th victory
- The US title win over Raven
-The WCW Title win over Hollywood Hogan
-Any other milestone victories (e.g the 100th win)
-The ending of the streak in the match with Kevin Nash

Also, his WWE debut, the subsequent match with The Rock at Backlash 2003, his World Heavweight Championship victory and the Elimination Chamber match could all be included, and even the WM Match against Brock Lesnar, if WWE wanted to be cruel lol

With the rumours of Goldberg being entered into the Hall Of Fame swirling around, and the man himself stating his desire to step into the ring one more time, I think a DVD of his career could be released after these things happen, so they could be included on the disk, but not before.

With the enduring popularity of Goldberg, I think the DVD would be a success. Hell, if John Morrison can have a DVD dedicated to him, and The Hardy Boyz have had dvds looking at their careers, Goldberg had much more of an impact during his short career than these guys and I certainly think a DVD on him would sell.

What do you think? Will we be seeing a Goldberg DVD in the near future? Does he deserve it?

I know exactly what your thinking I'm surprised there hasn't been one myself, Goldberg is just awesome lol. He said he left WWE due to there being kids watching wrestling whilst you had kissing etc, but now he could come back seeing as its PG? Maybe WWE are hoping he comes back as *what I think he will be...*

LEADER OF NEXUS!! ("You're NXT!) <-- I can imagine the number of T-shirts they can make with that and Goldberg standing behind an "N" etc... O.O

I dont know why there hasn't been a Goldberg dvd. He had a huge impact on WCW in the late 90s early 2000, and he would be one that can say he helped Wcw beat Wwf for some of that time.

Wwe has dropped the ball on ALOT of DVD projects, though they've done miracles on them as of late.

The one Im more curious about, is why hasn't Kurt ANgle gotten one. I know the TNA thing is an issue, but he didnt get one during his time that he was in wwe. Morrison got one already, and that is a shame, he's great an all, but not Angle great.

I dont know why there hasn't been a Goldberg dvd. He had a huge impact on WCW in the late 90s early 2000, and he would be one that can say he helped Wcw beat Wwf for some of that time.

Wwe has dropped the ball on ALOT of DVD projects, though they've done miracles on them as of late.

The one Im more curious about, is why hasn't Kurt ANgle gotten one. I know the TNA thing is an issue, but he didnt get one during his time that he was in wwe. Morrison got one already, and that is a shame, he's great an all, but not Angle great.

Didnt have one called "Its True Its True" when he was in the WWE?

As soon as he retires from wrestling (if he hasnt returned to the WWE before then), then he will definately have a 3 disc anthology set with a big interview and hours of classic matches. Kurt Angle is one of the most deserving of a career spanning DVD box set no question about it. He is a wrestling god

Yes, I do agree that a Goldberg DVD would be great. There are also several other wrestlers from the WCW/NWA era that are deserving of their own DVD. Sting being the most obvious. Lex Luger also deserves his own DVD. So does DDP, the Steiner Brothers, and Booker T.

Yes, I do agree that a Goldberg DVD would be great. There are also several other wrestlers from the WCW/NWA era that are deserving of their own DVD. Sting being the most obvious. Lex Luger also deserves his own DVD. So does DDP, the Steiner Brothers, and Booker T.

The Steiners DVD would be great. 1 or 2 discs could be the tag team stuff, and Scott could have his own 3rd DVD looking at his solo career as Big Poppa Pump. I think there would be enough good stuff to fill a 3 disc set on The Steiners no question.

There could also be a DVD dedicated to the Cruiserweights in WCW, or the Tag Teams (Steiners could be on there, if WWE did not deem them worthy of their own box set)

Here's the thing.. I think you have a seriously valid point on the fact that it would make money. But for my money, it's just simply not worth it. Seeing much better talents having to job to him is not for me. I would much rather see a Kurt Angle DVD. HBK vs. Angle at Wrestlemania is still one of the best matches ever.

When did people start talking about Goldberg being inducted in the Hall of Fame, I haven't heard/read about this.. Not that he doesn't deserve it, but I think there are plenty who deserve it more/first.

I'd like to see a Goldberg DVD but with only a 4 year career in Wrestling it's not going to have a lot content and its not like his matches were 5 Star. Plus with Sting, Flair, Hogan, Tenay, and Bishoff all in TNA, how are they going to do interviews?

Though if the WWE is going to do a DVD I think it will be done at a time either when (a) Goldberg makes a short term return or (b) if he's inducted to the hall of fame.

What would be awesome though is if the WWE can manage to put all his 173 Undefeated streak on the DVD. Seeing as most matches don't even last 5 mins (heck Hogan vs. Goldberg was less than 10 mins), I would think its possible.

Goldberg is like the WCW version of The Ultimate Warrior. He never had 5-star matches, was terrible on the Mic, and basically had squash matches but was hugely over. Goldberg wasn't the most popular figure with other wrestlers like the Warrior but somehow connected with the fans. He was the only new star that WCW created during there most popular era from 1996-1998 with WWF re-treads or established stars like Flair and Sting.

His popularity is unquestioned though as he was for a short period on the same level as Stone Cold and The Rock. You could make the DVD the Self Destruction of Goldberg similar to the Ultimate Warrior in that he believed his own hype and it ruined his career.

2 reasons:

1) Goldberg didn't have enough good moments and matches to constitute a full DVD (what will be on it 100 squash matches and the other 6 he had). Sure Goldberg had his moments but all of that can be summed up in about 10 minutes, certainly not enough to deserve a DVD. He didn't have any memorable feuds and outside of simply plowing over the competition, there wasn't really much else to Goldberg, frankly his DVD would be boring as shit.

2) Goldberg only wrestled 4-5 years, so he didn't have a huge career that's worth chronicling. There are plenty of others that deserve a DVD before him (someone already said the Steiner's, that DVD would be awesome) so they really shouldn't bother until they run out of ideas. If they do put him in a DVD, it would be best if its like "Greatest powerhouse wrestlers of the 90's" so they can celebrate his career without making it boring and just wrap it up quickly (like in 10-15 minutes). Like I said before, there's not much to Goldbergs career so a full DVD dedicated to Goldberg wouldn't be worth it.

Like was said previously he had a DVD or VHS in WCW. But they could always put it in HD and add some more content to it and re-release it .

But if HoF is going to be WCW themed this year i can see a few WCW DVDs in the works. Also if flair finished with TNA when his contract ends we might get a Four Horsemen Induction and a DVD to go with which would be amazing

I was thinking about this the other day. Ridiculous that he doesnt have a DVD yet. He wasent the best wrestler but easily one of the top guys they ever had. Now someone said cause WCW had a dvd for him, well WWF has a vhs for jericho covering a lot, but they still released a new dvd this year.

Goldberg certainly deserves a dvd more than John Morrison. But then again so does Big Show, Randy Orton and a lot more people.

I would be up for this dvd even if it was all squash matches!!! He did have a few good moments either way. Plus they can easily use all the backstage segments/brawl and other wrestlers talk about him on the dvd. Like the Warrior DVD!!! Come on I was a fan of his even though WWE messed is dvd up it was still decent to watch time to time though.

Of course if LOD/Road Warriors had a dvd which i think it could've been a lot better then what it was. Steiner Brothers and tons of others could easily and should have DVD's by now.

WWE having NWA, AWA, WCCW, WWWF, ECW, WCW, WWF, and WWE film footage; why don
they use it and make dvd for the fans. We all will buy them and all want them one way or another. Some of the dvd they make I wish they would seperate them or make some kind of volume (Anthology) at list like.!

The Most Powerful Families In Wrestling (2-Disc) (seperated in volumes/Anthology type dvd to be more detail then rush to talk about the main guys of the title instead of rush the dvd at times)
The World's Greatest Wrestling Managers (seperated in volumes/Anthology type dvd to be more detail then rush to talk about the main guys of the title instead of rush the dvd at times)
Allied Powers: The World's Greatest Tag Teams
The History of the Intercontinental Championship (seperated in volumes/Anthology type dvd to be more detail then rush to talk about the main guys of the title instead of rush the dvd at times)
The History of the World Heavyweight Championship (seperated in volumes/Anthology type dvd to be more detail then rush to talk about the main guys of the title instead of rush the dvd at times)
The History of the WWE Championship (seperated in volumes/Anthology type dvd to be more detail then rush to talk about the main guys of the title instead of rush the dvd at times)
Best of Raw Vol. 1/Best of Raw Vol. 2/Best Of Raw: Seasons 1 & 2/Raw 10th Anniversary/WWE Raw 15th Anniversary (3-Disc) [if you watched all these in order I can still promise you once you get done you will feel like their could've been more to it or it these dvd. also some matches or segments not being used.]

Raw/Nitro (tv shows by years not just one or two matches from that month or year. I'm talking about the entire shows on DVD)
Smackdown/Thunder (tv shows by years not just one or two matches from that month or year. I'm talking about the entire shows on DVD)
Heat, Velocity, Saturday Night, and etc (tv shows by years not just one or two matches from that month or year. I'm talking about the entire shows on DVD)
PPV (tv shows by years not just one or two matches from that month or year. I'm talking about the entire shows on DVD)

As a fan I want more detail in the DVD just not few matches here and their. I know for some won't be possible because of few wrestlers has passed and we all know about the whole Benoit story which really really sux as a fan. If anyone gets WWE ondemand any matches with him as not been air during the WCW Nitro. I get it and understand why but lets face it he had tons of great matches that we won't see except on youtube or something.

Some dvd's that I gotten that could've and should've been a lot better then what they actually did. Most of it cause of the wrong matches they picked or not enough matches.

Ric Flair and The 4 Horsemen (2-Disc) (seperated in volumes/Anthology type dvd to be more detail then rush to talk about the main guys of the title instead of rush the dvd at times) [same example as nWO]
D-Generation X/The New & Improved DX (3-Disc) [same example as nWO]
Hulk Still Rules (2-Disc)
Jeff Hardy: My Life, My Rules (3-Disc)
Lita: It Just Feels Right
The Life and Times of Mr. Perfect (2-Disc)
nWo – Back In Black (this could've been at least close to 5 disc type thing at least even some of the crappy stuff should been put in it)
Rey Mysterio: 619/Rey Mysterio: The Biggest Little Man (3-Disc)
Ric Flair and The 4 Horsemen (2-Disc)
Road Warriors: The Life & Death of The Most Dominant Tag Team in Wrestling History (2-Disc)
Trish Stratus: 100% Stratusfaction Guaranteed
The Self-Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior (DVD & UMD Releases)
Hulk Hogan: The Ultimate Anthology (4-Disc)
Hulk Hogan: Unreleased Collector's Series (3-Disc)
The Twisted, Disturbed Life of Kane (3-Disc)
Macho Madness: The Ultimate Randy Savage Collection (3-Disc)
Rob Van Dam: One of A Kind (2-Disc DVD)
The Best Of The High Fliers (disappointed in sooo many ways as a high flyer type wrestling fan) (seperated in volumes/Anthology type dvd to be more detail then rush to talk about the main guys of the title instead of rush the dvd at times)

The funny thing is mostly all the Rock, Steve Austin, Triple H, and Undertaker are always so dang good or could not be too disappointed in what you brought because if you watch them all together at the same time it was like watching them begining to the end of their career again which is what we want as fans. For some odd reasons they can do it this well compare to all the other dvd's they've done in the past which sux.

I didn't really enjoy the Shawn Michaels or Ric Flair dvd because I felt like they were something missing. Don't get me wrong they were better then some I mention above but not as good as the Rock, Steve Austin, Triple H, and Undertaker DVD's.

I think you get the point WWE got the resource and money to make all of this happen but the question is why not? Half the stuff does get on WWE ondemand but soo much stuff gets edit or taken off which still sux. YOu get my point on this stuff. Goldberg is just another wrestler that may or may not get one. So who knows and why.! [Also, on side not I said the same thing for TNA even though they don't have that much footage to use but you might as well start using what you got to make some money some way instead of the way they are doing now.!!]

Goldberg doesn't have a dvd because he was a flash in the pan. He didn't grow up wanting to be a wrestler. He didn't travel throughout the world or even the country to learn his craft. He was an NFL bust who happened to live in Atlanta where WCW was run. His look got some attention so he gave wrestling a shot to make some money. He got over because he had a look similar to Steve Austin when Austin was the hottest thing going. He had no passion for wrestling so he doesn't really have a story to tell.

Here's how the dvd would go. Goldberg says he has no memories of wrestling from his childhood and says he got in the business because his NFL career was over and he needed some money. Other stars comment on how green he was and how he really didn't understand the business. They can talk about how he was really popular for one year and that's about it. Then we can see 20 second squash matches of him against Jerry Flynn and Barry Darsow.

I think I'll pass on that dvd. I've never seen someone get so much love from fans for having one good year. Take out 1998 and Goldberg is nothing. He's incredibily lucky. The phrases right place right time and one year wonder define Goldberg's success in wrestling.

Goldberg doesn't have a dvd because he was a flash in the pan. He didn't grow up wanting to be a wrestler. He didn't travel throughout the world or even the country to learn his craft. He was an NFL bust who happened to live in Atlanta where WCW was run. His look got some attention so he gave wrestling a shot to make some money. He got over because he had a look similar to Steve Austin when Austin was the hottest thing going. He had no passion for wrestling so he doesn't really have a story to tell.

Here's how the dvd would go. Goldberg says he has no memories of wrestling from his childhood and says he got in the business because his NFL career was over and he needed some money. Other stars comment on how green he was and how he really didn't understand the business. They can talk about how he was really popular for one year and that's about it. Then we can see 20 second squash matches of him against Jerry Flynn and Barry Darsow.

I think I'll pass on that dvd. I've never seen someone get so much love from fans for having one good year. Take out 1998 and Goldberg is nothing. He's incredibily lucky. The phrases right place right time and one year wonder define Goldberg's success in wrestling.

Could say the same thing about Batista just without the NFL career. Two are pretty similiar, both looked great due to their opponents.

In agreement with Brain on this one. When you watch DVDs like Jericho's there is a huge part on the documentary of him talking about travelling the different countries, perfecting his craft and his memories and how much he loved wrestling and him and his friends talking about how they would wrestle in their back yard.

I have never heard of anything from Goldberg like that. His DVD was be incredibly boring to watch because yeah, he had the streak but who wants a DVD full of mostly squash matches? The matches he had against some other guys like Diamond Dallas Page (Halloween Havoc 98) are only considered good because of the other guys giving him a great match and putting him over.

Sure, he was World Heavyweight Champion in WWE but his reign didn't ammount to anything, I seem to remember him losing to Triple H at the very next PPV?

Not worth the $30 price tag for a new wrestling DVD here.

Didnt have one called "Its True Its True" when he was in the WWE?

As soon as he retires from wrestling (if he hasnt returned to the WWE before then), then he will definately have a 3 disc anthology set with a big interview and hours of classic matches. Kurt Angle is one of the most deserving of a career spanning DVD box set no question about it. He is a wrestling god

They did indeed. But that VHS was so short, and was in the old style, with KAYFABE interviews, and just clipped footage.He deserves much more than that.

Hardy boyz have 2
Jeff hardy has a 3 disc
Taker has like 4-5

Its not impossible to do this, I hope he comes back and we can get a proper disc set for Angle.

Goldberg, could get at least a 2 disc, I know the whole lack of interest Vince has in wrestlers he didnt make, but ALOT of money is there to be made with a Goldberg dvd.

Now someone said cause WCW had a dvd for him, well WWF has a vhs for jericho covering a lot, but they still released a new dvd this year.

Jericho had many years in WWE which provided enough content to be different than the WCW DVD. Goldbergs WWE run was short and lackluster. It didn't provide anywhere near enough new content.

I don't agree with all of the flash in the pan comments. I get he didn't keep his "job" for 10 years like people expect, but how long have you had your job? Most likely not 10 years. Your job also doesn't require you to be away from your family almost the whole time while traveling and getting your ass kicked daily. Bill Goldberg's name is bigger than most people who spent their entire lives in the business. Just the other day i was watching a random channel, most likely discovery or history, and someone made a comment about wanting to spear something like Goldberg. In my possibly wrong opinion Goldberg is a bigger and more well known name than both Jericho and Orton. Throw in the fact that the Goldberg monster truck dominated that industry and I think my opinion is a rather safe bet.

I'm gonna get flamed for this but here goes.

First of all Goldberg does not deserve a DVD set of his own. He is a good wrestler but he is not great. Best things in his time were going up against Hollywood Hogan and The Rock. He has done so little for WWE/WCW compared to people like Stone Cold Steve Austin, Triple H, The Rock, Hulk Hogan, Rick Flair, Sting, Kevin Nash.. I could go on but i won't. Bill was a powerhouse and he was good, again not great.

Yes he had a winning streak which puts him up there but again, done so little for Wrestling. He's no Hulk Hogan, Rick Flair and even no John Cena.

Well for those who don't think he deserves a DVD he is getting one.

"WWEDVDNEWS.COM has confirmed that WWE is currently working on two new WCW themed DVD releases for 2011. The first release is due out around May and will be the best of Nitro seasons 1 and 2. It will follow the format of the Raw seasons 1 and 2 release from this year. The second release will be sometime in the summer of 2011 and will be a 2-3 disc set on Goldberg. This will feature a documentary on him plus around 20 matches from both his WCW and WWE runs. WWEDVDNEWS.COM will be releasing more info weekly for the next 6 weeks or so on new WWE DVDs planned for 2011 so make sure you check out there site for all the latest information."

Come on, with an apparent WCW style hall of fame coming out it was obvious that the most popular wrestler WCW ever had was going to get a dvd.

i dont think it would be a bad thing for him to get a dvd on him--sure the matches wont be that great--but most wrestling fans will buy it i think just of the fact they enjoy watching wrestling matches and seeing what entertains them and what dont.

personally i buy every release from WWE and TNA and granted a lot of the content is hard to watch for me personally but every fan is entertained by something different and i was always entertained by goldberg even in squash matches because if he was or not he always made you feel like you were seeing the baddest sob on the planet.

im sure i might hear how goldberg couldnt wrestle and had 2 or 3 moves at most but isnt wrestling a personal choice of what entertains a fan? to each his own.

Several reasons why Goldberg doesn't have a DVD

1-WWE has no contract of any sort with him, they need something like that so that he can't just go off an sign with another company right after the release and WWE's initial investment into a ad campaign/promotion of the DVD

2-They really don't have anyone decent to interview for the "Documentary" portion of the DVD, as has said pointed out already, Sting, Flair, Hogan, Jarrett, Bischoff, and most of the other guys who could really give any insight into the career of Goldberg are currently signed to TNA

3-Pretty much everything that would be covered on the DVD was already covered in the Rise & Fall of WCW DVD, all you would do is get a few more matches and that's about it

4-Goldberg is a money hungry bitch, in order to get him to have anything to do this DVD WWE would have to pay him a ridiculous sum of money

5-There really isn't much of a demand out there for anything Goldberg related, nobody gives a shit about the guy anymore

Maybe because if you seen one Goldberg match you'd seen them all?
I'm a Goldberg mark, I thought his WWE career wasn't as bad as people made it out to be, he give his persona a tweak and rolled with the times, but a DVD would fail, unless it was a single DVD with 5 matches as extras Scott Hall US title & Hogan World title same night, I QUIT match with SID, Rock, Chris Jericho (Badd Blood 2003) and Survivor Series.

I had one hard time thinking of Passable matches Goldberg had, I know he had a couple with Bret in late 99 (Tournament match, STARCADE & NITRO) but they all had shady finishes, but his WWE career he was MADE to work long matches and the 3 I placed above were his better WWE matches, in WCW I named his better and more historical matches, but a Goldberg DVD would fail big time.

1. WWE would put their spin on his career.
2. You'd not get the low down of the ins and outs of wcw without the WCW failed crap being brought up.
3. WWE would showcase HHH beating Goldberg the few times he did as HIGHLIGHTS of Goldbergs career.
4. A single dvd release just wouldn't be enough for new fans to shell out on a guy they either don't know, or heard bits and bobs about him and the older fans would shell out considering they've not heard anything from him wrestling wise since March 2004.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back