Why don't comedians win the Oscar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Attitude

Getting Noticed By Management
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5JAPkvnyso

This pretty much sums up a comedian at the Oscars.:) I've always wondered why don't comedians win at the Oscars? Robin Williams one an oscar. I'm not sure who else won one but Robin Williams is the only comedian I'm aware of right now that has an Oscar win. There are a long list of comedians that deserve to have won the Oscar.

Jim Carrey-As I mentioned in a previous post he had several classics. Definately one of the most deserving of an Oscar.

Adam Sandler-I think he also deserves one. Punch Drunk Love was nominated. Reign Over Me was also a great movie. I know pretty much all of his movies are comedies but there are a few (the more recent ones) that have a clear and meaningful message in them.

Will Farrell-Stranger Than Fiction was great. And with the Producers he definately show he can do more than just one or two roles.

Jack Black-King Kong and The Holiday. These movies he was completely out of box. Glad to see a different side to him.

Ben Stiller-Same as Jim Carrey. Had classics. Deserving of being an Oscar winner.

Anyway, Why do you guys think comedians don't win or get showcased a lot at the Oscars?

Edit: Why isn't the Comedy Genre included in the Oscars? Not every drama actor is good at doing comedies (Bruce Willis-Cop Out)

I've always wondered why don't comedians win at the Oscars? Robin Williams one an oscar. I'm not sure who else won one but Robin Williams is the only comedian I'm aware of right now that has an Oscar win. There are a long list of comedians that deserve to have won the Oscar.

Honest answer to your question is, Pretty much every comedy made will never be taking seriously enough for an Academy Award When does an Actor/Actress in a comedy make you say "Wow I was totally blown away by their performance in that movie?". Dramas and action/dramas always get the most votes plain and simple. Briefly looking at who won the awards I never saw a comedy win an Oscar for leading role, only supporting role, which Jack Palance did for City Slickers back in 1991.

To say Robin Williams won one, fine but what did he win it for? A supporting role in Good Will Hunting! Where is the comedy in that Williams portrayed?

Adam Sandler-I think he also deserves one. Punch Drunk Love was nominated. Reign Over Me was also a great movie. I know pretty much all of his movies are comedies but there are a few (the more recent ones) that have a clear and meaningful message in them.

Punch Drunk Love, was never nominated for an Oscar, it was for a Golden Globe!! You know where they actually have a category for Best Actor/Actress in a Musical or Comedy, which is an romantic-comedy!

The only time Comedies are really played attention to in either award show is basically when they are drama-comedies or romantic-comedies. Not flat out comedies.

Put it this way you said Jim Carrey deserved one because he was in some classics. Yes he was in some classic comedy films, lets take one of his most known performances in Ace Ventura Pet Detective came out in 1994. Now lets see what was the Academy Award for that year, Tom Hanks for Philadelphia. There is no comparison on who was a better actor.

You should know that Carrey did win a Golden Globe for best Actor in a Musical or Comedy though for Man on the Moon, which was a drama-comedy, once again like I said either drama-comedies or romantic-comedies are the ones being nominated.

A comedian doing a serious role doesn't mean you should automatically be considered for an Oscar. Jake Black in King Kong? Bollocks. If a performance deserves if, regardless of genre, they should be nominated. Jack Black in School Of Rock is more of a maybe than Jack Black in King Kong.

Comedians doing serious films always looks desperate to me. Probably because in most cases the films they're doing are fucking boring. They think doing a crappy drama is the best way of getting an Oscar. When really the best way for a comedian to get, at least, a nomination is to play a psychopath in a thriller.

Great comedies should always get nominations over average dramas. But the same should also apply to horror & sci-fi.

It's annoying and ridiculous cliche that nowadays that the top films at the Oscars are the ones nobody has heard of which are then the ones with all the drama based around Nazis/war or biopics.
Comedians may get the recognition with something like a best Comedy Actor award but the sad truth of the matter is, not matter a comedian does in a film, the Academy Awards will just think - 'this role didn't require as much effort because they're just dicking around'.
Comedians doing a serious role does look desperate but you can understand because they're trying to prove they can do serious acting - Jim Carrey in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind pops to mind.

Honest answer to your question is, Pretty much every comedy made will never be taking seriously enough for an Academy Award When does an Actor/Actress in a comedy make you say "Wow I was totally blown away by their performance in that movie?". Dramas and action/dramas always get the most votes plain and simple. Briefly looking at who won the awards I never saw a comedy win an Oscar for leading role, only supporting role, which Jack Palance did for City Slickers back in 1991.

To say Robin Williams won one, fine but what did he win it for? A supporting role in Good Will Hunting! Where is the comedy in that Williams portrayed?

Punch Drunk Love, was never nominated for an Oscar, it was for a Golden Globe!! You know where they actually have a category for Best Actor/Actress in a Musical or Comedy, which is an romantic-comedy!

The only time Comedies are really played attention to in either award show is basically when they are drama-comedies or romantic-comedies. Not flat out comedies.

Put it this way you said Jim Carrey deserved one because he was in some classics. Yes he was in some classic comedy films, lets take one of his most known performances in Ace Ventura Pet Detective came out in 1994. Now lets see what was the Academy Award for that year, Tom Hanks for Philadelphia. There is no comparison on who was a better actor.

You should know that Carrey did win a Golden Globe for best Actor in a Musical or Comedy though for Man on the Moon, which was a drama-comedy, once again like I said either drama-comedies or romantic-comedies are the ones being nominated.

First, I NEVER said Robin Williams won for a Comedy Movie. I specifically said he's the only comedian that I know of to win an Oscar.

Second, I was wrong about Adam Sandler. I thought he was nominated for an Oscar but you were right he wasn't.

Finally, my own personal opnion is you can't say Tom Hanks is a better actor than Jim Carrey. Your example of Jim Carrey in Ace Ventura, and Tom Hanks in Philidelphia is good but as we covered comedies just don't get represented at the Oscars. Ace Ventura was a classic. Also Jim Carrey has been successful at going over to Drama ex. The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Truman Show, Man On The Moon. Jim Carrey is one of the best actors and I personally think he's done a great job of being able to do both comedy and drama.

A comedian doing a serious role doesn't mean you should automatically be considered for an Oscar. Jake Black in King Kong? Bollocks. If a performance deserves if, regardless of genre, they should be nominated. Jack Black in School Of Rock is more of a maybe than Jack Black in King Kong.

Comedians doing serious films always looks desperate to me. Probably because in most cases the films they're doing are fucking boring. They think doing a crappy drama is the best way of getting an Oscar. When really the best way for a comedian to get, at least, a nomination is to play a psychopath in a thriller.

Great comedies should always get nominations over average dramas. But the same should also apply to horror & sci-fi.

I NEVER said that because a comedian does a drama they automatically should be considered for an Oscar. That was never the point. The actors I listed were successful at (Jim Carrey, Adam Sandler, or Will Farrell) or somewhat successful at(Ben Stiller-somewhat) doing dramas. Not every comedian has been successful at being in dramas which is why I didn't mention every single comedian.

Jack Black in King Kong-It was a good movie. And the point was he showed he can change his character and make it more realistic.

Oh and by the way the best way for a comedian to win isn't by playing a psychopath. Example Jim Carrey in the Number 23. I know I supported Jim Carrey in drama but this is his only drama that I've heard get absolutely horrible reviews. Jim Carrey has done a great job in dramas.

The actors I listed were successful at (Jim Carrey, Adam Sandler, or Will Farrell) or somewhat successful at(Ben Stiller-somewhat) doing dramas.

Not really though. Jim Carrey has The Truman Show and that is where the story ends.

Jack Black in King Kong-It was a good movie. And the point was he showed he can change his character and make it more realistic.

I'm not seeing it, that film had a big gorilla and dinosaurs. I can't look at that film and say it was a realistic performance. My guess is that Jack Black would react totally differently if he encountered a Velociraptor.

Oh and by the way the best way for a comedian to win isn't by playing a psychopath. Example Jim Carrey in the Number 23.

I meant a psychopath in a proper film.

Jim Carrey has done a great job in dramas.

The Majestic? Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind? Man On The Moon? People only remember one of those three, that one being the film that isn't a drama.

Not really though. Jim Carrey has The Truman Show and that is where the story ends.

I'm not seeing it, that film had a big gorilla and dinosaurs. I can't look at that film and say it was a realistic performance. My guess is that Jack Black would react totally differently if he encountered a Velociraptor.

I meant a psychopath in a proper film.

The Majestic? Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind? Man On The Moon? People only remember one of those three, that one being the film that isn't a drama.

As far as Jack Black and King Kong is I realize there aren't giant gorillas or dinasaurs walking around. I'm specifically talking about his performance. He wasn't playing an over the top comedian which is what he's known for. I also was pointing out the fact he was in a movie he wasn't typically known for doing and he handled the role just fine.

And Jim Carrey with the three movies you mentioned a couple of those are are pretty well recognized today. The Majestic is probably the least recognizable out of the other two. But that was still a good performance by Jim Carrey. Eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind still gets called a drama. If it is a comedy it's a dark comedy. Man on the Moon was movie based On Andy Kauffman's career so that wouldn't be a comedy.

Well let's say I recognized the Majestic. I'm a little biased because I'm a huge Jim Carrey fan. But still to say Jim Carrey wasn't successful at all in drama is wrong. He won for the The Truman Show and Man On The Moon (Golden Globes). Eternal Sunshine I always hear good things about. So Jim Carrey had success in drama too.

But as I said these are my personal opinions.

Jamie Foxx in "Ray".

Comedian, who won an Oscar.

As to why comedic movies don't win Oscars? It's because the Academy is kinda pretentious about those types of things.

First, I NEVER said Robin Williams won for a Comedy Movie. I specifically said he's the only comedian that I know of to win an Oscar.

Then maybe try and word your thread a little differently, the way you make it seem is that actors should win for comedies, not when they step out and do something different.

Finally, my own personal opnion is you can't say Tom Hanks is a better actor than Jim Carrey. Your example of Jim Carrey in Ace Ventura, and Tom Hanks in Philidelphia is good but as we covered comedies just don't get represented at the Oscars. Ace Ventura was a classic. Also Jim Carrey has been successful at going over to Drama ex. The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Truman Show, Man On The Moon. Jim Carrey is one of the best actors and I personally think he's done a great job of being able to do both comedy and drama.

Well actually I could say that because it is my opinion. Tom Hanks is and will always be better than Carrey. His two Oscar buddies will say that too. I agree with you all the way that Ace Ventura was a classic, theres no denying it, but was the role Oscar worthy for Carrey for being a funny goof ball, no!

I'm sorry I left this out in my first post, it was late when I wrote it. But look at who I mentioned in Tom Hanks. What was he known for before he won the Academy Award? Comedies!!!! By the way he was nominated for best actor for the movie Big, a comedy before he won for a drama. So see actors I guess can get nominated sometimes for comedies.

I NEVER said that because a comedian does a drama they automatically should be considered for an Oscar. That was never the point. The actors I listed were successful at (Jim Carrey, Adam Sandler, or Will Farrell) or somewhat successful at(Ben Stiller-somewhat) doing dramas. Not every comedian has been successful at being in dramas which is why I didn't mention every single comedian.

Right you never said that, but you asked why they don't and we told you. They might have been in decent movies, but in the eyes of the Academy Awards they didn't do a good enough job to be nominated or win.

JB definitely played a different role, but this is like saying what your not trying to say then right, because he stepped out of comedies, he should be nominated. If not tell me why you mention it, because that role wasn't Oscar worthy.

I've never seen a pure comedy that deserved to win the Oscar.

For example, I love Dumb and Dumber to this day and it's a film that will surely stand the test of time, but how in the World does it deserve an Oscar? Can anyone really argue it's a better movie than Forrest Gump, Pulp Fiction, Ed Wood, The Shawshank Redemption, et cetera? Of course you can't, and the fact of the matter is... for Dumb and Dumber to win some Oscars the year it came out, that's the competition they would have had to beat. And every comedy you can name will have competition like that. The Hangover was fucking fantastic, but is it really a better movie than Inglourious Basterds and The Hurt Locker? No, and the list goes on and on.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is one of my favorite movies. it was nominated for 2 Academy awards (Jim Carrey wasn't nominated btw) but still, this film show's how good can Jim Carrey be.

I have to agree with Buffalo Dave, your title to the thread make me thought other things..
Anyway, I think that the "Academy" doesn't take serious comedians. I mean, when they try to go in a different direction (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Stranger than Fiction...) the performance never falls short for them, because they are "comedians" and not "actors". it doesn't matter how big can be their performances, they are only comedians. why there is disrespect? simply cause being a comedian it's an "easy" job, while being a "real actor" needs more to be considered "good".

but I insist, as two legendarys comediann said once, "an actor is versatile. he isn't a comedian, or action heroe...he is an ACTOR".

now IMO the "Academy" only applies for USA, cause only american movies counts there, and comedians are just comedians.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is one of my favorite movies. it was nominated for 2 Academy awards (Jim Carrey wasn't nominated btw) but still, this film show's how good can Jim Carrey be.

I have to agree with Buffalo Dave, your title to the thread make me thought other things..
Anyway, I think that the "Academy" doesn't take serious comedians. I mean, when they try to go in a different direction (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Stranger than Fiction...) the performance never falls short for them, because they are "comedians" and not "actors". it doesn't matter how big can be their performances, they are only comedians. why there is disrespect? simply cause being a comedian it's an "easy" job, while being a "real actor" needs more to be considered "good".

but I insist, as two legendarys comediann said once, "an actor is versatile. he isn't a comedian, or action heroe...he is an ACTOR".

now IMO the "Academy" only applies for USA, cause only american movies counts there, and comedians are just comedians.

You should be my Tag Team Poster. You can clarify my posts for when others don't understand.:)

Basically your answer was awesome and what I was looking for.

At Buffalo Dave.

Sorry if my title was misunderstanding. The point of thread is why Comedians aren't represented as much at the Oscars whether it be Comedy or Drama. I used the Dramas as Rev sXe said to show how great comedians can be in those roles. I'm not saying they should win anytime they do a drama role. I was using the dramas as an example that they can do other things besides comedy and that they can be great at it.

Hopefully that explains better.

Well actually I could say that because it is my opinion. Tom Hanks is and will always be better than Carrey. His two Oscar buddies will say that too. I agree with you all the way that Ace Ventura was a classic, theres no denying it, but was the role Oscar worthy for Carrey for being a funny goof ball, no!

JB definitely played a different role, but this is like saying what your not trying to say then right, because he stepped out of comedies, he should be nominated. If not tell me why you mention it, because that role wasn't Oscar worthy.

JB was in a different role. I didn't say it was Oscar worthy either. But his role was great and he showed a whole lot of potential in the movie. And again I didn't say because a comedian does a Drama they should autamatically be nominated or win the Oscars. I'm using dramas as examples that comedians are great actors.

There are people I listed (maybe not JB) but Jim Carrey that have deserved Oscars and are long overdo for one. That's just my opinion.

As for Tom Hanks being better than Jim Carrey is very debatable. But that's not for this thread. This is a whole other thread. But I would enjoy debating that with you.

Firstly, Jim Carrey sucks major ass as an actor, so I don't see why he'd ever be nominated for (let alone win) an Oscar. Secondly, comedic roles HAVE been recognized by AMPAS in the past (e.g., Cher won an Oscar for Moonstruck in 1988, Joan Cusack got a Best Supporting Actress nomination for In & Out in 1998, Robert Downey, Jr., got a Best Supporting Actor nomination for Tropic Thunder in 2009, those ***** in Juno and Little Miss Sunshine, etc.).

If I remember correctly, comedies used to get a lot more love back in the day when AMPAS only really paid attention to what Hollywood studios put out. Nowadays, they're pretty much obsessed with indie films when it comes to the acting categories. Since a preponderance of indie films are dramas, this probably goes a long way in answering your question.

Short answer, because the Academy has it's head up it's ass.

The academy awards have been an evening designed for Hollywood to get together and jerk themselves off. These are people who look down their nose at comedians and especially comedy films.

They prefer 2 hour snoozefests where characters never smile and everyone whispers their lines for some reason.

Award shows in general are pretentious self-stroking, but the Oscars remind us all that we are uncultured little twits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back