Why Doesn't WWE Raid TNA?

shattered dreams

Hexagonal Hedonist
Also, Does TNA not get enough credit for hanging on to "their guys?"

The other day I was thinking about the source of wrestlers to develop and I started to wonder, Why doesn't WWE seem to ever take a guy TNA built? Also, how is it that TNA seems to avoid losing the people that actually matter? Without thinking about it a lot I would say TNA has only lost one person that was somewhat of a blow and that was Christian (and he clearly wasn't first "made" by TNA). Monty Brown is pretty much the only TNA developed person that I can think of that WWE tried much at all with and the way that played out showed TNA wasn't missing much. I suppose Awesome Kong could be an example of this at some point, but until she actually does it I wouldn't bank on it and I wouldn't recommend banking on women's wrestling in general.

WWE does seem to have some interest in taking back some of their veterans from TNA and using them in non-wrestling roles (hard to say any of those losses really hurt TNA much at all in the long run) but why are they not looking at the younger talent? WWE seems to take first crack at many ROH guys but why haven't they expanded their search to a group that clearly is more polished for the product they would be a part of?

Is TNA much better at assessing the value of a wrestler than they get credit for (paying the guys that need to be paid and not paying those that WWE won't either) or is WWE just purposely avoiding such guys for some other reason?

Why would TNA guys jump? I mean, sure TNA has it's flaws, but it's also a much lighter schedule, what seems to be a very much so relaxed backstage and what seems like a steady rotation of talent in storylines and television time. For the upper card of TNA, guys like AJ Styles, James Storm, Robert Roode, Matt Morgan etc.., the ones that the WWE would steal, why would they jump? For heavier touring schedules, an entirely new set of politics, issues of being TNA guys coming into the company and the fact that they're not going to be protected as well as Vince's guys?

I mean, sure the money's probably better and they're getting more visibility, but are those two things really worth it when you add in the hectic lifestyle, the politics, etc.. It probably doesn't seem to be worth it.

And even if people did want to jump/leave, whose to say they'd be the ones that the WWE wanted to get? There was a big uproar a while back over Eric Young wanting more money from TNA. He ultimately stuck it out, because he knew the WWE didn't want him and that he wouldn't make as much money out in the independent circuit or in ROH.

Which is the very same reason ROH guys jump to TNA. They want the big-money, the spot-light, etc... These are the guys who've busted their asses on the independent circuit for years to make the leap, and while ROH is nice enough, it's never going to compare to the WWE vis-a-vis benefits.

TNA is also not as good, but you'll notice that over the last five years or so, the core of their company hasn't really left. They know what they have and what they'd give up to take a shot in the WWE, and they're not willing to risk it. Maybe because they have kids or mortages or whatever, but the average age of the TNA roster is much older than that of any independent outfit, and they have more serious concerns than the typical indy wrestler who's twenty something.

I think a lot of this boils down to two very important facts:

1. The fact that TNA gave so many of these guys the opportunity to work when WCW officially went out of business by being the only other truly "televised" wrestling program in the US at the time. They were on a weekly PPV circuit, but they were still televised and still gave the opportunity to a number of stars including Jeff Hardy, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Curt Hennig, etc. to resume or resurrect their careers. That in turn, when you combine it with the fact that they also gave early exposure and focus to a core nucleus of young stars built long-term loyalty, which could speak to why so many have not only re-signed with TNA, but often re-signed long-term, despite many being rumored to have been offered deals with WWE.

2. Vince McMahon does not work for TNA. It's widely known how demanding he is, and how much politicking plays a major role in WWE's locker room. If you aren't in with him or any of his boys (or their boys), you're in for an awfully rough ride. I think a lot of the guys in TNA are probably pretty weary of the idea of making that jump, especially having seen the total lack of success of so many former stars who tried before them (Chris Harris, Low-Ki, etc.).

Because TNA has someone to financially back them up (Panda Energy). Plus, no matter what, a lot of TNA wrestlers (original ones) have a shitload of loyalty for TNA. The only TNA wrestlers that go to WWE are the ones that used to be in WWE.

For what their social security checks? I can see MAYBE Beer Money making WWE and Morgan but the rest are all mid-card castoffs, old timers who just can't let go, or never have beens. I USED to be a HUGE TNA fan but once Hogan and Bischoff got there, it was ruined.

WWE has at times taken, TNA talent. Kaz went to the WWE was never used and came back to TNA begging for a job. I would say TNA did more to develope Gail Kim and we have seen how that played out. However, there have been people who tasted main event success in TNA, and parlayed that into being bigger in the WWE. Christian was a pernial midcarder his first WWE run. He goes and wins the NWA titile a few times, becomes better on the mic, comes back to the WWE and is a 2 time world champion, 4 time if you count his to ecw title runs, additionally before his injury he was one of teh top heels in the company. R-Truth was a multitime champion in TNA both tag and world. The hole truth persona was developed in TNA. Nobody remembers k-kwick now in the WWE. Instead of being a pernial jobber, he has mainevented PPV's. Finally their is Kong. Before she got herself knocked up she was being set up for something big in the divas division, and we all know she got her break in TNA.

Because TNA has someone to financially back them up (Panda Energy). Plus, no matter what, a lot of TNA wrestlers (original ones) have a shitload of loyalty for TNA. The only TNA wrestlers that go to WWE are the ones that used to be in WWE.

False. Chris Harris, Monty Brown, Awesome Kong and others spent the majority of their careers in TNA, Japan or the independents before ever stepping foot in a WWE ring.

I do agree, however, that a lot of TNA's wrestlers have a strong sense of loyalty to the company. That's been proven repeatedly by guys like Joe, Morgan and others who had legitimate WWE offers but turned them down to remain with TNA. Technically speaking, Sting even qualifies there too.

WWE doesn't need to raid TNA. That's why they won't do it. They already have a ton of misused or unused talent plus they also have the guys/gals in their developmental territory. So why bring in more people to the main roster who are, for a lackof better words, just going to be a waste of time and space?

Would it be nice to have someone like AJ Styles come to WWE? Sure, but I'd rather he stay in TNA where I know he's going to be used to the best of his abilities. I think that's another reason why a lot of people, like Sting for example, wouldn't want to go the WWE, because it's uncertain how they're going to be used. They could either be comedy jobbers or the next big thing. I'm sure the bigger paycheck is always nice for them, but at least with TNA, they know where they stand.

I watch TNA on occassion still, and I honestly can't think of anyone who would really be worth bringing over that they'd be able to put into any type of TV program people would care about - except for Sting and the guys they already had at one point and are popular because of WWE in the first place.

And I'm not talking about whether these guys can wrestle, I'm talking about whether they'll be good character and have half-decent mic skills.

Maybe I don't watch enough and I'm missing someone, but I could care less about Samoa Joe or AJ Styles. AJ Styles would probably make a small run up to the IC title or something but that would be it.

It'd be a waste.

They have more than enough talent in the WWE right now, they're problem is HORRIBLE writers and HORRIBLE interference constantly from VKM. If he would back off and the writers would let some stories actually play out, or plan them out better in advance, there's a ridiculous amount of better talent on WWE's roster right now anyway.

I thought about mentioning Killings but the truth is he had already been surpassed by the new crop of talent in TNA by the time he left. TNA didn't miss him at all at the time he left, even if he probably had some importance to the company at times prior to that.

For what their social security checks? I can see MAYBE Beer Money making WWE and Morgan but the rest are all mid-card castoffs, old timers who just can't let go, or never have beens. I USED to be a HUGE TNA fan but once Hogan and Bischoff got there, it was ruined.

Remember when CM Punk, Danielson etc. were never have beens? The whole point is why doesn't WWE take any "never have beens" from TNA to develop? TNA has been solid at holding on to their core and you'd have to be as moronic as you appear to be not to see that.

WWE doesn't need to raid TNA. That's why they won't do it. They already have a ton of misused or unused talent plus they also have the guys/gals in their developmental territory. So why bring in more people to the main roster who are, for a lackof better words, just going to be a waste of time and space?

I don't follow WWE closely but it seems pretty evident to me that they have a real issue with the depth of their talent pool at the moment. The midcard seems to be trash.

Would it be nice to have someone like AJ Styles come to WWE? Sure, but I'd rather he stay in TNA where I know he's going to be used to the best of his abilities. I think that's another reason why a lot of people, like Sting for example, wouldn't want to go the WWE, because it's uncertain how they're going to be used. They could either be comedy jobbers or the next big thing. I'm sure the bigger paycheck is always nice for them, but at least with TNA, they know where they stand.

I'd be willing to bet TNA is willing to pay AJ more than WWE would. Also, I don't see how AJ would be a waste of space in WWE when I look at how they have used someone like Danielson.

1. A lot of TNA guys are currently in their prime or past it, making it a tough position for WWE to take them. If they're past their prime, what's the point other than a nostalgia act, and if they're currently in their prime, by the time they'd bring them over, teach them their way of doing things, and then bring them up to the roster, they're dealing with dwindling time. You don't sign someone like Bobby Roode over from TNA and have him as a main eventer in WWE within a year, usually.

2. While TNA has some great talent, a lot of them just don't fit the WWE mold in one or more ways. Rule all those guys out.

3. TNA isn't a threat, so it isn't like they need to take their big names away from them to hurt them.

4. ROH guys most likely come much cheaper.

5. WWE seems to be more into discovering people on their own rather than taking from another company in the first place.

6. Seems like WWE was/is interested in some guys that want to stay in TNA either because of loyalty or the schedule or big fish/small pond or something else that WWE doesn't offer, as WWE's benefits are money and fame in exchange for hectic travel, more competition for a spot, etc.

I thought about mentioning Killings but the truth is he had already been surpassed by the new crop of talent in TNA by the time he left. TNA didn't miss him at all at the time he left, even if he probably had some importance to the company at times prior to that.

Remember when CM Punk, Danielson etc. were never have beens? The whole point is why doesn't WWE take any "never have beens" from TNA to develop?

I don't follow WWE closely but it seems pretty evident to me that they have a real issue with the depth of their talent pool at the moment. The midcard seems to be trash.

I'd be willing to bet TNA is willing to pay AJ more than WWE would. Also, I don't see how AJ would be a waste of space in WWE when I look at how they have used someone like Danielson.

Yes but HOW MANY YEARS ago was that??? Now since Hogan and Bischoff we have crap in TNA!

Look at how many wrestlers are on their roster and then add the wrestlers who are already in FCW. They really don't need more wrestlers, what they need to do is better build up their guys and take some risks. But that's another discussion for another time. Simply put though, they do have enough depth in their talent pool, they just aren't using some people correctly. So why bring in more people who might not be used correctly either?

I like how you tried to make it look like I said AJ would be a waste of space when I clearly said I would actually like it if he was in the WWE but wouldn't be sure how he'd be used.

Anyways, I'd be willing to bet that if TNA payed AJ more on his contract, he'd still make a ton more money in the WWE. Those pay per view bonuses and royalties he would receive from merchandise sure are nice. Point blank, even if they offered him a lot more money, TNA still doesn't offer everything WWE does. He'd be exposed to a much bigger national and international audience and would be much more well known.

Lastly, like I said in my other post, it's uncertain what would happen if he or any other wrestler went to WWE. Bryan Danielson has been lucky thus far, but that's not the case with every guy. A lot more of them turn out to be jokes or jobbers than they do World Heavyweight Champions. With TNA he knows where he stands after being there since the beginning, but with the WWE he has no idea where they would put him.

I think some guys prefer TNA because of the less restrictive contracts. You can have a contract with TNA and still take indy bookings in most cases. Thats good for a lot of guys who aren't being used atm

IMO the number 1 reason WWE doesn't raid TNA for talent is TNAs stars aren't big enuff stars elsewhere. Back in the past when WWE raided WCW talent becuz the guys they picked up were estalished stars which made it easier for them to market. Due to the fact that WCW was an equally large company as the WWE ppl already knew who the WCW guys were where as whenever Vince buys TNA those guys are gnna have to be introduce to the WWE fans. Plus the WCW talent had the benifit of competing against Sting, Flair, Hogan, Savage, and Bert Hart in their primes where TNA guys get old retirement age Hogan and Flair to work with. I knw a lot of u will disagree but Bill Goldberg was clearly the biggest homegrown talent in WCW history and even he would have a hard time reaching that level in TNA with the lack of credible main event talent they have.

Vince simply wants his own guys. He always has, and he always will. Sure, he has taken a few here and there, but never a top TNA talent, and I doubt he ever will. I've said this before, and I will say it again, the one person on the TNA roster who I think would be a huge star in the WWE (other than Kurt Angle, obviously) is Bobby Roode. He has it all. The look, the size, the ring skills, and the mic skills. But now that TNA figured out that he could be a headliner instead of wasting him in a tag team, I doubt he'd want to work his way up the WWE food chain like he had to do in TNA.

In saying that, I think you guys are underestimating the appeal of the WWE if you think that most of these TNA guys wouldn't go work longer, harder hours if they got the opportunity to get called up to the big dance, rather than playing around in the minors like they are doing. For all the big names TNA has now, they are still small potatoes. Any wrestler coming up the ranks has one ultimate goal: wrestle for the WWE. If you think that isn't the case, you're fooling yourselves.

Do you think a Canadian Football player wouldn't jump if the NFL came calling? Don't be silly. But Vince is Vince, so the likelihood of him poaching any stars in TNA is pretty small. Sure, he'll take a Monty Brown and a Ron Killings, but he'd rather make his own superstars, rather than take some from somewhere else.

Look at how many wrestlers are on their roster and then add the wrestlers who are already in FCW. They really don't need more wrestlers, what they need to do is better build up their guys and take some risks. But that's another discussion for another time. Simply put though, they do have enough depth in their talent pool, they just aren't using some people correctly. So why bring in more people who might not be used correctly either?

I don't think it is too big of a stretch to say that the lack of built up guys presently relates to the quality of the guys they have/had to try and build. Sure there is more to it than that but it seems to be an obvious factor. Since WWE is still signing talent from other places to develop, the idea that they don't need anyone doesn't seem to be accurate. If they need people now why would they pass on TNA talent for indy guys? People in TNA would have much more experience with a lot of important mainstream elements.

I like how you tried to make it look like I said AJ would be a waste of space when I clearly said I would actually like it if he was in the WWE but wouldn't be sure how he'd be used.

Anyways, I'd be willing to bet that if TNA payed AJ more on his contract, he'd still make a ton more money in the WWE. Those pay per view bonuses and royalties he would receive from merchandise sure are nice. Point blank, even if they offered him a lot more money, TNA still doesn't offer everything WWE does. He'd be exposed to a much bigger national and international audience and would be much more well known.

Lastly, like I said in my other post, it's uncertain what would happen if he or any other wrestler went to WWE. Bryan Danielson has been lucky thus far, but that's not the case with every guy. A lot more of them turn out to be jokes or jobbers than they do World Heavyweight Champions. With TNA he knows where he stands after being there since the beginning, but with the WWE he has no idea where they would put him.

My bad, I think I misunderstood the way you laid your last post out when it comes to who is a "waste of space." WWE certainly offers things TNA cannot but I think people tend to oversell their financial resources for non-stars. I could see the check being bigger in WWE but if you have to work twice as much is that really a raise? I don't think the "knowing where you stand" is that big of a factor. I believe it comes into consideration but if the money isn't close then more guys would have jumped.

IMO the number 1 reason WWE doesn't raid TNA for talent is TNAs stars aren't big enuff stars elsewhere. Back in the past when WWE raided WCW talent becuz the guys they picked up were estalished stars which made it easier for them to market. Due to the fact that WCW was an equally large company as the WWE ppl already knew who the WCW guys were where as whenever Vince buys TNA those guys are gnna have to be introduce to the WWE fans. Plus the WCW talent had the benifit of competing against Sting, Flair, Hogan, Savage, and Bert Hart in their primes where TNA guys get old retirement age Hogan and Flair to work with. I knw a lot of u will disagree but Bill Goldberg was clearly the biggest homegrown talent in WCW history and even he would have a hard time reaching that level in TNA with the lack of credible main event talent they have.

Both companies liked to take the ECW guys back in the day. That seems a better comparison. Those guys weren't stars but they did have developed characters, which made things easier.

For one thing, we really have no way if knowing for sure to what extent, if any, WWE has attempted to raid TNA. Whenever a talent such as Styles, Roode, Storm, or Joe (I guess) has a contract expiring, for all we know, WWE does actively pursue them, but is unable to land them.

I'm really at a loss to explain why more guys don't try and take a shot at the big times. There seems to be an inexplicable loyalty to TNA, which is a credit to their organization. I would have expected that some of those guys would like the reduced schedule, the lesser travel, and the anonymity provided by TNA, but I would have thought that at least some of them would want to try to prove to the world that they are deserving of the praise they get. After all, it's one thing to build your reputation with success in TNA, it's something altogether different to do it in WWE.

After all, I would rather contend for the Superbowl, rather than be content to play for the Grey Cup. And I'm surprised that someone, anyone in Orlando, doesn't feel the same way.

I'm not sure if anyone has said this yet, but I really feel that WWE doesn't raid or hasn't raided TNA for the simple that they really don't view them as real competition. I think that Vince and company feel if they go and raid TNA and take some of their top guys even if they misuse or bury them after getting them that in some way it would validate the existance of TNA. In some weird way that it would give TNA a small victory because they would be a blip on the radar of the WWE. I think that the are smarter than that because realistically they could have anyone they wanted. I know there is loyalty to TNA and there are a few guys who have invested a lot so a few might say no and not bother with jumping. Some might be perfectly fine wih the pay and work load they have. Some might say no out of just plain disagreement with the company and it's business practices, but you can't tell me that every single worker in that locker room doesn't consider WWE the Big Leagues. That it hasn't been a wish or desire to perform for the biggest wrestling...err sorry "Sports Entertainment" company in the world.

I think that WWE is perfectly fine with what they have, I'm sure they look at certain talents and say that they could work well there, but like numerous posters have said Vince likes to "make" his stars. He likes the feeling that he has created what they have become and essentially in that same thought he could break them as well. I think in the end that factor as well as by picking off talent would give TNA what they wanted essentially which is some sort of validity in the eyes of the Giant of the wrestling world and Vince doesn't view them as real competition or a viable threat at all.

For one thing, we really have no way if knowing for sure to what extent, if any, WWE has attempted to raid TNA. Whenever a talent such as Styles, Roode, Storm, or Joe (I guess) has a contract expiring, for all we know, WWE does actively pursue them, but is unable to land them.

I'm really at a loss to explain why more guys don't try and take a shot at the big times. There seems to be an inexplicable loyalty to TNA, which is a credit to their organization. I would have expected that some of those guys would like the reduced schedule, the lesser travel, and the anonymity provided by TNA, but I would have thought that at least some of them would want to try to prove to the world that they are deserving of the praise they get. After all, it's one thing to build your reputation with success in TNA, it's something altogether different to do it in WWE.

After all, I would rather contend for the Superbowl, rather than be content to play for the Grey Cup. And I'm surprised that someone, anyone in Orlando, doesn't feel the same way.

It's not that simple.

It's not just an opportunity to play in the Super Bowl. It's an opportunity to play in the Super Bowl provided you get along with the politics surrounding the entire lead up to that game. You have to survive the rigors of the season, which means you have to play by Vince's much, much stricter rules and adhere to his much more demanding schedule. By that alone you should understand why a number of guys don't want to give it a chance.

Fame is relative. Not everyone wants to be recognized everywhere they walk. WWE does that to you. TNA does not.

There are plenty of athletes across sports who feel that way, too. Rick Nash is a prime example. There's a reason he re-signed in Columbus, Ohio instead of accepting a trade to Toronto where he'd have a camera in his face at every turn of his life.

Taking someone "made in TNA" to WWE just means they gain a midcard jobber to ruin the career of.

Vince is too proud to make a star from someone from his competition, because it inadvertently promotes them.

Very few WCW stars were big with WWF until Vince bought WCW, then you had a huge blossom of stars. WCW was also 5-6x as big as TNA is financial and viwership wise, having someone jump from WCW to WWF was a ratings boost, where as a TNA to WWE jump today isn't going to create much buzz among normal fans.

TNA isn't profitable enough to compete with WWE in a cash grab, so the superstars that WWE would want, aren't worth going for to them, to quote DiBiase Sr. "Everyone has a price" Someone like Sting's price is too high to consider, because he despises Vince and co. with a passion, but someone like Beer money? I bet they'd jump for a nice pay raise, maybe not now that they're actually being successful though.

I'm not sure if anyone has said this yet, but I really feel that WWE doesn't raid or hasn't raided TNA for the simple that they really don't view them as real competition. I think that Vince and company feel if they go and raid TNA and take some of their top guys even if they misuse or bury them after getting them that in some way it would validate the existance of TNA. In some weird way that it would give TNA a small victory because they would be a blip on the radar of the WWE. I think that the are smarter than that because realistically they could have anyone they wanted.

I have never understood the supposed "not competition" argument. For starters TNA is clearly competition to WWE. To what degree is certainly up for debate but it is obviously competition. It was no big secret that WWE did actually try and get Sting last year but he turned them down and went back with TNA. If that doesn't show the existence of competition then I do not know what does. Furthermore, I think people that speak about it not being competition contradict themselves constantly. Like here you say TNA isn't competition but then suggest WWE should be worried about making them a tiny blip on the radar. If TNA is truly inconsequential to what WWE does then such a thing should not matter. WWE does seem interested in getting people to believe TNA isn't competition but that doesn't make it true. In fact, I'd argue it means the opposite.

I know there is loyalty to TNA and there are a few guys who have invested a lot so a few might say no and not bother with jumping. Some might be perfectly fine wih the pay and work load they have. Some might say no out of just plain disagreement with the company and it's business practices, but you can't tell me that every single worker in that locker room doesn't consider WWE the Big Leagues. That it hasn't been a wish or desire to perform for the biggest wrestling...err sorry "Sports Entertainment" company in the world.

It wouldn't shock me if there were people in TNA that preferred the payoff if they could be a part of what built a company up further to eventually stand on a similar stage to the WWE. I also don't buy into the idea that you definitely get paid more as a WWE midcard or lower performer than you would as a TNA guy upper mid card or higher. WWE probably has the resources to outbid TNA for anyone they would want but that doesn't mean they have the desire to. TNA could easily value some of these guys more than WWE does. At the end of the day it isn't about what a company has as much as what they are willing to offer. That is what makes it all the more interesting to me when guys routinely re-sign with TNA after apparently weighing their options.

I think that WWE is perfectly fine with what they have, I'm sure they look at certain talents and say that they could work well there, but like numerous posters have said Vince likes to "make" his stars. He likes the feeling that he has created what they have become and essentially in that same thought he could break them as well. I think in the end that factor as well as by picking off talent would give TNA what they wanted essentially which is some sort of validity in the eyes of the Giant of the wrestling world and Vince doesn't view them as real competition or a viable threat at all.

I ask again, if WWE is perfectly fine with what they have then why do they continue to sign other wrestlers? I think Vince likes to make money and it just happens that is easier when it is his own stars but he hardly only does that. Austin and Foley weren't his guys. Punk and Danielson aren't exactly his guys.

When you look at it, the WWE has never been too keen on hiring or pushing a guy that was made into a main event star in another national company. Goldberg is probably the only guy that really got a big push in the WWE after being built into a top star in a different national company, and that was mostly due to the Rock's influence, as I recall. Most other guys who came up through WCW but made it big in WWE never really were a big deal in WCW (Jericho, Guerrero, Benoit, etc.) You could argue for Big Show as an exception, maybe. But generally speaking the WWE isn't too big on taking a guy from a national promotion who has already been to the top of that promotion and making them a star in the WWE. I don't know why this is, exactly - you could blame it on Vince's pride, I guess, but I feel as though he's too savvy to casually ignore everyone who main evented another national promotion for the sake of pride. Perhaps he's learned a lesson from Goldberg, which was pretty much the only time he tried to do it on a big scale. It could just be he doesn't like that business model, maybe he wants his guys loyal to the WWE system, maybe he wants them to come up through his ranks. I don't know, but it's fairly apparent that the WWE isn't terribly interested. So, that end, the core of TNA's talent, Joe, Daniels, AJ, so on, most of those guys fit the mold of dudes that the WWE, historically, isn't really interested in.

As for whether they should be...I could see Joe doing very well in the WWE, and if I'm not mistaken the WWE has been linked to him in the past by some fairly credible reports. I wouldn't be surprised. AJ isn't a guy I can see making it big time in the WWE. I don't think he really has the build or charisma for it, and the WWE isn't keen on southerners either. He could make it in the midcard, sure, but when the WWE has an expansive developmental system to stack their midcard with, why chase down a guy like AJ? Joe, conversely, could be a guy to make it to the main event. For other guys, I know for a fact that the WWE was interested in Beer Money as a tag team, and obviously Matt Morgan was on the roster once. They would all fit in well.

I think the WWE also has to be cautious about the ramifications of signing and pushing TNA talent. Suppose they sign and push Samoa Joe. People are going to start searching his name, and they'll find out about TNA. You have to be cautious about that, because it could lead to an influx of viewership for TNA, which the WWE, as a business, doesn't want to happen.

So, why not raid TNA? I would look into signing select TNA talent cautiously, for a few reasons. For one, you have to be careful about whether they really give you more value than a talent from another source, which I don't know is true is many cases. You also need to be careful about the historical precedent of main event talent from other promotions in WWE, and their lack of success. Finally, you need to be careful about potential backlash and an increase in viewership for TNA. There are, to me, only a handful of TNA talents I could really envision the WWE valuing enough to take the risk on, especially when they have an influx of talent from a large number of alternative sources that present less risk and cost overall.

I don't think it is too big of a stretch to say that the lack of built up guys presently relates to the quality of the guys they have/had to try and build. Sure there is more to it than that but it seems to be an obvious factor. Since WWE is still signing talent from other places to develop, the idea that they don't need anyone doesn't seem to be accurate. If they need people now why would they pass on TNA talent for indy guys? People in TNA would have much more experience with a lot of important mainstream elements.

The thing is though, WWE is usually replacing spots or adding in a very few guys than to what they already have. What I mean by replacing is spots is simply that when they have those periods like "spring cleaning," when they release a bunch of people, they usually hire guys throughtout the year that would fill in those spots left empty by the released wrestlers. I'm not quite sure if what I'm saying makes 100% sense, but hopefully you get what I'm saying.

Also, my best bet is that they probably go after indy guys over TNA talent at times just so they could claim they built them up from nothing since they probably aren't that well known with the mainstream fans. I may or may not be wrong, but even if they don't see TNA as competition they know that a lot of their guys are well known to some audiences.

My bad, I think I misunderstood the way you laid your last post out when it comes to who is a "waste of space." WWE certainly offers things TNA cannot but I think people tend to oversell their financial resources for non-stars. I could see the check being bigger in WWE but if you have to work twice as much is that really a raise? I don't think the "knowing where you stand" is that big of a factor. I believe it comes into consideration but if the money isn't close then more guys would have jumped.

What else would you expect though? Are you expecting to go from TNA to WWE and work just as hard for much more money? I'm sure there are a few wrestlers here and there that have that mentality. But when it comes to the wrestling industry, it just doesn't work that way. So yes, it's a raise but you also have to put forth an effort to earn that money which includes working harder. That's just how the wrestling industry works sometimes.

As far as knowing your place, I think it definitely is a big factor. A lot of guys would probably prefer staying in TNA if they know they're going to still be making pretty good money and are going to be main event level talent than going to WWE and being jobbers. At least with TNA, it still offers a lot of exposure so it's not like they have to decide between being jobbers with more money over working for a company no one knows and doesn't pay enough to cover all of the bills.

There are any number of answers to that question, most of which I think have already been covered, and there's probably some validity in all of them.

There are a handful of guys on the TNA roster that WWE, allegedly, has been interested in or at least taking a look at over the past couple of years. We all know who they are, we've read the same reports, so there's no need to just go into them all. Based on thes tuff that I've read, the talents that have been looked at or approached are either happy where they are, interest on WWE's part has fizzled or there's just not been that much interest on either side.

At the same time, I also have to agree with the point of view of those who ask why WWE even should try to raid TNA? They've got plenty of talent on their roster as it is, they've got their own developmental territory and they generally seem to be more interested in bringing guys in from the indy circuit. As others have mentioned, there are several former ROH talents that've been brought in.

At the same time, I do think some people try to use the "he won't be used right" argument a little too much. It's becoming something of a crutch as there's always going to be someone that's not "used right". The internet is practically crawling with wrestlers that constantly complain how they were constantly misused or should've been pushed to a higher spot on the roster, etc. I do think that it's true in some cases, but not in the majority of them. Otherwise, damn near everybody would've been a main eventer at some point. It simply can't be used to justify every guy that's not "used right".

I think it's sort of the same situation with the "politics" argument. Again, not everybody that's got friends in high places can be, will be or is going to be pushed to a significant spot within the company. Guys like Punk & Bryan don't strike me as politicians and they've done well for themselves. It doesn't automatically mean that guys like Styles or Storm or Roode would do as well. At the same time, just because it's WWE doesn't mean that it's going to be some nightmare either. There are always going to be guys that will be used to elevate others. That's how it is in TNA, WWE, ROH and every other wrestling company out there. In some cases, as with the "not being used right" argument, I think it's an excuse that some wrestlers use that just aren't able to cut it or by fans as a means of justifying to themselves why their favorite wrestler or wrestlers aren't where they think they should be. It's just that WWE is such a convenient target for such arguments as they're the biggest company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back