Why Do you PAY for XBOX live over the FREE PSN?

xbox has cross game chat, i guess thats important to alot of people, not me though, you cant really get immersed into a single player story with somone talking in your ear,

I think Xbox is moving ahead when it comes to console specific games

lol have you seen the xbox 360 exclusive list this year? :lmao:

ps3 have way more exclusives

[Heel] Green Ranger;3668122 said:
I have both systems and I use them for two very different things. Any game that comes out for both system, that I want to play because of the single player experience, I'll get for the PS3. The graphics are slightly better, and depending on the genre of game it feels smoother.

Eh, what? It's been known for quite a long time now that non-exclusive games on the Xbox 360 play better than on the PS3. And, while things have stabled out compared to a few years ago, it still happens more often than not.

Not a huge difference, but I mainly have the PS3 for the exclusives like Metal Gear, LBP2, and the pretty solid downloadable market.

Solid downloadable market? Xbox live shits all over PSN when it comes to that. The Arcade games are of much better quality, much more exclusive and they tend to be cheaper. And, don't even get me started on Xbox Live Indie games.

I'm getting a VITA when they come out

:lmao: good luck with that.

and that on its own is going to make the PS3 worth having.

And, how exactly?

Now, I play ALL my online multiplayer games on the 360. Simple fact: XBox cares more about it's online community, and makes it easier to connect with friends, start parties, and play games. The servers are handled much better (typical MW3 match wait for 360 is 2 minutes, counting the 45 second mandatory wait between matches. PS3 is about twice that much. Not a big deal, but noticeable when you're playing all day). Sony has never shown a lot of concern for online gaming, and I genuinely dislike shooters on their console. Since the majority of my online games are shooters (Halo Reach, MW3, etc.) the 360 is where I spend most of my time. I'm the kind of gamer that likes to connect with friends, see all of my online friends, and interact with them. To be playing Halo, see a friend pop online, and add him to our game without hassle.

This, right here is why I pay for Xbox Live whilst my PS3 is collecting dust. The online experience is much more... social. I've made loads of friends on xbox live, and, Slyfox, Xbox Live bans people more than you'd like to think. They are rather effective in that area. The 360 online experience is seamless where as PSN sometimes feels like a chore. Now, don't get me wrong, the PS3 has its advantages but, the Xbox is much more accommodated to what I want to do on a console. I don't buy Blu-rays. They are too expensive and the quality shown buy playing a DVD through the Xbox 360 is good enough.

list this year? :lmao:

ps3 have way more exclusives

Quantity over quality, huh? The simple fact that Halo 4 is coming out this year makes all other PS3 title irrelevant. Still, though, it's not even like PS3 is looking at a a good year, anyway.

Hmmmm, lots of reasons, and a fair amount of flaming flying back and forth here. My own tuppence-worth? I personally bought an Xbox 360 purely because I prefer the controllers. Something about the fact that Sony haven't done anything to improve their controller design in the last 13 years irks me. I've thought about getting a PS3 a few times, but so far I've only found two PS3 exclusives that I really want to play, and I've already done Heavy Rain when I borrowed my friend's console for a weekend.

I didn't bother with Xbox Live Gold when I first got my console, but now I don't mind at all paying for it, hell, my current subscription was only £25 for a full year and 400 free Microsoft Points, bought on one of Microsoft's one day deals, but even still from sites like gamesbite you can usually find a 12 or 13 month subscription for less than 35 quid, which really isn't an unreasonable fee given the quality of the service, as well as the additional extras included with more recent updates, like the facebook, twitter, youtube and netflix integration. Oooh, and last.fm!

Sure the PSN also has plenty of features, too, but I don't find the interface to be particularly intuitive. As for gaming online, I've yet to try that on any major releases over PSN, so I couldn't really comment. Although it seemed straight-forward enough with the Turbo Powered Robo Acrobatic Battle Cars [or whatever it's called].

On a side note, this whole misunderstanding of the proper uses HD and Blu-ray is fucking hilarious.

The Xbox vs PS3 console battles have made its way to the WZ forums? First off, I just want to say I am avid gamer who owned a PS3, Wii, and the Xbox. Not to mention, upgrading a computer rig to handle games like Team Fortress 2, and The Old Republic. The reason why I dropped the PS3 and the Wii for the Xbox 360 is for plenty number of reasons. Despite being a fan of PS3 exclusives like Little Big Planet, and Metal Gear Solid, XBox offered more exclusives that I favored like the Halo series, Gears of War, Saints Row, and Prey. But beside the exclusives, cross platform games just worked better on the XBox than on the PS3. Currently Battlefield on the PS3 is unplayable due to a crazy amount of Input lag, total console freezes and a buggy VOIP that has been around since Bad Company 1 for the PS3. In fact, my buddies and I resorted to using Skype in order to talk to one another during Rush. It was the very reason why I sold my PS3 to afford the $50-60 a year for Xbox Live.

Christian "Minimum Wage" Cage;3680554 said:
Eh, what? It's been known for quite a long time now that non-exclusive games on the Xbox 360 play better than on the PS3. And, while things have stabled out compared to a few years ago, it still happens more often than not.

With what games can i ask? The only one i can actually think of is Skyrim with the lag issues.

Quantity over quality, huh? The simple fact that Halo 4 is coming out this year makes all other PS3 title irrelevant. Still, though, it's not even like PS3 is looking at a a good year, anyway.

C'mon Rohan I like you! You're kidding right? One FPS sequel does not make all exclusives on the PS3 irrelevant. There are at least 2 PS3 exclusives coming out that renders Halo 4 irrelevant.

The Last Guardian: The Last Guardian comes from Team Ico, the folks that brought us the brilliant Ico and the memorable Shadow of the Colossus. By just looking at the clip below you'll understand why you need to be excited about this title. I'm a believer that games are art. That doesn't mean a game without a deeper meaning or clever exploration of some issue isn't worthwhile, I fucking love serious sam and the like. But that the pinnacle of gaming like any other media is both exciting and compelling but also makes us think about something, and properly. It's no secret that the people of Team Ico know how to tell a story(And a damn good one at that) & it just proves a point of my belief that games can be art. Will it appeal to a big mainstream audience of guys who want just a gun game like Halo? Sadly not but that doesn't make it irrelevant.

The Last of Us: Expected for a relase in late 2012 but it's by no means a certainty for 2012 release but The Last of Us is a game that I'm very excited about. This exclusive is being created by arguably the most talented gaming studio in the world and is set in one of my favorite settings for any a game - Post-Apocalyptic future. Unlike most post apocalyptic games like Fallout, this game doesn't seem to stick to one overlapping colour scheme(In Fallout 3 most areas had the same overlapping colour scheme with places like the wasteland all brown & dull). Has it given us many details? No but the exciting and frightening trailer certainly helped.

So Last of Us may not be an exclusive but what about these?
Twisted Metal: Just crazy, violent fun. Huge 16-player online battles, urban environments that can be destroyed by explosions, realistic weaponry and combat, and vehicles that you can customize. There's also helicopters! Helicopters!
Jak & Dexter trilogy: One of the last best platforming game series getting a re-release in beautiful HD. Great story, ever changing gameplay, damn fun characters, diverse missions. What is there to hate?

These along with rumors of a new God of War and Syphon Filter game, the new Rockstar game Agent(Where's Xbox's Rockstar exclusive?) plus the new StarHawk & Sly Cooper makes PS3 and all their exclusives everything but irrelevant to the Xbox.

Saints Row.
Wow, you can't play the first Saints row. but when you buy the third one you get the second free. Saints row is hardly an exclusive anymore.

I have had both consoles. But I prefer the ps3, Owning La Noire and not having to swap the discs is alot better now then when I had it on the 360. I only brought Xbox live because I brought SVR11.

I don't play online that much, that's the main reason I prefer sony's I guess. why pay that much money for something I might do once a week or not at all for months at a time.

While playing online, I haven't noticed any difference at all I don't understand why people say there is.

not to mention the Playstation store is easier to use.

This was the whole reason i didn't end up buying an xbox 360, i didnt want to pay the money for something that most of the games these days make necessary - those bastard developers - and even then, all of the games i play online with my playstation have the exact same quality as when i'm at a friend's who has an xbox, no lag issues, same amount of 12 year olds, same shit.

The only benefit from getting live over psn is the party system, which is very minor seeing as i haven't (yet) killed myself over not being able to talk to my friend who just happens to be in a different game than me.
i'm not going to complain because someone got 4 more chips in his happy meal, while i got a free sundae. - comparisons fucking rule by the way

With what games can i ask? The only one i can actually think of is Skyrim with the lag issues.

The whole Call of Duty series, L.A. Noire (even though it was developed exclusively for the PS3, initially), Crysis 2, Arkham City and many more less popular games. It's been known for ages that the Xbox is much easier to develop for.

C'mon Rohan I like you! You're kidding right? One FPS sequel does not make all exclusives on the PS3 irrelevant. There are at least 2 PS3 exclusives coming out that renders Halo 4 irrelevant.

The Last Guardian: The Last Guardian comes from Team Ico, the folks that brought us the brilliant Ico and the memorable Shadow of the Colossus. By just looking at the clip below you'll understand why you need to be excited about this title. I'm a believer that games are art. That doesn't mean a game without a deeper meaning or clever exploration of some issue isn't worthwhile, I fucking love serious sam and the like. But that the pinnacle of gaming like any other media is both exciting and compelling but also makes us think about something, and properly. It's no secret that the people of Team Ico know how to tell a story(And a damn good one at that) & it just proves a point of my belief that games can be art. Will it appeal to a big mainstream audience of guys who want just a gun game like Halo? Sadly not but that doesn't make it irrelevant.

The Last of Us: Expected for a relase in late 2012 but it's by no means a certainty for 2012 release but The Last of Us is a game that I'm very excited about. This exclusive is being created by arguably the most talented gaming studio in the world and is set in one of my favorite settings for any a game - Post-Apocalyptic future. Unlike most post apocalyptic games like Fallout, this game doesn't seem to stick to one overlapping colour scheme(In Fallout 3 most areas had the same overlapping colour scheme with places like the wasteland all brown & dull). Has it given us many details? No but the exciting and frightening trailer certainly helped.

These games will be absolutely awesome. I'm sure of it. Hell, I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick up The Last Guardian and probably the Last of Us when it comes out, although rumours lead me to believe it will be developed for the 360, too. But, do you seriously think any of the two will shift as many consoles and units as Halo 4? When I meant irrelevant, I meant irrelevant to the industry (I probably should of clarified that). Halo 4 is the biggest release this year, and it's an xbox exclusive. 'Nuff said.

So Last of Us may not be an exclusive but what about these?
Twisted Metal: Just crazy, violent fun. Huge 16-player online battles, urban environments that can be destroyed by explosions, realistic weaponry and combat, and vehicles that you can customize. There's also helicopters! Helicopters!
Jak & Dexter trilogy: One of the last best platforming game series getting a re-release in beautiful HD. Great story, ever changing gameplay, damn fun characters, diverse missions. What is there to hate?

These along with rumors of a new God of War and Syphon Filter game, the new Rockstar game Agent(Where's Xbox's Rockstar exclusive?) plus the new StarHawk & Sly Cooper makes PS3 and all their exclusives everything but irrelevant to the Xbox.

Cool story, bro.

The Xbox has its fair share of exclusives too.
Ryse, a game set in the ancient roman times optimized for the kinect. Looks awesome and the best Kinect game, yet.
Fable: The Journey, another game that will end up shifting more units than The Last Guardian. Also, it looks quite nifty.
Alan Wake 2, yeah, it might be ''DLC'' but, it's basically a whole new game. Alan Wake 1 was incredibly moving and scary. Better than Resident Evil 5 when it comes to that department.

Oh, and not to mention all the timed exclusive DLC from games like Skyrim and COD. Sure, it may not seem like much to you and me, but the hardcore gamers live by that shit. Oh yeah, and Star Wars: Kinect. But, I'm reserving playing that card until I see any good footage.

Anyway, look. I'm no Xbox fanboy. The PS3 has its advantages, but they are just outweighed by the Xbox 360 for me. That's what it boils down to. I love both consoles and they're both fine pieces of machinery but, I just find myself using the Xbox 360 more and that's why. Jeez-o.

I was on Xbox 360 before the Wii or PS3 and asked the same question of why would I pay more for PS3? Well, after I actually bought a PS3 and haven't had any glitches or problems I have been more then happy. As far as the PSN hackers, I thank them for allowing me to download two free games. There is no cost for internet service. A lot of downloadable content like avatars, games, and videos are free. Not to mention streaming video like Hulu, Netflix, and Crackle. I never had to worry about any games freezing up or any red rings like Xbox. My experience playing online has been smoother then XBL because the ping time on XBL was unbearable. PS3 are inexpensive now though as low as $275 for a brand new 320 gb with a video game.

Everyone has their own personal preferences, but I don't understand why someone would pay for something when you can get the same service for free with more options.

I must be the only person that doesn't understand this argument. I own a PS3, not because I think it's better than a 360, or it comes in a shinier box, or it's faster, or because it plays Blu-Rays (although that is a very useful bonus - means, apart from anything else, my copy of Elimination Chamber 2011 includes the Raw upon which The Rock returned) - I own one because I got one as a birthday present from my Dad 3 and a half years back to replace my PS2. But it's this I don't understand:

People talking about the differences between the "online communities" and the "experiences" when playing both consoles. To put this in the simplest way possible: I am a big fan of Modern Warfare 3 currently. For example, I spent a couple of hours today wandering round various maps, shooting at and being shot at by people around the world. Last month, I was at a friend's place, playing MW3 online. I spent a couple of hours wandering round various maps, shooting at and being shot at by people around the world. The actual experience for which you buy any games console, the reason you pick up the controller first, is TO PLAY THE GAME. And as far as I can see, it doesn't make a blind bit of difference which console you're playing it on.

...But it's this I don't understand:

People talking about the differences between the "online communities" and the "experiences" when playing both consoles. To put this in the simplest way possible: I am a big fan of Modern Warfare 3 currently. For example, I spent a couple of hours today wandering round various maps, shooting at and being shot at by people around the world. Last month, I was at a friend's place, playing MW3 online. I spent a couple of hours wandering round various maps, shooting at and being shot at by people around the world. The actual experience for which you buy any games console, the reason you pick up the controller first, is TO PLAY THE GAME. And as far as I can see, it doesn't make a blind bit of difference which console you're playing it on.

I think, often times, this boils down to whichever system the majority of your gaming friends tend to play. Round my end, all my mates play Xbox 360, and as such, I get a richer experience from the online multiplayer simply through being able to play with my friends. I think this can really help sway opinion on one system or the other a lot more than any of the technical, shiny, or even factual stuff. So yeah, besides my earlier mention of control pad preference [although I will admit the PS3 D-Pad is far superior], the main reason I pay for Xbox Live is to play with my friends.

I got my Xbox 360 over five years ago specifically for Gears of War. The PS3 never interested me and whenever I play one, I find the controller to be extremely irritating. I tend to play a lot of racing games and the triggers feel like marshmallows. I honestly don't mind paying the £40 a year for the online membership, but these days if you look carefully, you can get it cheaper than that and get longer memberships. My latest membership cost me £32 and it gives me the 12 months plus two additional months, saw it on Play.com, it's probably still there now to buy.

I have all three current system consoles - I have the Wii for Zelda and Mario, that's about it.

Xbox live just seems to work better than PSN. Also when I bought my 360 waaay back at the start of this console generation I got it (with the biggest HDD available at the time) + a BRD player for less than the launch price of a PS3 here in the UK.

I don't dislike the PSN really, though I did get scammed out of several thousand pounds when it got hacked (I got the money back but free games means exactly dick all compared to the £4,000 that got spend on my credit card in 24 hours)

Also the cross-platform games (the last year or so I agree the gap has lessened but the PS3 is still not ahead) run much better (and often look a lot better) on the 360 than the PS3. Throw in the fact that most of my friends (that are online worth a damn) have a 360 and XBL the PSN seems a bit redundant. Also the fact that Sony took so long to come up with a unified service whilst XBL was unified from the start.

Someone brought up motion controls and in my experience after having a go with the PSMove and the Kinect. The Kinect works better, it allows more interesting and dynamic games as opposed to the PSMove - I accept I played the move very early in its release cycle so may have it wrong there.

PS3 does have the edge in exclusives though.

Yeah - the console war is a mess this generation. The PS3 has the technological edge by a mile but only the exclusives have really made use of it. XBL is a far superior online service. I dunno five years later and I'm still on the fence. I'm going to say that PCs are better!

This is the rule I generally stick to when it amounts to game buying.

If a game is developed in the US or Europe, I'll buy it for the 360. This includes all Rockstar and FPS releases, Mass Effect, Alan Wake, Bioshock.

If a game is developed in Japan, I'll buy it for the PS3. This includes all fighters, most RPGs, Resident Evil, Demon/Dark Souls, and such.

Naturally exclusives are purchased on the system they came out on, such as God of War and/or Fable.

If you follow this rule, you generally have everything separated perfectly with control schemes in mind. Fighting games will end up with the better controller and give you more online opposition since most online multiplayer is not region locked, while FPS games will give you better controls and more online opposition since most US players that buy things like MW3 will have the 360 version.

As far as XBL v PSN is concerned, it's a tie. XBL is fleshed out and accessible, while PSN is a lot more rigid in structure. Both however accomplish what they need to do.

I actually don't. I have better things to do with my money then spend ten bucks a month to play online. Online gaming should automatically free once you buy the game. Its just a way for Microsoft to get more money out of your pockets. Sure, the servers cost money to run, but they are truly making that up in X-Box and X-Box merchandising sales. I'll stick with my easy and free to use Playstation Network.

The only reason I didn't switch over to Playstation when the time came that everyone was is that I had already spent so much on XBOX I didn't want to bother with it. The same thing had happened to me when I got my original XBOX when everyone went and freaked out about other consoles I just stuck to what I had because I dont care about live that much, I enjoy it but I wont pay for it and sure as hell wont switch systems over it. The only reason I have it is my parents got it for me on my birthday, next year rolls around and I dont get it then I go back to not using it, it's fun but it aint worth the fuss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back