• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Why do you knock WWE's "Be A Star"?

d_henderson1810

Mid-Card Championship Winner
I notice a lot of negativity by posters about WWE's "Be A Star" campaign, and calling WWE hypocrites because they promote anti-bullying, while having characters who bully others.

But I thought that Stephanie McMahon made a good point about this on the Jericho podcast, when she was a guest. She said that she is "playing a character".

There are plenty of actors who play bullies, or bad people on TV and in movies, but do you call them hypocrites if they then speak out about the behaviour their character portrays on-screen? No, because you can seperate the character and the actor, and know that the character isn't a reflection of the actor who plays him.

Well, this is the same in WWE. Characters who play bullies in WWE aren't necessarily bullies in real life. They are playing their role. Believing that a wrestler who is a bully is like that in real life is like believing that Mark Callaway is truly a zombie with supernatural powers. You don't believe that Mark Callaway can actually shoot lightning from his hands, or really puts people in caskets or is enpowered by an urn, you suspend belief. Then why not do the same when it comes to WWE bullies, and see that playing a character doesn't preclude them from being anti-bullying in real life.

This is why I wouldn't find it hypocritical if John Cena went heel, yet still represented "Make-A-Wish". Because he is simply playing a villian. It doesn't suddenly mean that he starts thinking and acting like his new heel persona in real life. So, why can't Vince, Stephanie and Triple H act like bullies onscreen, and yet push "Be A Star" off it, without being called hypocrites.

I wonder of the motivations of people who criticize WWE for supporting such a good cause. Children are bullied all the time. What is wrong with speaking out against it, and giving confidence to bullied children? Anyone against it is probably a bully themselves, or a sociopath.

I think that most people have a problem with WWE's "Be A Star" campaign because there has been a history of bullying and hazing behind the scenes in WWE for a long time. Whether it's the incident with Hardcore Holly beating the ever loving crap out of Matt Capotelli on Tough Enough 3 to the rumors of wrestlers defecating in other people's luggage.

That's what I think that they have issue with.

Personally, I think that it's admirable that WWE is working to clean up their image, and you don't hear as much about that stuff anymore. After all, this is the company that, when Darren Young came out, gave him the gimmick of a hungry young athlete that just wants to get paid "millions of dollars", which happened to be his gimmick before he came out.

I have no problem with the Be A Star campaign or the Make A Wish things they do, and last nights recognition of Titus O'Neil's Father Of The Year Award, if it's not being put on their programming to gain the acceptance of main stream media. It's clear they want to prove that they are no longer a wrestling company, and not even a sports entertainment business. They are simply pimping the wrestling aspect to show that the are strictly an entertainment company that provides not only athletes, but actors and actress, models, tv production crew, movie company, social media following, marketing savvy and working with important media friendly organizations like Susan G Komen, Make A Wish and others to prove that their violent and tragic past is far behind them. I understand wanting to work with these entities, but they use it for marking their own campain of, "please accept us, we are family friendly and we are here to entertain"...so they can make better easy money instead of loyal hard earn money from a core of fans who grew up watching this sport, and being entertain by the wrestling, wrestlers and a great show.

I notice a lot of negativity by posters about WWE's "Be A Star" campaign, and calling WWE hypocrites because they promote anti-bullying, while having characters who bully others.

Are there people (besides small children) who believe pro wrestling is anything but actors playing a role? As the OP says, would anyone want to pose off-screen with Arnold Schwarzenegger if their only cinematic exposure to him were the "Terminator" movies? In wrestling, how is it Randy Orton, when portraying a total heel, can still pose with 6-year-old kids without them scaring them to death?

So, I suppose it can be seen one of two ways: On one hand, you can see wrestlers who portray bullies as the worst possible person to promote anti-bullying. On the other hand, who better to come out against bullying than a guy/gal who plays a bully on TV and wants to warn us against it?

Take your pick, but the fact a pro wrestling entertainment company is doing this at all is a positive step, imo.

It's been a long time since I've even seen the "Be A Star" campaign brought up in the forums or WWE mentioning it.

However, when it was going on, I also felt WWE got some unfair criticism, though that's pretty much par for the course in an era where political correctness being stretched to an absurd degree has become the norm. Here's the thing about ANY company in ANY business that's involved with charity: they all have their various little dark secrets that they want to keep hidden away from the public eye as much as possible. There's unfair stuff that happens behind the scenes in WWE all the time, some of it's no doubt steeped in hypocrisy, but, as I alluded to, it's like that with EVERY company; the companies of this world, in any aspect of business, don't operate in some magical where the sun always shines, everybody loves everyone else and we all hold hands singing Kumbaya. Hell, even charities themselves are corporations and some of the corporate choices they make probably wouldn't sit too well with some people who live their lives wearing blinders.

Professional wrestling is entertainment, always has been really. As a result, the personas we see on television each week, the feuds they're involved in, the fights they have, etc. are all as fictional as any traditional program on television; that means you've got to have "good guys" and "bad guys", and maybe a few characters who're walking the line in-between, and "bad guys" can't be "bad guys" without doing "bad things."

I've got no problem with the WWE's anti-bullying campaign or partnering with organizations like Susan G. Komen or Make A Wish, I've got no problem with them trying to send positive messages out into the real world outside of the fictional storylines. They generate positive buzz, these organizations get lots of attention and everyone makes money.

It is true that WWE took a lot of flak as 'hypocrites' when Be A Star was first promoted; I guess it is because it has always been the in thing to knock pro wrestling.

This never say well with me, as, long before the 'wrestling isn't wrestling' video on YouTube, I saw wrestling as a soap opera (that's what us Brits call a serial, in case anyone didn't know).

The two longest running (and usually highest rated) soaps in the UK are Coronation Street and EastEnders. Both of these will, from time to time, deal with sensitive, hard-hitting storylines. Some examples from the past include crack addiction and the AIDS virus (the latter when it was still pretty taboo), and, no matter how they are portrayed, whether in a vaguely positive or overtly negative light, the soap in question always ends the episode with a charity help-line number, "for those who have been affected by this"; as a general rule, they are always praised for highlighting a sensitive issue, and often the storylines win awards.

So if that is the case, why the constant wrestling-bashing? It's been a long time since WWE was portrayed as a 'legitimate' sport. At best it is extreme theatre. Surely the BAS initiative can only be a good thing? Yet they are called hypocrites. Quite frankly, THAT is hypocritical.

Good on WWE, I say, for pushing this anti-bullying programme; long may it continue.

They're not playing characters when they haze people backstage. They're known for ribbing co-workers and they want to promote this anti-bullying shit. They only do it for good publicity and recognition.

They're not playing characters when they haze people backstage. They're known for ribbing co-workers and they want to promote this anti-bullying shit. They only do it for good publicity and recognition.

"Ribbing" is essentially practical jokes, right? There's a world of difference between practical jokes and actual bullying.

Show me a workplace where jokes and laughs between employees doesn't go on, and I will show you a boring workplace bereft of morale.

Soaping a car sure, shaving cream in the face of course but the problem is that much like hazing has for sports the Haxzing in the WWE does not stop there

Things involving fecal matter, Bodily fluids, physical assualt and the such are not a practical joke nor even hazing

I mean if one of your co workers went into the fridge dropped a number 2 on your sandwich would you just go....oh you guys.....or would you want him fired
"Ribbing" is essentially practical jokes, right? There's a world of difference between practical jokes and actual bullying.

Show me a workplace where jokes and laughs between employees doesn't go on, and I will show you a boring workplace bereft of morale.

My issue is when the good guys are the ones doing the bullying. Unfortunately, anytime someone tells Sheamus that 'he looks stupid', they are technically supporting bullying- even if they're bullying another bully. The worst moment for me had to be when Ryback put down Curtis Axel, as it just made him look like an asshole who was trash talking his friend in order to look good to the crowd. I still can't really support Ryback as a face, just based on this one moment.

A lot of times it's just bad, inconsistent writing. But it does contradict the 'be a star' motif.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back