Why do I get the feeling John Cena is retiring some time in the next 5 years???

How long does Cena have left in WWE

• 4-5 Years

• 5-10 years

• 10-15 years

• 15-20 years

• Time will tell...because it will be by way of an injury (sadly)

Results are only viewable after voting.

That N Word

Actively evolving
I really hope this feeling is wrong but I have a feeling that Cena is retiring soon. I could be wrong. But this is the same feeling I had with HBK,Edge,Undertaker,Christian,Sting and Kurt Angle. And boom Christian,Edge,HBK are all retired. Sting,Undertaker,and Angle are both on their way out. I just have that bad feeling it is. People say he has a good 10- 15 years left. But I say they are extremely exaggerating his time. I don't want to see him go as much as the next guy but let's be real that is unrealistic. In 10 years he will be 48. So in 15 years he will be 53. I honestly predict the rest of his career will go down like this.

2015- Does somewhat of a part-time schedule to advance a storyline with him and Rusev that leads to a heel turn and Mania 32 match with Reigns.
(See Here http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?t=287153 )
2016- Finally turns heel; wins the world title again and goes part-time.

2017-
Continues as a dominant heel and wins his final world title until his final year in WWE. He faces Daniel Bryan at WrestleMania this year.

2018- Turns face again and faces Roman at Mania again and turns face post match to raise his hand up. Returns at Summerslam and stays from there on.

2019- Wins world title one more time and retires with title at Mania in one last match .

I could be wrong but that is how I see it going down. Basically this is what I want from you is to know... How long you think Cena will be around longer? and If you say 5 years how do you project it to go?

I'm curious where you could have POSSIBLY constructed this nonsense? I mean, what information do you have regarding this?

Cena will wrestle until a Dr. no longer clears him to be in the WWE ring actively. He's probably one of the most passionate individuals ever in the industry. Any sort of speculation on the amount of years that contains is just pure uninformed conjecture.

I'm curious where you could have POSSIBLY constructed this nonsense? I mean, what information do you have regarding this?

Cena will wrestle until a Dr. no longer clears him to be in the WWE ring actively. He's probably one of the most passionate individuals ever in the industry. Any sort of speculation on the amount of years that contains is just pure uninformed conjecture.

What the hell are you talking about. I said I had a feeling... I didn't say According to (insert dirtsheet here) said Cena is retiring soon. In 5 years Cena will be 43 so it isn't nonsense.

Cena must slowly be breaking down so I don't think him retiring in 5 years or so is wide of the mark. The again, WWE love part-time attractions and Cena can be wheeled out every year at WrestleMania for the next twenty years.

Cena must slowly be breaking down so I don't think him retiring in 5 years or so is wide of the mark. Then again, WWE love part-time attractions and Cena can be wheeled out every year at WrestleMania for the next twenty years.

Are we talking as a wrestler or as a Hogan type role. Because in 20 years Cena will be 58

I voted 10-15 years, and I believe it's founded. On Total Divas in 2013, Cena said he wanted to continue his current schedule for another 10 years. Given his unfailing ethic, I doubt that stance has changed, so he'll be working another 8 years full-time through 2023. He didn't say he would be retiring in 2023 though; I imagine he'll begin working part-time at that point. Another 10-15 years of action would take Cena to his late 40s/early 50s, which seems a reasonable age to call it a day for good.

I said 5-10 years, you figure at the age of 48 John will hang it up. I can see him going forever but his body will tell him when to call it quits. He will probably go full time for about 6-7 more years than slow down after that. I see him winning the Title about 3-4 more times and maybe even another Rumble. 2015 he will win the U.S. title at WM31 and go back and forth all year with that. Once he retires from in ring wrestling he will probably stay on in some way maybe General Manager, they could probably talk him into coming back once a year like Undertaker.

In recent years Cena been having injury scares where he been out for a month or 2, I don't want it to happen but I feel like he should take some time out before that happens.

Now with Brock not being on tv every ppv with the title I'm hating it, but if anybody deserves that privilege it's Cena and he may just earn everybody's respect back cause absence makes the heart grow fonder...

Cena works so hard but he done so much there is nothing else he needs earn, honestly deep down I want the Let's Go Cena/Cena Sucks chants to die.

Honestly, I think that you are right on Cena retiring soon, because I have the same feeling. But I think that he will probably pull a Dwayne Johnson and stop wrestling for a couple of years, to persue his acting career, and then become a part-timer (as he has already started doing it).

I do see Cena slowing it down shortly. Within the next 5 years wouldn't surprise me to be honest. Why else would there be the need to hot shot the younger guys into the spotlight? To the OP. Not every thread needs a poll. C'mon man

Out of the main (older) roster the only guys I see making it as active competitors by the time 2020 rolls around are HHH & John Cena. I wouldn't be shocked if HHH is done by then in terms of being a regular (or even a seasonal) appearance guy. He can make returns like HBK or VKM do.

John Cena I think will wrestle his final match at WM in 2020. The match should be the final passing of the torch match he ever does. He doesn't have to win the match and it can be a situation similar to HBK or Ric Flairs final matches where they lose but get a hell of a send off --- I'm sure Cena's send off will be a whole dedicated episode --- I think his final match could be against Kevin Steen.

John Cena is the biggest star WWE universe has seen in the 21st century. He has become household material for every WWEholic kid. But,his time is over. What he needs now is 2 more title runs and a heel turn in his remaining career. I am in the majority, I do see John Cena hanging his boots in coming 5 years. He comes out of injuries way too early which is his passion but not a good thing. He is staining many injuries inside him. I think his retirement will surely be due to an injury (sadly) because he is not hanging the boots for any reason other than his life.

I don't think Cena will retire in the next 5 years, he LIVES wrestling and unless he has a career-ending injury, he'll be around for a good while yet. He doesn't wrestle a dangerous style, which aids career longevity and he genuinely loves the business more than almost anyone, he's got the kind of drive and determination that means he'll push his body through any wear and tear he's suffering from and will be an active wrestler for a long time to come.

I wouldn't be surprised if he does start wrestling a more part-time schedule though, perhaps cutting out some house shows or not wrestling on every single episode of RAW. Everyone gets older, and Cena has been THE guy for about a decade now and worked his ass off for the company. WWE is trying to build a new generation of main eventer and thats the smart thing to do, as age will inevitably slow Cena down in the years to come. I fully expect to see him wrestling in 10 years though, as a part-time draw at a WrestleMania. He ain't goin' nowhere.

Cena will retire when he's ready too. If that's in the next 5 years then that's in the next 5 years. Personally considering how he views the WWE and his passion for the sport, I see him being around for another 10 years.

I do think though the only thing that will take him out earlier is some sort of life changing injury, something similar to what Edge suffered. But until something breaks, he'll be around. Maybe not in the main event, but his presence will still be felt somehow.

Honestly, I don't think the decision to retire will be completely left up to John Cena... rather, I see his body starting to break down in the coming years leading to his decision to retire as a full-time guy within the next 5-7 years.

John Cena's first serious injury in the WWE was a torn pectoral muscle where his expected return time was 7-8 months... he returned in 3. His second serious injury was not too long ago; a torn triceps that was expected to keep him out 5-6 months... he returned in 3. Throw in those rushed comebacks with Cena's obvious use of PED's and whatever the hell else, and I think it's a miracle that Cena has held up as well as he has throughout these years.

If you go and compare 2005 Cena to Cena today, you can already notice a remarkable slowing of his pace and a large decrease in his mobility. People will say, "well, it HAS been ten years" but that's exactly my point. In 5 years, I think Cena would have slowed down to the point where it would be tough for him to solidly deliver every night (circa Hulk Hogan) and I think (unlike Hogan) Cena will bow out gracefully.

Than again he may be around for the next 15 years, you never know with John Cena

It may just be acting, but the last few times I have seen him he sure seems to have a long face. It seems you can almost see the fatigue in his face.
I don't think the anticipated heel turn will happen. Not because of the possible merchandising losses, that can be fixed, but because of the WWE's lack of need for it.
Rightfully so, people assume he will change because Hogan did. And if there was ever merchandise machine, it was Hogan. The reason Hogan switched was because of the vicious ratings war of the mid to late 90's. He jumped on board the NWO wagon because the money train was leaving and Hogan was gonna be on it. The NWO was created with one goal, increasing ratings to defeat WWE. The bonus came when about a quarter of America bought NWO shirts.

But as to the main question, I do not see any reason why Cena doesn't continue another 5 years as a top draw and another 5-10 as a part timer or legend. They say he is the Hogan of this era, but his company first attitude seems to be more similar to Undertaker. I expect an Undertaker-like scenario for his long term future.

This all sounds very speculative.

I've never been a John Cena fan. Well, not after his entertaining rap promos in his early days anyways... If he only hangs around for another 5 years or so I'd be pleased in truth. I've got a feeling he'll be like Ric Flair and Hulk Hogan and always be floating around the business for decades to come.

I've noticed in a lot of his promos over the past year or so him talking about how h can't be the guy forever and look at all the "old man" talk by Russev. Maybe it's nothing but it does seem like his career is slowly winding down.

John Cena, today, is the WWE. He will never leave the WWE, and when he becomes too old to do his 5 moves of doom, he will become the Face version of the Authority with Daniel Bryan and the Bella Twins. Think Jack Tunney with charisma.

I don't think Cena will retire in the next 5 years, he LIVES wrestling and unless he has a career-ending injury, he'll be around for a good while yet.

Agreed. In my opinion, the reason the OP gets the feeling Cena will retire within 5 years is because WWE has apparently decided he's been on top for so long that the only way to stem the tide of "Cena sucks!" is to de-emphasize his role and use him to advance the careers of others, even while keeping his own career at a high level. But as many have complained about WWE "shoving him down our throats"....well, that's something we're not seeing as much of.

Personally, I still see him as #1 in WWE and have never been "bored" by anything he's done. I've compared Cena's career to the "beloved" Hulk Hogan's many times and conclude that much of what Cena is hated for are the same things for which Hogan was loved. Go figure.

At the same time, hard as it is to believe, Cena has been the top man in WWE longer than Hogan ever was. Everything in show business has a shelf life.....for example, the most popular TV shows eventually see their ratings drop, right? Things go up, things go down.

Still, that the company is using Cena in a different manner doesn't mean his prime days are numbered. Yes, if he's to leave the company because his body breaks down ....well, that could happen to anyone, couldn't it? But with all the things the man is capable of....and the notion that he'll be re-invented a few times in the coming years to take advantage of what he offers....I think 10 years is a better estimate of how long he'll be a full-time, active competitor.

He may say he has the passion to keep going for a lot longer but the body will say different. He's also a power lifter so you have to factor that in. And don't you think everything he says is a WWE script. What's he gonna say, that he works too hard and the schedule is rough and he's ready to hang it up? He'll be around until Vince can find his next big star.

Cena turns 38 around the end of April and while he's still a young man, his body is bound to be breaking down. Considering as tirelessly as he's worked, there are probably days when Cena feels more like he's 77 years old rather than 37. It's not just the wear & tear of the business, but it's also the additional work & travel required if you wanna be THE guy in WWE.

What I see is Cena retiring from a full time schedule when he hits 40, taking on one that's dramatically reduced. It might even get to the point where he decides to only wrestle a small handful of times a year, thus adding more hostility than he already has as he'll be a part timer. As for when he'll hang up his jorts for good, barring injury that forces him to retire, I'm thinking it'll be around 45 or so.

I really hope this feeling is wrong but I have a feeling that Cena is retiring soon. I could be wrong. But this is the same feeling I had with HBK,Edge,Undertaker,Christian,Sting and Kurt Angle. And boom Christian,Edge,HBK are all retired. Sting,Undertaker,and Angle are both on their way out. I just have that bad feeling it is. People say he has a good 10- 15 years left. But I say they are extremely exaggerating his time. I don't want to see him go as much as the next guy but let's be real that is unrealistic. In 10 years he will be 48. So in 15 years he will be 53. I honestly predict the rest of his career will go down like this.

2015- Does somewhat of a part-time schedule to advance a storyline with him and Rusev that leads to a heel turn and Mania 32 match with Reigns.
(See Here http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?t=287153 )
2016- Finally turns heel; wins the world title again and goes part-time.

2017-
Continues as a dominant heel and wins his final world title until his final year in WWE. He faces Daniel Bryan at WrestleMania this year.

2018- Turns face again and faces Roman at Mania again and turns face post match to raise his hand up. Returns at Summerslam and stays from there on.

2019- Wins world title one more time and retires with title at Mania in one last match .

I could be wrong but that is how I see it going down. Basically this is what I want from you is to know... How long you think Cena will be around longer? and If you say 5 years how do you project it to go?

I think he'll be around for the next 20+ years. Cena loves the WWE and isn't going anywhere. He's the modern day Hogan. WWE is going to milk him even after he dies.

Slowing down, maybe, retiring...highly doubtful in the next 5 years.

He lives and breathes the WWE. He's not going anywhere.

Truthfully, I could see him retiring from the ring a lot sooner than that. Let's face it, Cena is never going to be used like a Sgt. Slaughter and start being used to put guys over. At some point, he is just going to disappear from ring competition. I think that is what we will see sometime within the next couple years - a big match between him and someone where if he lose, Cena retires. No one will but into him leaving so when he does lose, it will be a shocker and he will then start working for the wwe as an ambassador - be the pretty boy public face of the company. He'll wrestle the odd special show but otherwise, he will be done. I don't see it within 5 years, I see it within the next couple years. Simply put, you can't have him and someone else like Reigns being the face of the company if you want the new guy to be successful. Bret and HBK would never had had their chances if Hogan had stuck around so like there, Cena needs to leave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back