Why Did Soccer Never Catch On In America?

Then you don't know much about Michael Jordan. He was once a VERY good baseball player. Simply you saying that he sucks doesn't make it true. He wouldn't have even been signed by a MAJOR LEAGUE FRANCHISE.

You do know that he was signed to a MINOR LEAGUE FRANCHISE. Not a MLB team a Minor league team and he got kicked of the team for having sucky numbers so yea he sucked.

The point is, the majority of top American athletes don't play soccer, and would probably do very well if they did. There's a reason the US always dominates the olympics. We have better athletes, and play games that utilize every talent.

The reason most athletes don't play soccer is because they suck at it. Yes I will say that we have very good athletes and win a lot at the olympics but it doesn't mean the would be good at soccer.

NFL plays last for on average 7 seconds then you get a minute break. In soccer the time is always moving, there is no rest or break. This is always true in folkstyle wrestling. You go for 6 min 7 in college with no break. It takes a complete different skill.

I don't care what poverty stricken nations play, all of the top countries play baseball. You see world championships in baseball, not so in cricket. You have a bunch of Euro teams, calling it a big deal.

Last I checked the only big countries outside of Europe was the United States, Japan, and China. With only the US and Japan being fans of baseball your point is moot. Also, the world championship in baseball is for only U.S teams excluding Toronto Blue Jays while (correct me if I'm wrong people from cricket playing coutries) there is tournament every so often where different countries come together and decide who the best cricket team is. Hell, cricket is more popular than baseball in most countries.

And no, soccer stadiums do not put NFL stadiums to shame.

Bloody hell they would. I watched Manchestor United vs. Newcastle on t.v. a few days ago and the stadium is bigger than any stadium I have ever seen. Including NFL stadiums and it was packed with not one empty seat.

I know what he was TRYING to do. However, he failed to actual apply my logic, leading to another non-sense post.

If you knew what he doing then he applied proper logic and your just the most iggnorant, and racist (or is nationalist) person in the world.

Just because we "American's" like it doesn't mean the rest of the world likes what we do. The rest of the world has a rich tradition spanning thousands of years why we have 200. I find soccer, baseball, and wrestling to be the three purest sports out there and I'm American.

You do know that he was signed to a MINOR LEAGUE FRANCHISE. Not a MLB team a Minor league team and he got kicked of the team for having sucky numbers so yea he sucked.

No, he didn't sign with a Minor League team. He signed a Minor League CONTRACT for a Major League TEAM. Difference.

NFL plays last for on average 7 seconds then you get a minute break. In soccer the time is always moving, there is no rest or break. This is always true in folkstyle wrestling. You go for 6 min 7 in college with no break. It takes a complete different skill.

But a lot of the time the players are just standing on the field regaining their energy anyways. It's not like they're running up the field full speed every second of the game. A whole lot of the time they're seen standing with their hands on their hips doing a whole lotta nothing.

Last I checked the only big countries outside of Europe was the United States, Japan, and China. With only the US and Japan being fans of baseball your point is mute. Also, the world championship in baseball is for only U.S teams excluding Toronto Blue Jays while (correct me if I'm wrong people from cricket playing coutries) there is tournament every so often where different countries come together and decide who the best cricket team is. Hell, cricket is more popular than baseball in most countries.

China's a very popular baseball country. And there is a baseball championship type thing, like the world cup. It's the World Baseball Classic. While not having nearly the amount of history as the WC, it's the same process. Hell, there's a Baseball World Cup as well. All of the Americas and a great part of Asia play baseball a hell of a lot more then they play cricket.

And I feel that people should realize that MJ isn't the best example of a dual sport athlete. Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders, and Dave Winfield all have had considerable success in more then 1 sport.

I can just come up with one reason : I think it's because America is NOT the motherland of this sport.

I'm not american and when i check the list of sports , i see ones like basketball , baseball , football and hockey are the most popular ones in US.You also can easily see that the world's most famous national leagues in these sports are in USA.NBA , NFL , MLB , NHL.

On the other hand , soccer has never been given half the attention of sports i mentioned above, because American aren't the master of soccer.They were and are always inferior to countries like England , Brazil , Spain and the list can go on with 6 or 7 more countries.

The greatest National leagues in soccer are Premier league , La Liga and Serie A.There is also UEFA CL which is the most prestigious annual competition in soccer which will NEVER include an American team.

We all know the American culture : When USA is not No.1 force in some major , or even close to that position, then it is not that important.

There also several other reason which i may explain later.

I am an American, and I absolutely could not care less about soccer. In fact, I did not watch a single match of this year's World Cup. However, this is not to say that I do not respect the players, who devote their lives to their craft, or the fans of the sport, who are every bit as passionate as, if not more than, fans in America. Some people have gone far off topic and turned this thread into "US vs. the World", which seems to defeat the purpose of this discussion. To answer the question plainly, Americans don't like soccer because it isn't our sport. There are many other reasons (lack of scoring, physicality), but for me, this is what keeps us away from it. We are traditionally raised on Football (our version), Basketball, Baseball, and Hockey. Soccer, however, almost has a stigma attached to it in our country. It's a sport our athletes don't traditionally play, so we often don't bother with it. It is NOT because we're "bad at it" (our best athletes play the sports that are popular here).

I'm back again, voice of reason that I clearly am.

Oh there is so, so much to choose from... where can I possibly start. This is going to be lots and lots of fun! Can't you feel it.

First of all, I have to begin by giving credit where it's due. Reddannihilation perfectly summed up TwistofRKO's mindset. I gave you rep but you deserve public recognition for this. James Toney! Ha, Freaking Ha! I liked that!

Now, lets get down to the conversation proper.

The first thing I saw was you claiming that the Chinese only began caring for the NBA once Yao got involved. Well, sure. That's gonna be a major reason but the product has to be something to capture that guy's home countries attention. I'm pretty sure there are many British guys in your sports. Guess which ones are popular... None except UFC.

In the same way I'll follow an English band or actor if they attempt to break America. I'll follow them, but if what they come out with is shit, I'll quickly lose interest. The same happened for your sports. We have no interest.

To finalize the point, just because it happened in one country, doesn't mean that your sports are the best.

Papa Grande... you've decided to get involved on the RKO side of things. What did you say? The US got just as far as England in the World Cup. You are correct sir. Hate to break it to you though but England didn't get very far. We never said that England were very good at the sport at the moment. There are things I could say on that topic but this is neither the time nor the place but saying that you are just as good as England at Soccer to back up your ability to play the sport is a bit like bragging that you lost your virginity at 55. Good for you, but others have done so much better than you.

You went on to say that your best athletes don't play soccer. Very astute of you once more but that is because it isn't popular. Our best supermodels don't do Hello magazine ads or get their tits out for lads mags. No they advertise Dolche and Armani... in store. Our best actors don't work on Soap Operas, they do Hollywood movies. Since when does the best at something do something low key. But then look at my last post. Your view of soccer players doesn't add up. We are as tall as NFL guys. We Weigh the same as NFL guys. Your guys just look bigger because of the padding. They perhaps have more bulk because they take hits. Look at our rugby guys instead. They would certainly match up in the same way as NFL Stars... if not more so. Landon Donavon is a great athlete. He is Premier League quality. That's the most famous league in the world by the way. The world is larger than the USA. He's a top athlete.

Dhays9, I have nothing bad to say about you but you do need to realise that RKO is a terrible debater and his 'confusion' of Soccer/Football, Football/Soccer was his handy get out clause of otherwise having to debate a point well made. He's talking a cocktail of nonsense and bullshit. He knows the difference very well, he's just pathetic enough to go that low.

One of my favourite RKO moments comes here... WE INVENTED FOOTBALL!

No you didn't. You took elements of Rugby, Gaelic football, Track and Soccer and the NFL was the produce. McDonald's latest burger wasn't Invented. They just took the ingredients they already had and reassembled them.

"There's a reason we dominate in every other sport." is another favourite of mine.

Which ones do you truly dominate on a Global level.

I'll help you out. NFL, Ice Hockey, Basketball and Baseball are not the right answers. Reasons. The rest of the world don't play it at the same level, if at all. Britain has now ceased to play American Football any longer professionally so your national sport is out... you know, the one your top athletes play

There is a few sports however that you are good at. First I have to name would be Track and Field. You guys are pretty good at them. Even the winter games too as you are blessed to have areas that are largely covered in snow, like Colorado or Alaska. We in the UK have Scotland... and to be honest, the snow isn't that frequent... it's more rain, sleet or hail. Great skiing conditions.

How about Golf. Yeah, you have many good guys. Namely Tiger Woods. Sure, he's a little distracted right now but his name and his record is known by even none golf fans.

Got to mention Tennis. you have had many greats over the years and whilst Europe might have the top 3 spots right now, you guys will certainly be up there again very soon. And who can really argue with the Williams sisters success either.

This is called a real debate. I am so confident in my ability to debate successfully that I'm willing to actually give you a little help in your battles. Feel free to take from my lead... but remember, no mentioning any NFL, NHL, NBA or MLB guys. No, they don't dominate on a Global Scale. Again, the world is much bigger than the USA.

You mentioned at the World cup that you fielded your 20th string athletes. Now, lets toss this idea out there. Perhaps I'm a little bit simple but I just don't get this concept. Do you really have a chart of all your athletes and you split them up into strings and you field your first string to, say, NFL and then your second string to NBA, Third string to NHL (Because you have to beat them dirty Canadians AMIRITE!?) fourth to MLB and so on and so forth until you get to your twentieth best athletes and you put them in Soccer?

"But Teacher! I want to be a Gymnast!"

"Tough Shit little Daisy, you're far to good to be a 16th stringer... you go play bowling like a good little girl"

"But bowlers have such big arms and ugly faces"

"Welcome to the USA!"

Give me a break. People decide what they want to do for themselves. Landon Donovan didn't try out for Football first, then Basketball, then Hockey, then Baseball and so on until, sucking at each one until he found he could actually excel on the soccer field. He loves soccer. Has the natural ability for it and trained hard for it. Short of movie and music stars and Barack Obama, he's quite possibly one of your most famous exports. Up there with guys like Jordan. And You can deny that all you like but his poster is in Soccer magazines the world over and he is on little kids walls. Again, the world is bigger than the USA.

fuh q said:
American's like sport with physicality, well, except for Baseball and Basketball, gotta wonder why actual rugby never caught on though, physical sport, no padding at all, large men kicking the shit out of each other, egg shaped ball.
That has got to be one of the most thought provoking posts I've seen in a while. Take out the Egg Shaped Ball thing and does that not sound like an arguement for liking MMA over Boxing? The difference. MMA did catch on. AMERICA! Invest in Rugby now! It's a cash cow waiting to happen!

Education time for you now RKO... What the world knows as Football (in an english translation) is not called Soccer. It is actually called Association Football. You can disprove Wikipedia all you want but for guys (like you) who decide to edit the website for shits and giggles there are 100 guys like me and everyone else on here helping to bury you that fix it and make it right again. Wikipedia is a very clever idea and a valuable tool and whilst I wouldn't use it in research if I had a deadly illness, I think I can trust it about sport. The first paragraph states it's true name and also, the fact that it IS the worlds most popular sport. Again (and sing along with me if you want) The world is bigger than the USA.

For the record we don't know cheese puffs as cheese puffs over here in England. We know them as Cheesy Balls. Lays are known as Walkers. Cheetos are Wotsits and overall Chips are known as Crisps. Sidewalk becomes pavement. Trash becomes rubbish and Asshole becomes ********. I also use the term 'Becomes' very loosely as, it is our language rightfully... so technically, what we say is correct. The point is just because you say something, it isn't automatically factual.

twistofrko said:
How are non-Americans supposed to give a portrait of how we view it? They can't. They haven't. Everyone is busy complaining how soccer isn't boring or something, which is NOT the topic.

And to twist that one round for you, how can you give a portrait of how we view soccer? You quite simply can't. You aren't a fan so in you say it's shit and I just proved in the point above what you saying this proves.

Americans buy more American made car per year than European or Asian made cars. There are pie charts that prove this kind of thing. There is a reason for this. American made cars are made to navigate many different terrains and to also cover long distances. This is due to the size and different climates of your county. No other country has this problem so a Volkswagen, made in Germany, built for performance in Germany and other like-climated and terrained countries just isn't going to be that popular in America. The most popular foreign cars bought in america are sports cars bought by rich college students so they can get laid or collectors editions bought by the rich man. Your main example mainly sucks because it's main foundations have mainly crumbled.

This one won my favourite comment award. This is when I decided you have serious ignorance problems

fooloftheyearRKO said:
The reason we don't win at cricket? The rest of the world evolved and plays BASEBALL. Are you joking with this post?

The reason everyone plays soccer is because all you need is a freaking round ball. Like Ghana could send us a slew of NFL players. We pick and choose our sports.

Seriously, this is funnier than Anchorman.

The Rest of the World plays baseball? Really?

To use wikipedia again, Japan has the biggest baseball circuit outside of the Americas (North and South) and it is considerably smaller than the American and Canadian leagues. In Europe, it is most prominant in Holland and Italy where it is considered a niche attraction. A bit like Madame Toussads. Australia did well though. They managed to clinch a silver medal at the 2004 Olympics. That doesn't count as global domination for you Gold Medalists. Wait until the Baseball world series features credible opposition from around the world and then you can claim that one.

How about Cricket... the game you guys supposedly evolved from.

Well, England play it. Australia. West Indies. Pakistan. Sri Lanka. South Africa. New Zealand. Zimbabwe. Scotland, Netherlands, India, Bangladesh, Bermuda, Kenya, Canada and Ireland. That whole list participated in the last Cricket World Cup in 2007. World. And as we all know. The World is bigger than the USA. And Cricket is bigger than Baseball.

All we need to play football is a round ball? Is that right? I don't need a goal then? Or enough players? So, sure, I can play a quick game with my friends without much more equipment than a ball and my jacket can be used as one goal post and my backpack can be the other. Can't you guys have little games in the park with your friends? Or do you have to wear the pads and the helmets and have the full goal posts and cheerleaders and hotdog sellers.

If you're talking professionally then a soccer team requires the correct boots, shin pads, the ball, flags, a referee, linesmen, a manager, a squad of 16 players on each side, kits (uniforms or jerseys) a up to standard soccer pitch measure and marked correctly and the goals.

But all we need is a round ball right A freaking round ball. Because round balls are so last century right?

Another gem was all soccer is is glorified Cross-Country. No. It isn't. All soccer is is the worlds most popular sport. And your opinion that people use soccer to cross train for another sport is ridiculous. Why risk yourself getting an injury to your legs if you want to play another sport. Soccer involves kicking and tackling using your feet. Metatarsals, Ankles, Knees, Calfs, Hamstrings and toes are all at tremendous risk in Soccer. If you damage any of them, you can't really play any of America's national sports. If people are playing soccer because of that reason, please, for the sake of your friends, tell them to stop because they are in danger of being as foolish as you.

Nobody here grows up pretending to be a soccer player in the back yard. Everyone wants to be Peyton Manning or Ray Lewis. Deal with it. That's how it is.

The USA has a estimated population of 310,101,000. Add another 34,226,000 to that from Canada and you're telling me you know all of those people? You might happen to know my cousin Cameron in San Fran then. He is a huge fan of David Villa, Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi. He plays soccer with me when I go over and he has Barcelona, Real Madrid, Spain or Portugal shirts with their names on the back. His friends, Marco, Dale and Jared were big Wayne Rooney, Steven Gerrard and Milito fans too last time I was there. His sister Robyn has a humongous crush on David Beckham, Thierry Henry and Landon Donovan too. They love soccer and Cameron actually wants to be a soccer player. What was your points again. My point is that you are, once again, wrong. Deal with it. That's how it is.

Michael Jordan failed at baseball because baseball has absolutely nothing to do with his ability to leap and dunk and bounce a ball. Just like Brock Lesnar can fight anyone, pounding them into submission but he didn't even get out of NFL pre season. Paris Hilton is pretty good at making sex tapes and being a socialite ditzy bimbo and looking pretty hot on occasion. She can't act or sing very well though. My business is Car Insurance... I'd be fucking awful at being a travel agent. People do what they do because they're good at it. They don't do it because they're good at something else which isn't as cool. That's not how careers work. To go back to the James Toney reference, he thought he could knock out Randy Couture. Couture took away that ability and it became immediately apparant that he had no idea what to do from his back, offering arms and legs openly with lettle defence, desperately listening to the corner men (including couture's) for on the job advice on how to defend. He lost, needless to say. The words on every MMA fans mouth were 'You Stupid, Fucking Idiot.'

It really isn't that simple to step from one role to another. Again, just because you are in top physical condition doesn't mean you are primed for anything. Arnold Schwarzenegger was Mr Universe. He was at the peak of physical conditioning. He wouldn't have been amazing in sports though.

The two largest stadiums in the world are used for Soccer. The Top ten is dominated by American football, I will grant you that but you focused earlier on the amount of money America has and can put into the game, factor in the size of your country and the popularity of the sport and your highest capacity stadium for NFL is 110,000? That's ridiculous. You should be cramming it 150,000 - 200,000 easily for the Superbowl. As for the most famous stadium in the world. The Camp Nou, Old Trafford or Wembley will come to mind quite quickly and most Americans will know of them and who plays there instantly. Can any non America tell me where the current superbowl champions the New Orleans Saints play? What is the stadium called? Anybody? I'd be very surprised.

We now go back to Baseball... when, please tell, do we see World championships in Baseball? I already proved that there is actually a cricket world cup. There have been a few of them. And when proving the world baseball championships, please remember what I always say about the world... The World is bigger than the USA.

Manchester United Vs Newcastle was a league match featuring one of the countries best teams vs a newly promoted side from a lower division. Yet Dhays9 is correct, it was packed to capacity. 76,000 for that match. Manchester United is my team. We do that every week. Even midweek. Against Chelsea, Against Barcalona, Against Wigan. It doesn't matter who we're playing, we'll fill that stadium and I'm damn proud to call it home. It's very famous too. I still can't think of any American Football stadiums though... Maybe the Rose bowl, but I only know that through Wrestling... wasn't Wrestlemania held there recently. The Most amazing American venues I can think of is MSG and the MGM. And Caeser's Palace if we can call it a venue. That's it. Nothing to do with football. More Wrestling, Boxing and Concerts. And Rmays9, he is bordering very close to racism, but it is my favourite kind. It's the pointless kind that only makes him look ridiculous. I'm enjoying it!

PAPA GRANDE is back. Lets see what he had to say!

But a lot of the time the players are just standing on the field regaining their energy anyways. It's not like they're running up the field full speed every second of the game. A whole lot of the time they're seen standing with their hands on their hips doing a whole lotta nothing.

They do run up and down in some cases. Lionel Messi, Diego Forlan, Carlos Tevez, Wayne Rooney, Fernando Torres, David Beckham, Thierry Henry, Landon Donovan. They're all workhorses. They do it for 90 minutes. Are you really going to judge them for occasionally taking a breather. As the quote you were replying to was saying, NFL guys stop every 10 seconds or so and take breathers there. Sure, I'm not expecting them to run constantly wearing all the equipment but 10 seconds? My baby cousin has just learnt to walk and he's managing stints of longer than 30 seconds and he's still developing. And after he stops, he gets back going again less than a minute later. I'm pretty sure his muscle ratio isn't quite near the standard of Terrell Owens and co. They should be able to do more than that for me.

More on Baseball from Papa:

China's a very popular baseball country. And there is a baseball championship type thing, like the world cup. It's the World Baseball Classic. While not having nearly the amount of history as the WC, it's the same process. Hell, there's a Baseball World Cup as well. All of the Americas and a great part of Asia play baseball a hell of a lot more then they play cricket.

Ah you proved it. Well done. Except... that's not quite the same process is it.

As I proved earlier. Japan's baseball circuit isn't quite as big as MLB. So you're already going in odds on favourite to win. Is there qualifying rounds? Is it actually televised globally? Who won the last one. These are questions I should know the answer to if it was a true world cup. I'm going to change my mantra a little here, I hope you don't mind. The World is bigger than the Americas and Far East Asia.

Papa also counted MJ out as being a good example for a cross sport star, instead naming Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders and Dave Winfield as better examples. What has this proved? That people can play multiple sports... well, 3 people can play multiple sports. Well played sir, I certainly didn't see that trump card coming. What do you know, J'Lo can act and sing at a similarly successful level. It really isn't unheard of. As I said earlier, Paris Hilton has crossed over multiple times.

Cracka Jack has just hit the nail on the head, fittingly, just in time to end my talk... I really had no idea how to end this when I started. You are traditionally raised to like NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL. It's what your Daddies watched when they were kids and it's what your kids will watch in the future.

Before I go, I just want to say one thing to the guys I've counter argued and disagreed with and, in one RKO formed instance, insulted due to stupidity, when you reply to this. Read it all.

I know it's long. I know it's not what you want to hear but it's not like I'm telling a hebrew to read a christian bible here. You'll get through it quicker than you think. Answer my points correctly. Don't construct my words to fit your jokes. Don't mock my opinions just because I don't agree with you. Don't just disagree with what I saw and not back it up. Read what I did. I backed everything I have said up with fact and source if necessary.

This is your chance to actually earn some respect from us. This is the dilemma. If you manage to debate reasonably, you'll have proved me wrong and will earn our respect. But if, as I expect, you can't do that... you kind of make anything you do say redundant and a total waste of your time. My time on this post will be gratified as I will have made a difference in this world... and the world is much bigger than the USA!

IDR and KB summed it up pretty well, though I do enjoy soccer. Most Americans enjoy watching something with more scoring, and a different kind of physicality, like what (American) football offers. And the MLS fucking sucks, the only good time to watch soccer in the States is when the World Cup is on, a lot of Americans tune in for that.

I'm not going to re-hash this with incompetent people, and judging by others around the board, I'm not the only one who thinks so...

That James Toney example is so unbelievably stupid. It would work if Randy Couture went to boxing and was killed. It's an undeniable fact that football utilizes many different skills, way more than soccer, just as MMA uses more than boxing. Therefore the example you tried to twist ineffectively was completely backwards. Of course I can say Chad OchoCinco can play soccer. He's fast, has quick feet, and can kick. Now somebody claiming David Beckham could play shortstop if given time to train? Its so ignorant to say that. When has he done anything in soccer to show skills of hitting, throwing, or fielding ground balls.

If not just for the fact that somebody used James Toney as an example, and got praised for it no less, I should let my posts stand for themselves, somebody insisting that David Beckham would be able to play Shortstop based on the knowledge we have definitely assures I should let my posts stand for themselves.

I'm not going to re-hash this with incompetent people, and judging by others around the board, I'm not the only one who thinks so...

That James Toney example is so unbelievably stupid. It would work if Randy Couture went to boxing and was killed. It's an undeniable fact that football utilizes many different skills, way more than soccer, just as MMA uses more than boxing. Therefore the example you tried to twist ineffectively was completely backwards. Of course I can say Chad OchoCinco can play soccer. He's fast, has quick feet, and can kick. Now somebody claiming David Beckham could play shortstop if given time to train? Its so ignorant to say that. When has he done anything in soccer to show skills of hitting, throwing, or fielding ground balls.

If not just for the fact that somebody used James Toney as an example, and got praised for it no less, I should let my posts stand for themselves, somebody insisting that David Beckham would be able to play Shortstop based on the knowledge we have definitely assures I should let my posts stand for themselves.

Ignorance. Yeah, that's a word you should know plenty about. Ignorance to my entire previous post. Ignorance to how skill actually works. Ignorance to being schooled left, right and centre in this entire thread.

Ignorant to the point of the Toney/Couture fight. Toney knowingly entered a MMA fight. Not the other way around. Couture knew if he enters a boxing ring that he has no strengths and plenty of weaknesses so there was no chance or hope that he could win against a boxer in a boxing ring, least of all against a guy with the power of Toney. He was put on the mat and was tapped out. The man was playing the smack talk games before hand, claiming to be prepared and that 9 months was long enough and that he was going to knock couture out. The rules of MMA are to work to your strengths and try to eliminate your opponents strengths. Couture did that. In a MMA fight. Which he asked for.

He was stupid because he thought all it took was boxing skill. It requires a whole lot more than that. Toney got no offence in. He looks stupid now and I hope he enjoys the paycheck he recieves for it.

You are doing the same thing here. Chad Ochocinco can play soccer because he can kick an egg shaped ball from his hands or from a spot? That's not really how soccer skills are learnt. Ball Control. Volleys. Dribbling. Shooting. Passing and off the ball play are all vitally important and none of those techniques are learnt in American Football. With training, perhaps he could do those things but not immediately. It'd take a good few years.

David Beckham shows none of the skills associated with Baseball because he doesn't need them in Soccer. But if he practices then why not? Again, like I said earlier. What did Michael Jordan's dunking ability or jumping prowess have to do with hitting home runs and catching a much smaller ball? What does Brock Lesnar throwing guys over his head have to do with him throwing an NFL ball? Different skill sets. Those two couldn't adapt despite being, as you say, tremendous athletes.

The fact that you can call anybody here ignorant is so hypocritical it's beyond a joke.

Ignorance. Yeah, that's a word you should know plenty about. Ignorance to my entire previous post. Ignorance to how skill actually works. Ignorance to being schooled left, right and centre in this entire thread.

Ignorant to the point of the Toney/Couture fight. Toney knowingly entered a MMA fight. Not the other way around. Couture knew if he enters a boxing ring that he has no strengths and plenty of weaknesses so there was no chance or hope that he could win against a boxer in a boxing ring, least of all against a guy with the power of Toney. He was put on the mat and was tapped out. The man was playing the smack talk games before hand, claiming to be prepared and that 9 months was long enough and that he was going to knock couture out. The rules of MMA are to work to your strengths and try to eliminate your opponents strengths. Couture did that. In a MMA fight. Which he asked for.

He was stupid because he thought all it took was boxing skill. It requires a whole lot more than that. Toney got no offence in. He looks stupid now and I hope he enjoys the paycheck he recieves for it.

You are doing the same thing here. Chad Ochocinco can play soccer because he can kick an egg shaped ball from his hands or from a spot? That's not really how soccer skills are learnt. Ball Control. Volleys. Dribbling. Shooting. Passing and off the ball play are all vitally important and none of those techniques are learnt in American Football. With training, perhaps he could do those things but not immediately. It'd take a good few years.

David Beckham shows none of the skills associated with Baseball because he doesn't need them in Soccer. But if he practices then why not? Again, like I said earlier. What did Michael Jordan's dunking ability or jumping prowess have to do with hitting home runs and catching a much smaller ball? What does Brock Lesnar throwing guys over his head have to do with him throwing an NFL ball? Different skill sets. Those two couldn't adapt despite being, as you say, tremendous athletes.

The fact that you can call anybody here ignorant is so hypocritical it's beyond a joke.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

You COMPLETELY missed the boat on this one. Kind of like the quote Slyfox has in his signature. You're not very quick.

1) Toney going to a sport that uses more skills is not like a football player going to soccer. So I'll cross out the entire first two paragraphs of absolute garbage for you.

2) Brock Lesnar wasn't a Quarterback

3) Michael Jordan was already a good baseball player, AND attributes in basketball are similar to many in baseball, minus the hitting.

4) Chad Ochocinco is a WR, who can kick the football, who would probably be a professional soccer player had he not played football. THAT'S why I said he could play soccer, genius.

5) With THIS as your reply, I'm out of this thread. That was atrocious.

Ah you proved it. Well done. Except... that's not quite the same process is it.

As the World Cup? Where you have to qualify? The next installment will be. The first two (2006, 09) were trial runs to see if it was a success. It was. Now it will be expanded to 24 teams and each team will have to qualify to make it in, starting in 2013 (the next year it's held)

As I proved earlier. Japan's baseball circuit isn't quite as big as MLB. So you're already going in odds on favourite to win. Is there qualifying rounds? Is it actually televised globally? Who won the last one. These are questions I should know the answer to if it was a true world cup. I'm going to change my mantra a little here, I hope you don't mind. The World is bigger than the Americas and Far East Asia.

Yes, it was broadcast internationally by ESPN. Only 16 teams were included, so obviously the countries that focus on it more (Americas, Asia) would have more teams. However, 3 Non Asian/American teams, Italy, Netherlands, and Australia, all qualified. And now that it's being expanded to 24 teams, more European teams will be included. Japan has won both of the two so far, as USA doesn't have it's top players participate due to it running right during the time Spring Training starts.

This is all about the WBC, as it's the World Cup of Baseball.

Papa also counted MJ out as being a good example for a cross sport star, instead naming Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders and Dave Winfield as better examples. What has this proved? That people can play multiple sports... well, 3 people can play multiple sports. Well played sir, I certainly didn't see that trump card coming. What do you know, J'Lo can act and sing at a similarly successful level. It really isn't unheard of. As I said earlier, Paris Hilton has crossed over multiple times.

Those were the three most prominent figures that succeeded in more then one sport. There's more players I could've mentioned that have had college and pro success in more then one sport, but I'm too lazy to look it up.

So yeah, Baseball is quickly growing into a national sport.

As the World Cup? Where you have to qualify? The next installment will be. The first two (2006, 09) were trial runs to see if it was a success. It was. Now it will be expanded to 24 teams and each team will have to qualify to make it in, starting in 2013 (the next year it's held)

Although the format is similar to say 24 teams will attempt to qualify compared to the 205 that attempted to qualify (or did qualify) for the football world cup is a huge difference. Even back in the first world cup, 32 countries tried to qualify

Japan has won both of the two so far, as USA doesn't have it's top players participate due to it running right during the time Spring Training starts.

That pretty much sums up why a Baseball world cup would never really hit it off as, let's face it, why would people get involved to watch the second string because the top stars put club before country. You get excited about a world cup because it's meant to be the best against the best. Using second string players just gives people an excuse not to care and to make excuses as to why they didn't win.

So yeah, Baseball is quickly growing into a national sport.

That, unfortunately, suffers, in England at least, from the fact we have cricket. Don't ask me why, but people over here seem to love it. Like Americans with their version of football instead of ours, I can't see baseball replacing cricket in the hearts of English people. I'd take cheese rolling over cricket personally, but I've rather digressed from the point.

And, twistofRKO, you ignorant little fool. I think you'll find that David Beckham has shown plenty of ability to score a perfectly good conversion in rugby (or field goal if you will). It's on youtube if you need to see it. He had a few days training with Johnny Wilkinson on how to do it and he could. So, yeah, considering that I'd say with the right training, and natural flair with his feet (as someone like Beckham clearly has) he'd do well. American footballers would be at an instant disadvantage in football compared to others because, in general, their height and weight would count against them. Yes they can take a hit and do all the physical mumbo jumbo but, they're not trained in moving the ball with their feet, and this would count against them no matter how hard they can slug or be slugged.

Oh, CJ, I'd say the mighty Emirates Stadium is better then Old Trafford though, as you'll see when we beat ya this season! :D

And, twistofRKO, you ignorant little fool. I think you'll find that David Beckham has shown plenty of ability to score a perfectly good conversion in rugby (or field goal if you will). It's on youtube if you need to see it. He had a few days training with Johnny Wilkinson on how to do it and he could. So, yeah, considering that I'd say with the right training, and natural flair with his feet (as someone like Beckham clearly has) he'd do well.

And this helps him hitting, fielding ground balls, and throwing how?
:lmao:
This is the funniest thread I've ever been in.

And this helps him hitting, fielding ground balls, and throwing how?
:lmao:
This is the funniest thread I've ever been in.

He wasn't saying he was crossing over to baseball you dumbass. He was using an example from real life. Good you probably have an IQ lower than 30.

He wasn't saying he was crossing over to baseball you dumbass. He was using an example from real life. Good you probably have an IQ lower than 30.

Negative, I used Beckham in an example earlier, becoming a Shortstop, and has been mentioned numerous times. So, logically, since it was my example, and he called me out on it, he's talking about THAT.

Lots of pots and kettles here.

Negative, I used Beckham in an example earlier, becoming a Shortstop, and has been mentioned numerous times. So, logically, since it was my example, and he called me out on it, he's talking about THAT.

Lots of pots and kettles here.

This is a serious question.

ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS????

He never used that example and I'm pretty sure that your not the one who brought up Beckham so he can use what ever example he wants as long as it works and it does.

Michael Jordan failed at baseball because he was too old. His hand-eye coordination was developed enough for a professional baseball player. He was very good at a younger age. Think David Beckham could play Shortstop? That's not what I said. If our top athletes are trained at other sports, they'd do very well in them. Try stopping 6'8 275lbs LeBron James on a soccer field, you know, freakishly fast for his height.

Right so LeBron James can play football because he's fast. He's never demonstrated any level of skill when it comes to handling a ball with his feet, or head. Now your Beckham playing Shortstop example is amusing, because you keep saying Beckham doesn't use his hands to catch or bat, but LeBron James does use his feet to control the ball in basketball? No, you're a dumbass.

It is not more widespread than baseball. The entire world plays baseball.
Shows how little you actually know on the subject. Cricket is played in more countries than baseball.

I'm sorry, are you going to continue with non-sense posts? Did I say they have no hands? You are not very bright. They have supplied maybe 2-3 NFL players, ever.
So your argument is that Ghana, a country in Africa, hasn't supplied the USA with players for a sport played in the USA. That is ******ed, like literally ******ed. the NFL is not a global representative of Gridiron. It's a US league, so why on Earth would the entire population of another country be focused on playing as representatives of cities in the USA? That's so stupid it isn't funny.

I don't care what poverty stricken nations play, all of the top countries play baseball.
The top countries? Mexico is better off than the UK now? Australia is poverty stricken? Fuck, you're one of the most ignorant pieces of shit around.

You see world championships in baseball, not so in cricket.
Put down the crack pipe, The Cricket World Cup, The Twenty20 World Cup, not to mention the various international Test matches and individual competitions, yeah Cricket certainly doesn't have world championships.:rolleyes:

You have a bunch of Euro teams, calling it a big deal.

So according to you...all European countries are poverty stricken, only Europeans play cricket and there are no cricket world championships. Take a step back from the computer and slap yourself in the face 40-70 times you ignorant douche.

4) Chad Ochocinco is a WR, who can kick the football, who would probably be a professional soccer player had he not played football. THAT'S why I said he could play soccer, genius.
Ugh, you really are dumb, you actually think that all Football involves is kicking a ball. You're so fucking thick.

Seriously, TwistofRKO, you need to learn respect for others opinions that differ to your own.

First of all, we get it. Some people find soccer boring. I find baseball boring. I'm not going to sit here and slate it. I hate golf. It takes some fucking skill to play it though. I accept that. I don't really get American Football (Soccer was called football first, I don't care what you say, I'm calling it American Football in this post, and im caling soccer football.) but I appreciate that they are great athletes.
The point is, yeah, you can get boring football matches. Big deal, it happens in everything. it can't be exciting all the time. Also, some of the best games have been low scoring. A 1-0 win is so much more exciting than a 7-1 spotfest. with a 1-0 scoreline, you get to see one team throw everything at the other looking for an equaliser, whist the other has their backs against the wall, defending through their skin. THAT is excitement, whether you want that team to win, or you want the other side to get that equaliser.

Just remember, Association football was the first form of football. Without it, American Football wouldn't have come around. Be grateful to it. You don't have to be a fan, but don't bash it.

To the point of the thread, football/soccer came to USA after American football, baseball, hockey, basketball, etc. The reason those sports are popular there are the exact same reason why football, cricket, snooker and rugby are popular in the UK. They were made here. Other countries have adopted certain sports, but all in all the only real sport that has caught on GLOBALLY from the US is basketball. People on here have proven that footie/soccer, cricket and rugby have caught on all over the world. Hell, tennis has too, another UK-made sport. Football to an American is like American Football is to a Brit. It's different and you stick with your norm.

Thats my view on it anyway.

To be honest, I'm not even interested in what RKO has to say on this anymore. If you still going on about that out of context signature (a half quote of mine from an unrelated thread no less) and you think Slyfox and Klunder Blunder and co are 'cool' then you clearly are beyond hope.

Those guys like to insult people on the internet, doing so in areas of this forum I never actually go. Liking people like that is less cool than hanging with the nerds with tape on their glasses at school. I'm 23, i'm beyond cliqs and gangs. I'm here for wrestling discussion, sports and the occasional MMA or Graphics thread. I have no interest in going in any spam threads. If I want banter, I'd go hang out with my actual mates at a bar or a football match.

The pettiness I've gotten from those posters hardly bothers me. I've had enough positive rep and PM's based on my posts in this thread alone to really see that that opinion is obviously the minority. Stop trolling, it is so blatantly obvious what you are doing.

On topic, Harry, Red and BK... hitting the nail on the head without failure.

Twist of RKO is a twat who knows nothing about sport or the actual world. His posts show that. He red rep me saying everyone thought he was right so that makes him a liar too. Seriously people don't listen to a word he says he is a troll of the highest order.

The easiest question ever...i tried to watch and fell asleep its so boring...and how can a game end in a tie when your a playoff type thing like the world cup? Football is alot more than catch...you have collison moves...gameplanning i hate the colts but watch a game of theirs there fun to watch and you get to see something exciting alot more often than in soccor where i have to wait an hour for a guy to do a back flip kick?....watch basketball constant scoring constant great plays...with Lebron, Kobe, Dwade, Durant making video game dunks and highlights....so we have in both these sports massive guys with agility making amazing highlights...when i watch soccor i see a bunch of guys in short shorts kicking a ball around quite honestly...Americans like things bigger, faster, and more exciting point blank.

And possibly the biggest thing...you said were ranked what 20th?.....Americans if were not the best than who cares...olympics perfect example...hockey is the fourth hell maybe 5th behind Nascar (unfortunately) but it drew huge ratings for the gold medal game cause we had a shot at being the best...simple..teams like Brazil and Spain would kill the USA....so why would we wanna watch a loser?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back