Why CM Punk Is Chris Jericho In The Flesh

No way CM Punk will go further in the biz, Jericho has gone further than most give him credit for. First ever Undisputed WWE Champion. Since Jericho, HHH, Hogan, Taker, Rocky, Lesnar, Punk and Del Rio have all held the Undisputed title but Jericho was first. There are very few things that can be done in this decade that surpass what was done in the last decade. Back in the good ol' day, titles didn't change hands so rapidly. Back then, the World Champion was one to be feared, the greatest wrestler on the roster. It's a whole nutha' story now. Jericho made it so far in the biz because he did it all when it was the right time to do it, now it amounts to a whole lot less than it did. Title reigns used to go for months and months, now we'll be uber lucky if Del Rio remains champ for the next couple weeks let alone a month.

Let me make another point that will better explain how Punk will never overshadow Y2J. Let's compare Hogan and Cena. Hogan, held the title 6 times, Cena almost doubles that with 11. Hogan had 1 tag team title run, with Edge, Cena had 4. Hogan never touched a mid-card title, Cena held the US title 3 times. Cena has won more matches than most HOFers and he's not even half way done. Why will Cena never surpass the Hulkster? Seems like Cena has better accolades right? Well Hogan did it when wrestling had substance. Hogan did it when it really mattered. Title reigns went for half to whole years back when, the WWE is a whole different company now.

Punk will never surpass Jericho, because there is nothing he can do now that can overlook what Jericho has already done. Punk will be the next Y2J and he will do a great job at being a mimic of the Best in the World, but he will never be better, his career will never go further no matter what.

This is the first that the WWE saw of CM Punk
[YOUTUBE]2QUo0kiu-uQ[/YOUTUBE]

And the first the WWE saw of Y2J
[YOUTUBE]L8WWjm4VEj0[/YOUTUBE]​

Anyone who has followed Y2J and CM Punk should know who's more outspoken. Jericho might just be the most outspoken Superstar in WWE history, might.
That's unfair, Y2J was already really big in WCW. Look at Punk's ROH promos, especially the "This is straightedge" promo.
Punk has all the talent, look at Y2J and Punk at the same age and think what they were doing. Punk is about the same.

That's unfair, Y2J was already really big in WCW. Look at Punk's ROH promos, especially the "This is straightedge" promo.
Punk has all the talent, look at Y2J and Punk at the same age and think what they were doing. Punk is about the same.

Punk is 32 Jericho is 40, it's safe to say you have a valid point. But really anything that Punk does will just make him more of a Jericho imitator. Any step towards this outspoken cutting edge gimmick will be a repeat. Conspiracies, sticking it to the man all been done. Jericho had the leg up cause when he did this, it was fresh.

why does everybody say CM Punk is the next chris jericho or the next stone cold steve austin or anything like that?!?!!! let punk be punk is their simliarties to him and chris jericho? of course but hes not chris jericho 2.0 punk is his own person! im getting sick of all these comparisions...

Punk is 32 Jericho is 40, it's safe to say you have a valid point. But really anything that Punk does will just make him more of a Jericho imitator. Any step towards this outspoken cutting edge gimmick will be a repeat. Conspiracies, sticking it to the man all been done. Jericho had the leg up cause when he did this, it was fresh.
CM Punks gimmick isn't entirely new, now, it's a new take on it. However, don't act like Jericho invented this whole sticking it to the man thing. It's been done forever. The Horsemen were kind of "the man" in that they pretty much did what they want. Shit before Jericho there was Austin.

I don't see Punk as like either Austin or Jericho, some of the character motives are similar, but the way they go about them are totally different.

No way CM Punk will go further in the biz, Jericho has gone further than most give him credit for. First ever Undisputed WWE Champion. Since Jericho, HHH, Hogan, Taker, Rocky, Lesnar, Punk and Del Rio have all held the Undisputed title but Jericho was first. There are very few things that can be done in this decade that surpass what was done in the last decade. Back in the good ol' day, titles didn't change hands so rapidly. Back then, the World Champion was one to be feared, the greatest wrestler on the roster. It's a whole nutha' story now. Jericho made it so far in the biz because he did it all when it was the right time to do it, now it amounts to a whole lot less than it did. Title reigns used to go for months and months, now we'll be uber lucky if Del Rio remains champ for the next couple weeks let alone a month.

So according to you a wrestler deserves to be rated higher than another wrestler just on the basis of the fact that he has wrestled in a, in your terms, "Better Era"? That would mean Big Show and Kane are better than John Cena and Randy Orton. They also won titles in the Attitude Era. But that is not the case at all.

Also Chris Jericho winning the undisputed title did nothing for Chris Jericho. You would expect him to be higher on the card after a title run. What was Jericho doing at Backlash 2002? He was cutting a promo towards the middle of the card. Holding a title does not make you a good wrestler, it is what you do with the title that seals the deal. And Jericho's reign as champ was overshadowed by the other things that were happening during that time most notably an Austin/ Booker T feud, the return of the nWo, Undertaker's Big Evil avatar and even the return of HHH. Jericho's build up towards his match with HHH at WrestleMania was one of the worst I have ever seen. It involved him roaming around with Stephanie McMahon's dog, which you may remember. And that as I have already mentioned was Jericho's biggest moment. In the end, it has only ended up as something for Jericho to brag about. He is never seen in the league of men like Austin, Rock, Undertaker, HHH, the top guys he wrestled with during that period.

Let me make another point that will better explain how Punk will never overshadow Y2J. Let's compare Hogan and Cena. Hogan, held the title 6 times, Cena almost doubles that with 11. Hogan had 1 tag team title run, with Edge, Cena had 4. Hogan never touched a mid-card title, Cena held the US title 3 times. Cena has won more matches than most HOFers and he's not even half way done. Why will Cena never surpass the Hulkster? Seems like Cena has better accolades right? Well Hogan did it when wrestling had substance. Hogan did it when it really mattered. Title reigns went for half to whole years back when, the WWE is a whole different company now.

What a pathetic comparison! Everyone knows that Cena will never surpass the Hulkster but that fact has nothing to do with title reigns or the era Hulk wrestled in. It has to do with the simple fact that Hulk made wrestling into a global entertainment phenomenon and fashioned two of the most profitable periods in wrestling history: The HulkaMania Era and even the Attitude Era which would have never existed had it not been for the nWo.

Punk will never surpass Jericho, because there is nothing he can do now that can overlook what Jericho has already done. Punk will be the next Y2J and he will do a great job at being a mimic of the Best in the World, but he will never be better, his career will never go further no matter what.

It does not matter if Punk did the gimmick after Jericho and in any case there are plenty of differences in the gimmicks as well. I reiterate to my previous question: Punk is the Central figure in the hottest story in the WWE at the moment. When has Jericho done so?

Now one storyline does not make a performer but if things continue this way there can be no reason why Punk should not surpass Jericho. Jericho may have had a somewhat similar gimmick to that of Punk and yet he could not transalate a cool gimmick into the success that Punk is seeing at the moment. Mind you success is not winning titles or wrestling in the Attitude Era.

Punk and Jericho really aren't that much alike. For one, CM Punk is big in the media. Two, Jericho has a band. Three, Punk can't fly like Jericho.

CM Punks gimmick isn't entirely new, now, it's a new take on it. However, don't act like Jericho invented this whole sticking it to the man thing. It's been done forever. The Horsemen were kind of "the man" in that they pretty much did what they want. Shit before Jericho there was Austin.

I don't see Punk as like either Austin or Jericho, some of the character motives are similar, but the way they go about them are totally different.

Another good point is that Y2J was not first to do it, but it seems as though Punk is taking pages from Jericho's book. Jericho was the "Best in the World at was I Do" in WCW he had a great conspiracy storyline going always been cutting edge and outspoken. Really seems like Punk is the new age Jericho.

So according to you a wrestler deserves to be rated higher than another wrestler just on the basis of the fact that he has wrestled in a, in your terms, "Better Era"? That would mean Big Show and Kane are better than John Cena and Randy Orton. They also won titles in the Attitude Era. But that is not the case at all.

Also Chris Jericho winning the undisputed title did nothing for Chris Jericho.

Explain it to me why it was harder to make a name for yourself back in the day in oppose to now? We got Sheamus Del Rio and Swagger all winning world titles in their first years, no one could dream of that a decade ago. Chris Jericho worked harder to get where he got than Punk did. It has alot to do with the time period and if you can't see that then you're ignorant.
And if you really think becoming the first WWE Undistputed Champion did nothing for Y2J, you need to get your head checked. Maybe his WWE career was a bit idle for awhile after the run, but winning those championships and being first to do it is an accolade not many can match.

Explain it to me why it was harder to make a name for yourself back in the day in oppose to now? We got Sheamus Del Rio and Swagger all winning world titles in their first years, no one could dream of that a decade ago. Chris Jericho worked harder to get where he got than Punk did. It has alot to do with the time period and if you can't see that then you're ignorant.

There are two world titles in the scene currently and then again nobody is saying that every decision is a correct decision. Kane also got the World Title less than a year into his debut and so it was imaginable even a decade ago. The main reason, though, is the availability of more opportunities.

But that has nothing to do with the discussion at hand. Even if Jericho has worked harder, tell me when has he made an impact like Punk made a few weeks ago. When has Jericho who has worked both in the AE as well as in this inferior era as you put it, been the central figure of the hottest storyline in the company? Working hard matters dogshit if you cannot make it transalate into success.

And if you really think becoming the first WWE Undistputed Champion did nothing for Y2J, you need to get your head checked. Maybe his WWE career was a bit idle for awhile after the run, but winning those championships and being first to do it is an accolade not many can match.

It did nothing for Y2J. He never main evented again till around 2005 when he feuded with John Cena and that was also done for a PPV or two to get Cena over.

That has always been Jericho's job, to get people over. He has always been a midcarder who gets drafted to the main event from time to time. That is an undisputable fact. He has never drawn and hardly ever created any buzz.

I tend to look beyond mere statistics when I analyze a wrestler and when you do so the picture will become clearer as to how overrated Y2J is among the IWC.

Not quite. Jericho and Punk have made fun of Trips' relationship for different reasons. I don't really see any othet similarities. Punk is using information from reports online at sites like ours as fuel for his promos. Jericho was just being sarcastic. Also, Punk winning at Money In the Bank was nowhere near as big as Jericho winning the Undisputed Championship. To compare, Punk would had to have defeated WWE Champion Cena and World Champion Orton in the same match to unify the titles, that is how huge that was. Punk and Jericho have little in common and while the threadstarter made an interesting analysis, I disagree because the list of similarities between the two guys is very short.

Another good point is that Y2J was not first to do it, but it seems as though Punk is taking pages from Jericho's book. Jericho was the "Best in the World at was I Do" in WCW he had a great conspiracy storyline going always been cutting edge and outspoken. Really seems like Punk is the new age Jericho.

Your basis that they're the same is he claims to be the best in the world? Harley Race used to say "best wrestler on God's green earth" Flair "greatest professional wrestler alive today" Hart "best there is best there was best there ever will be".

It isn't harder in either era to make a name for yourself. Being given titles doesn't mean people know who you are and that you're over. Jericho winning the undisputed title IS a big accolade. However, it didn't make Jericho more over. It didn't suddenly make Jericho this amazing star. Kinda proves my point in other threads that clean wins and long, prestigious title reigns don't get you over.

In today's wrestling it's easier to make a name for yourself as a YOUNGER wrestler. That's because the talent pool is lower and any fuckhead can train people. There are soooo many guys coming out of training that can do moves (kinda) but don't know psychology. So WWE just takes them directly and gets them as ready as possible. I think it's harder to get over as a young guy because there are so many little details that just need to come naturally that usually takes ring time and promo time to master. It's apples and oranges.

There are two world titles in the scene currently and then again nobody is saying that every decision is a correct decision. Kane also got the World Title less than a year into his debut and so it was imaginable even a decade ago. The main reason, though, is the availability of more opportunities.

But that has nothing to do with the discussion at hand. Even if Jericho has worked harder, tell me when has he made an impact like Punk made a few weeks ago. When has Jericho who has worked both in the AE as well as in this inferior era as you put it, been the central figure of the hottest storyline in the company? Working hard matters dogshit if you cannot make it transalate into success.

It did nothing for Y2J. He never main evented again till around 2005 when he feuded with John Cena and that was also done for a PPV or two to get Cena over.

That has always been Jericho's job, to get people over. He has always been a midcarder who gets drafted to the main event from time to time. That is an undisputable fact. He has never drawn and hardly ever created any buzz.

I tend to look beyond mere statistics when I analyze a wrestler and when you do so the picture will become clearer as to how overrated Y2J is among the IWC.
I agree with a lot about what you say about Jericho. Jericho isn't as big of a star as the IWC thinks and he's not as over as the IWC thinks. Hoever, the guy who can get people over, much like the really good offensive lineman, is a critical guy you need who is under-appreciated. Jericho is probably over appreciated by the IWC though.

I agree with a lot about what you say about Jericho. Jericho isn't as big of a star as the IWC thinks and he's not as over as the IWC thinks. Hoever, the guy who can get people over, much like the really good offensive lineman, is a critical guy you need who is under-appreciated. Jericho is probably over appreciated by the IWC though.

I understand that he does an important job but even that aspect is much overrated by the IWC. People think that Jericho is doing a favour to the business by putting people over. I don't think his intentions are nearly as honorable. By putting people over, Jericho stays relevant in the business. He will never be a draw on the level of even an Orton let alone guys like Hogan, Austin or Cena and so he has to do something else to remain relevant. He does not bitch or hold down people because he is a good guy or something but because he cannot just plain afford to do so.

Putting people over is Jericho's USP. It is what has kept him relevant in the business for so many years. If he was a bitch, I'm pretty sure WWE would have severed ties with him long ago.

I understand that he does an important job but even that aspect is much overrated by the IWC. People think that Jericho is doing a favour to the business by putting people over. I don't think his intentions are nearly as honorable. By putting people over, Jericho stays relevant in the business. He will never be a draw on the level of even an Orton let alone guys like Hogan, Austin or Cena and so he has to do something else to remain relevant. He does not bitch or hold down people because he is a good guy or something but because he cannot just plain afford to do so.

Putting people over is Jericho's USP. It is what has kept him relevant in the business for so many years. If he was a bitch, I'm pretty sure WWE would have severed ties with him long ago.
I agree. I think this is a HUGE reason why guys who aren't the big stars are typically net darlings. The net fans are all about 'finding the real story' so to them a guy who jobs a lot is a "good guy" a "babyface" because he's agreeing to lose. It's why I think a lot of guys don't like Cena. He wins a lot, so to them, he's "holding people down", a "heel" move to them.

The reality is that ANYONE who is booked to be a star will take it and ANYONE who isn't as over as the guy they are wrestling is asked to job, unless they're a mark, will job.

I like Jericho though. Then again, I appreciate Santino too. I think Santino is an important part of the show. Everyone likes to focus on the stars as important parts of the show. Just like the Quarterback or starting pitcher. However, the catcher who can bring out the best in the pitcher, the offensive lineman who protects the QB, these guys are all important and the show wouldn't work without everyone doing their job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back